Hints and tips on what to buy in the US and what to buy here

I find most things cheaper by far. American brand clothes and shoes super cheap compared to here. Housewares, particularly manchester definately cheaper. Last trip I bought quality bath sheets cheaper than a quality facewasher here. DD buys converse on every trip. She has picked high tops up for as little as $10.00 at outlets. DS games are always a good buy. Scrapbooking and craft supplies are definately much cheaper.

If only I could have stuffed the KitchenAid into my suitcase! It was $185 in Macy's before the visitors discount!!

What you mean the kitchenaid mixer was $185!!!!! Oh my goodness that is on my list.

Oh it's an essential item for any trip to the USA :rotfl2:

http://www.macys.com/store/about/visitor/index.jsp

Oh, it has dropped to 10% I have just noticed, it used to be 11% :rotfl:

Anyway you go, usually to the gift wrap counter that is on one of the upper floors and you just ask for it. I was asked for a passport once, but most times I have just had to show my hotel room key and obviously my accent is enough.

US residents travelling get one that is valid for 5 days, I used to get those from the concierge desk in the hotel we stayed at in Hawaii, so it saved trying to find the counter in the store. So it's possible that they concierge at your hotel in NY may keep them, but just the 5 day ones. Otherwise grab the 30 day one in the store.

You get 10% off everything in the store except cosmetics and perfume. So if there is a sale rack with 25% off or 50% off, then you can still use the voucher for another 10% off. I once bought a pair of Tommy Hilfiger jeans, they were on a 50% off rack, there was 25% off storewide and I used the 10% voucher. I got 85% off, I paid $11 for them :cool1:

Thanks for that Aussietravellers. I really appreciate it.

What you mean the kitchenaid mixer was $185!!!!! Oh my goodness that is on my list.

Yes they are THAT cheap BUT........... I think with the voltage difference they are no good to use here or would not last long. Maybe someone with a little more electrical knowledge can help with that :confused3

Just think if they were that price here you could have several and just display one colour on the bench at a time depending on your mood :rotfl:

This is what I am really looking forward to - shopping in Hawaii (after our week at DLR of course)! My daughter is going to hate me (OK, maybe she's not my daughter, as she HATES shopping) - but I don't care, I am going to go crazy! Clinique moisturisers are the one thing apart from sneakers that I'm definitely going to buy. Anything else that ends up in my suitcase will be a bonus :cloud9:

Thanks for the info re the Macy's discount, I'll be sure to look that up while I'm there.

Yes unfortunately the Kitchenaid's weigh a ton to bring back and their voltage is different. Worth investigating further if you have the luggage allowance.

Yes unfortunately the Kitchenaid's weigh a ton to bring back and their voltage is different. Worth investigating further if you have the luggage allowance.

Thanks twinkleoz. There is six of us travelling from my family so I am sure I can find a place for it in one of their bags:thumbsup2. Although I will have to check out the whole voltage thing? Anyone got any advice there? Thanks for letting us all know about the price though.....oh what to buy what to buy. Make up is on the list as well. When we went last year I got the kids a lot of clothes from gap. They wash so well and do not get a size smaller in the dryer:laundy: like some of our brands do over here:confused3. I think it may be because they have to use the dryer in winter to dry their clothes due to a lot of places snowing so this means better fabrics and quality:thumbsup2

Just from a quick google and it will work but it's not ideal. :-/

I too would love to bring one back the next time but it looks like you need to use a transformer and it will work but it's not recommended by KitchenAid.

Q: Will the US-model KitchenAid mixer work in Europe?
A: Yes, they will work. But we do not recommend it. US units are 110V, Europe runs on 220V. This will slow down the unit causing it to overheat.

Q: Is it possible to use a converter or transformer?
A: That is possible as well, and again, we don't recommend it.

Q: If I take my mixer out of the country, is the warranty still valid?
A: If you take the unit out of the United States, it does void the warranty.

Would be great to hear from someone who has brought one back.

A good step down transformer that would allow high wattage appliances with engines (like blenders, mixers, hairdryers etc) generally cost a few hundred dollars.

You can pick up lower wattage step downs (for appliances that don't use so much juice, like computers, or stereos for example) for around the $100 mark.

I personally wouldn't use one on anything that involved a heating element, no matter what the wattage.

Thanks Oz-Kateer and everyone else, have decided to give it a miss. I would kick myself if something happened to it as $180US is still a lot of money if it ends up not working or over heating. I think I would be mixing and standing there thinking so are you over heated or going to blow up......he he he. But it is such a good price. Does anyone know if the make up is just cheap every where or is it just at the outlets? I joined the prime outlets last night......Oh gap, oshgoosh the list goes on here I come! Half the fun of going for me is the shopping. DH doesn't get it, but my mother in law does and we are going to leave the kids with him for the day and go to the outlets yay!

Make-up is cheap everywhere - Bloomingdales, Macy's etc and the standalone Mac stores. Promotions can vary throughout the stores though but their full price is super cheap anyway.

The outlets are well worth it for clothes.

I agree with Twinkle - makeup is cheap.

It markets pretty much the way ours do here - the "better" department stores sell the more expensive brands and the drug stores sell the Priceline/KMart type brands. And some, like MAC, have their own stores.

I bought up BIG last year on Max Factor, MAC and Clinique - I went into Macy's and spent just over $200USD and I got a BAGLOAD, which I worked out would have cost me almost $900 here. I'm still getting through all that so I don't think I'll be shopping large this trip.

I also bought some L'Oreal stuff for my mum which wasn't super cheap, about about three quarters of the price we pay here.

Do you think I could do both outlets in one day? Anyone done it, I will only have my MIL and DD (11) with me on that day. Have told DH the two younger ones are his that day to do with what he wants HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Do you think I could do both outlets in one day? Anyone done it, I will only have my MIL and DD (11) with me on that day. Have told DH the two younger ones are his that day to do with what he wants HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

There's no reason why you couldn't. They are open from 10am to 11pm Mon - Sat and 10am to 9pm on Sun, so it would be a long day, but you have time for both.

If you only end up choosing one, I think Prime is the best one. When I say I think, it's the one that is furthest from WDW, the closer one (which is about 5 minutes away) is not as good. So if you only get one in, go to the Prime Outlets. Make sure you register on their website before you go and print off the coupon for their coupon book. When you get to the outlets, in the middle of the mall there is an information hut and you present your coupon there and they will give you a coupon book :thumbsup2

Sounds good aussietravellers! Will do prime first then if I have time I will do the other. Can't wait. I have made our shopping day half way through our orlando part of the trip, so excited. My MIL will go home to Sydney after the WDW leg of our holiday so I am sending her home with what ever I can fit in her bags so that I don't have to cart it around yosemite!!!! We are also going to stay a few nights at disneyland after our NP trip so planning on hitting some shops there as well. I will see what my bank balance lets me do. Thanks for the tip about the coupon book.

If you only end up choosing one, I think Prime is the best one. When I say I think, it's the one that is furthest from WDW, the closer one (which is about 5 minutes away) is not as good. So if you only get one in, go to the Prime Outlets.

We went to the Prime outlets twice! The first time was before we had checked into WDW and had a hire car. We had been to another outlet centre during he day - but could not find converse/skeetches we were looking for and then went to Prime Outlets. Arriving at about 5pm once we had visited the Disney store my DD12 - was over shopping.

DD17 and I caught a cab back to the Prime outlets from WDW on our rest day, we no longer had a hire car - it was $50 each way!! So if you don't have a hire car, maybe check out if there are other public transport options available.

The Prime Outlets are definitely worth visiting, it is a must do on our (fingers crossed) next trip.

We went to the Prime outlets twice! The first time was before we had checked into WDW and had a hire car. We had been to another outlet centre during he day - but could not find converse/skeetches we were looking for and then went to Prime Outlets. Arriving at about 5pm once we had visited the Disney store my DD12 - was over shopping.

DD17 and I caught a cab back to the Prime outlets from WDW on our rest day, we no longer had a hire car - it was $50 each way!! So if you don't have a hire car, maybe check out if there are other public transport options available.

The Prime Outlets are definitely worth visiting, it is a must do on our (fingers crossed) next trip.

Yikes $50 each way:scared1: How far away is it?:confused3 Anyone know of a more price effective way of getting there. Other than car hire? I wonder if they have shuttles or something:surfweb:will have to start google and see:thumbsup2 Thanks for the heads up toystory.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter