Hints and tips on what to buy in the US and what to buy here

We went to the Prime outlets twice! The first time was before we had checked into WDW and had a hire car. We had been to another outlet centre during he day - but could not find converse/skeetches we were looking for and then went to Prime Outlets. Arriving at about 5pm once we had visited the Disney store my DD12 - was over shopping.

DD17 and I caught a cab back to the Prime outlets from WDW on our rest day, we no longer had a hire car - it was $50 each way!! So if you don't have a hire car, maybe check out if there are other public transport options available.

The Prime Outlets are definitely worth visiting, it is a must do on our (fingers crossed) next trip.

Yikes $50 each way:scared1: How far away is it?:confused3 Anyone know of a more price effective way of getting there. Other than car hire? I wonder if they have shuttles or something:surfweb:will have to start google and see:thumbsup2 Thanks for the heads up toystory.

$50 each way :scared1: We didn't ever pay any where near that.

We went to Mall at Millenia one day and from AKL and it was expensive (but not $50, maybe $40). So from then on we took the resort bus to DTD then took a cab from there. We went to Mall at Millenia another time, Florida Mall one day and Prime Mall once (Mall at Millenia anf Florida Mall are further away than Prime Mall) and paid about $26 each way.

So it's saves heaps by taking the taxi from DTD obviously. There is no way we would have gone if it had been $50 each way :scared1: Toy Story were you stuck in a traffic jam or something, I'm trying to work out how it was so expensive :confused3 Did you freak out at the price, gosh I'd have freaked, :rotfl2:

I just did a fare search and from Typhoon Lagoon (it's the closest to DTD) to Prime outlets is estimated at $27.

Here is the taxi estimator if anybody ever wants it to get an idea of how much taxi's will take to different places.
http://mearstransportation.com/services/taxi-fare-estimator.asp

Thanks aussietravellers, I was shocked at that taxi price as well! I think we will do just that catch the bus into dtd and cab it from there. Are there many cabs there? Are they near the bus stops any advice would be appreciated. Thanks heaps

Thanks aussietravellers, I was shocked at that taxi price as well! I think we will do just that catch the bus into dtd and cab it from there. Are there many cabs there? Are they near the bus stops any advice would be appreciated. Thanks heaps

The Taxis are closest to the Planet Hollywood side bus stop of DTD (there are two bus stops at DTD, think it's called the west side bus stop :confused3). There was a long line of them whenever we went just a short walk from the bus stop. On the way back we were dropped really close to the bus stops so we didn't have far to walk with our shopping to get the bus back to our resort.

We caught the cab from Marketplace at DTD - maybe it was $50 including a tip. I will have a look for my receipts.

And yes we could have been taken for 'a ride' - apparently there were a lot of McDonalds executives from around the world at a conference, because one of the taxi drivers asked us if that is who we were with.

I was totally disorientated in Orlando - while we had a hire car the 'navman' suggested the strangest routes, we felt like we were driving in circles.

I wish I had taken information on the public bus system - but as we hadn't anticipated wanting to leave WDW on the days we did not have a hire car I didn't. Maybe ask the question on the transport board.

ETA: I have just been through my receipts and don't seem to have one for the taxi. I asked DD17 and she thought we spent around $90 (including tips) on theround trip for the taxi fare.

Hey Guys

Can't remember who was asking but I brought a Kitchenaid back from the states two years ago. It was minimally damaged in the flight over (did not pack it well, out of the box) and for $20 the local service agent fixed it for me. We have it plugged into a transformer and I have used it heaps with no issues. My sister in law went through a lady in Bendigo who has set up a business of shipping items from the states to Australia and she purchased hers just after mine using a transformer and has no issues.

We are currently building a new house and have had the electrician wire some american wattage outlets into the house. Can't wait to not have to worry about those huge transformers anymore.

Mrs Shuttergirl

You asked about shopping in New York. Not my area of expertise as I am from the other side of the states. However Bleaker street is really fun and the village. I never think of New York as a place to get bargains just a place with some unique items. Also vintage shopping is really fun if you are into it.

thanks for the advice everyone . Looking forward to shopping in Hawaii . What is the Almona(think that is the name) like;
Also looking forward to the Disney outlet shopping at disneyland.

thanks for the advice everyone . Looking forward to shopping in Hawaii . What is the Almona(think that is the name) like;

Ala Mona is great they have Macy's Sears and ????? I forget the other departmant stores - lots of smaller shops and some nice resturants on the top level (we love Bubba Gumps) and a big food hall on the bottom level. They have a web site that worth having a look at. Its also like a central bus station so you can catch the bus to lots of places from there. Out the back of the centre very close there is a Walmart and across the road from there a Ross dress for less. At Macys go to the gift wrap counter (on one of the higher levels) and get a visitors discount card for an additional 10% off. There is also a small Foodland (supermarket) on the bottom level out the back of the centre.

There is also an outlet shopping centre which we have always driven to but I know there are shuttles there and across the road from the outlet place there is a target.

I Love Hawaii :love:

Neiman Marcus is the third department store at Ala Moana. And it is a great shopping centre.

There is a trolley (the Waikiki Trolley), it's the Pink Line and it is the Ala Moana Trolley. It goes around Waikiki to Ala Moana. It's $2 a ride, pretty cheap and you have to have the correct cash, the driver doesn't give change.

The outlet mall that Zaccy was talking about does have a shuttle, I think it's also run by Waikiki Trolley. We took the shuttle once, OMG, it was the bumpiest ride I have ever taken in my life :lmao: Seriously we were crying with laughter as we just could not believe how bumpy it was. We all had sore bums from banging up and down on the hard wooden seats :lmao: we were literally being bumped in the air out of our seat. And I was laughing wishing I had worn a sports bra. We wondered how we would cope on the way back, but luckily the return shuttle was over numbers so they sent a lovely aircondtioned mini van and we got to ride on that and it was bliss :lmao:

I love Hawaii too :love::lovestruc

Thanks for the advice i am so looking forward to the shopping and going on the trolley so much fun. Have six days in Hawaii before going on the cruise around the islands then onto disneyland, Have been reading all the advice with much interest thank you

Thank you for bumping this thread!! Nice to know what to buy before we leave :goodvibes

Buy up big on cosmetics and sports shoes - that's the best advice I can give you Chesire!

I loved the outlet centre in Hawaii (Waikele). My daughter, who hates shopping, happily trudged around every shop with me for 2 hours, buying herself a Guess wallet and some other brand of handbag with her money LOL. That's where I picked up our extra 3 suitcases from! It cost us $15 each from our hotel, and was a great way to spend a morning, before it got too muggy to drag everything around with us.

At DL, we went to the Garden Walk once, where I picked up a pair of Skechers (how DID I forget to pack sneakers for my trip?!) and a couple of pairs of sunnies. I loved Sephora in DTD, as well as the Quiksilver store, which had 50% off hoodies when we were there (I must have brought back at least 6 or 7 hoodies or jackets for other people!).

I LOVED shopping in the US - it was all guilt-free b/c I it wasn't going on credit, it was all going on my travel card :rotfl:

Great deals Heidispidi :thumbsup2

And a reason to buy makeup and shoes ... haha I love it! :goodvibes

The Fossil shop in DTD (DLR) was great - I got my watch for $65 ($110 here) and handbag for about $170 ($349 here). And I went mad on the Clinique at Sephora, and it was even cheaper duty free at LAX.

I find most things cheaper by far. American brand clothes and shoes super cheap compared to here. Housewares, particularly manchester definately cheaper. Last trip I bought quality bath sheets cheaper than a quality facewasher here. DD buys converse on every trip. She has picked high tops up for as little as $10.00 at outlets. DS games are always a good buy. Scrapbooking and craft supplies are definately much cheaper.

Hi Platypus67...

I noticed that you mentioned scrapbooking and craft supplies and I was wondering if there is a store close to WDW. I am looking forward to stocking up when I'm there as I hate the cost postage they charge...

Hi Platypus67...

I noticed that you mentioned scrapbooking and craft supplies and I was wondering if there is a store close to WDW. I am looking forward to stocking up when I'm there as I hate the cost postage they charge...

Thought I'd chime in here. I loved Mouse Memories which is just off the 192 in Kissimmee. I spent an absolute fortune here. We also had a couple of visits to Michaels and Joanns. There are a few of them around. I found Joanns easier to get to as it was on the 192. I also found quite a lot at Walmart.

Hi Platypus67...

Hi AussiePossum,

There used to be a store in Downtown Disney that sold scrapbooking supplies, but it was only disney related items. I had heard it wasn't there anymore, but on the last trip I'm sure I saw it. I decided to go back and have a look on another day but never got there. There wasn't a lot of variety but I picked up a few things back in 2007. I haven't really shopped in the Orlando area for supplies, but I'm sure there is a Michael's at one of the shopping centres. You would need a car to get there however.
For us Disney is always just a part of a bigger trip so I tend to get stuff in a lot of different places.

Thought I'd chime in here. I loved Mouse Memories which is just off the 192 in Kissimmee. I spent an absolute fortune here. We also had a couple of visits to Michaels and Joanns. There are a few of them around. I found Joanns easier to get to as it was on the 192. I also found quite a lot at Walmart.

Hi Princess Belle...

I had to google what Michaels and Joanns were because they aren't in Australia. Hopefully getting there by public transport or taxi is easy as I have no desire to scare myself by driving on the wrong side of the road. Thanks for the heads up on Walmart.. I was in a walmart store once stocking up on snacks, cereal, milk and bottled water for our last trip to DL that I didn't even think to look for scrapbooking gear... OK I was so excited about our first ever trip that I didn't even think about it.. How big of a kid am I? lol...

Hi Platypus 67...

I was planning on going on the I ride trolley service that travels along International Drive where there are a lot of shops. It also goes past Seaworld and up to some of the outlet shopping centres.. By the time I am back in the States I am hoping to come across a few scrapbooking stores. So want to bring back some more gear... Especially the punches..

I am putting a lot more thought into this trip and really want to explore the surrounding areas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter