How do you deal with bad days?

StitchesGr8Fan

DIS Veteran
How do you deal with those times in life when things seem to keep going wrong? Any sayings or anything that helps you see the bright side? How do you remind yourself that the rough times are temporary?

How do you deal with those times in life when things seem to keep going wrong? Any sayings or anything that helps you see the bright side? How do you remind yourself that the rough times are temporary?

Today was a hard day. I had a nice hot bath and a stiff drink when I got home, but I know that’s not for everyone. I used to have a lot more anxiety over things like that but as I age I see that things really do work themselves out and nothing is as bad as you think. I find that commiserating helps too. It’s so cliche, but I do remind myself that I have food, water, and a roof over my head which is more than many can say.

Last edited:

For the last couple weeks, I have been typing up each night, 5 things for which I was grateful for during the day.

What helps me through tough times is knowing that no matter what or when, Jesus is with and for me always. Each day is indeed a gift from God that I pray to live with thanks.

Definitely a hobby, volunteering, spending time with a friend...or if you have a dog, they are always good for an extra smile :)

Take care and I also hope brighter days ahead for you too.

I think of all the positive things in life and count my many blessings. Taking time for myself can be helpful too, sometimes a long shower, followed by a nice glass of wine while snuggling with the dog can turn the day around.

I have also had those bad days turn into months and years, but it really does help me, personally, to focus on all the things that are going right, even when everything feels wrong, there likely is still a lot of good stuff there somewhere.

I try to not let the emotion control me and take it one day at a time. Bad days happen.

I don't believe "rough times are temporary".

I think that rough times are a part of my life and will be forever. I try to live in the moment instead, focus on today. Now THAT is a hard adjustment.

just looking back, I know in a few days everything changes

This. Kind of.

I’ve experienced some major life stressors one after the other in the space of 18 months or thereabouts, enough to tip the most sane person over the edge. At the time it was relentless and never ending, then it stopped.

In the short term things you can do to help are,
- Look after yourself. Ditch alcohol and other addictive substances. Exercise. Look at your diet and get enough sleep.
- Get some outside help and support. How you do this is up to you, I wouldn’t be caught dead seeing a psychologist even though I recommend them to others, I preferred to use my friends and I saw my GP as well.
- A gratitude journal is a great idea. If you don’t want to write things down, then draw your feelings.

All the best x

I try to take things one day at a time. I ask myself if at this moment I’m ok and try not to get too overwhelmed with all the possible catastrophes that could happen.

Getting outside ALWAYS improves my outlook on life. There’s just something about a dirt path and nature that resets my mood.

Last edited:
“This too shall pass” has been my mantra for ages. It helps me through a lot, big and little. Everything is temporary.

I’m going through a rough patch right now, and I journal everyday. I make gratitude lists. I try and put myself in places I can find joy, and I try to socialize as much as I possibly can. Just getting up and going for a walk can be helpful.

I have a couple of mantras, one is "keep on swimming" I love that line from Dory. Another is "it could always be worse" and that there is someone out there who's job it is to drive a truck around and suck sewage out of porta potties...and it's not me and i'm not sharing a small jail cell with a ironically named man called "Tiny".

I used to tell myself that it can always be worse and then I discovered through experience that this is actually very true. I still struggle with a lot but I've learned to appreciate the little things and the people that matter. Plus ice cream. :)

Sunrise doesn't last all morning
A cloudburst doesn't last all day
Seems my love is up
And has left you with no warning
But it's not always going
To be this grey
All things must pass
All things must pass away
Sunset doesn't last all evening
A mind can blow those clouds away
After all this my love is up
And must be leaving
To be this grey
All things must pass
All things must pass
None of life's strings can last
So I must be on my way
And face another day
Now the darkness only stays at night time
In the morning it will fade away
Daylight is good
At arriving at the right time
To be this grey
All things must pass

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter