How do you deal with bad days?

It really depends on what it is.

Death of a friend. That isn't going away quickly.
Boss yelled at work. That will change and I can get over it.
Relationship strains that aren't my fault, but are there anyway. I have a hard time with that because I can't control it.
Loss of a job. Yup, could take months or years to catch up and see any silver lining.

And we all deal with things differently. I am convinced that personality plays a part. Some people can shrug things off and some can't. Although I am finding that many who can roll with the punches easily are on medication that helps them do that. :p

Thanks for all the kind words and ideas. The ideas aren’t just for me, they are for other family members who are having a tough time as well. Most of my bad days are because I’m worrying about what-ifs.
I understand the great worry of what-ifs. My oldest children will say they are depressed and having a rough time, which scares me deeply. So i go on and on with tips and try to help, then i get 'oh im fine mom, it was just a bad day!' They dont understand when my depression pops up its a dire situation. Worrying about others is very tough.

Most of my bad days are because I’m worrying about what-ifs.

It's a lot easier said than done, but quit worrying about the what-ifs. Worrying about them doesn't really help anything. What I always tell my kids (and live by) is control the things you can control. The parts of your life that you can't control, there's no reason to worry about them. The what-if could be good, the what-if could be bad. You deal with it either way.

This too shall pass has been comforting in my life. But I have also learned over time and circumstance that positive thinking isn't always the place to find comfort and move on and through these moments. One can find comfort in acceptance as well. Underrated choice, in my opinion.

Exercise, nature, music and a few swear words have always helped.

And surprisingly this quote - although it is from a tv show :rotfl: - changed a lot of my thinking in life. The bolded part.

Speaking about awful circumstances ----

They hit you out of nowhere. When bad things come, they come suddenly without warning. We rarely get to see the catastrophe coming. No matter how well we try to prepare for it.

We do our very best but sometimes it’s just not good enough. We buckle our seat belts, we wear a helmet, we stick to the lighted paths. We try to be safe. We try so hard to protect ourselves but it doesn’t make a damn bit of difference cause when the bad things come, they come out of nowhere. The bad things come suddenly with no warning, but we forget that sometimes that’s how the good things come too.

I guess that's just the beauty of life and of simple hope. :goodvibes We do forget.

We had a rough year in 2012. My grandmother passed away, brother had a serious accident, I was expecting and I'll from morning sickness severely, and then, to cap it all of DH got injured at the second job be was working part time to put away money for when I was on maternity leave. All of a sudden, the primary breadwinner was bringing in $67/week in WC benefits and I was struggling with caring for our entire family (DH & DD4 & DD2) while working 60/70 hours a week to make ends meet. I can't express the stress and fear DH wouldn't get better after his surgery (he was 28 when he was injured), or that we would lose the house or how I was going to come up with money to feed us. Literally everything fell on me and it was beyond too much.

But we pulled through the other side. It was hard and it was NOT a happy time. I remember sobbing uncontrollably when "Kentucky Homemade Christmas" came on the radio because I had no clue how I was going to get my kids gifts. But we did.

When I'm having a bad day, I remember those hard times because we found joy, somehow, those days. I remember how strong we are as a couple and I remember how strong I am. There were nights I just wanted to give up, but I kept fighting. I know we can get through anything, so when things look bad or I have a bad day, I remember the worse times we've been through and realize we can make it.

When I'm having a bad day, I remember those hard times because we found joy, somehow, those days. I remember how strong we are as a couple and I remember how strong I am. There were nights I just wanted to give up, but I kept fighting. I know we can get through anything, so when things look bad or I have a bad day, I remember the worse times we've been through and realize we can make it.

:hug:

Beautifully said. I feel the same way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter