• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How many snow days have your schools had so far this winter?

None. It has barely gotten out of the 20's as a low and has barely snowed here at all this year. The high today is 50 degrees. We currently live in the cold and snowy Midwest and get walloped at least once a season, but every big storm has passed just over or under us this year. (fingers crossed!)

Our high school prides itself on never closing, even when the elementary and middle schools do. They will "take excused under consideration" on absences that are weather-related when it is severely cold or tons of snow since they do not offer bussing at all, and many kids walk over 3 miles. My own kid walks 1.5 miles. I am not a wussy parent by any means, but when it is a -20 windchill, he is either getting a ride or not going! And we live in the middle of our block and have alley access to our garage (no driveway) like most of our town, so when there is 3 feet of snow and the plows haven't gotten to our alley yet, there is no way I am digging not only my car and parking pad in front of the garage out, but 300 feet of alley, too. My car gets stuck often enough all winter *after* they plow! So, we wait for the plows and work from home, and the kids get a snow day.

The only time our HS has closed since we have lived here was when there was a massive flood in April of one year and the basement of the school flooded. The police forced the school to be closed for 2 days to assist in safety and cleanup efforts.

Green Bay, WI area here. We've had 2 snow days and a few 2 hour delay days. We've actually had a pretty mild winter - no major snow storms and we barely have any snow now. Last week, they were predicting an 11-15" snowstorm for yesterday through tomorrow. As the week progressed, it turned into maybe a 3-5" storm. Then a freezing rain advisory. And now that today is here, we're getting a misty drizzle that's not even freezing because it's 34 degrees out. Totally not complaining!!

We live in NH and this my DDs third snow day (but our school has blizzard bags) Blizzard bags have school work to be completed at home in the event that school is cancelled. So first snow day is "free" and any subsequent snow days the kids have work to do. Our district has also had 2 hour delayed start a few days

None. It has barely gotten out of the 20's as a low and has barely snowed here at all this year. The high today is 50 degrees. We currently live in the cold and snowy Midwest and get walloped at least once a season, but every big storm has passed just over or under us this year. (fingers crossed!)

Our high school prides itself on never closing, even when the elementary and middle schools do. They will "take excused under consideration" on absences that are weather-related when it is severely cold or tons of snow since they do not offer bussing at all, and many kids walk over 3 miles. My own kid walks 1.5 miles. I am not a wussy parent by any means, but when it is a -20 windchill, he is either getting a ride or not going! And we live in the middle of our block and have alley access to our garage (no driveway) like most of our town, so when there is 3 feet of snow and the plows haven't gotten to our alley yet, there is no way I am digging not only my car and parking pad in front of the garage out, but 300 feet of alley, too. My car gets stuck often enough all winter *after* they plow! So, we wait for the plows and work from home, and the kids get a snow day.

The only time our HS has closed since we have lived here was when there was a massive flood in April of one year and the basement of the school flooded. The police forced the school to be closed for 2 days to assist in safety and cleanup efforts.

I think you live where I live. ;)

ETA: Not even kidding, I really think you do, LOL.

Last edited:

Chicago suburb here. We've had no snow days so far.

On our second snow day today (yesterday was the first.) We are is a rural/ suburban district and if the school buses can't get down into the valley, they have to close the schools. Our house is not far from my office so I walk to my mum's house where DD7 is staying instead of school and my boss picks me up in the company 4X4 truck. The office closed early at 3:30 yesterday to make sure people got home as the snow really started coming down. Main roads are fine, our municipal crews have done a great job clearing them. We have about 15cm (6") of wet heavy snow. We don't normally get snow or this much. Just north of Victoria BC Canada

We've had zero days. It's been a weird winter and hasn't snowed since mid-December though. For years, our schools never had snow days. Before the 2011 Groundhog Day blizzard, they hadn't had a snow day since the catastrophic 1967 blizzard. Since 2011 though, we've had a couple years with closures at the elementary schools due to excessively cold temps (thank you, polar vortex) since the majority of kids in our area walk to school.

My son is in 8th grade and wants a snow day soooooooooo bad because 8th graders don't have to make up the days, LOL. This winter isn't cooperating so far.

Just south of Seattle had it's first one yesterday. Fun of being in the lovely PNW is on average we get a single day of light snow, every other year or so. Everyone freaks out, and kids get a free day (Who am I kidding? Everyone gets a free day. Terrified of snow, over here). There was actually a delay in Seattle proper over the New Years holiday, when it snowed 4 DAYS BEFORE SCHOOL. Terrified of snow.

Today is our second snow day where the schools are closed. My daughter, however, commutes to college and her University is open for business. While it is a nice little break during the week, I would much rather have school end a few days earlier in the summer when the weather is nice.

Funny thing today is that there is nothing happening weatherwise right now. We are expecting sleet and freezing rain to start soon, however. Because our district encompasses two towns with lots of hills and young drivers going to the high school, I guess it is the right call to make.

What about where you live? Any snow days yet?

We've had 4 and schedule for 6, so looking forward to 2 more :) We're in Northern NY.

Last edited:
I am in Winnipeg in Canada, and it seems we get snow daily, we actually got a winters worth of snow in one month, but the biggest hit was actually on Christmas so schools were already closed. We will sometimes have the school busses don't run but that is rare.

No snow days, or even delays here! But if younnwed some snow let me know I have plenty to share!

Hey neighbour :)

We really have had a lot of snow this year and you're right, we did seem tok get it all at once. The piles of snow on street corners are getting ridiculous.

I want to say 3. My city had almost a foot, it was a big deal. I think we met our quota for the next few years,lol.

But today is 70 F and I am loving it.

Southern NH here, today is snow day #3. None of them have been "big" storms so far, a few inches each, just at bad travel times. Today is mostly because there is supposed to be ice. I remember getting the day off if there was a storm, not a few inches. :rolleyes: They incorporate 5 snow days into the schedule, so they are still under that.

Hey neighbour :)

We really have had a lot of snow this year and you're right, we did seem tok get it all at once. The piles of snow on street corners are getting ridiculous.

I can barely see getting out of my back lane!! Stay warm today, and tomorrow sounds worse for temp!!!!

North Dakota here. We've had 3 which is more then normal. My son is in 8th grade and I can only think of 1-2 days they cancelled in the past 8 years.

Northern Indiana here,

We have had 2 days so far. One had a built in make up day. For the other day our schools district does what we call e-learning. The kids log into a computer at home and essentially have school on the day off. To help with working parents etc the kids have a week to turn it in. Definitely do not like snow days when they happen, but I am always glad that my kids get out of school on time.

Ontario, Canada. We never have snow days. What we get instead are days when the busses have to be cancelled due to road conditions. The schools stay open, for whomever can make it in. We've had days when the handful of students who made it in through the storm ended up doing crafts in the gym with a couple of the staff.

The only time I recall them actually closing local schools was during the Ice Storm of 1998, when there were widespread power outages and conditions were bad enough that the Federal Government shut down for several days.

But as long as parents are getting into work, then the schools have to be open. They're not just places of learning, they're also childcare.

Also, there's no make up days. It's not even marked as an absence, as long as the parent calls it in that morning.

Shoreline CT, bordering along the CT River...

My kids have had 2 delays, one today, not sure why, Could of been icy in one of our towns that we share the regionals school system with??

One early dismissal last week and I picked my kids up and boy was that a scary drive as our middle school is up a 1/2 mile hill...slid up and made it down with one area of sliding and our HS has a little hill to get up to and I nearly didn't make it. The sanders came after. Those buses were inching down the hill!

And Thursday will either be a delay or cancellation but I am betting on cancellation.

Just northwest of Indianapolis and we've had 0 snow days, delays or early dismissals all year.

Timely thread. I live outside of Vancouver BC and we had a snow day yesterday and today so 2. It is the first time our entire district has called a snow day in over 20 years. My oldest daughter had a day off once in Grade one due to ice build up at the school. She is now in grade 8. These are definatley rare occasions for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter