How much is a rental worth?

Chili327

DIS Veteran
If I have a reservation already, but wanted to rent it out , how would I determine the going rate?

If I have a reservation already, but wanted to rent it out , how would I determine the going rate?
You can multiply the number of points by some per point value. It could be as low as $16 and as high as $25-$30 depending on the resort, villa size and dates.

Also, do I have to purchase a membership plan to post a rental? I’m not looking to rent multiple times, just this one that I’m thinking of doing something else during this years vacation window.

Last edited:
Also, do I have to purchase a membership plan to post a rental? I’m not looking to rent multiple times, just this one that I’m thinking of doing something else during this years vacation window.
There are different rules on here for renting points and renting a confirmed reservation, spend some time reading the info in rental forum.

If you want to rent a confirmed reservation with a check in date that is more than 30 days away, you will need to purchase either a PLATINUM or PREMIUM Rental Plan. Be sure to read this thread before posting on the DIS Rent/Transfer Forum:

REQUIRED READING BEFORE POSTING - DVC Rent/Transfer policies - UPDATED - January, 2022

It seems that most posters do NOT read the thread and thus their submission gets declined. Sadly, we decline quite a few more threads than we approve. Some declined offers do eventually get approved, but it can take a couple of days. Chuck and I are volunteers and are not on the boards 7 x 24.

Last edited:
Please do not share details of the resort and unit size you might want to rent. I deleted several posts (because many quoted the original one). General questions about rates are fine.

Please do not share details of the resort and unit size you might want to rent. I deleted several posts (because many quoted the original one). General questions about rates are fine.

A few years ago we were in a situation where we needed to rent points or we'd lose them. We actually were able to use them ourselves in the end - actually found a 6N reservation over July 4th within the 60 day period. However, thinking that would never happen, we decided to try renting the points. I actually did it wrong and couldn't use our points in holding, but I did acquire a returning renter so I guess it worked out, but I just picked a value based on reading these threads. This year when the renter returned with a request I increased the point value but they still wanted to rent. DH says I should've made the point value higher but we increased it by $3, which I thought was a lot. Maybe if they return next year I'll increase it again but I'm doing this all just based on anecdotal knowledge.

It would be nice to know how people who rent come to their point value.

If you want to rent a confirmed reservation with a check in date that is more than 30 days away, you will need to purchase either a PLATINUM or PREMIUM Rental Plan. Be sure to read this thread before posting on the DIS Rent/Transfer Forum:

REQUIRED READING BEFORE POSTING - DVC Rent/Transfer policies - UPDATED - January, 2022

It seems that most posters do NOT read the thread and thus their submission gets declined. Sadly, we decline quite a few more threads than we approve. Some declined offers do eventually get approved, but it can take a couple of days. Chuck and I are volunteers and are not on the boards 7 x 24.
Yes I read through it, but I thought it said you have to buy a membership “unless”… so I thought it was just for outsiders or people very new to the forums.

If I do it wrong, I can redo it right?

Ah gotcha, I was trying to gauge the value.

A few years ago we were in a situation where we needed to rent points or we'd lose them. We actually were able to use them ourselves in the end - actually found a 6N reservation over July 4th within the 60 day period. However, thinking that would never happen, we decided to try renting the points. I actually did it wrong and couldn't use our points in holding, but I did acquire a returning renter so I guess it worked out, but I just picked a value based on reading these threads. This year when the renter returned with a request I increased the point value but they still wanted to rent. DH says I should've made the point value higher but we increased it by $3, which I thought was a lot. Maybe if they return next year I'll increase it again but I'm doing this all just based on anecdotal knowledge.

It would be nice to know how people who rent come to their point value.
I figured I would start high and if the fish bite then great, otherwise I’ll have to lower it until it rents. It’s a long ways away (over 7months)

Yes I read through it, but I thought it said you have to buy a membership “unless”… so I thought it was just for outsiders or people very new to the forums.

If I do it wrong, I can redo it right?

Chuck and Carol were very helpful on my first rental listing last week. I made a couple of mistakes which they helped me to understand. I successfully rented out some points that were to expire May 31.

I offered the points at a discount due to lack of resort availability and the time frame. It paid for half of my closing costs on my new BLT contract. Probably invested about 3-4 hours in the process.

https://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-vacation-club/dvcforumplan.htm
"The Silver Plan fee will be waived for posters who meet the following requirements:

• Has had her/his DIS username for at least 6 months, and
  • Has made 8 or more posts in at least 4 of the past 6 months (months are counted on a daily basis the same as DVC computes 11 month/7 month priorities), and
  • Has made at least 50 non-Rent/Trade Board posts in the last 6 months as verified by the DIS 'Search' engine. (Posts made on the DVC Rent/Trade Board will not count towards this requirement)."

I just do it on a price per point basis. The going rate if you rent points through a broker is between $16 to $20 (what you actually receive as owner) depending on the resort and booking window. If you are doing the leg work yourself, I would add a couple of $$ on, so between $18 and $22pp. If it is a particularly desirable reservation or dates are ‘sold out’, you may be able to charge more (e.g BWV for a standard studio or AKL value). I have rented a few times as there were a lot of banked points on my resale contracts. It can be a pain and take up a lot of time. If it is only a few points I wold highly recommend using a rental website!

https://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-vacation-club/dvcforumplan.htm
"The Silver Plan fee will be waived for posters who meet the following requirements:

• Has had her/his DIS username for at least 6 months, and
  • Has made 8 or more posts in at least 4 of the past 6 months (months are counted on a daily basis the same as DVC computes 11 month/7 month priorities), and
  • Has made at least 50 non-Rent/Trade Board posts in the last 6 months as verified by the DIS 'Search' engine. (Posts made on the DVC Rent/Trade Board will not count towards this requirement)."
So if I meet the requirements I don’t have to buy a membership?
*edit*
Nope, my confirmed res is further than 30 days out so I have to buy something, just not sure what. (as carol posted premium or platinum only for res made over 30days out) seems a shame to have to pay for that many threads, when I only need one. lol

I just do it on a price per point basis. The going rate if you rent points through a broker is between $16 to $20 (what you actually receive as owner) depending on the resort and booking window. If you are doing the leg work yourself, I would add a couple of $$ on, so between $18 and $22pp. If it is a particularly desirable reservation or dates are ‘sold out’, you may be able to charge more (e.g BWV for a standard studio or AKL value). I have rented a few times as there were a lot of banked points on my resale contracts. It can be a pain and take up a lot of time. If it is only a few points I would highly recommend using a rental website!
As someone who has rented I look for $18/point. I would be interested in going up to $20-$22 a point if it was a perfect match. Anything under $16 I will make my days work
So my hope of being able to get $30pp is basically a dream. lol (1% chance)

Last edited:
So if I meet the requirements I don’t have to buy a membership?
*edit*
Nope, my confirmed res is further than 30 days out so I have to buy something, just not sure what. lol

So my hope of being able to get $30pp is basically a dream. lol (1% chance)
There is always a chance. LOL........But the reason to go and rent points is to save a bit of money. If it's not a savings or not much of one, I would rather use my Credit Card and get points. Right now I can book a room from Disney Directly for the equivalent of $26.82 per night/point. Renting from Disney is not stressful and I can CXL or change plans. (I edited to add per night/point)

Last edited:
Why not just use a rental broker? There are many sites out there and I've gotten super fast results through them and don't have to deal with the renter at all. Yes, they take some off the top, but for me it's worth it for the speed, convenience, and small time commitment on my part. I've never posted my points for rent on this forum, but what I've noticed is many people posting for a similar amount I get from the broker for doing less work. And I notice many "bumping" their posts here, which to me suggests they are not getting quick results. A broker, at the least, opens your posting a wider audience of renters. (And it's totally free to list it)

There is always a chance. LOL........But the reason to go and rent points is to save a bit of money. If it's not a savings or not much of one, I would rather use my Credit Card and get points. Right now I can book a room from Disney Directly for the equivalent of $26.82 per night. Renting from Disney is not stressful and I can CXL or change plans.
I think I’m not understanding… where can you get a room for $26 per night??
Is there another All Star “motel” I don’t know about. lol

Why not just use a rental broker? There are many sites out there and I've gotten super fast results through them and don't have to deal with the renter at all. Yes, they take some off the top, but for me it's worth it for the speed, convenience, and small time commitment on my part. I've never posted my points for rent on this forum, but what I've noticed is many people posting for a similar amount I get from the broker for doing less work. And I notice many "bumping" their posts here, which to me suggests they are not getting quick results. A broker, at the least, opens your posting a wider audience of renters. (And it's totally free to list it)
Yea, the thing is that the confirmed res I have can be sold out pretty often and not cheap, so I wanted to get the max out of it and I still have months to do it.
I’ll probably just end up using one of the rental companies.

Last edited:
I'll second this. I've only rented points twice over the years and used a broker. It's easy and straightforward, and the delta between doing it myself and what I received from the broker was small enough to make the convenience worth it.

I think I’m not understanding… where can you get a room for $26 per night??
Is there another All Star “motel” I don’t know about. lol
Per point, not per night. DVC Rental "only" charges $26 per point for their most requested rental locations at 11 months and less at 7 months, and they do offer a version of a cancellation policy. If you want to rent, there is basically zero chance of you getting $30 a point. Realistically, the most you would get per point is about $22 right now. Just take a look at the rental board and see how much people are renting their points for. As others have mentioned, it is anywhere between $18 and $22 per point. If economic conditions get even worse, prices could go lower. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter