How safe is the area by Lowes Hotel - DL Trip?

mikeishere

Mouseketeer
How safe is the area around the Lowes Hotel Hollywood solo? This is the first hotel on the Backstage Disneyland ABD trip before head onto the DLR and you get some free time on the trip so I’m just wondering how safe the area is on own? A Netflix documentary ‘Cecil Hotel’ makes LA sound extremely dangerous. I’m a Uk tourist so don’t know areas aswell as USA nationals.

Mikeishere- lifelong CA resident here: the Cecil hotel is on Skid Row. It's a notoriously dangerous area. Lowe's Hollywood is a very different area. It should be as safe as any big city. Just take usual precautions.

Many folks who visit Universal Hollywood stay at Lowe's and ABD isn't choosing a hotel in a sketch area for their tour. You'll be fine.

Mikeishere- lifelong CA resident here: the Cecil hotel is on Skid Row. It's a notoriously dangerous area. Lowe's Hollywood is a very different area. It should be as safe as any big city. Just take usual precautions.

Many folks who visit Universal Hollywood stay at Lowe's and ABD isn't choosing a hotel in a sketch area for their tour. You'll be fine.

Thanks for the reassurance :) Won’t go near Cecil or downtown will stick in my area.
Oh so a lot of people visiting Universal stay at Lowes? As I was looking at hotels by universal for after ABD and see the Hilton. What’s the better hotel for universal ?

Thanks for the reassurance :) Won’t go near Cecil or downtown will stick in my area.
Oh so a lot of people visiting Universal stay at Lowes? As I was looking at hotels by universal for after ABD and see the Hilton. What’s the better hotel for universal ?
Agree with @rapunzallover, the Lowe’s area of Hollywood should be fine. It is just behind the Hollywood & Hjghland center, a block or so from Hollywood Blvd & the Walk of Fame. Always lots of people around, be alert as you would be in any large city & you should be fine,

re Universal Studios area, the Hilton Universal City is the closest hotel, right there in the Universal Citywalk area. There is a metro (like the Tube) a block from the Lowe’s at Hollywood & Highland, that the next stop west is Universal City, if you did not want to move hotels.

Agree with @rapunzallover, the Lowe’s area of Hollywood should be fine. It is just behind the Hollywood & Hjghland center, a block or so from Hollywood Blvd & the Walk of Fame. Always lots of people around, be alert as you would be in any large city & you should be fine,

re Universal Studios area, the Hilton Universal City is the closest hotel, right there in the Universal Citywalk area. There is a metro (like the Tube) a block from the Lowe’s at Hollywood & Highland, that the next stop west is Universal City, if you did not want to move hotels.

Thanks for this.

Hilton, for sure. It's closer. So is the Sheraton. Lowe's is downtown, not far, but Sheraton and Hilton have a hotel shuttle to the park and the Universal city walk.

I would not do Universal after the ABD though. Coming from the UK, you probably don't realize that LA is huge and the tour takes you to two far apart places. It starts in Hollywood and then goes to Disneyland, so you will be at DL when it ends. That's about an hour from Hollywood, in Anaheim. So you'd be going backwards. It would be silly to do that. You'd also lose your post trip airport transfer.

Your best bet is Universal before. Either stay close to the park at Hilton or Sheraton and then move to Lowe's when the ABD starts (you'll lose your airport pickup, but you can taxi) or you can just go to Universal from Lowe's staying there a day or two early.

Check with Lowe's about transportation to the park first. I know from my last Universal trip that they have a Universal concierge but I stayed at the Hilton so I don't know what they have available.

Hilton, for sure. It's closer. So is the Sheraton. Lowe's is downtown, not far, but Sheraton and Hilton have a hotel shuttle to the park and the Universal city walk.

I would not do Universal after the ABD though. Coming from the UK, you probably don't realize that LA is huge and the tour takes you to two far apart places. It starts in Hollywood and then goes to Disneyland, so you will be at DL when it ends. That's about an hour from Hollywood, in Anaheim. So you'd be going backwards. It would be silly to do that. You'd also lose your post trip airport transfer.

Your best bet is Universal before. Either stay close to the park at Hilton or Sheraton and then move to Lowe's when the ABD starts (you'll lose your airport pickup, but you can taxi) or you can just go to Universal from Lowe's staying there a day or two early.

Check with Lowe's about transportation to the park first. I know from my last Universal trip that they have a Universal concierge but I stayed at the Hilton so I don't know what they have available.

I thought Disney and universal where close I didn’t realise. Taking a quick look on google maps LAX airport to universal looks the same amount of time Disney to universal would be.
I was considering the Hilton actually.

From experience is one extra day at Disneyland after ABD trip enough ? How many days does universal take?

Disney and Knotts are close--maybe that was the confusion? Disney and Universal can be a long time away depending on traffic. I want to say it took us 2 hours on our ABD tour as for some reason they had us heading down right in the teeth of traffic :( I've stayed at both hotels. The Hilton can't be beat for convenience. Lowe's is fine, too. As others have said, the area around Lowe's isn't bad, but due to it being a big tourist area you'll want to be on the lookout for pickpockets, etc. Treat it like London and you'll be fine.

From experience is one extra day at Disneyland after ABD trip enough ? How many days does universal take?
Do you want only the park or the studio tour also,which is separate? My niece & sister did two days just in the park & felt that was good - gave them time to do everything once plus repeat some favorites like the Harry Potter stuff (niece is a HP fan). It is only one park here in CA, unlike Florida which has three parks, so two days should be sufficient.

When is your tour ? And what else is on the itinerary? I m sure everything will be very safe and organized with a Disney Adventure?

Last edited:
How safe is the area around the Lowes Hotel Hollywood solo? This is the first hotel on the Backstage Disneyland ABD trip before head onto the DLR and you get some free time on the trip so I’m just wondering how safe the area is on own? A Netflix documentary ‘Cecil Hotel’ makes LA sound extremely dangerous. I’m a Uk tourist so don’t know areas aswell as USA nationals.
I have stayed at the Lowe’s Hollywood hotel several times. Hollywood blvd. can be a little crowded but just pay attention to your surroundings. The hotel,is part of the Hollywood and Highland shopping center that I love. You can access it directly from the hotel without going on Hollywood blvd. The Roosevelt hotel across the street is cool to visit and the Disney fountain place across the street is fun to visit. We took an Uber to Universal from the hotel. The Dolby theater is cool too. Enjoy your trip

Do you want only the park or the studio tour also,which is separate? My niece & sister did two days just in the park & felt that was good - gave them time to do everything once plus repeat some favorites like the Harry Potter stuff (niece is a HP fan). It is only one park here in CA, unlike Florida which has three parks, so two days should be sufficient.

Studio tour also I’d like to do

Studio tour also I’d like to do
Then you might want to look over what Universal park offers & try to figure how much time you’ll need there. Is a day & a half Ok, for half day for the studios tour? Or, do you want two days in the park, then the studio tour the morning of the day the Backstage Magic AbD starts? You could definitely do the studio tour in the morning, move to Hollywood after that, & then have time to explore Hollywood area a bit before the AbD.

We stayed in the Lowes back in 2019 and loved the location. It’s right by the Hollywood & Highland shopping area and there are dining locations there too. It’s a very short walk to the Chinese Theatre and Disney’s El Capitan theatre is just across the street from that. The rooms were comfortable too.

This is what we did before our Backstage Magic ABD in 2019. I can't remember which hotel we stayed at, but it was close to Universal. We went to Uni-H before the tour, took an Uber to Lowe's.

There's a hotel right next to it that's utterly terrible. It was on Hotel Hell, where they found a syringe in one of the rooms. I had the misfortune of staying there on a work trip, and left without sleeping as it reeked of urine and was likely a hotbed for drugs and other untoward activity.

Hollywood & Highland is fine, generally. It's certainly not as glamorous as people think "Hollywood" is – it's like Times Square levels of kitsch and weirdness.

I’m an overseas female solo traveler and stayed at the Loews twice. Never an issue. Hollywood Blvd. cleaned up in the last 20 years.
Ps. I also watched the program on the Cecil hotel…pretty scary

I’m an overseas female solo traveler and stayed at the Loews twice. Never an issue. Hollywood Blvd. cleaned up in the last 20 years.
Ps. I also watched the program on the Cecil hotel…pretty scary

Oh that’s good to hear. Oh yeah a very scary hotel

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter