Hurricane Irma Updates ***Check First Post for closures and more info***

Same here. We regularly get the same winds you mention here in the mountains of NC. Never any real problems. This fact, did not, however, prevent people from descending like vultures on every WalMart, grocery store, and convenience store in sight, and emptying them out. People have no perspective. Also, can someone tell me why when a big storm threatens, people rush to buy perishable items (milk, bread, eggs) first? I find it odd because these items will be spoiled first, especially if the power fails. Seems like canned foods and nonperishable items would be what people would stock up on, but the exact opposite seems to be true. You can live a long, long time without ever eating milk, bread, and eggs. In fact, your entire life :)

because human physiology craves French Toast during periods of stress

So this is the quote from DIS main page on what actually happened in Orlando:

"Hurricane Irma has passed over the Orlando area, but with less impact than initially feared. However, winds up to 43 mph and gusts up to 69 mph are still being reported near downtown Orlando."

I'm trying to put this into perspective, because we had wind gusts of 40 MPH here in Saskatchewan yesterday and no one blinked. People were golfing, doing yard work and going about their day. That's just a regular windy day here. We get thunderstorms all the time here with 60 MPH wind gusts. Nothing gets damaged and no one even stops what they are doing.

The 180 MPH winds thats crazy, but what hit Orlando last night just seems like a regular summer thunderstorm to me.
You say had 40 mph gusts in Saskatchewan. Now imagine those 40 mph winds, continuously for several hours, plus gusts up to almost 70 mph. That is not really a "normal" thunderstorm.

Anyone that has been through a hurricane, or tropical storm, can tell you that they are nothing like a gusty thunderstorm.

I've now been through a tropical storm while staying on Treasure Island in the 80s. And Hurricane Matthew last year while visiting the World. Even at Cat 2, Matthew was something to behold.

Saw this post on another site that had a good summary of damage at WDW:
http://thedisworld.com/2017/09/11/2752/

• Animal Kingdom – lots of trees down, debris
  • Epcot – trees down and flooding
  • Disney’s All Star Resorts – several trees down
  • Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge – flooding in the lobby area, trees down
  • Disney’s Art of Animation – trees down
  • Disney’s Beach Club – tree debris
  • Disney’s Boardwalk – tree limbs down, debris
  • Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort – tree down, debris
  • Disney’s Contemporary Resort – 90mph wind speeds recorded and transformers exploded near the resort, some trees down
  • Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa – leaky roofs
  • Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort – large trees downed, some longhouse roof damage
  • Disney’s Pop Century – trees down/uprooted, lots of tree debris
  • Disney’s Port Orleans French Quarter – main building closed due to flooding, several downed trees, lots of tree debris, some pool fencing and light fixtures down
  • Disney’s Port Orleans Riverside – large trees down and uprooted
  • Disney’s Saratoga Springs – trees down, lots of debris
  • Disney’s Wilderness Lodge – large pine tree down blocking bus entrance, trees down in parking lot
  • Disney’s Yacht Club – tree limbs down, debris
i can attest that there is no flooding in AKL lobby, unless you consider a wet carpet inside an exterior door flooding.

Last night they had 90+ MPH winds. That is not a regular day. You also had tornados, and several inches of rain in a short amount of time.

Ahhhh......90+ MPH makes more sense. 40 MPH just didn't seem like much as we honestly had 40 MPH winds here yesterday without there being a storm.

You say had 40 mph gusts in Saskatchewan. Now imagine those 40 mph winds, continuously for several hours, plus gusts up to almost 70 mph. That is not really a "normal" thunderstorm.

We did have the 40 MPH winds all day. We regularly have windy days like that here on the prairies. It's also not unusual to get several thunderstorms per summer with 50-70 MPH wind gusts. it's considered normal here.

However it looks like what I read was the conditions that were still happening today. It seems last night Orlando did get hit with actual hurricane force winds 90-100 MPH and torrential downpour. That is substantial.

I was thinking Florida more broadly - and as my business is to cover losses related to this we have been all over analyzing this and there was fear this could have been much, much worse ... much worse that "only" tens of billions. Compared to some prediction what happened is not a blip of what was feared

There wasnt that much water...

...it's always about the water

I live about 10 miles from WDW. This was the worst storm I have been through in 22+ years. There is a lot of flooding even in Central Florida. Downed trees and power lines. No one is allowed on the roads until later this evening. Even though WDW might not have had much damage, there are cast members who did. In my parents subdivision the streets are flooded. About 90% of their neighbors have damage to their homes. They live just off of 192 right down the road from WDW.

It was a long night for us locals. Please be patient with the cast members who are working. My friends went in Saturday afternoon, left their families, because they were called into work. They are tired and worried about their families and homes. Working 3 days and spotty phone service is very hard on them.

I hear ya...totally get that.

The truth of the matter around here - however - is that the Dis Is mostly about their vacations on Disney property itself. That's really where the thought often ends.

Not to say there's no compassion - there is - but it can be a little flaky sometimes as well.

I tried to ignore it - but I can't - the characterization as "heros" for riding out the storm in the most expensive buildings designed for storms due to financial investment (no place safer than Fort Knox)...is a tad overzealous.

Having been a CM...and actually wanting better for them at the expense of the stockholders - I hope that central fla - the real central fla - gets back to norm soon and the damage gets mitigated. Good luck.

My mom's subdivision about 5 miles west of WDW.

Attachments

• mom irma.png
    mom irma.png
    114 KB · Views: 94
Trees were blown over here in the Epcot resort area. Some shingle damage and leaves stripped off of the trees. A couple of the street lamps on the boardwalk were blown open and we saw one blown off. Lots of tree limbs down as well. I wouldn't doubt that we saw 100 mph winds looking at the damage. Others here that have been through previous hurricanes here said this was by far the worst one they have seen.

McI9kUj.jpg

My sister-in-law's house has a tree through her roof in downtown Orlando, and the plywood over 2 of her windows literally split in half through the middle...it got that windy in that area...

Don't think you need a Hunie for that...but that sounds windy enough.

Hope everyone is safe and recovery is quick.

Last edited:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/weat...cleanup-in-orlando-20170911-photogallery.html

Take a look at these pictures. I don't doubt we had 100MPH at one point. It was terrifying.

Thanks.
Wow - thank goodness you are safe. That looks like the storm WAS terrifying. As a Sandy survivor who was lucky to not live near water, took no significant damage to my house, and basically only had the hardship of no power for 9 days - I can imagine what you guys were going through.

Here's hoping things are fairly back to normal soon.

I need to know - those people wading in the water - aren't they the least bit concerned about alligators? You wouldn't find me walking in it at all (unless it was to find a loved one or save someone from imminent danger!

Not sure if I missed it posted here but Disney posted their hours for tomorrow and looks pretty back to normal - other than the waterparks are still closed. The Halloween Party is on for tomorrow as well

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/walt-disney-world-updates-park-hours-for-tuesday-september-12th/

Magic Kingdom Park will be open 9am to 7pm, with Extra Magic Hours from 8am to 9am and Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party from 7pm to Midnight.

Epcot will be open from 9am to 9pm, with Extra Magic Hours from 9pm to 11pm.

Disney’s Hollywood Studios will be open from 9am to 9pm.

Disney’s Animal Kingdom will be open from 9am to 9pm.

Disney Springs will be open from 10am to 12am.

Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach water parks remain closed.

So this is the quote from DIS main page on what actually happened in Orlando:

"Hurricane Irma has passed over the Orlando area, but with less impact than initially feared. However, winds up to 43 mph and gusts up to 69 mph are still being reported near downtown Orlando."

I'm trying to put this into perspective, because we had wind gusts of 40 MPH here in Saskatchewan yesterday and no one blinked. People were golfing, doing yard work and going about their day. That's just a regular windy day here. We get thunderstorms all the time here with 60 MPH wind gusts. Nothing gets damaged and no one even stops what they are doing.

The 180 MPH winds thats crazy, but what hit Orlando last night just seems like a regular summer thunderstorm to me.

The 40 mph winds are what they are still having NOW. What they had last night were 90-100 mph winds. BIG difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter