Hurricane Irma?

Dining is gonna be roughest for people at the values I think.

I believe so. From what I remember there were insanely long lines at some values and moderate resorts. Disorganization may have also played a factor. Poly had at least 2 lunch box locations and all restaurants running solid. Ohana went to a buffet for dinner, good as usual.

That seems a little ridiculous! You should push for a change or cancel if that's what they want. They should by no means be forcing you into a post hurricane zone if that's not what you want. I was able to get a full credit for my hotel, my Airbnb, my car rental and just waiting to rebook my flights with delta. Goodluck!

Our flight was cancelled earlier by virgin till Wednesday. We do still want our holiday as long as it is safe to be there. I'm going to go into the travel agents on Monday and see what they say.

As some may know, I fly for the airlines.
Yesterday we had 6, yes SIX passengers on a 200+ seat airplane going to Orlando. Four of the six was a family going to Disney.

I heard they were sending twice as many planes there to get evacuees out.

So purposely traveling into a dangerous situation is ok because people have been planning for months? That just doesn't make sense to me. The length of time that you've been planning doesn't change the very real fact that this hurricane could kill you or your family, and even if it doesn't, it could make life in Florida very uncomfortable for awhile.

I stand by my judgement of the Indiana family. They made a very irresponsible deicision and I hope it works out for them.
Just to play devil's advocate a bit on here. I called Disney twice to cancel. Both times the cast members talked me into still coming! I asked the last one "if you were in Detroit, would you fly there knowing what you know about the storm?" He said "absolutely I would". They both said "if it were me personally, I wouldn't cancel." This was this past Thursday at 530pm, 2.5 hours before we were scheduled to take off.

I ultimately decided to reschedule on the way to the airport because the others in my party were not comfortable going. But "Disney" did not seem to be bothered at all by me coming at this time.

SO I am being selfish by coming in 3 weeks?? Don't think so. Are YOU going to refund my investment into your state??
I don't think the PP was referring to guests coming in weeks later. FL. will need those tourism dollars then.

I know when I worked in coastal SC managing beach rentals, we hoped for the guests to stay away the first few days of and after a hurricane so we could become operational again and make sure all the residents' needs were met. But after that we needed the tourist dollars.

I agree, I don't think anyone should be willingly traveling into the storm.

I disagree about staying away for weeks. Houston and Disney World are very very different. There is a good chance Disney could be up and running VERY swiftly. Florida LIVES on tourism dollars. Any Floridian should want people to be putting money into the state following the storm.

I have family who live on an island in SC that was devastated by Matthew. They were happy to see tourists returning in the weeks following. Before tourists came back it was an awful, depressing, empty feeling. Cleanup takes a long time, yes. But businesses NEEDED the tourists to come back. There was a hopefulness and light at the end of the tunnel as soon as people started coming back. Any area that lives and breathes on tourism needs to bounce back quickly from an economic perspective. The more money that comes in, the better.

I am not looking to get into an argument, just looking at it from the perspective of someone whose family was directly by last year's hurricane in an area that relies on tourism.

Replying and quoting so others can see that perhaps THEY are the ones being selfish by trying to keep tourists away in the days to come.

Thanks you!! We are coming in about 3 weeks too. I have no intention of cancelling my vacation. Like someone above said, tourist areas don't want the tourists to cancel. They need that revenue.

I don't think the poster was talking about trips starting after the airports and Disney are operating normally again. At least I hope not?!

SO I am being selfish by coming in 3 weeks?? Don't think so. Are YOU going to refund my investment into your state??
Well that would depend on the actual damage from the hurricane. Going to Nola 3 weeks after Katrina yeah you would have been selfish.
But the people who are traveling to Orlando or Tampa now for vacation (not those who are evacuating from points south) yes are being selfish and stupid. And there are several in this thread and others like it.

I don't think the PP was referring to guests coming in weeks later. FL. will need those tourism dollars then.

I know when I worked in coastal SC managing beach rentals, we hoped for the guests to stay away the first few days of and after a hurricane so we could become operational again and make sure all the residents' needs were met. But after that we needed the tourist dollars.
That particular poster may not have been but there have been posters here that have said to stay away for however long it takes. To cancel trips for the foreseeable future that it may take weeks or even months to return to normal. Extreme fringe thinking for certain but it's been posted

I am of the opinion that until the airline and/or Disney says not to come it's no one else's business. I still can't comprehend why all these posters feel the need to tell any one else what they should be doing or not doing. This whole taking resources business is ludicrous

Well that would depend on the actual damage from the hurricane. Going to Nola 3 weeks after Katrina yeah you would have been selfish.
But the people who are traveling to Orlando or Tampa now for vacation (not those who are evacuating from points south) yes are being selfish and stupid. And there are several in this thread and others like it.
I suppose this is a matter of opinion. See my previous post....

That particular poster may not have been but there have been posters here that have said to stay away for however long it takes. To cancel trips for the foreseeable future that it may take weeks or even months to return to normal. Extreme fringe thinking for certain but it's been posted

I am of the opinion that until the airline and/or Disney says not to come it's no one else's business. I still can't comprehend why all these posters feel the need to tell any one else what they should be doing or not doing. This whole taking resources business is ludicrous
Um when things like drinking water and gas are in short supply coming to an area for vacation is using resources that could be used for I don't know keeping people alive is ludicrous.

That's a good one. Hopefully people have evacuate from there long ago.

You would hope, but that's a live image. Those cars were pulling up in the last 30 minutes. They obviously haven't evacuated yet. They still have to drive over the long bridge to get to the southern part of Florida, which should also be evacuated/evacuating right now:sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter