Hurricane Irma?

That particular poster may not have been but there have been posters here that have said to stay away for however long it takes. To cancel trips for the foreseeable future that it may take weeks or even months to return to normal. Extreme fringe thinking for certain but it's been posted

I am of the opinion that until the airline and/or Disney says not to come it's no one else's business. I still can't comprehend why all these posters feel the need to tell any one else what they should be doing or not doing. This whole taking resources business is ludicrous

And there is the thing. It's an internet message board so opinions will vary. No one here is hostage to anyone's advice or opinion but their own.

OT- hope you're enjoying the game. Go Vols!!!!

Well that would depend on the actual damage from the hurricane. Going to Nola 3 weeks after Katrina yeah you would have been selfish.
But the people who are traveling to Orlando or Tampa now for vacation (not those who are evacuating from points south) yes are being selfish and stupid. And there are several in this thread and others like it.
You are serious going to compare an inland city to a city on the
Um when things like drinking water and gas are in short supply coming to an area for vacation is using resources that could be used for I don't know keeping?people alive is ludicrous.[/QUO
You do realize that the cm that answer the phone are not actually at WDW and the vast majority are not actually even in Florida. So their knowledge of what is going on at wdw weather wise is pretty much limited to the weather channel etc
But you can keep justifying it to yourself
I would think those CM who as you say may not live in Florida have been given marching orders to keep people from canceling? Do you really believe that a CM would not follow the message Disney wants to convey?? If Disney wants people to not come why would the CM on this post an others try to convince people NOT to cancel??

You do realize that the cm that answer the phone are not actually at WDW and the vast majority are not actually even in Florida. So their knowledge of what is going on at wdw weather wise is pretty much limited to the weather channel etc
Every person I talked to was from Orlando. I asked each one. I have spoken with 8 in total since calling and rescheduling. No BS. So you are 100% wrong about that.

Um when things like drinking water and gas are in short supply coming to an area for vacation is using resources that could be used for I don't know keeping people alive is ludicrous.

How many times does it need to be repeated that this is not Harvey or Katrina? The storm will pass relatively quickly and gas and water deliveries will continue almost as usual. There are ALREADY crews there/arriving to deal with road debris. IF you think Disney isn't already FULLY stocked on those things *(and would NOT be giving them away to random "survivors") you are being ridiculous.

No one in the Orlando area is going to be days or weeks without water. Feel free to come back to say "told you so" - but I know you won't be able to because it's not going to happen.

You would hope, but that's a live image. Those cars were pulling up in the last 30 minutes. They obviously haven't evacuated yet. They still have to drive over the long bridge to get to the southern part of Florida, which should also be evacuated/evacuating right now:sad2:

There are places to be and places that you Sharpie your ID info on your forearm..

Last edited:

Thanks you!! We are coming in about 3 weeks too. I have no intention of cancelling my vacation. Like someone above said, tourist areas don't want the tourists to cancel. They need that revenue.

How many times does it need to be repeated that this is not Harvey or Katrina? The storm will pass relatively quickly and gas and water deliveries will continue as usual. IF you think Disney isn't already FULLY stocked on those things *(and would NOT be giving them away to random "survivors") you are being ridiculous.

No one in the Orlando area is going to be days or weeks without water. Feel free to come back to say "told you so" - but I know you won't be able to because it's not going to happen.

I hope it isn't Harvey or Katrina, I really do. But it could be. It has the potential to be. And officials have been saying for a long time that this hurricane is big and dangerous. Why risk being stuck in a Harvey or Katrina?

I really, really hope none of us are able to come back and say I told ya so. That would certainly be the best ending to this.

I just wouldn't risk it if i didn't have to.

I hope it isn't Harvey or Katrina, I really do. But it could be. It has the potential to be. And officials have been saying for a long time that this hurricane is big and dangerous. Why risk being stuck in a Harvey or Katrina?

I really, really hope none of us are able to come back and say I told ya so. That would certainly be the best ending to this.

Stop worrying about the people in AKL or BC and start worrying about the people on the Southernmost Point live webcam.

Seriously check it out

Guy was taking selfies on the ledge, unbelievable.

You are serious going to compare an inland city to a city on the

I would think those CM who as you say may not live in Florida have been given marching orders to keep people from canceling? Do you really believe that a CM would not follow the message Disney wants to convey?? If Disney wants people to not come why would the CM on this post an others try to convince people NOT to cancel??
Nola is not on the coast. It is on the Mississippi but not the coast. Given that we are talking about a storm that is the largest ever recorded hurricane in the Atlantic, yes people should not be planning on arriving today - as some people I this thread are doing. It's not simply damage in the immediate area that can cause problems. Transport and distribution lines can be damaged (ala sandy). Causing food and gas shortages in the coming couple weeks.
One area where Disney does not excel is communicating with customer service phone agents. That is why you often get misinformation when you call. So I'm not surprised that a phone agent may not have the best information.
But again common sense should tell people to not plan on traveling in the next few days.

How many times does it need to be repeated that this is not Harvey or Katrina? The storm will pass relatively quickly and gas and water deliveries will continue almost as usual. There are ALREADY crews there/arriving to deal with road debris. IF you think Disney isn't already FULLY stocked on those things *(and would NOT be giving them away to random "survivors") you are being ridiculous.

No it's not Harvey or katrina. It's bigger and more powerful

Every person I talked to was from Orlando. I asked each one. I have spoken with 8 in total since calling and rescheduling. No BS. So you are 100% wrong about that.
That is what they are trained to do. Just like if you call the hotel the answer the name of the hotel even when they are states away. It's part of the "magic"

While I hesitate to use such a polarizing word as "selfish", I have mentioned before that we are just starting to return normal two weeks after Harvey (not talking about those that completely lost their homes - "normal" will take a lot longer for them). We haven't had nearly enough of the basics to go around the last two weeks - gas, food, drinking water, diapers, all in super short supply. I also live in an area that is partially supported by tourism. But in the last two weeks, the first responders and those trying to get to work to support their families needed the little bit of gas we had, not the tourists who knew there was a storm and came anyway. Parents trying to feed their families needed our scarce groceries and drinking water, not the tourists who are choosing to come here regardless. You can perhaps see how the locals might get resentful if their limited resources become even more limited due to people who don't want to reschedule their vacations. We need the tourism dollars, just as soon as our infrastructure is back to somewhat normal. It's hard to hear people being so vehement about taking their vacation at any cost while today I am
LITERALLY watching neighbors put their lives on the curb for the garbage trucks with tears in their eyes, not knowing if there is any way they will ever be able to rebuild. By all means, please use your tourism dollars to help communities rebuild - when you are actually helping rather than hindering. While I hope there is very little rebuilding to do in Florida, it's not looking good.

Last edited:
Nola is not on the coast. It is on the Mississippi but not the coast. Given that we are talking about a storm that is the largest ever recorded hurricane in the Atlantic, yes people should not be planning on arriving today - as some people I this thread are doing. It's not simply damage in the immediate area that can cause problems. Transport and distribution lines can be damaged (ala sandy). Causing food and gas shortages in the coming couple weeks.
One area where Disney does not excel is communicating with customer service phone agents. That is why you often get misinformation when you call. So I'm not surprised that a phone agent may not have the best information.
But again common sense should tell people to not plan on traveling in the next few days.
Their comments had nothing to do with misinformation. They live in Orlando, not a bubble. They were well aware of the storm. They did not seem concerned with me "taking their resources" when they told me not to cancel.

Not to diminish any damage or injuries that anyone incurred from Harvey or Katrina. However, the majority of damage for both of these was due to water, and not necessarily storm surge. The water that's still sitting in Houston is mostly due to rain and lack of any drainage. The water that significantly damaged New Orleans was mostly due to the levees breaking, which allowed water in. Once water gets into New Orleans, there really isn't anywhere for it to go, especially if the pumps aren't working. The hurricane force wind and storm surge damage due to both of these hurricanes was mainly on the actual coast, not 70 miles inland. I think there will be some damage in Orlando due to Irma, but comparing the Houston and New Orleans damage to what Orlando will see is like comparing apples and oranges. Now, if you were talking about Miami, Ft Myers, anything on the coast, it would be a real comparison.

Here's to hoping that everyone can stay safe and that it's not as bad as predicted:goodvibes

And there is the thing. It's an internet message board so opinions will vary. No one here is hostage to anyone's advice or opinion but their own.

OT- hope you're enjoying the game. Go Vols!!!!
True. I ignore the words of strangers with ease but it's getting to some for sure. Heck, when DH went during Matthew I had no problem ignoring people I know. I do my own thing

Having a great day. One of the best opening days of weather I can remember, ever. Ironically. Though not much of a game. Love to see our guys win but it's hard to see it when it's over an inferior opponent. I know why these teams play money games but I feel for their players

That's an extremely...bold...statement.

That is what they are trained to do. Just like if you call the hotel the answer the name of the hotel even when they are states away. It's part of the "magic"
They are trained to lie? They all went on to talk a bit about their personal lives. All with different time lengths of living in the area. How many storms they have been threw. One just bought a new house. So they are just BSing? Really? Come on, you can't really believe that.

Stop worrying about the people in AKL or BC and start worrying about the people on the Southernmost Point live webcam.

Seriously check it out

Guy was taking selfies on the ledge, unbelievable.

Ha, No, These folks are under 6 feet of water, by their own choice

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter