Hurricane Irma?

Here's the menu for food at the Polynesian, if anyone here is staying there

21432765_10214514754410937_948332870240897406_n.jpg
Looks YUM to me!

You do realize "Disney" water is municpal water. If power is lost to the pumps or processing plants the water becomes unsafe to drink. That's why they tell you to fill your bathtub when a hurricane comes. So then what? Oh the bottled water.
And it is currently going to make a direct hit on Tampa. Which is a shipping hub and also a gas refinery. That is where you shortages will come from.
Hurricanes are regional issues not local.

Filling your bathtub with water is used to flush toilets, not to drink

They are basically sequestered in Disney. They aren't really getting in anyone's way or taking the resources of people who are evacuating. They're eating Disney box lunches and drinking yucky Disney water.
What happens if someone gets hurt, either due to the storm (flying debris, broken glass, etc), or unrelated to it, or has another medical emergency? Are they going to drive themselves from wdw to a hospital? Probably not. They'll need to be transported via ambulance, putting the EMTs/firemen/etc in unnecessary danger (potentially driving through pouring rains, debris/downed power lines, tornado-prone areas,...).

There's a BIG difference between the people who were already in FL before the hurricane's track was more definite and have been stuck there since (because of full flights, closed airports, crazy traffic, etc), and those who are opting to arrive in FL today and tomorrow.

As far as those who are scheduled to arrive Tuesday and after, that is after the storm is supposed to have passed, and nobody has a crystal ball to know for certain what things will be like in Orlando. I'm sure site like this one and social media will be full of reports on the condition of wdw and the surrounding areas. If it were me, I'd keep an eye on how things are after the hurricane passes - Is there flooding? Power? Is water drinkable? Are the parks back up and operating? Are there gas shortages (for drivers)? - and decide what to do based on that. You're in such a bubble at wdw that I'm not sure shortages of things like water and diapers in town will affect those staying at wdw.

Nola is not on the coast. It is on the Mississippi but not the coast.

No, it's not on the coast, but the New Orleans floodwaters came from Lake Pontchartrain which is connected to the Gulf of Mexico.

There is always next year and I don't know many schools that have a break the second week of September..
For some people there is not always next year. And, yes, it may seem straight forward to YOU to not go now and wait, but for someone for whom this is their last or only chance, then the decision is much more complicated. There is at least one person on this thread in that situation. Everyone is always balancing their OWN set of circumstances. I think it matters to remember that. I might find it makes obvious sense to me, to do or not do X, but, for someone else, that will be different, and while everyone wishes safety and wellbeing on all in the path of Irma, it doesn't help anyone to belittle their choices or to refuse to see the conflict in their decision.

You do realize "Disney" water is municpal water. If power is lost to the pumps or processing plants the water becomes unsafe to drink. That's why they tell you to fill your bathtub when a hurricane comes. So then what? Oh the bottled water.
And it is currently going to make a direct hit on Tampa. Which is a shipping hub and also a gas refinery. That is where you shortages will come from.
Hurricanes are regional issues not local.
Disney processes their own wastewater so I guess they would have to keep everything up and running or they wouldn't stay in business: that's when they would have to tell you not to come.

But they will fix everything as fast as possible and then raise ticket prices next year to pay for it.

Thank you for this! I meant to reply last night, but ended up talking to my folks for quite awhile.

Can you recommend some good restaurants? They like almost anything.

Salute on highway 90 is great. The Chimneys next door is good, too- white tablecloth kind of place. Half Shell Oyster house is delicious in downtown Gulfport. Tony's Brick oven pizza is good also in Downtown Gulfport. The downtown area has several other new restaurants, too. It's really coming along recently since Katrina. Fishbone Alley is a neat little place to take a stroll.

In Long Neach next door, there's Darwell's- a funky eclectic place.

Biloxi also has new places too.

All of the restaurants have a pretty varied menu with a Louisiana inspired flair and seafood offerings.

Really, most anywhere from Bay St. Louis to Ocean Springs- a nice drive on the beach- has good offerings.

Yes. Everyone wants to say Katrina damaged NO. Really wasn't Katrina. It was a failed levee from a failed infrastructure from a overall failed administration. Had the levee been built as it was supposed to and then everything else after worked that would not have happened. I remember watching the morning Katrina came in. When the storm was past and they first reported everything was fine. Then water started rising live on TV and they realized something was going on and it went downhill from there.

Sorry, OT here. If you have not read The Great Deluge, it is pretty good. It is sickening to see what a complete breakdown, from top to bottom, the tragedy from Katrina was. My only hope is that lessons were learned from it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter