Hurricane Irma?

Probably one CM doing their job. Disney spends millions of dollars creating and protecting their image. Negative means lost revenue. The fact that very little was in the news about WDW and Irma wasn't just by chance, Disney controlled the reporting and forbid camera crews from shooting on Disney property.

I was talking pictures at the new Kidani when I noticed a security guard following me and he told me to stop taking pictures and wanted my ID. I was dumb struck and demanded a supervisor. The supervisor/manager explained that they had been watching me all morning and some of the pictures that I took were of less desirable areas of the resort and that Disney only wants us to remember the best. I was asked to delete pictures that were not typical of family photos. I wasn't backstage, or taking pictures of backstage. Upon returning home I contacted Disney and explained that the encounter was upsetting and that I would like information on their photo policy. I never got a response.

:earsboy: Bill
Wow. Did you delete them? I don't think I would have. I would have probably just offered not to post them online. But I can see being taken aback by the request and not knowing what to say or do at the moment.

It's funny that Disney thinks people will believe it's really THAT magical that hurricanes don't affect it.

They should be proud to show the damage and just how quickly they cleaned it up and got it operational and "magical" again.

Probably one CM doing their job. Disney spends millions of dollars creating and protecting their image. Negative means lost revenue. The fact that very little was in the news about WDW and Irma wasn't just by chance, Disney controlled the reporting and forbid camera crews from shooting on Disney property.

I was talking pictures at the new Kidani when I noticed a security guard following me and he told me to stop taking pictures and wanted my ID. I was dumb struck and demanded a supervisor. The supervisor/manager explained that they had been watching me all morning and some of the pictures that I took were of less desirable areas of the resort and that Disney only wants us to remember the best. I was asked to delete pictures that were not typical of family photos. I wasn't backstage, or taking pictures of backstage. Upon returning home I contacted Disney and explained that the encounter was upsetting and that I would like information on their photo policy. I never got a response.

:earsboy: Bill
We were at WDW about five months after 9/11. We took the backstage tour of World Showcase and were not stopped from snapping photos of anything, even in the CM areas. However, I was stopped from taking pictures of the moored fire barges for "security reasons". Kidani must have some really awful looking areas for them to block you from taking photos. I don't know about the legality of forcing you to delete photos.

Agree 100%, until you are airborne there is no guarantee. It could be ATC, FAA, or the local airport that cancels too.....it's not always the airline. MCO was on flow control days ahead of Irma and I have to imagine will be the same for many days after. That alone can cancel a flight. Flow control = too many aircraft for ATC to handle....so they cancel and/or prioritize flights.

I wonder if evening flights are more likely to take off than daytime as the air space is hopefully much lighter by then. Guess nothing to do but wait and keep my fingers crossed our evening Friday flight takes off. It looks pretty full too.

Ha! Teens. I would have said "That's it! No Disney for you!" Soup Nazi style. :teeth:

Ha - she is actually tired of Disney so it would be ok with her. LOL On a postive note, 10 minutes ago I was looking around on the Southwest Website and there was an open flight on Wednesday that had been sold out previously so I moved my Thursday flight to Wednesday. Now I can make the Animal Kingdom DVC After Hours thing that I really wanted to do that day. Here's hoping it doesn't get cancelled.

Tomorrow when I call Member Services, I only need to cancel Tuesday night and my MNSSHP ticket for Tuesday. Everything else can stay the same. Phew.
Oh and my rental car is now costing me and extra 50.00 with all the changes. I think I changed it 4 times so far in the past 30 hours.

Because the parks have been closed for 2 days, would disney allow me another 2 days on the end of my 14 day ticket?
You want another 2 days of admission (ie a 16 day ticket) or is it that you need the expiration extended for 2 days, but still only go to the parks for 14 days?

We have some occasional gusts, but no stronger than in a strong thunderstorm. But, maybe it's going to get worse?
The news just talked about Florida evacuees are starting to try to go home - not a good idea. I think it may have already been reported here, but a lot of South Georgia is without power, which means no power to pump gas, among other complications.

Gwinnett here. Not too much going on. Some winds but we've had worse ina regular storm. We did lose power for about 2 hours but just came back on.

Wondering if anyone there has info on toll road from Orlando international airport to Wdw? Passable?
Or any other road issues I4?

Why in the world has Gwinnett County Schools closed for TOMORROW? We're homeschoolers, so a little out of the loop. Has something happened? (Sorry other posters)

ETA: Hi @summerlvr! Another Gwinnett neighbor!

I would guess that they are anticipating some roads being impassable. I already saw a notice on social media from Gwinnett County that part of Johnson Rd near Five Forks Trickum is closed due to downed trees and power lines.
And howdy to you too, fellow Gwinnettian!

I think it's because of the gusting winds up to 30 mph that supposed to happen tonight and in the early hours of tomorrow. I haven't gone out at all today so I'm not sure what our neighborhood is like. With all the trees in the area, I imagine there will be plenty of roads blocked once the winds pick up.

I just finished repacking. My husband asked me if I was going to add some stuff back into my suitcase since I was able to find a Wednesday flight to Orlando and change to that about 10 minutes ago. I told him no because that would jinx it. LOL

My daughter is a cm at Disney. She was scheduled to work Sat and today. Of course that was cancelled. Disney does not pay their employees for time scheduled when they close the park. I just find that pretty crappy. Now she's trying to find shifts to cover the money she lost.
She certainly would have gotten in trouble if she had just decided not to show up.

Everyone thinks Disney is so magical. Not for the employees

So all those people saying stay away, the kids that work there need you to show up so they can pay their bills

I work for Amazon, and they are covering lost wages for the facilities in the affected areas.

My daughter is trying to get back to Orlando and within the last 30 minutes Southwest has opened up some flights that previously showed as sold out. And, when I checked again a few minutes later, there were a couple more that weren't there the first time.

BTW, for anyone interested in getting from MCO to Milwaukee tomorrow, Frontier has a flight at 2 PM listed for $29.

My daughter is a cm at Disney. She was scheduled to work Sat and today. Of course that was cancelled. Disney does not pay their employees for time scheduled when they close the park. I just find that pretty crappy. Now she's trying to find shifts to cover the money she lost.
She certainly would have gotten in trouble if she had just decided not to show up.

Everyone thinks Disney is so magical. Not for the employees

So all those people saying stay away, the kids that work there need you to show up so they can pay their bills

I work for Amazon, and they are covering lost wages for the facilities in the affected areas.

I don't know - here when we have snowstorms if they say stay home from work we are forced to use vacation time if we have it or else it's unpaid. I don't have that problem anymore because I'm salary, but when hourly it happened...

Fingers crossed. We just crossed in for our 4:40PM MCO to CMH (Southwest) - which appears to be still scheduled to fly. While we'll enjoy our "bonus morning" at MK tomorrow, we're quite ready to be home!

Here's a question... this is my flight schedule for tomorrow:

Departs: Orlando at 5:36 p.m.
Arrives: Chicago at 7:36 p.m.

Departs: Chicago at 8:58 p.m.
Arrives: Buffalo at 11:28 p.m.

So putting this all in EST... I would land in Chicago at 8:36, connection takes off at 8:58, then land in Buffalo at 11:28?

Here's a question... this is my flight schedule for tomorrow:

Departs: Orlando at 5:36 p.m.
Arrives: Chicago at 7:36 p.m.

Departs: Chicago at 8:58 p.m.
Arrives: Buffalo at 11:28 p.m.

So putting this all in EST... I would land in Chicago at 8:36, connection takes off at 8:58, then land in Buffalo at 11:28?

EST is an hour ahead of us (Chicago) - your arrival time in Buffalo is already EST.
So EST time in Chicago- arrive 8:36, leave 9:58 and home 11:28.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter