I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching and not finding this answer......trying to help a friend:

She got a SW Premier in 2014...she doesn't churn so no other new cards since then.She wants to get a SW Plus card now for the Companion Pass. So #1, can she get another card while holding one already? From what I've read it looks like no. If no, she's fine with cancelling the Premier, but how long would she have to wait to apply for the SW Plus? Then #2, would she lose all her old RR points?

Searching and not finding this answer......trying to help a friend:

She got a SW Premier in 2014...she doesn't churn so no other new cards since then.She wants to get a SW Plus card now for the Companion Pass. So #1, can she get another card while holding one already? From what I've read it looks like no. If no, she's fine with cancelling the Premier, but how long would she have to wait to apply for the SW Plus? Then #2, would she lose all her old RR points?

You are correct, She would have to cancel the personal card she has, if applying for the premier again wait 31 days...if a different SW personal card a week is probably fine. Her RR points aren’t tied to her credit card...she will not lose them

Last edited:
So I looked at my CIP statements to try to determine where they came up with $500. I had one referral post in 11/18 and one post in 1/19. I would think that is $200 for 2018, $200 for 2019. Who do we call at Chase for clarification? The number on the back of the card?

I lowered my wife’s CIP CL down to $2k before eventually closing it after a year. I’ve seen numerous DPs of CLs cut down to $1k and even a few as low as $500.
Thank you! I just have one larger charge (maybe around $4,000) that I will want to put on it in early April. I could trim to $5,000 now, then after that charge, $2,500 should be good.

I know I have to wait after lowering the CL to apply for a new card because it takes time for the lower CL to register with Chase. Maybe $5,000 on the CIP would be low enough to go for the second business card considering I would be trimming more than that from the CIPs current CL? If not, I will just wait until end of May/beginning of June to apply or the CIC.

Thank you! I just have one larger charge (maybe around $4,000) that I will want to put on it in early April. I could trim to $5,000 now, then after that charge, $2,500 should be good.

I know I have to wait after lowering the CL to apply for a new card because it takes time for the lower CL to register with Chase. Maybe $5,000 on the CIP would be low enough to go for the second business card considering I would be trimming more than that from the CIPs current CL? If not, I will just wait until end of May/beginning of June to apply or the CIC.

Can you do some trimming on your CSP? If you're going to PC it to a CF eventually, you shouldn't need more than $2k CL on it (because of the $1.5k cap on 5x).

So I looked at my CIP statements to try to determine where they came up with $500. I had one referral post in 11/18 and one post in 1/19. I would think that is $200 for 2018, $200 for 2019. Who do we call at Chase for clarification? The number on the back of the card?
It’s a good place to start. Maybe they’re going by date you earned vs got access to it, but that still leaves $100 over.

I've come across limitations like this in the past. Though it seems odd that a 2Qn room would only accomodate 3 guests. You could call the Marriott you're interested in directly and inquire about extra kids in the room, sometimes it has to do with hotel capacity limits (fire code or something like that). Or maybe they're fine with it, and just need to note it on your reservation, it doesn't hurt to ask.

You should be able to look for refundable hotel bookings with the travel portal if that's important to you - personally I book refundable whenever I can. Nonrefundable have always been the cheapest rates whenever I've looked, whether it's on hotels .com, marriott .com, etc. The old one bird in the hand adage I guess.
unless it's Disney I just book for two adults on portals.... no one else really cares since occupancy is always 4-5 per room depending on beds.... I consider it a failing of the info on the portal that there's always been a problem with the numbers like this( like back when you'd book thru a portal for a WDW room for 2 adults then have to call in to add the kids etc) otherwise I just don't stress about it. Disney is the only place IMHO that needs a specific headcount with names and birthdates attached....:crazy:

Can you do some trimming on your CSP? If you're going to PC it to a CF eventually, you shouldn't need more than $2k CL on it (because of the $1.5k cap on 5x).
Great point! Chase already significantly lowered it for me post DD, but I can go further. Changing now should easily be captured by the time I go for the CIC. I barely use the CSP now unless there is an offer. I've oddly received more offers for things I like on the CSP so that is the only time it gets swiped. It currently has a -$5.00 balance.

I had booked our hotel for our Disneyland trip through the UR portal a couple of months ago. We're staying at the Courtyard Marriott across the street from the park. At the time I booked a one bedroom suite because it was the only room that had no cancellation fees. I just checked the portal and now there is a refundable 2 queen plus bunkbed room that would save me 30,000 UR points. Do I keep the room we have or save points and give up the extra room and 350 sq. feet? We'll be there for 5 nights. Thanks for any thoughts on this!

Do you estimate you'll be below $600?

Yes. I had 2 chase referrals - 100$ Disney and 10K Hyatt points

******EDIT: the Hyatt points credited this month so they should be a 2019 1099 not 2018 so I shouldn't be getting one yet. The Disney was the only 2018.******

and just the $100 self referral from Amex.

So maybe won't get anything?

Not a big deal as this year I'm well below last years earnings.

My first retirement year and I did not take social security (I'm now 66 and full retirement age but still haven't applied) or any disbursements from my retirement savings. I did manage to earn 13K from my one month (January) of working before retirement, but otherwise I have lived on my work pension. (NO dependence on credit cards so no debt.)

This was almost an experiment to see how much I could cut down on spending and still have quality of life. I did pretty good, but I had no car payment and my younger daughter lives here, so she has helped by bringing home groceries mostly that she wanted but it's helped me directly as well. She also pays the cable/internet bill. I still haven't collected rent from her but she's willing to pay it. It was sort of like 'fire' for me in that I could see how to make it work on a much smaller amount of money. SFF indirectly influenced me to look at the big picture. What I didn't cut down was the amount of takeout we do, but I did mitigate some of that with buying gift cards and letting DD pay for her share, lol.

But for me, lots of things were in place already: dvc vacations, a modest home with a small remaining mortgage - I could pay it off but haven't felt the need to. Great medical from my job for everything medicare doesn't cover.

And, if I stopped spending on grandchildren and children, I'd have lots of leftover money just from my pensions.

Oh yes, and my employer helped by having a plan in place to transition my payout to a 403B instead of paying directly to me. I still haven't managed that money. It's still in that account. I've been lazy about finding a place for it, but it is a 'guaranteed income' account and hasn't lost anything, but was doing better before the market shifted.

What I need to do going forward is downgrade from 3 cars to 1. They are all older but I have no need for 3 vehicles and all that insurance to pay as well as upkeep.

Okay - sorry to get to rambling but tax season starts making you feel like you should adjust things, lol.

Last edited:
I had booked our hotel for our Disneyland trip through the UR portal a couple of months ago. We're staying at the Courtyard Marriott across the street from the park. At the time I booked a one bedroom suite because it was the only room that had no cancellation fees. I just checked the portal and now there is a refundable 2 queen plus bunkbed room that would save me 30,000 UR points. Do I keep the room we have or save points and give up the extra room and 350 sq. feet? We'll be there for 5 nights. Thanks for any thoughts on this!

How much do you plan on being in the room? If you're going to be spending most of your time in the parks and just in your room to sleep and shower, I'd definitely go for the cheaper room.

Question on the SW CP, I assume it can be used if you book separate one way flights, on each leg?

Thanks!!

Popping in again. DH was approved for CIP #2 under his FEIN. I didn't get an auto approval, but when we called back into the status line (4 or 5 days later), it said he was approved. Never had anyone call, no request for a letter proving his FEIN. Applied 1/23, just got the card in yesterday 2/4...so that took a while, but I didn't push it.

Couple of things now, my Mariott card just came up for renewal it's the basic one ($85 fee). I literally just met the MSR and then put it up. We both have personal and biz Amex SPG's (bonvoy now or whatever). I was debating the value of the free night since it's only 25k (and we'll have 4 other 35k credits). This morning I got an upgrade offer to the Premier Plus, $3k spend for $200. Not that enticing, but it's something and then you get a 35k night. I've gotten lost in all of the rules with the SPG/Mariott merger. Assuming I would not be eligible to just get the card outright and earn the sign on bonus. Is that correct. Thoughts on this upgrade?

We're looking into DH and I getting TSA Precheck for a family flight in May. Also, we'd like to be able to use the PP lounge at MCO. I have the Reserve, so I have access to a TSA Precheck reimbursement and then I think just 2 additional guest at PP lounges (but we're a family of 4). So, thinking DH needs a card with these same perks. We don't both need Reserves at one time, any other options that would get both these perks?

TIA :)

How much do you plan on being in the room? If you're going to be spending most of your time in the parks and just in your room to sleep and shower, I'd definitely go for the cheaper room.
That's a great question! My kids will be 4 and 6 when we go, so I'm thinking we'd either be coming back for naps some days or coming back to the room fairly early some of the evenings. I actually don't even know how late the parks are open in November - I should probably figure that out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter