I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could I get some suggestions on how to use the AMEX Plat airline credit? We haven't chosen an airline yet. My dd and I will be flying to WDW (SWA) at the end of January and DH and I will be heading to Hawaii (Delta) in March.

I've never done the SW fare/cancel , but we did choose Delta and used the airline credit to get my DH into the Sky Club in SLC for a long layover. We had a lot of food and a few drinks each that saved us from purchasing food in the airport (would easily have been $80-$100 for our layover), and his $49 (?) fee was covered by the credit. We're headed to MCO in 2 weeks and are planning to use the Sky Club in our local airport for 2 guests.

Sounds like the SW approach is a great one, but if you and DD are interested in Delta lounges (plus anything you might order in flight) for your longer trip to HI, you might consider that.

We stayed at the Cotton House in Barcelona (I used my FHR credit). Stunning property. But it was only two of us. Not sure what their room options were for a family of 3. And we only had one day in Barcelona. We saw Sagrada Familia and Park Guell. Maybe a couple of days.
That's really good to hear. I have it booked for next summer for a few days. I have a room for 3 booked - it's slightly larger than the base room but I'm not expecting much in the way of space there.

We stayed at the Cotton House in Barcelona (I used my FHR credit). Stunning property. But it was only two of us. Not sure what their room options were for a family of 3. And we only had one day in Barcelona. We saw Sagrada Familia and Park Guell. Maybe a couple of days.
Thanks! DH just kind of sprung on it on me. We’re supposed to be in Paris for DS’s 16th birthday and he’s like why don’t cruise and do it all together over the summer instead. Sure, he’s not the one who needs to book everything and cancel everything. (Plus find a replacement Spring Break trip.)

Thanks! DH just kind of sprung on it on me. We’re supposed to be in Paris for DS’s 16th birthday and he’s like why don’t cruise and do it all together over the summer instead. Sure, he’s not the one who needs to book everything and cancel everything. (Plus find a replacement Spring Break trip.)
It’s sort of the best of both worlds because the cruise will be fun and the Mediterranean ports are fabulous (we did Naples, Florence, Rome, and Nice last year) then you get time to do the big cities on your own. We just did London post cruise. Plan on doing London and Paris in the summer of 2024 after I’m done with my Master’s.

That's really good to hear. I have it booked for next summer for a few days. I have a room for 3 booked - it's slightly larger than the base room but I'm not expecting much in the way of space there.
I love these types of hotels in historical buildings. The building was just so special. The room was very nice.

I did almost cry when they told me dinner didn’t start until 8 (we’d flown in at 8 am). We also had a lovely breakfast outside.

Staff was excellent.

Attachments

• 204DF829-5C01-4253-B7E2-B7CA6B1118FC.jpeg
    204DF829-5C01-4253-B7E2-B7CA6B1118FC.jpeg
    67 KB · Views: 11
I agree with @havaneselover - it's not hard to combine a land and sea vacation in Europe. We did this with the N. Europe cruise a few years ago and are hoping to do the same next summer with a Med cruise. I have a week booked in Paris and a couple of days in Barcelona pre-cruise and a couple nights in Rome post cruise. Rooms for 3 are harder to find, but definitely possible.

I wasn't aware that SW had gone full meltdown, but I was affected yesterday and after you hear my story you will know why I wasn't aware.

I finally got to CT Fri afternoon. I went to the hotel and relaxed and finally was able to fall asleep around 8:00 after being up 38 hrs at that point. Woke up Sat, Christmas Eve and picked up my rental car. Made a quick visit with family as planned, and returned the rental car around 7:00 p.m. Went back to the hotel and packed up and got ready for bed since I had a 6:00 am flight yesterday morning to return home. Woke up at 4:00 am yesterday to head to airport. Literally 2 minutes later I got a text telling me my flight had cancelled and they rebooked me... for Wednesday Dec. 28. Even if I didn't mind missing Christmas with my family, I had to be back to work on Tuesday so that was not an option.

Being a former flight attendant who commuted to her base city, I know lots of ways to get from A to B that most travelers would not think of. I searched any and every possible way of getting home via air yesterday to arrive early enough to spend even just a couple of hours in the evening with family as planned. Even tried other airlines since I knew my CSP would help me cover the expense. Nothing would get me home in time to participate in family Christmas plans. So, after about 15 mins of searching for air options, I resorted to the nuclear option: renting a car and driving the 14 hrs home. I was not about to miss Christmas completely and then miss a day of work too.

Luckily, I booked on Alamo right away and headed for the airport (other people were coming in asking for cars when I got to the airport and I have no doubt they ran out fast). I got the last SUV (wasn't sure what road conditions I would encounter on the way home). It should have been a 13 hr drive, but I had to take a more southern route to avoid weather related issues, so it took almost 14. I stopped only for gas/restroom twice and pulled into my sister's driveway at 7:45. I got a reheated Christmas dinner and was able to enjoy a brief visit before returning the car to airport and Lyfting home to CRASH.

Fun fact: I had basically zero food options on my way home on Christmas Day since I didn't want to eat in. There were a couple of Dunkin and Starbucks open along the way so I just ate the hotel's bagged breakfast and some snacks all day.

Considering the historic bad weather, I consider myself lucky. Now to start the process of complaint to SW (already sent one for my outbound hassle) and filing my claim with CSP. And to file a claim for the baggage they damaged on the way up (both suitcases).

ETA 1: although I technically had to be back at work tomorrow. I planned to get some work done today. That work ended up taking ALL day. So I am just now seeing the SW stories! wow

ETA 2: I have never seen as many unclaimed bags awaiting pick up at baggage claim as I did on this trip. All I could think of was all those poor people stranded somewhere else without their bags. And one of the piles wasn't even SW! What a mess!

Last edited:
I hear you! We’re supposed to fly home on Thursday out of MDW. Trying to be optimistic.
Good luck!
I wasn't aware that SW had gone full meltdown, but I was affected yesterday and after you hear my story you will know why I wasn't aware.

I finally got to CT Fri afternoon. I went to the hotel and relaxed and finally was able to fall asleep around 8:00 after being up 38 hrs at that point. Woke up Sat, Christmas Eve and picked up my rental car. Made a quick visit with family as planned, and returned the rental car around 7:00 p.m. Went back to the hotel and packed up and got ready for bed since I had a 6:00 am flight yesterday morning to return home. Woke up at 4:00 am yesterday to head to airport. Literally 2 minutes later I got a text telling me my flight had cancelled and they rebooked me... for Wednesday Dec. 28. Even if I didn't mind missing Christmas with my family, I had to be back to work on Tuesday so that was not an option.

Being a former flight attendant who commuted to her base city, I know lots of ways to get from A to B that most travelers would not think of. I searched any and every possible way of getting home via air yesterday to arrive early enough to spend even just a couple of hours in the evening with family as planned. Even tried other airlines since I knew my CSP would help me cover the expense. Nothing would get me home in time to participate in family Christmas plans. So, after about 15 mins of searching for air options, I resorted to the nuclear option: renting a car and driving the 14 hrs home. I was not about to miss Christmas completely and then miss a day of work too.

Luckily, I booked on Alamo right away and headed for the airport (other people were coming in asking for cars when I got to the airport and I have no doubt they ran out fast). I got the last SUV (wasn't sure what road conditions I would encounter on the way home). It should have been a 13 hr drive, but I had to take a more southern route to avoid weather related issues, so it took almost 14. I stopped only for gas/restroom twice and pulled into my sister's driveway at 7:45. I got a reheated Christmas dinner and was able to enjoy a brief visit before returning the car to airport and Lyfting home to CRASH.

Fun fact: I had basically zero food options on my way home on Christmas Day since I didn't want to eat in. There were a couple of Dunkin and Starbucks open along the way so I just ate the hotel's bagged breakfast and some snacks all day.

Considering the historic bad weather, I consider myself lucky. Now to start the process of complaint to SW (already sent one for my outbound hassle) and filing my claim with CSP. And to file a claim for the baggage they damaged on the way up (both suitcases).

ETA 1: although I technically had to be back at work tomorrow. I planned to get some work done today. That work ended up taking ALL day. So I am just now seeing the SW stories! wow

ETA 2: I have never seen as many unclaimed bags awaiting pick up at baggage claim as I did on this trip. All I could think of was all those poor people stranded somewhere else without their bags. And one of the piles wasn't even SW! What a mess!
We fly out of MDW tomorrow. We are heading to California. MKE is closer for us but I booked MDW to get nonstop. Fingers crossed!

Oh my goodness djmeredith! That is quite a story. I'm not sure I could drive 14 hours by myself. Hats off to you!! I'm so glad you made it safely.

I'm staying positive and see how things go. If it gets canceled we'll be bummed but fine. My son's girlfriend flies in the day after we do but we will cancel her flight if we don't go as I don't think she wants to go to Palm Springs alone, LOL.

And this is why I am glad, we stuck to our flight on Fri and chanced it. It would have been nice to stay in the warmth of Miami but looking at the airport lines today, no thank you! I’ll take my hour delay any day.

Glad you made it home for part of the holiday!

Last edited:
And this is why I am glad, we stuck to our flight on Fri and chanced it. It would have been nice to stay in the warmth of Miami but looking at the airport lines today, no thank you! I’ll take my hour day any day.

Glad you made it home for part of the holiday!
My brother has been stuck in Chicago all day. He flew there from Virginia and was supposed to connect to Iowa but his flight keeps getting pushed back. He was supposed to land here around 10 am and now his flight isn’t even going to land until 10:30 pm (if it comes at all)

I’m stuck in Houston as part of the SW nightmare. We were told the earliest flight SW was rebooking wasn’t until after Dec 31st. So we’re renting a car and starting the 18 hour drive home tomorrow. At least our flight from Costa Rica happened today and got us into the States, I’m thankful for that.

Wow, these flight nightmares get worse and worse. So sorry to everyone having troubles! I hope everyone arrives safely at their destination.
I am so so glad we didn’t switch our flights for those AA vouchers they offered us, and that we made it home without delay or cancellation. I can only imagine that we may have had to do the same and drive 12 hours home from MIA if we took the deal.

I’m stuck in Houston as part of the SW nightmare. We were told the earliest flight SW was rebooking wasn’t until after Dec 31st. So we’re renting a car and starting the 18 hour drive home tomorrow. At least our flight from Costa Rica happened today and got us into the States, I’m thankful for that.
Oh wow, that is crazy! Glad you made it back to the US soil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter