I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brain can’t even comprehend that flight cancellation rate

ETA: and they’ve already cancelled 61% of tomorrow’s flights and 30% of Wednesday’s flights…
what is happening? is this another random meltdown unique to swa?

We fly SW tomorrow. Wondering what our odds of actually getting on the plane and going are? Seems like SW is in full meltdown mode!
Better than yesterday, but still not great. Already a DOT investigation into SW.
what is happening? is this another random meltdown unique to swa?
The crew scheduling software went down at the same time there were weather challenges all over the country, including pretty much all of the SW "non-hubs" of DAL, MDW, BNA and BWI. Add in the busiest travel week of the year. SW is going to claim weather so they don't have to pay anything beyond refunds. The fact that SW doesn't interline with other airlines means passengers will take a long time to get home on SW.

I don't know how this happened but DH doesn't currently have a chase card capable of transferring points to partners. I would like to transfer some of his points to his hyatt account (he's globalist until February and I'm planning a president's day trip). Any ideas?
I don't think we can easily meet the CIP MSR. I'm really trying to avoid getting him Sapphires until he hits the 4 year mark in August, when I have a double dip planned fir him. Can I transfer points to his hyatt account from my UR stash? Or if I set up a hyatt account for myself to transfer into, will his Globalist benefits kick in if he's on my reservation? I could also upgrade his Freedom to a Sapphire and then cancel before the planned double dip. Finally...I could just use the last of his marriott points at a different hotel. thoughts?

Better than yesterday, but still not great. Already a DOT investigation into SW.

The crew scheduling software went down at the same time there were weather challenges all over the country, including pretty much all of the SW "non-hubs" of DAL, MDW, BNA and BWI. Add in the busiest travel week of the year. SW is going to claim weather so they don't have to pay anything beyond refunds. The fact that SW doesn't interline with other airlines means passengers will take a long time to get home on SW.

There was a memo posted by a journalist that was from the SW CEO. It was concerning a highly unusual amount of call outs for illness in DEN. The memo talked about employees needing to provide Drs excuse in order to avoid discipline/termination.

Hmm, that's dated 12/21, so interesting that we're here on the 27th and it's still an ordeal, so perhaps not part of the root of the problem, just an additional issue.

We don't fly SW until 2 weeks from today (and at least it's our return from MCO), so I can't imagine there will be continued meltdown mode unless SW just implodes completely. Guess I will check out alternatives just in case.

I feel TERRIBLE for everyone impacted. Particularly people who were stuck going TO vacations/visits. It's awful for everyone, but if you've paid for a nice vacation and can't even get there...it's awful.

The replies say that's not accurate and that they aren't selling tickets for that time frame. There were people that have flights from socal today that aren't cancelled. So either the articles wrong or they are taking their sweet time cancelling which is bad.

I see that "appears" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in that tweet. You'd think KTLA would be able to be accurate!

We are on our way to Midway. Our flight to Ontario CA is still scheduled. We have a delay but the plane we are taking is en route from Vegas according to flight aware. Now we just have to hope for no crew issues.

I feel like I need to figure out a refundable back up flight to get us home in case this doesn’t clear up by New Years!

Just rebooked out car rental and saved $100!

Refreshing my memory for an upcoming WDW trip...

WDW restaurants code as Restaurants, but charges to my room folio will all code as Hotels regardless of what the charge actually is for, correct?

It shouldn't matter much because I have a huge stack of gift cards to get through, but I want to be prepared.

WDW restaurants code as Restaurants, but charges to my room folio will all code as Hotels regardless of what the charge actually is for, correct?

It shouldn't matter much because I have a huge stack of gift cards to get through, but I want to be prepared.
Yes

Merry Christmas everyone! We are planning a 7 night RCCL Med cruise out of Barcelona. I want to add-on Paris, London and Edinburgh. I am thinking 3-4 nights in each for the add-on. How many days in Barcelona recommended and any hotel recommendations?

I would say 1-2 days in BCN, but *disclaimer* we've been there a few times and it's not my favorite city. My parents stayed at the Cotton House hotel which is more central but the rooms are tiny, whereas DH and I have stayed at one of the Hilton Diagnoal Mar (meh-precruise DCL hotel) and the Ritz Carlton twice. The R-C is very nice but on the beach and definitely not as central as most people prefer for touring.

London has so many awesome hotels and some even are points options-one is the St Pancras Renaissance which is next to Kings Crossing rail station. I've never stayed there but have always wanted to :) There are different areas of London to stay and I personally prefer Westminster-near the must dos for me and the Victoria train station but I've also stayed in Mayfair and Marylebone a couple of times--I think it depends on what your must dos are for the trip and if you want to be close to said must dos and what hotels are there. The underground (subway) is so easy to navigate, though, that you don't have to be near your must do attractions if you don't want to be.

In Edinburgh, there are three FHR hotels which are all fairly close to each other-Waldorf, The Balmoral and an IHG property. If you have a lot of Hilton FNCs, the Waldorf Astoria is a way to utilize those, as well. There are also several Marriott properties including my favorite (because of the spa)-the Sheraton Grand Hotel and Spa.

Anyway, hope this gives you some ideas!

The SW flights I booked 12/19 using my Platinum card were reimbursed using the airline credit today. Waiting on two more.
I booked 2 flights yesterday. If my reimbursement is in January will it still count for 2022 or will it apply for the 2023 credit?

Last edited:

Yes, that’s right…I usually go to the front desk each night to use my gift cards

Our flight is boarding. I literally feel like I’m playing with fire…

Any tips on how to increase our chances of actually getting back home on 1/1? Driving 25 hours sounds horrible! I’m willing to book something refundable as a back up. Any tips?

Frontier has direct flights leaving 12/31 for $120 a person. I’m tempted to just come home early.

I’d love advice if you guys have any!

Our flight is boarding. I literally feel like I’m playing with fire…

Any tips on how to increase our chances of actually getting back home on 1/1? Driving 25 hours sounds horrible! I’m willing to book something refundable as a back up. Any tips?

Frontier has direct flights leaving 12/31 for $120 a person. I’m tempted to just come home early.

I’d love advice if you guys have any!
If you are still at the airport and book the flights through the frontier gate...you usually save about $20-40 per ticket. I don't know if that helps or not, but can be a small savings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter