I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I think I'm lucky in that I have a few friends here who also play this game on one level or another. The rest don't comment to me on the amount of travel much, but I hear it's been a topic of conversation. I've tried to help a very limited number of people, one of whom is learning much quicker than I learned. I love hearing about their trips, and I love hearing about all of the DIS posters trips, too.

Oh, and I think that POTC is best at DL (better than at DLP and way better than WDW) but that's just one gal's opinion. ;)

No one has ever commented directly to me about our travel, but a few of my kids friends have to them. Not in bad ways necessarily, just assuming that we're super rich or something. DS just tells them that his mom is a genius and gets free flights everywhere lol!

My mom would have loved to do this back in her prime, but she doesn't travel much anymore unless she's with us and the card juggling would just stress her out at this point. She does have a Southwest card (but doesn't want to cancel and reapply to get another bonus) and a BP gas card. She loves it because she gets 15 cents per gallon off and that makes her happy, so it makes me happy! She does love hearing about all of my points deals though, so I do have her to talk to about it.

I really think sometime in the future, I'll be talking with DD2 and her now boyfriend. He loves a bargain and is very financially savvy. I definitely don't want to push because they are young and I don't want to butt into his financial situation. DH was telling them once about how we did the Chase $900 bonus and he wanted to do that, so I showed him the DOC thread talking about it and he did do that, so I think over time, his interest will grow and they will be doing a lot of discounted travel!

I can't walk that far. 😉 if I could afford the GC I'd do it but that's a pipe dream so...
Ha! It's funny because that's the distance between BLT/CR to MK on the other coast, and you can't get any closer so people rave about how nice it is to have that short of a walk. But at DLR, that walk is long compared to the hotels across the street from the esplanade. Life is a series of comparisons... 😆

I should say the walk from Disneyland Hotel to the monorail is nice and short so we do usually partake on that. Plus it's fun! But the real reasons we stay there is that the rooms are super charming, we find discounted special rates, and CC points already offset so much of our other travel that we're able to splurge sometimes.

And I hear you on GC, it's so expensive. We'll be staying there for the first time in December as part of our Adventures by Disney trip. But that may be the one and only time unless I win the DVC lottery and score some rooms on DVC points in the future.

Speaking of friends and family not understanding that we're not rich, and that we're just point savvy... we do have one friend couple who recently got into the game and are doing quite well. It's been so nice to have someone local to also talk to about it (though nothing replaces the wisdom of this thread!)

Also, do y'all partners understand and follow along with you or do y'all just tell them what card to use/apply for and they just accept it like my DH? Lol
At first I got push back from DH, he was nervous about the whole thing. Especially Biz cards. Then we took out first lie-flat-seats flight to Europe some years ago and he was hooked! He still doesn't quite follow along but he loves reaping the benefits and just lets me do whatever lol

We have family that comment on our trips and wonder how we fly business class but we haven’t gotten any negative comments. My parents recently showed interest in getting a card they could use for hotels so I might help them with that. I was surprised because they’ve shown no interest in learning anything about it. They only have a discover card and we told them about that one years ago. Otherwise my mom would still be paying for everything with checks (I’m pretty sure she still uses them at the grocery store 🤦🏻‍♀️).

We have a family down the street that we get together with to play board games and our ds plays with their boys. They were very interested in cc points and retirement so we’ve been helping them. They got a CSP and have been earning points. I think they’re still confused about the best ways to use the points so we’ve been trying to help them with that.

Ha! It's funny because that's the distance between BLT/CR to MK on the other coast, and you can't get any closer so people rave about how nice it is to have that short of a walk. But at DLR, that walk is long compared to the hotels across the street from the esplanade. Life is a series of comparisons... 😆

I should say the walk from Disneyland Hotel to the monorail is nice and short so we do usually partake on that. Plus it's fun! But the real reasons we stay there is that the rooms are super charming, we find discounted special rates, and CC points already offset so much of our other travel that we're able to splurge sometimes.

And I hear you on GC, it's so expensive. We'll be staying there for the first time in December as part of our Adventures by Disney trip. But that may be the one and only time unless I win the DVC lottery and score some rooms on DVC points in the future.
Ya at WDW we stay Swolphin but there are boats for that. Lol. (and while discounted is great, free is better and we never pay $ for Swolphin). Seriously though I'm getting old and saving my steps for in the parks and we always stay later than we (I) should and that last 200 yards kills me.
I am working on that lottery win and GC or Poly Bungalows would be my lottery splurge for sure.

Also, do y'all partners understand and follow along with you or do y'all just tell them what card to use/apply for and they just accept it like my DH? Lol
My DH knows enough to say my wife is brilliant and he knows the really big ticket items are free (like biz flights to London). Otherwise I'm the finance department in our house. I not only pay the bills, and do the investing, but I apply for cards in his name. He'd be lucky to find the password to get into his accounts, he never checks anything. At the beginning, I asked him, now I just apply. I think I know his SS# better than he does.

My DH knows enough to say my wife is brilliant and he knows the really big ticket items are free (like biz flights to London). Otherwise I'm the finance department in our house. I not only pay the bills, and do the investing, but I apply for cards in his name. He'd be lucky to find the password to get into his accounts, he never checks anything. At the beginning, I asked him, now I just apply. I think I know his SS# better than he does.

I'm the same with my DH. He has no idea what all I do, but he is fine with that. He is a little OCD, so I really don't ask him to do much with switching cards or anything. Honestly, he doesn't spend much money when I'm not around other than gas and lunches out, so he keeps 2 cards - the best one at the time for gas and his CSR which he uses for everything else (so he gets 3x points for dining on it).

I also take care of all investing, insurance, etc. As we're nearing retirement age, I'm trying to involve him more because honestly it's a big decision when to pull the plug, but his attitude is basically just let me know when we retire lol!

Very similar, experiences, then! DH calls me "good at points" to other people, I'm going to start asking him to upgrade me to "brilliant." Thanks for that idea 🤣

Yea my husband does not do any of the research/planning but he is happy to use the card I tell him to!

My dad used to be the king of points because he traveled SO much for work for decades. Now that hes been retired awhile and the point well is running dry I finally strong armed him into getting his first card for the purpose of the sign up bonus. My parents are super financially savvy and travel a ton so I hope once he sees how easy it can be he lets me help him dive fully in!

I'm the same with my DH. He has no idea what all I do, but he is fine with that. He is a little OCD, so I really don't ask him to do much with switching cards or anything. Honestly, he doesn't spend much money when I'm not around other than gas and lunches out, so he keeps 2 cards - the best one at the time for gas and his CSR which he uses for everything else (so he gets 3x points for dining on it).

I also take care of all investing, insurance, etc. As we're nearing retirement age, I'm trying to involve him more because honestly it's a big decision when to pull the plug, but his attitude is basically just let me know when we retire lol!

Very similar, experiences, then! DH calls me "good at points" to other people, I'm going to start asking him to upgrade me to "brilliant." Thanks for that idea 🤣
Yes, this is us as well. I asked him once if he even wanted to look at our taxes I was filing for the year. He asked “did you commit tax fraud?” I replied “no” and he said “I’m good then.” 😂 I’m also in charge of retirement. I sometimes feel the weight of the responsibility, and he offers to help. At this point after almost 30yrs I’m not willing to relinquish control. We’re both happy in our roles, and he’s an amazing P2/DH 😊

So when I got into this game, I did things backwards and didn’t start with Chase because I didn’t know any better. Thinking about my next card and wanted to solicit some thoughts from y’all!

3/24? Plat Biz doesn’t count, right?
  • May 2023 AmEx Plat Biz
  • Dec 2022 CapOne Savor One
  • Oct 2022 AmEx Plat
  • July 2022 CapOne Venture X

5+ years old
  • Discover
  • Chase Disney Visa
  • Chase United Gateway

Monthly spend $2-3k (gas, groceries, utilities, dining); Pay in full monthly

Primary airport MCO (can also do TPA and MIA) and Southwest does service my airport
Preferred FF program - doesn’t matter. The United card is my oldest card back from when I lived in NJ and EWR is a United hub so I am def not married to them. AA is probably a better bet or even SW.

Currently Marriott titanium (through 2/2025) due to an extended hotel stay/AmEx status is bonuses during a renovation. This is an anomaly that likely won’t be repeated.

Current points (I’ve spent a lot recently, so overall low)
  • Marriott ~200k
  • United ~5k
  • AA ~3k
  • Delta ~13k
  • AmEx MR ~16k
  • CapOne ~40k
  • Hyatt ~4k
Goals
  • 2025 Paris (flight + hotel)
  • 2026 New Zealand (flight, I realize there aren’t a lot of Marriotts or Hyatts there so am resigned to lag cash)
  • And having points to jump on random good deals to places I find interesting because I have a fairly flexible work schedule
No P2. Solo travel or trips with friends (who are fine flying separately)

I’m fine doing biz cards (and have a legit LLC w/ EIN)

Thinking I should dip my toe in Chase Sapphire but the current bonus looks low? I’ll prob have to shift some credit from one of my existing Chase cards for their credit to income ration, but that’s fine.
If you’ve read this far, thank you! And I’m interested in hearing your thoughts.

Speaking of friends and family not understanding that we're not rich, and that we're just point savvy... we do have one friend couple who recently got into the game and are doing quite well. It's been so nice to have someone local to also talk to about it (though nothing replaces the wisdom of this thread!)

At first I got push back from DH, he was nervous about the whole thing. Especially Biz cards. Then we took out first lie-flat-seats flight to Europe some years ago and he was hooked! He still doesn't quite follow along but he loves reaping the benefits and just lets me do whatever lol

Most of our friends know and somewhat understand what we do. Most have also come to us for advice and dipped in their toes and dabble a bit. Our families understand what we are doing and my BIL and SIL did a few SUBs after seeking advice for a trip. My mom has allowed me to open cards for her and add sticky notes to them in the past. She doesn't travel anymore though. So we do have people to talk to about the hobby that can follow along the conversation and topics.

DH was a reluctant P2 also until our first redemption which included a lie flat seat in a first class international trip. Then he was all in and all about the lie flats proclaiming no more coach for any flight over 3 hours :rolleyes1 This earned him the nickname "The Plane Princess" on this board and I stole the nickname for my IG page LOL

Since then, he has become far more involved in the hobby and said to me recently that thinks he has graduated from P2 to P1(a) :laughing:

So when I got into this game, I did things backwards and didn’t start with Chase because I didn’t know any better. Thinking about my next card and wanted to solicit some thoughts from y’all!

• May 2023 AmEx Plat Biz
  • Oct 2022 AmEx Plat

5+ years old
  • Discover
  • Chase Disney Visa
  • Chase United Gateway

Primary airport MCO (can also do TPA and MIA) and Southwest does service my airport
Preferred FF program - doesn’t matter. The United card is my oldest card back from when I lived in NJ and EWR is a United hub so I am def not married to them. AA is probably a better bet or even SW.

Currently Marriott titanium (through 2/2025) due to an extended hotel stay/AmEx status is bonuses during a renovation. This is an anomaly that likely won’t be repeated.

• Marriott ~200k
  • United ~5k
  • AA ~3k
  • Delta ~13k
  • AmEx MR ~16k
  • CapOne ~40k
  • Hyatt ~4k
Goals
  • 2026 New Zealand (flight, I realize there aren’t a lot of Marriotts or Hyatts there so am resigned to lag cash)
  • And having points to jump on random good deals to places I find interesting because I have a fairly flexible work schedule

Thinking I should dip my toe in Chase Sapphire but the current bonus looks low? I’ll prob have to shift some credit from one of my existing Chase cards for their credit to income ration, but that’s fine.
If you’ve read this far, thank you! And I’m interested in hearing your thoughts.
I'd go for a Chase Biz Ink card (cash/unlimited) with the elevated 90k bonus.

Expressing similar sentiments as above. My family all thinks we're "rich" because we take all these vacations. I try to tell them we use cc points, our travel budget has not increased, etc. and they think it's an absolute crock. They think we are secretly "hiding money", lol. Meanwhile, I've tried to help them before get into the cc/points games, and these same family members either left bills unpaid, made late payments, didn't pay off in full, left cc's with AFs open for years, etc. after advising them of everything they needed to do, in detail, with reminders! They let 160,000 AA points just "expire", and when the points were recently expired I told them to call in and ask about reinstating them and they said "that's too much work". They will use debit card for everything, and honestly it drives me insane!

I refuse to even help anyone anymore with the points game. I've told people they will have to learn themselves because of getting burned/blamed by my family for "messing up their credit score". *sigh* Those in my friend group don't really understand the whole points thing either except for one couple, so I really feel like there's no one to talk to about good redemptions, sign up bonuses, meeting MSRs, etc. You guys are my lifeline and my venting space for all things credit, haha.
Yes, people think we are really rich because they see us traveling around. I'm open that it's all on CC points and they look at you skeptically like they don't believe you. We have one couple friends who get it and dabble in it a little but not as big as we do. My Mom had us explain it to her once under the guise that she wanted to get into it. I think she just didn't believe that we didn't pay to travel, this is the women who still pays cash for everything (it makes me cringe to think of the points being wasted). That said, I did talk a co-worker to paying attention to the quarterly bonus categories on her Freedom that she already had. Then she spent the points she earned on an iPad :rolleyes1
I'm the finance department in this house as well. Sometimes, DH will open his own cards, sometimes I just tell him which one "he" just opened. I tend to be the one to generate the points, by knowing which bills we have coming up to meet an MSR and DH is the one that figures out the best way to spend them for wherever we want to go.

• May 2023 AmEx Plat Biz
  • Oct 2022 AmEx Plat

5+ years old
  • Discover
  • Chase Disney Visa
  • Chase United Gateway

• Marriott ~200k
  • United ~5k
  • AA ~3k
  • Delta ~13k
  • AmEx MR ~16k
  • CapOne ~40k
  • Hyatt ~4k
Goals

If you are okay with business cards, I’d apply for one of the Chase Ink cards. If not you could do a MDD with the CSR and CSP

None of our friends and family open cards…other than my daughter now wanting the SW CP.
I found this board a little over 5 years ago when trying to make more trips to visit our son in Orlando more than once a year.
It’s worked out very well, he now has 2 kids so we are able to fly down 4-6 times a year on SW using points and the CP. I also have made good use of the PYB on my CSR, first on restaurants(really miss that category) and now grocery stores stocking up on Disney GCs to pay for our DVC dues and APs.
My DH is fine with me opening cards in his name. We have been married 39 years and I’ve always paid the bills, done our taxes etc. I have tried over the years to explain stuff to him but he wants no part of it.
After I had my health scare last year I really tried to get him involved but no dice, so I have a detailed list of accounts, passwords, what to do and not do for him.
I have learned so much from this board and really appreciate the advice given from everyone who has been involved here :flower: now and in the past.

Expressing similar sentiments as above. My family all thinks we're "rich" because we take all these vacations. I try to tell them we use cc points, our travel budget has not increased, etc. and they think it's an absolute crock. They think we are secretly "hiding money", lol. Meanwhile, I've tried to help them before get into the cc/points games, and these same family members either left bills unpaid, made late payments, didn't pay off in full, left cc's with AFs open for years, etc. after advising them of everything they needed to do, in detail, with reminders! They let 160,000 AA points just "expire", and when the points were recently expired I told them to call in and ask about reinstating them and they said "that's too much work". They will use debit card for everything, and honestly it drives me insane!

I refuse to even help anyone anymore with the points game. I've told people they will have to learn themselves because of getting burned/blamed by my family for "messing up their credit score". *sigh* Those in my friend group don't really understand the whole points thing either except for one couple, so I really feel like there's no one to talk to about good redemptions, sign up bonuses, meeting MSRs, etc. You guys are my lifeline and my venting space for all things credit, haha.

Ugh, the 160K miles expiring hurts! I don't even know them and I'm mad lol!

I have 2 coworkers I go to lunch with sometimes and when our checks come they both throw down their credit union debit cards and I just cringe.

My DH was also skeptical to get into the game, so worried about his credit score. Then we flew to Europe on Singapore air and back on KLM, lie flat seats on both and he was hooked! We had our driveway sealed yesterday and the guy only takes cash or checks, sigh... I hate spending money when I don't get at least one measly point or mile!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter