I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

sorry tagged the wrong person its a cap of 3 months ever since the interest rate base was 4.5. (it used to be 6), I just referred someone.
Looks like it caps out at 6 months per the terms
you get the boost with a code, then you could refer one person, then I would wait until the bonus drops off to refer the others.

Eligibility requirements​

To receive a 3-month 0.50% APY boost for you and a friend, you must invite someone who isn’t already an existing client of Wealthfront products and services and doesn’t name you as a secondary account holder for a Joint or Trust Cash Account.

Boost maximums​

There's no limit to the number of referrals you can make; however, the maximum total duration of APY increases you can earn across all promotions is 6 months. The APY increase applies to a maximum of $250,000 across all of your Cash Account balances and categories.
So if I sign up off a referral and then refer my daughter, I get 6. She refers my mom, my daughter gets 6. Then my mom refers the BF, my mom gets 6, etc. Right? LOL

Where is everyone going in 2024?

We are finally going back to Disney World, we haven't been since 2021. And taking an extended family Cruisemas. Nothing else has been finalized.
Transmission on DHs 15 year old Buick just quit last night. Service guy says if he wanted to fix it, parts not available indefinitely. Not worth it; we had been thinking about going down to one car but mine is pretty old also so we may buy an EV to replace his. So, no major travel plans for a bit other than what’s already planned and budgeted for.

We are finally going back to Disney World, we haven't been since 2021. And taking an extended family Cruisemas. Nothing else has been finalized.
Since we did/are doing 2 international trips this year (Japan/Costa Rica), we're staying domestic in 2024. Gonna finally try to do Yellowstone/GTNP, and another trip to Utah to hit the 3 other parks (Arches/Canyonlands/Capitol Reef). Trying to add a Disney trip in there too, because, well, why not! lol

2024 I only have a trip with my bff discussed. I think to Montreal in May/June. Otherwise it'll be the year of no Disney. I've gone to at least 1 park a year since 2018 if not more and after Japan I just need a break.

Will probably plan something else even if just for a weekend. 2025 I think will have London and Paris but not sure yet.

Thank you! Everyone here is so friendly and knowledgeable.

I know it's subjective, and everyone will have differing advice, but I'm seeking opinions about what to do next. The goal is to accrue travel rewards mostly for LONG TERM use (i.e. not anything sooner than 9 months from now). No specific destinations in mind as we travel all over. Travelling party will be two adults and two young children. Preferred airline is American (lots of accrued miles, elite status, and AA has hub in local market) and we also have access to Southwest flights. No hotel preference (rewards members of Hyatt, Bonvoy, Hilton). Monthly spend around $5k and no balances. Main spending is on groceries, online shopping, to-go dining, and gas. Main stores we frequent are Walmart and grocery store chains. We both have Pre-Check, but not Clear. We do occasionally go to pharmacies and could get GC's, but we don't use pharmacies much currently. CS's are well north of 800 for P1 and P2.

P1:
11/22 - BOFA Unlimited Cash Rewards
06/23 - CSP

P2: AU on both of P1's accounts.

Edited to Add - We have several other store branded cards, one AA credit card, and a DV, but all these accounts are much older and way beyond 24 months ago since opening. The current thinking is to have P2 get CSP later this year and then downgrade one of us next year before the AF to CFU or CFF. I also want one of us to have the CFF or CFU, whichever one we don't get/have from the downgrade. What to do otherwise is the main advice being sought. We are interested potentially in Amex Platinum (we would be heavy W+ users and Exxon gas discount), and I know there are obviously many other great cards out there.

Long term strategies will vary by person of course. While a friendly group we have here, all of us have different goals and different methods to achieve said goals. You’ve gotten some sound advice so I’m going to chime in and share what works for me and P2.

No AU cards for us. We each get the sign up bonus, whether that is at the same time or right after one of us made the SUB for the first card. This way we double the points and miles we earn.

Most of our trips are planned 2 years out. This gives us one year to accumulate the points and miles we need for a specific trip so that they are in place when we need to book about a year before the trip. Our goals for flights are to fly business or first and those award seats are often limited.

Our main focus is building most of the points we have in variable currencies like Chase, Amex, Citi and Cap 1. This gives us flexibility as far as transfer partners, and bank transfer bonuses for transferring to a specific partner. We do this with a combination of meeting an MSR as well as building a family of cards to maximize bonus categories for spending. We will hop from one “family” to the other as points need to be replenished and we are between MSRs.

Some examples of a family of cards for Chase would be a CIC for 5x on internet, cable, phone and office supply stores for 5x since office supply stores sell gift cards. This helps one get 5x on most of their spending. To that add a CSP or a CSR for the ability to transfer along with some Freedom cards for the 5x rotating bonuses categories. We have a few Inks, a CSR and a CSP as well as a few Freedom cards of various flavors. For Citi, a Double Cash for 2x on non bonus spending as well as a Premier for 3x on groceries, gas, airlines and hotels. For Amex, a Blue Business Plus for 2x on non bonus categories and to keep MRs alive, a business gold for 4x on dining and gas or the personal gold for 4x on dining and groceries. We do each keep a Platinum card for Centurion lounge access, however, we can easily offset the fee each year by utilizing their coupon book of benefits.

We will apply for airline cards and churn them as well. Especially airlines that don’t have transfer partners with a bank. American Airlines and Alaska. We are in an AA hub so it makes sense for us. We will also use shopping portals and partner programs to boost the AA miles. The AA Advantage shopping portal, their dining rewards program, fuel rewards with Shell, bonus mikes with Hyatt, and Simply Miles offers on a MasterCard.

Hope this helps!

I have always been a proponent of diversification in the miles and points portfolio. Due to work, my dates for much of our travel are usually not flexible. More than once, I’ve had to switch gears and go from Plan A to Plan B etc. having points and miles in a variety of areas, especially the variable ones like Amex, UR, Citi and Cap 1 allows for this. When there are great bonuses in specific airline programs, I will jump on those too. Opportunistic hoarding.

Our trip to Egypt with ABD next January seemed easy enough for flights. I had a plan A that simply did not go as expected to get to Egypt unless I wanted to fly in coach. Plan B and see C were also a bust. Plot twist and I now find myself unexpectedly going to London for New Year’s in order to get to Egypt. Didn’t see that coming at all. Wish I had thought of that in the first place and saved myself the aggravation of Plans A, B, and C going up in smoke.

Anyway, without variable points and miles in different programs, I would not be able to have a plan B, C and so forth. So yes, I highly encourage stocking up in different programs! Happy Tavel hacking!
Definitely agree on flexible point currencies! We do hoard URs and MRs as well for that reason, but when the elevated Citi AAdvantage came about I made that my plan A for Japan thinking I would use those points to get there. Me and P2 each got one. But we can use those AA miles for something else, I just need to know in time to get other points lined up. Normally we would have a better stash but we hadn't been planning on the 2024 DVC Member Cruise (next May) and kinda decided that suddenly, so just recently used up a lot of MRs for flights and URs for Hyatt to spend time in Barcelona and elsewhere the week before and a few days after the cruise. There went my plan B for Japan...

I'm thinking I should see if we can pull the higher SUB offer on the Amex Gold, and there's always another CIC...

We've only been churning seriously for like 3 years so definitely appreciate all the wisdom on this thread!

Spain, then a Med cruise with DCL in May

Some CA national parks, then Disneyland in September

Japan in November

Those are the big trips, but there's always a long weekend here and there

Landing on a Saturday night in Sanford (SFB) at 11:45p. Any trouble getting a Lyft/Uber to UOR at that hour?
Rental car places close at 12a and we don't really need a car during our stay.
Thanks in advance

So far we have Egypt with ABD in January preceded by positioning in London of all places for New Years. We have a Greece cruise with Virgin planned for the summer as well as a trip to Paris and to London again. Of course there’s the multiple Disney trips throughout the year. But 2024 is pretty light for us as of now. I’m sure we will add something more before the end of 2024.

almost done with MSR for my CIC. (supported by P2)P2 got the new Marriott Boundless and will hit that MSRr within another month. Meanwhile we have a large expense , 15k, coming up beyond our normal spend.

the platinum Amex looks intriguing. just scared of the high AF . for either the biz or personal what do you do to offset it? I like the idea of building MRs. I'm not finding my venture x rewards or IHG that valuable. may transfer them to airline if feasible.

we use our amex hilton a lot, and find their hotels convenient. haven't tried WOH

we're both 4/24

no long range plans. possibly a greek cruise on virgin and would use our AA stash to fly to athens. otherwise mostly long weekends. and some disney with my new AP, using our DVC

almost done with MSR for my CIC. (supported by P2)P2 got the new Marriott Boundless and will hit that MSRr within another month. Meanwhile we have a large expense , 15k, coming up beyond our normal spend.

the platinum Amex looks intriguing. just scared of the high AF . for either the biz or personal what do you do to offset it? I like the idea of building MRs. I'm not finding my venture x rewards or IHG that valuable. may transfer them to airline if feasible.

we use our amex hilton a lot, and find their hotels convenient. haven't tried WOH

we're both 4/24

no long range plans. possibly a greek cruise on virgin and would use our AA stash to fly to athens. otherwise mostly long weekends. and some disney with my new AP, using our DVC

Some ways to offset the fee on the personal is by using the airline travel credit, the $200 hotel credit on FHR, Clear credit, Global Entry credit, $20/month streaming credit, the $50 twice a year Saks credit. With the business you have the $10/month wireless credit and the $200 twice a year Dell credit. Amex offers on both also help to offset the fee. If you value Centurion Lounge access, then figure in whatever value you would consider that to hold.

Transmission on DHs 15 year old Buick just quit last night. Service guy says if he wanted to fix it, parts not available indefinitely. Not worth it; we had been thinking about going down to one car but mine is pretty old also so we may buy an EV to replace his. So, no major travel plans for a bit other than what’s already planned and budgeted for.
We haven't had a "car payment" in quite some time either, but both of our cars are around 180k+ miles so we know time is limited. We were just talking tonight that we'd heard the average car payment is something like $1000/mo and people are signing up for 6 and 7 year terms. Yeesh. We prefer to pay cash when we can for a vehicle, but with the prices out there, I am not looking forward to having to pay for one or two vehicles in the coming few years.

Thinking about you as we stayed in the GT Hotel for the 2nd time last week. I think you usually use Hilton or Marriott points, but we like the GT Hotel. I booked through the Chase Portal both times. I feel safe and there isn't much road noise. We have stayed in lots of different hotels in the midtown area, but this is my favorite. Just a thought for a future visit.
Thank you! I know a lot of parents really like it. I’ve stayed at the ritz a few times but it’s a bit of a hike from the campus. Didn’t know it was on the chase portal so next trip I may give this a shot.

So far we have Egypt with ABD in January preceded by positioning in London of all places for New Years. We have a Greece cruise with Virgin planned for the summer as well as a trip to Paris and to London again. Of course there’s the multiple Disney trips throughout the year. But 2024 is pretty light for us as of now. I’m sure we will add something more before the end of 2024.
Which Greek cruise itinerary did you select? I am eyeing the Virgin French Daze & Ibiza Nights itinerary. I like the idea of two days in port in Ibiza and Mallorca.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter