• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I think I've decided to try the Sapphire double dip on Monday. It's not some type of bank holiday or anything, right? Recon and verification should be open like normal?

The last few times I've mentioned opening 2 new cards, it hasn't seemed to phase hubby so that's my tacit approval to go ahead :) (I haven't mentioned it's the one with $450 AF :scared1: that's later…)

I figured on Monday because if I do it successfully it'll soften the blow of whatever comes out of the SPG announcement. If something goes wrong, it's all rolled into one depressing event. This is all assuming all systems go at Chase.
Good luck. Just remember to use two different browsers. I used incognito mode on my computer and then incognito mode on my phone. Apply for the one you want most first. Then once it’s approved apply for the second.

You are safe. I was in NOVA. I really hope the guy was just mentally ill and just talking and I don’t see his face on the news about how he murdered multiple people. I didn’t get that vibe from him but idk. SO says I should have called the cops.

I was thinking the Walmart employees that heard him should have called someone.

This is one crazy place to live when it comes to wackos.

And what are you selling? I am fascinated by this eBay stuff. Spent a bunch of time reading up on it one night last week.

Amazon Fire tablets. Several models are marked down right now for Prime Members and there’s also an Amex Membership Rewards promotion that takes $20-40 off per tablet, limit 5, when you pay at least $0.01 with a MR point.

These discounts let me factor in eBay’s 10% fees and PayPal’s ~3% fees and still list them at or close to Amazon’s price (and not feel like a total scalper), even include free shipping, and make my money back or even come out a little ahead. I figure if I at least break even, I’ll have put several hundred dollars of spend on my MB Plat for the cost of only my labor.

With the exception of a single MR point, I’m putting the entire orders on my MB Plat, since I’m really doing this to meet MSR. No gift cards bought at 3x or 5x UR using Chase cards (although I suppose I could still use my MB Plat on MPX and earn 1 MR + 0.5 UA miles/$1 Amazon GC and still meet MSR). I’m keeping my eBay seller fees on my CIP since it earns 3x UR. Shipping through eBay is supposed to earn 3x UR on CIP too, but I need to figure that out on my account.

I think normally I wouldn’t bother since I expect the margins to be kind of slim, but I’m looking at potentially another $5k MSR if we get my wife her own Amex Platinum, so I have to get a little creative. And besides even if I just make a small or no profit, the sales numbers bump up my “business” revenue that I use to apply for Biz cards.

Last edited:

Amazon Fire tablets. Several models are marked down right now for Prime Members and there’s also an Amex Membership Rewards promotion that takes $20-40 off per tablet, limit 5, when you pay with at least $0.01 with a MR point.

These discounts let me factor in eBay’s 10% fees and PayPal’s ~3% fees and still list them at or close to Amazon’s price (and not feel like a total scalper), even include free shipping, and make my money back or even come out a little ahead. I figure if I at least break even, I’ll have put several hundred dollars of spend on my MB Plat for the cost of only my labor.

With the exception of a single MR point, I’m putting the entire orders on my MB Plat, since I’m really doing this to meet MSR. No gift cards bought at 3x or 5x UR using Chase cards (although I suppose I could still use my MB Plat on MPX and earn 1 MR + 0.5 UA miles/$1 Amazon GC and still meet MSR). I’m keeping my eBay seller fees on my CIP since it earns 3x UR. Shipping through eBay is supposed to earn 3x UR on CIP too, but I need to figure that out on my account.

I think normally I wouldn’t bother since I expect the margins to be kind of slim, but I’m looking at potentially another $5k MSR if we get my wife her own Amex Platinum, so I have to get a little creative. And besides even if I just make a small or no profit, the sales numbers bump up my “business” revenue that I use to apply for Biz cards.

Nice! Thanks for explaining. It is so interesting the wide variety of items people sell as a side gig.

I just got the invoice for our new health insurance policy. I am supposed to send a check and I think it said auto draft (bank acct only possibly, ugh) after that. Well I was planning to pay the invoice via plastiq, but it just came today and is due 4/19. So, I am guessing it is too late to send via plastiq. Any other ideas? I sure hate to lose out on points for a $700/month bill this month and subsequent months assuming it is auto drafted from checking from now on.

As much as I hate selling on eBay I've been thinking about doing the same after I saw some insane clearance prices in a couple stores here. I kinda stretched it to have 4 digits on the AmEx app... I was going with projected revenue :D... but thought it might worth the risk getting a bad apple just so it's not all malarkey. As a buyer I appreciate a buyer focused returns and disputes process but as a seller :eek: But if I want to keep going for Biz cards I probably have to accept a little risk. eBay should get me some quick sales while waiting for the right buyer to come along on Etsy for the "good" stuff.

I just got the invoice for our new health insurance policy. I am supposed to send a check and I think it said auto draft (bank acct only possibly, ugh) after that. Well I was planning to pay the invoice via plastiq, but it just came today and is due 4/19. So, I am guessing it is too late to send via plastiq. Any other ideas? I sure hate to lose out on points for a $700/month bill this month and subsequent months assuming it is auto drafted from checking from now on.

Sometimes there is an expedited option, but not quite sure how they’ve determined who and what payees qualify other than going through the process and see if they offer the expedited option on the calendar. You will be eating $15 fee for doing so, though. If it works, 4/19 would be available as a payment date with +$15 beside it. Is your health insurance company a large provider? Wonder if they would qualify as an ACH or electronic payment via Plastiq.

And what are you selling? I am fascinated by this eBay stuff. Spent a bunch of time reading up on it one night last week.

As much as I hate selling on eBay I've been thinking about doing the same after I saw some insane clearance prices in a couple stores here. I kinda stretched it to have 4 digits on the AmEx app... I was going with projected revenue :D... but thought it might worth the risk getting a bad apple just so it's not all malarkey. As a buyer I appreciate a buyer focused returns and disputes process but as a seller :eek: But if I want to keep going for Biz cards I probably have to accept a little risk. eBay should get me some quick sales while waiting for the right buyer to come along on Etsy for the "good" stuff.

I don’t plan to do this, but I suspect the Target/Hunter collaboration that launches tonight/tomorrow will be bought up in a hot sec and resold at a significant markup on eBay.

I just scheduled my first payment via Plastiq. I feel like such a legit DISChurner now, lol! It was for the renewal of the registration on my car. There was a pay online option, but the convenience fee was about triple the Plastiq fee and I wouldn't be getting 3x paying that way, so I decided to get my toes wet with Plastiq + CIP. Idaho gives an option for a two-year renewal, which is nice. Even nicer is that I'm pretty sure the fee for the two-year renewal is less than the fee I typically paid in California for a one-year renewal :)

Looking at Hyatt Regency Vancouver for a few nights pre cruise. The bookings for May 2019 will open soon, so I’ve been scoping it out. If I can snag awards nights soon, does anyone know if I can call and add a night later or add a free night when I get my free night cert in September?

I don’t plan to do this, but I suspect the Target/Hunter collaboration that launches tonight/tomorrow will be bought up in a hot sec and resold at a significant markup on eBay.

LOL Funnily enough I was just in my eBay account and saw in my Watch list something from the Marimekko collection that's still an active listing and they're still clinging to their significant markup :rotfl:If it's not an eBay glitch and they indeed still have 4 left in inventory (out of 5) sometimes you have to know when to just Let it Go...

LOL Funnily enough I was just in my eBay account and saw in my Watch list something from the Marimekko collection that's still an active listing and they're still clinging to their significant markup :rotfl:If it's not an eBay glitch and they indeed still have 4 left in inventory (out of 5) sometimes you have to know when to just Let it Go...

I don't think marimekko received as my hype as Alexander McQueen, Jason Wu, or Lily Pulitzer. Note for anyone thinking of reselling Target's Hunter collection, the return period is just 14-days so you can't easily return items that don't resell.

I don't think marimekko received as my hype as Alexander McQueen, Jason Wu, or Lily Pulitzer. Note for anyone thinking of reselling Target's Hunter collection, the return period is just 14-days so you can't easily return items that don't resell.

I don’t think the Hunter stuff looks that great. Maybe it just isn’t my style, but nothing really stands out to me. I liked the Marimekko stuff a lot. But I also shop at the Crate and Barrel outlet to buy marrimeko fabric for sewing projects.

I think Hunter is going to be very region specific like Lily was. I had friends in the south line up to get in the morning of yet in Seattle I bought several things on clearance weeks later. Too much past the hype for the markups though. It's just not the style of the PNW. Neither is Hunter .I saw more people wearing them in the south than I do here. People don't really wear rain boots whereas in the south its more of a style and name to be seen wearing the boots with leggings in the fall.

I do want a pair of the short boots for taking the dog out because they will be easier than regular boots but I'm not sure if I should try online or go to the store. Two of the three within 7 miles of me will have them.

I think Hunter is going to be very region specific like Lily was. I had friends in the south line up to get in the morning of yet in Seattle I bought several things on clearance weeks later. Too much past the hype for the markups though. It's just not the style of the PNW. Neither is Hunter .I saw more people wearing them in the south than I do here. People don't really wear rain boots whereas in the south its more of a style and name to be seen wearing the boots with leggings in the fall.

I do want a pair of the short boots for taking the dog out because they will be easier than regular boots but I'm not sure if I should try online or go to the store. Two of the three within 7 miles of me will have them.

I can see that point.

I'm still up trying to snag a few items on my wife's wishlist and for the kiddo too. Of course this collection comes out at the end of California's rainy season. I guess there's hope for next year.

I can see that point.

I'm still up trying to snag a few items on my wife's wishlist and for the kiddo too. Of course this collection comes out at the end of California's rainy season. I guess there's hope for next year.

I think the collection will do well, maybe no Lily well or I just don't have friends that are as excited about it. I also think it'll sell out, especially the tall boots before some of the other stuff. It'll be interesting to see how this one does because I don't think the last couple have been that great/exciting for the masses and this has a wider appeal than others but narrow. It'll get the people that won't pay retail for them because of the lower price point but I think it have done better in the fall. Though it was raining on our way home from the Mariners game a bit ago, thank goodness for our roof :)

SPG Biz points/tax payment update:
  • Paid taxes $1434 + $35 fee for using credit card on 4/1 ($1469 total)
  • First statement closed 4/12, today can see statement pdf and starpoints earned YTD
  • Statement Balance is $4962, Starpoints is 3685, so a difference of 1277 - but two purchases earned 2x points, so if I take away the bonus points I get a difference of 1485 :(
  • Everything is organic spend, the only large charge besides taxes was buying gift cards at my grocery store, which were for gifts/to earn fuel points, and is not an obvious number like $XX5.95

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter