I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
AUs CLs shouldn’t matter, never seen anyone mention that. I have seen people suggest be under 50% of your income in CLs or 60-70k total CL, whatever is lower. PLEASE REMEMBER: there is no going back. Once you request a CL with Chase be lowered you can’t increase it back.
When talking about CL and % of income with Chase, are they only looking at your Chase limits, or total amongst all cards?

Well, maybe I've just been always doing it the difficult way... but they did make it really easy to see if your price went down, instead of having to look up your price/point cost in your emails: https://thepointsguy.com/news/southwest-just-made-it-really-easy-to-see-if-your-flight-cost-changed/

Have you been able to get EBCI changed for free when you rebook for lower cost? I just assumed you couldn't for some reason, since EBCI says it's non refundable.
Yep! That is precisely why I change and don’t cancel since we typically just pay for EBCI, especially when we are out of the country for vacation. I actually just recently changed our flight from Cancun to Punta Cana in June. I made the change online for DH and me and then I had to call and for DS’s since the CP. The CR actually canceled the Cancun flight and refunded the EBCI and then booked the Punta Cana flight, applied the tax credit and I paid the remainder of the taxes and EBCI since the taxes were higher.

I see what you mean about the interface though. That was the new look when I changed our flight to Punta Cana.

And, darn, it looks like they fixed it so you can’t change your flight without first changing CP flight so I would be stuck calling for any changes to my flight and DS’s now.

Last edited:
Is it a bad idea to list the small business I work for when applying for a Chase Business Card? They actually do reimburse me for some charges. Would I still use my SSN or the company Federal TIN?

You should only apply for cards for a business you actually "own". By own, I mean you sell stuff on ebay, you own the rental property, you own the small business. If the business is ok with applying for a biz card they would use their tax id number but you would have to have the discussion about who got the points.

Unless you are looking at it for the business you work for to benefit you should find your own "business" and apply on your own with your own SS#.

Hmmm if Chase does the 100k UR for small business week, I wonder if I would have better luck SMing Chase to tell them there are no Chase branches near me and therefore I can't go in to get the offer... Closest one is 4 hours away and I was planning on applying 5/1 anyways.

Southwest question... if I check in for a flight 24 hours out, I can still cancel it up to 10 minutes before boarding and get my points back? Does anyone know?

Well, maybe I've just been always doing it the difficult way... but they did make it really easy to see if your price went down, instead of having to look up your price/point cost in your emails: https://thepointsguy.com/news/southwest-just-made-it-really-easy-to-see-if-your-flight-cost-changed/

Have you been able to get EBCI changed for free when you rebook for lower cost? I just assumed you couldn't for some reason, since EBCI says it's non refundable.

Nice! I always have a sheet of paper I write when I book on sw. I list flight info and each conf # and flight cost. Then i reference it and update it as I change flights or rebook at a better rate. Will be nice to not have to do that anymore. Well maybe I still will since I usually have 6 conf #s to keep up with.

Nice! I always have a sheet of paper I write when I book on sw. I list flight info and each conf # and flight cost. Then i reference it and update it as I change flights or rebook at a better rate. Will be nice to not have to do that anymore. Well maybe I still will since I usually have 6 conf #s to keep up with.

I do the same and I saw that blog and tried it. Since I keep track of many flights I find it easier to keep doing it the pen and paper way.

So I need a little bit of advice....a few of my fellow soccer parents know about my little URs addiction that I have and our soccer coach just asked me for help about how to earn airline flights using credit cards. He's from England and wants to earn international flights - most of my experience is domestic and I fly almost exclusively on SW. We travel for soccer tournaments, hubby's marathons, and to Disney.

Which credit cards should I recommend to him? I always say CSP. I don't think he could stomach the CSR annual fee. I was going to recommend the CF-CSP-airline card trio. I always say Chase first, but what about Barclay's?

so many factors at play here.....disclaimer: I am also from England and have used miles for trips home many times...but the damn taxes!!! Most of my flights have been in economy - although I have done a few PE redemptions and also upgrades from paid economy.

Anyway, most of the English soccer coaches I know are late twenties/early thirties, been over here a few years, probably have little credit history so are probably going to be fairly limited in what cards they can get and large MSRs might be a challenge. Their idea of a trip home is the cheapest possible ticket so the complexities of earning miles to fly luxury is less important to them. Does that sound anything like your coach?

So over the last decade I have been through Chase BA x3, BOA Virgin x3, Citi AA Visa/MC x4 - especially a few years back when those cards were giving out 75k - 100k miles to almost anyone. Right now, I would tell anyone to focus on UR and MR, maybe even TYP. The signup bonuses for BA and VS cards require a lot of spend, thereafter you can do as well, if not better, earning Virgin Miles or Avios with Amex MR or Citi TYP earning cards - especially when Amex or Citi has the transfer bonuses. Of course, the flexibility of Chase UR with the option to grab a big signup bonus and then use the chase travel portal for 1.5x value is a good option too, but I get the impression the CSR might be out of reach.

Anyway, if large MSRs are OK, I would probably be suggesting something like..

1. CSR/CSP
2. Amex Plat or PRG

Possibly downgrade the above after a year and then have CF and Amex EDP as keepers.

If large MSRs are not an option - then CF and Amex EDP are not bad cards to start with. Then progress to the others later.

However, I would also add that the bargains that used to exist for transatlantic economy redemptions are harder to find now. Particularly with the move to peak pricing. I once flew IcelandAir via Reykjavik BOS - LHR and it cost me less than the fees and taxes on a BA reward!!

So I specifically recall DPs that the $89 version is not subject to 5/24. I assume the $29 version isn’t either (but maybe check that - or can somebody else clarify on that??)

Are you a risk for Chase Shutdown? What all cards have you gotten (including month and year) in the past 24 months? How many inquiries do you have?

I don't think I am at risk for a Chase shutdown. I am not as ambitious on most on here when it comes to churning.

I have opened in the past 24 months:
  • CF 7/16
  • Old Navy 9/16
  • Samsung 8/17
  • Chase SW Premier 9/17
  • Discover IT 1/18
According to Credit Karma I have 4 hard inquiries if you look at TransUnion; only 2 if you look at Equifax

I really think I am holding off on IHG until after I get the CFU and drop down below 5/24 again. But let me know what you think in terms of a shutdown. I think I am fine...hopefully.

Edit : Just checked - Chase SW should be in the above list opened 1/17 and now closed. So I am actually 6/24 and won't be under 5/24 until October.

Last edited:
Is it a bad idea to list the small business I work for when applying for a Chase Business Card? They actually do reimburse me for some charges. Would I still use my SSN or the company Federal TIN?
A very bad idea. If you do not own the company/are an authorized officer (President/VP/Treasurer) of the company you can’t take a credit card out on it. You would need to use the company EIN. If you are an authorized officer you better be legitly authorized, like your name shows on corporate records filed with the state authorized and your President is 100% ok with you taking out a credit card in the company’s name.

Honestly- just think of a “business”, use your SSN, use your name as the company name & leave the company you work for completely out of it aside from those reimbursements :)

I don't think I am at risk for a Chase shutdown. I am not as ambitious on most on here when it comes to churning.

I have opened in the past 24 months:
  • CF 7/16
  • Old Navy 9/16
  • Samsung 8/17
  • Chase SW Premier 9/17
  • Discover IT 1/18
According to Credit Karma I have 4 hard inquiries if you look at TransUnion; only 2 if you look at Equifax

I really think I am holding off on IHG until after I get the CFU and drop down below 5/24 again. But let me know what you think in terms of a shutdown. I think I am fine...hopefully.

Edit : Just checked - Chase SW should be in the above list opened 1/17 and now closed. So I am actually 6/24 and won't be under 5/24 until October.
Ok - I agree you’re not likely a shutdown risk. If you add that other SW card in there...then yes you are 6/24. You would be 4/24 in September of this year so getting an IHG now would mean you wouldn't be 4/24 until Jan of 2019... I see you have no biz cards on the list - is that not something in your wheelhouse?

At any rate - I'd be hard pressed to recommend getting an IHG card right now. How many points is the property you're looking at and how many points do you have?

When talking about CL and % of income with Chase, are they only looking at your Chase limits, or total amongst all cards?

When I was looking at my credit score on Credit Journey earlier this afternoon, I noticed that they had my entire credit line listed. I also noticed that my available credit is double what my income is/was - I just retired in February. They've given me two cards in the last seven months with good credit limits despite the huge amount of available credit. The two Chase cards were 4 and 5 of my current 5/24. I always show 0% utilization, as I pay as I charge.

Ok - I agree you’re not likely a shutdown risk. If you add that other SW card in there...then yes you are 6/24. You would be 4/24 in September of this year so getting an IHG now would mean you wouldn't be 4/24 until Jan of 2019... I see you have no biz cards on the list - is that not something in your wheelhouse?

At any rate - I'd be hard pressed to recommend getting an IHG card right now. How many points is the property you're looking at and how many points do you have?

Thanks. I don't feel the need to go for a "business" card at this point. Just doesn't feel right to me. I will wait on the IHG simply because I want the CFU, especially if that stays at 3x points when I am ready to apply. I know I won't get the bonus but I have big spend with college tuition that could earn me some nice URs.

In terms of the points I need it would be 40,000 which I can mostly cover with UR points right now. But it would wipe me out and not sure the trip I am planning is worth it. I may just do a combo of points and cash. Waiting for vaca time to be approved then I have to see what is actually still available in terms of hotels.

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks. I don't feel the need to go for a "business" card at this point. Just doesn't feel right to me. I will wait on the IHG simply because I want the CFU, especially if that stays at 3x points when I am ready to apply. I know I won't get the bonus but I have big spend with college tuition that could earn me some nice URs.

In terms of the points I need it would be 40,000 which I can mostly cover with UR points right now. But it would wipe me out and not sure the trip I am planning is worth it. I may just do a combo of points and cash. Waiting for vaca time to be approved then I have to see what is actually still available in terms of hotels.

Thanks again for your help.
Sorry for all the questions but I see you don’t have a CSP, CSR or CIP - how do you plan to use your URs to help pay for the hotel?

I have CSP. I just listed cards I got in the last 24 mos. Got the CSP in 2016.
Ahh makes sense :) sorry, haha. Have you looked to see if it makes more sense to pay the cash rate for your hotel with URs at 1.25 vs. transferring points to IHG? You may have already compared those options but if the cost is < $600 paying with URs may cost < 40k points.

Ahh makes sense :) sorry, haha. Have you looked to see if it makes more sense to pay the cash rate for your hotel with URs at 1.25 vs. transferring points to IHG? You may have already compared those options but if the cost is < $600 paying with URs may cost < 40k points.

I may have but not sure if it was less. I looked at lots of different options and don't remember. I will have to check again. Thanks for the reminder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter