I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those playing with Plastiq/CIP mortgage payments . . . it looks like they accepted the Wells Fargo info I just put in for my payment. My business name was "ATTN: Cashier" as some of you suggested. On the second line for business/address I put "WLS FRGO HM." The system accepted it. Hopefully, it doesn't kick back for verification (crossing fingers and toes).

Next up is Chase. Will do that one after I verify that the Wells payment gets sent with no issues.

I'm trying to max out my Discover quarter and even after buying a BJ's gift card to cover shopping the rest of the year I still have a couple hundred to go. So I'm thinking about gas stations but I've never used a gift card at a gas station before. I haven't noticed a GC option at the Sunoco pumps so I assume if they can be used for gas I have to go inside. Is there any brand that takes gift cards at the pump? Or do you have to apply them with the cashier? Speedway and Sunoco are our top two, but Shell and Exxon/Mobile are doable. Is there someone easier than the others?

So....if I completely change my mind about Europe:rolleyes1 and try for LAX-HON... I can see availability on AA thru AK air using AA award points at 22.5k- would that indicate that there is award availability to call BA and use? Or it HAS to appear on the BA site to use my Avios (I'm sorry I sound dense,I've literally been reading on this for 2 years and can't grasp the exact 'how' of doing this)
...And..... just one more question about booking on award points- I read an at=rticle about changes/ cancel fees etc for award tickets- but it's over a year old- it seems fairly liberal,anyone have any experience with making a change/cancel an ward flight ticket on either AA thru BA etc?

I'm trying to max out my Discover quarter and even after buying a BJ's gift card to cover shopping the rest of the year I still have a couple hundred to go. So I'm thinking about gas stations but I've never used a gift card at a gas station before. I haven't noticed a GC option at the Sunoco pumps so I assume if they can be used for gas I have to go inside. Is there any brand that takes gift cards at the pump? Or do you have to apply them with the cashier? Speedway and Sunoco are our top two, but Shell and Exxon/Mobile are doable. Is there someone easier than the others?
I use Shell gift cards at the pump. I don't select a gift card option, I just swipe it like a normal credit card. I haven't tried other chains, but I imagine they'd be similar.

I've used Shell and Exxon/Mobil GCs with the same experience as @peel. You just swipe or insert the GCs at the pump as if you were using a credit card (just align the magnetic stripe). As long as you have a balance on the GC, the pump will accept it. When the GC is drained, the pump will automatically cut off the gas. Your receipt should show any remaining balance.

Labor day weekend in San Francisco! Miles, points and a free anniversary night = 2 nights at the Hyatt at the wharf https://fishermanswharf.centric.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html, a trip to the Walt Disney Family Museum, dinner at In-N-Out and the Mariners vs A's with friends. Excited to go and not have to crash in someone's guest room/rent a car/rely on them to get me around. The Hyatt I picked was because it's a cat 4 and the one in the financial district is a 5 but more importantly, the one by the wharf is also by an In-N-Out :) So far I've only paid 11 bucks for the flights :)

ETA - Forgot to mention that the rooms at this place are going for $500 a night that weekend, crazy!

I did just research uber to/from SFO and I'll probably be using my old friend SuperShuttle because it's at least 10 bucks cheaper and I doubt there will be many stops.

You could also take BART from SFO to Embarcadero station for less than $10, transfer to the Muni F-line streetcar right on Market Street that’ll take you all the way to Fisherman’s Wharf for $2.75.

There’s a small cafe in the Walt Disney Family Museum, but I wouldn’t say the menu is anything really notable; mostly sandwiches, salads, soups, and desserts. On a nice day, you can enjoy a quick bite at some tables on the porch, look out to the Bay and even see Alcatraz.

Are you going on a Saturday or Sunday? If you’ll be there on a Sunday, there’s the Presidio Picnic event that’ll have two dozen food trucks to eat from.

https://offthegrid.com/event/presidio-picnic/2018-3-18-11am

https://www.presidio.gov/events/presidio-picnic

For more upscale dining and drinks, there’s Arguello and The Commissary around the Main Post, and the Presidio Social Club (try the beignets!) near ILM. Since you’ll be near ILM, also check out the Yoda fountain!

ETA: The Presidio Visitor Center is also nearby with historical and nature exhibits and a gift shop for NPS stuff. You should swing by!

I might need to pick both your brains on this for our end of June trip. First leg is SF and second will DL. Originally, we were planning on flying into SFO, but wasn't a fan of the departure/arrival times into SFO, so decided to ultimately fly into Oakland and taking an uber to the Hyatt in Embarcadero Are we crazy? I've been stocking up on Uber GCs whenever I can source them for a minimum of 10% off (or 5x UR) for the trips from the airport and generally around town (also for the DL/LA leg). But wondering if I've accumulated enough (may use Lyft as well)...did a mock trip from OAK to the Hyatt Embarcadero and seems like it's ~$45, though not factoring in traffic.

Also, debated between the Hyatt in Embarcadero and the Wharf that @afan is staying at for Labor Day weekend, but went with the Embarcadero despite the higher points required since it's closer to the Alcatraz and we are going to a Giants game one day. Was basically a coin flip, but DH (and admittedly, I) also wanted to see the Atrium and be closer to Chinatown for all the food lol.

Haven't looked into the Walt Disney Museum and now I guess I must :) Any other recommendations for first timers to SF? :groom:

For those playing with Plastiq/CIP mortgage payments . . . it looks like they accepted the Wells Fargo info I just put in for my payment. My business name was "ATTN: Cashier" as some of you suggested. On the second line for business/address I put "WLS FRGO HM." The system accepted it. Hopefully, it doesn't kick back for verification (crossing fingers and toes).

Next up is Chase. Will do that one after I verify that the Wells payment gets sent with no issues.

That's some creative addressing! I'm curious if it works.

There is a DP on Reddit that someone didn’t get their points with an Amex Hilton when funding BMO. :scared: I still have my Delta points and I will still try the SPG and I’ll keep everyone posted.

I'm going next on rented DVC points so apparently I'll be spared (well, my reservation is already locked so I'm spared this time regardless).

This is another way for the mouse to make DVC look attractive. But those prices right now are on a crazy bubble too.

Just UGH.

I shudder at the idea of paying for parking also, even though now I only use DVC to stay at Disney.

But - the Swan and Dolphin charge for parking and they charge a resort fee on top of that - one of the reasons I now won't stay at S&D....stayed there too often without any fees for $129 a night or cash and points 4000 points and $60. There's also the possibility of paying for parking at the DSprings hotels.

Disney is a business, but it pushed me away from its regular product, not because of DVC - I already had that, but because it priced me out. Once deluxe hotels started heading towards $500 a night with taxes, I was done. I won't stay at the values for over $100 a night or the moderates for over $200 a night (I've paid $59 value and $79 for moderates). Too many great options offsite for much cheaper!

I sent out, last week, a test payment to Navy Federal for our mortgage. I entered the address as noted on the payment coupon and it sent without issue. Waiting for it to credit to see if it works. Have some spending on my new business SPG to meet. Currently spend $0, left to spend $7,000. 8-)

I use Shell gift cards at the pump. I don't select a gift card option, I just swipe it like a normal credit card. I haven't tried other chains, but I imagine they'd be similar.

I've used Shell and Exxon/Mobil GCs with the same experience as @peel. You just swipe or insert the GCs at the pump as if you were using a credit card (just align the magnetic stripe). As long as you have a balance on the GC, the pump will accept it. When the GC is drained, the pump will automatically cut off the gas. Your receipt should show any remaining balance.

Excellent, thanks! I was kinda hoping that was the case. I'm assuming if I go to a Shell station to buy the gift cards that'll code as a gasoline category on Discover and I'm all set then, right?
I just remembered that some places split the pumps from the convenience store so they get different categories. :(

Question about SPG points. Will the points be in an SPG account or are they tied right to Amex? Let's say I cancel the card in a year, will the points be forfeited?

I might need to pick both your brains on this for our end of June trip. First leg is SF and second will DL. Originally, we were planning on flying into SFO, but wasn't a fan of the departure/arrival times into SFO, so decided to ultimately fly into Oakland and taking an uber to the Hyatt in Embarcadero Are we crazy? I've been stocking up on Uber GCs whenever I can source them for a minimum of 10% off (or 5x UR) for the trips from the airport and generally around town (also for the DL/LA leg). But wondering if I've accumulated enough (may use Lyft as well)...did a mock trip from OAK to the Hyatt Embarcadero and seems like it's ~$45, though not factoring in traffic.

Also, debated between the Hyatt in Embarcadero and the Wharf that @afan is staying at for Labor Day weekend, but went with the Embarcadero despite the higher points required since it's closer to the Alcatraz and we are going to a Giants game one day. Was basically a coin flip, but DH (and admittedly, I) also wanted to see the Atrium and be closer to Chinatown for all the food lol.

Haven't looked into the Walt Disney Museum and now I guess I must :) Any other recommendations for first timers to SF? :groom:

What time does your flight get in? Traffic can be nuts so you might want to take BART from the airport since you're near the stop anyway. I think from OAK you have to take a shuttle to the station. Plus if I remember right you pay tolls going into the city from Oakland and that can get backed up.

I would look into buying your Alcatraz tickets now if you haven't already. I'm not aure how far out you can buy them but don't wait until you get there or you probably won't be going. They sell out, especially in the summer.

Pride weekend is in June, not sure when, but depending on where they have events it could affect stuff.

It's a fairly easy city to get around with public transit, which includes the cable cars, and your own feet. If I'm imagining the market street car @Lain mentioned I think it runs to the Giants stadium but I could be picturing it wrong or using the wrong line.

would suggest also clearing it on the bank end too. The bank might think its weird that you usually have 1 plastiq payment for the past x amount of months and was weird to get another one... worth making a note just in case!

Now that I read the message again, it does seem like it was the bank that held up the payment, not Plastiq. I was afraid to call in in case they questioned my "Attn Cashier" payment, but what you said makes sense and worth a call to be able to pay the auto loan in the future.

I spend nearly all my time on this thread... then saw the rumor about Disney charging to park in their resorts (overnight guests) on Facebook... and came back to Dis to check and sure enough there's a giant rumor thread. Why must Disney be so expensive? How do families afford it without credit card points? I don't get it.

I know! I paid for our trip onsite in January strictly on points. My plan has been to just pay out of pocket for the rooms I booked with the bounce back for our May trip (pay out of pocket and have it help meet a minimum spend). BUT now I am seriously looking how much we are paying even with the best possible deal to stay on site. For some reason for me the parking is almost the final straw. I just checked and an awesome Windsor Hills town home we have stayed at before is available. The site is quoting $900 for the 6 nights and I think since we are repeat customers she would give it to me even cheaper than that (probably around $700). To stay at CBR it is $2100! Possibility of paying for parking is the final straw almost. PLUS if I booked the town home I know she has the payments through Paypal. 5 times rewards on Freedom next quarter! Decisions...

u signed up for that shell account right? 5 cents back!

Question about SPG points. Will the points be in an SPG account or are they tied right to Amex? Let's say I cancel the card in a year, will the points be forfeited?

one reason I like msin with spg card is they can't claw ur spg points back.

I sent out, last week, a test payment to Navy Federal for our mortgage. I entered the address as noted on the payment coupon and it sent without issue. Waiting for it to credit to see if it works. Have some spending on my new business SPG to meet. Currently spend $0, left to spend $7,000. 8-)

Please update when it credits. I tried to get my NFCU car loan in last month and it would not go. I'm going to try again around the 22nd. Other than CC bills, that loan is the only one I'm not paying by CC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter