• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ice Packs - How to Keep Cold

Do the resorts still have ice machines? I took my kids last year, but I have no idea because we had no need for ice. I don't remember going into the little vending area at the hotel for anything either. But even if the resorts no longer have ice machines, you can fill a freezer bag with ice at your resort's food area, take it to your rom and keep your ice packs in it in the fridge overnight. Grab some salt packets too and you can make your ice even colder--fun with chemistry!

Do the resorts still have ice machines? I took my kids last year, but I have no idea because we had no need for ice. I don't remember going into the little vending area at the hotel for anything either. But even if the resorts no longer have ice machines, you can fill a freezer bag with ice at your resort's food area, take it to your rom and keep your ice packs in it in the fridge overnight. Grab some salt packets too and you can make your ice even colder--fun with chemistry!
Yes, the Disney resorts still have ice machines and ice buckets in the rooms.

You have the right idea about the meaning, and you are right....it’s gross and unsanitary. Thank goodness the ice at Disney isn’t exposed in a bin for this kind of thing to occur.
Just wondering how this is "gross and unsanitary" if you use the bag provided by Disney to line the ice bucket? Or is that not appropriate either?
Honestly trying to figure out the thinking on this as I suspect we have different beliefs on this level.

Just wondering how this is "gross and unsanitary" if you use the bag provided by Disney to line the ice bucket? Or is that not appropriate either?
Honestly trying to figure out the thinking on this as I suspect we have different beliefs on this level.
Digging around in a bin of ice and placing something under the ice in the bin is just not something I would want folks doing. What if everyone did this? I’m just real glad the Disney Resort ice machines are not open bins of ice. For good reason I see, because of something like this which I would never in a bazillion years ever think someone would do, but Disney Management has figured out a way to protect the public from what some folks think is a perfectly fine idea.

Digging around in a bin of ice and placing something under the ice in the bin is just not something I would want folks doing. What if everyone did this? I’m just real glad the Disney Resort ice machines are not open bins of ice. For good reason I see, because of something like this which I would never in a bazillion years ever think someone would do, but Disney Management has figured out a way to protect the public from what some folks think is a perfectly fine idea.

I too doubt this would work for the multitude of people who are now bereft of their reusable gel packs; it was a suggestion for a poster who has specific health concerns before the loose ice ban came out. Thought I alluded or outright said that up thread but maybe it was missed in reading.

Do you really need to bring Lactaid around the park with you? I just fill up a couple of insulated bottles with ice and water and that’s what they drink. If we stop for food they can have apple juice. I’d be nervous about bringing milk around all day when it’s 80 degrees out. I’d be nervous that no solution will really consistently keep milk out of the danger zone.

There are actually several thermos type containers (some by the actual Thermos brand, others not) that claim to keep cold contents cold for 12 hours or more. I’ve tested a few with astonishing results. I even left one with ice water in my car in the sun in the middle of the summer for 8+ hours. At the end of the day, I took a sip, and it was still icy.

I wrote to disney.......
Question about the new ice rule. What does it mean by "no loose ice"? Can you have ice in a quart size ziplock bag inside a cooler? The recommendation of using reusable freezer packs......most people staying on site have no way to freeze the packs.

Here is the answer......
Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort!

Coolers smaller than 24" length x 15" width x 18" height, with or without wheels, are allowed in the Disney Water Parks. The coolers will be inspected for glass and alcoholic beverages, which are not permitted. In order to improve Guest flow, ease congestion and streamline the bag-check and entry processes, loose and dry ice is not permitted in our Theme Parks. Reusable ice packs are recommended.

Storage areas are not provided.

So no real answer. Maybe someone will get a different (and better) answer. I'm not sure why the CM mentioned the water parks alone.

I wrote back to disney saying they really didn't answer my questions of how to freeze the pack or if ice in a quart bag is ok.

Here is the response.....

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort!

We are so happy to hear you are planning a vacation with us! We appreciate and understand your request to make your vacation as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.

You will be happy to know as long as the cubes are contained in bags like you described that will be perfectly fine. Right now we do not have the ability to freeze the reusable products.

Coolers (smaller than 24" x 15 " x 18 " (61 cm x 38 cm x 46 cm)) that will fit into Theme Park lockers are allowed. Coolers will be inspected for glass and alcoholic beverages, which are not permitted. In order to improve Guest flow, ease congestion and streamline the bag-check and entry processes, loose and dry ice is not permitted in our Theme Parks. Reusable ice packs are recommended.

Please be advised that this is a general policy only. Security personnel will evaluate each cooler individually, and there may be instances when even a small cooler will be denied.

If you have any other questions or challenges, please do not hesitate to contact us by calling us at 407-W-DISNEY (407-934-7639) or by chatting with us in the Help Center of the Walt Disney World® website (only available on the US site). Cast Members will be happy to assist you further.

So Disney confirms ice in ziploc bags are allowed? Would still like to hear first hand accounts . Proper training of CM's and consistency in rule enforcement doesn't seem to happen there.

Really? You don't get it?? Would you like someone's hands handling the ice you get for your drinks? Or, the container held by unsanitary hands touching ice you use for your drinks? If so, think you are the first person I've known to say it's ok to put hands/containers in public ice machines. And, yes, it is gross and unsanitary!

And, yes, even using the bag and bucket provided in room - only inside of bag is deemed clean enough for ice anyway.

Not specifically addressing your question but one suggestion is to put the lactaid in a thermos with 3-4 pieces of ice and head out. When DD was 3 milk was the ONLY thing she would drink and a few pieces of ice in one of these stayed cold for us all day at home ore at the park (we were able to refill since it was milk but if you needed more bring 2?)

Probably easier then carting along a cooler just be sure to bring a sponge or something to clean them with.

https://smile.amazon.com/Thermos-Fu...ds&qid=1554059040&s=gateway&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1

My suggestion to you would be to take your ice packs, place in a clean plastic bag with no printing or dyes and bury them in the on floor ice machine's ice bed. Write your room # and length of stay on paper and place in bag. Inform the H/K staff what you have done and tip ahead of time (one of the few times I'd tip in advance).

Would this be allowed - doesn't seem very sanitary for users of the ice.
(if I'm understanding your meaning here)

I agree with you. Who wants to use ice that any number of other people have been elbow deep digging thru? Some people actually use that ice in their beverages. Glad that is not an option in a Disney resort.

at the small park I work at we would have to throw pan of ice out as soon as found and yes we have to use pans when ice machine runs out which happens a lot during hot spells

Really? You don't get it?? Would you like someone's hands handling the ice you get for your drinks? Or, the container held by unsanitary hands touching ice you use for your drinks? If so, think you are the first person I've known to say it's ok to put hands/containers in public ice machines. And, yes, it is gross and unsanitary!

Sure if they are using food gloves which are required in my locale by anyone handling the vast majority of comestibles; sorry I didn't include that step but on my end it's repeating the obvious. I should have known and taken into account that not all jurisdictions throughout the country have the same standards.

The ice pack thing is crazy to me there seems to be so many people who really need them. Our sons med has to kept cold. We tried the frozen water bottle it works for awhile but in florida heat it was defrosted quicker than I wanted. According to them they will give me free ice if I ask, so I guess take ziplocks and get them refilled during the day.
Glad I'm not storing milk anymore what a hassle.

I really doubt “so many need them” statement.

I travel with a Type 1 Diabetic kid and a kid with 8 food allergies including peanuts. We’ve never used a cooler. We have used a Frio to keep insulin and epipens at the right temperature.

Exactly - open ice bins and people digging around = diarrhea outbreaks.

We traveled with my in laws, they needed medication in the middle of our day. We took a soft sided cooler/ice packs/ice and had no issue but the ice did melt. On our second trip with them my husband took his small Stanley thermos(metal & ugly)and put some ice in it with the medication on top. It has a wide mouth and the medicine was easily retrieved. After our very long day at MK in early September the ice did not melt and the medicine was cold. We friends who have borrowed it for the same reason(in June)and have had the same results. My only suggestion for people who need something cool for a medical reason is invest in an expensive thermos or cooler. They are usually found at a sports store. It really makes a world of difference.
As a family part of the excitement of WDW is trying food and snacks that we don't get to eat on a normal basis. I've never understood families who pack meals with them to eat in the park. I understand a lot of the reason is economical however Disney meals are huge. We share table service and snacks and for our family of six we have never had to buy six of anything. I do remember a year that our oldest would only drink a certain brand of bottled water. We had no issue with this but she had to carry and be responsible for it. After the second day she decided that the water sold in Disney was ok. Ice machines are for public use and the ice should be handled as little as possible. I'm sorry but using it a personal freezer is a big NO. If I saw a cooler buried in an ice machine in todays world I would have to bring it to someones attention.

Sure if they are using food gloves which are required in my locale by anyone handling the vast majority of comestibles; sorry I didn't include that step but on my end it's repeating the obvious. I should have known and taken into account that not all jurisdictions throughout the country have the same standards.

Really? Standard? Sanitary is sanitary no matter what part of the country you are from. As for the glove handlers that handle food in restaurants - another story completely - yes, they are required and acceptable in that circumstance. 'Not' your average person hiding items in public ice bins with their hands.

even that would not make a difference. it is the object even in bag that would make it be thrown out. this is a government rule not a park rule so would be the same just as no outside food able to be heated at the parks

We traveled with my in laws, they needed medication in the middle of our day. We took a soft sided cooler/ice packs/ice and had no issue but the ice did melt. On our second trip with them my husband took his small Stanley thermos(metal & ugly)and put some ice in it with the medication on top. It has a wide mouth and the medicine was easily retrieved. After our very long day at MK in early September the ice did not melt and the medicine was cold. We friends who have borrowed it for the same reason(in June)and have had the same results. My only suggestion for people who need something cool for a medical reason is invest in an expensive thermos or cooler. They are usually found at a sports store. It really makes a world of difference.

This is a great idea!!:thumbsup2 DH is an insulin dependent diabetic and we always travel with a soft sided cooler with ice(in baggies) for his meds. I'm worried even ice in baggies won't be allowed now. But the wide mouth thermos with ice sounds great! Hopefully they will allow ice in a thermos??

Really? Standard? Sanitary is sanitary no matter what part of the country you are from. As for the glove handlers that handle food in restaurants - another story completely - yes, they are required and acceptable in that circumstance. 'Not' your average person hiding items in public ice bins with their hands.

Obviously standard means one thing to one person and something else to another. Institutional and commercial standards can differ from residential although some people have "hacked"/incorporated things they learn at work to use at home.
There are people who wipe down all hard surfaces in their hotel room with Lysol wipes upon check in and do much the same on a airplane; that's their standard. I tent camp bringing food grade gloves and 2 chopping boards; that's my standard. I could well see a person w/ a compromised immune system or possibly life threatening allergies carrying food grade gloves as a norm but cannot speak from personal knowledge since no one I know intimately have those problems.

I must conclude by saying I wrote a long post on different ways for holding the cold and am glad that only one of them doesn't meet with your approval.

even that would not make a difference. it is the object even in bag that would make it be thrown out. this is a government rule not a park rule so would be the same just as no outside food able to be heated at the parks
Thank you for updating me on current county/municipality laws. Been decades since I "slaved" in front line jobs within the restaurant business :)

But won't that will only make the freezer packs cold and not freeze them?

Add some rock salt like you use in an ice cream maker to make a "colder than water" water bath for the ice pack, which could freeze it. Someone needs to try this science experiment!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter