• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ice Packs - How to Keep Cold

Nobody can report back as the new rules haven't gone into effect yet. From my understanding, any and all loose ice is banned.

Nobody can report back as the new rules haven't gone into effect yet. From my understanding, any and all loose ice is banned.
I thought they went into effect yesterday? Also, I just read a different post where someone called guest services and they said ice in a ziplock bag is ok.

So, some people are saying it’s ok to put ice in ziplock baggies and others say no. Can someone report back? We are going in 16 days and planned to use baggies with ice. Just want to be prepared. TIA!

I thought they went into effect yesterday? Also, I just read a different post where someone called guest services and they said ice in a ziplock bag is ok.
Simple solution.

Ensure your perishables are as cold as you can possibly get them before packing in insulated bag that has also been chilled. Line items with reusable ice packs.
Done and no concerns about Ziploc bags filled before or after security check. As @Klayfish noted up thread you can get gel packs for free when perishable items/meds are mailed to you. I store mine as well as blue packs in the chest freezer so I know where they are.

Simple solution.

Ensure your perishables are as cold as you can possibly get them before packing in insulated bag that has also been chilled. Line items with reusable ice packs.
Done and no concerns about Ziploc bags filled before or after security check. As @Klayfish noted up thread you can get gel packs for free when perishable items/meds are mailed to you. I store mine as well as blue packs in the chest freezer so I know where they are.

But how does one refreeze them for use at disney?

At far as I know, the only rooms in disney that have freezers are the larger DVC villas.

Hey maybe those villa owners can start a side business. "will refreezer your ice packs. $2 for one or 3 for $5, in by 9 pm out by 7 am."

At far as I know, the only rooms in disney that have freezers are the larger DVC villas.

Hey maybe those villa owners can start a side business. "will refreezer your ice packs. $2 for one or 3 for $5, in by 9 pm out by 7 am."
Exactly!! It wasn’t an issue for me last year when I had a 1 bedroom at BLT with full fridge and freezer but this year we are staying in a studio.

Exactly!! It wasn’t an issue for me last year when I had a 1 bedroom at BLT with full fridge and freezer but this year we are staying in a studio.

Use the ice bucket plastic bag, put it inside, fill it up with ice.

I seem to recall that the studios all had a kitchenette with a separate sink. You can also fill that up with ice and put the freezer packs in there. I know when we were waiting for our BLT fridge to cool down (it had been shut off), I put our milk and other perishable items into a sink load of ice. Before we went to sleep, we moved those items into the now-cool fridge (but not as cold as we would have liked it). The ice took forever to melt (this was in May 2017).

Use the ice bucket plastic bag, put it inside, fill it up with ice.

I seem to recall that the studios all had a kitchenette with a separate sink. You can also fill that up with ice and put the freezer packs in there. I know when we were waiting for our BLT fridge to cool down (it had been shut off), I put our milk and other perishable items into a sink load of ice. Before we went to sleep, we moved those items into the now-cool fridge (but not as cold as we would have liked it). The ice took forever to melt (this was in May 2017).

But won't that will only make the freezer packs cold and not freeze them?

I would just GE prepared with extra ziploc baggies in case security makes you dump the ice before entering the park. If need be, go to a CS location for a few cups of ice to refill. But i’d try to pack as much non-perishables as possible so you haven’t lost a whole meal if something doesn't stay chilled.

Enjoy your vacation!

:D

The way I see it if you are just bringing chilled food into the parks on a daily basis during your stay AND staying on premises w/o a freezer, this is just a mild annoyance that means you make your food in advance, get it as cold as possible and bring it to the park where you can still grab ice for your drinks once you past park security. Heck if you want to walk with an empty Ziploc bag that you fill with ice cubes in the park you can but remember if you have park hoppers you'll have to empty at every park entrance.

The guests with the bigger problem in my eyes is the ones who carry certain meds or food stuffs that must be maintained at a specific temperature. Disney can resolve this problem by putting mini fridges w/ ice tray freezers in the rooms. There are some other options I wrote in a post up thread but if everyone is burying their goods in the ice machine I can see problems in the making.

:D

The way I see it if you are just bringing chilled food into the parks on a daily basis during your stay AND staying on premises w/o a freezer, this is just a mild annoyance that means you make your food in advance, get it as cold as possible and bring it to the park where you can still grab ice for your drinks once you past park security. Heck if you want to walk with an empty Ziploc bag that you fill with ice cubes in the park you can but remember if you have park hoppers you'll have to empty at every park entrance.

The guests with the bigger problem in my eyes is the ones who carry certain meds or food stuffs that must be maintained at a specific temperature. Disney can resolve this problem by putting mini fridges w/ ice tray freezers in the rooms. There are some other options I wrote in a post up thread but if everyone is burying their goods in the ice machine I can see problems in the making.

Last few years we have only stayed at DVC studios and the ice machines in those resorts are one that have a chute that spits out ice. There is no big bin of ice. Do other resorts have bins of ice that you reach into with a scoop?

Last few years we have only stayed at DVC studios and the ice machines in those resorts are one that have a chute that spits out ice. There is no big bin of ice. Do other resorts have bins of ice that you reach into with a scoop?
Errrr I just asked the man who's job it is to go the the ice machine @ WDW and he said " You know if you ever went to the machine that it just spurts out ice on demand". Sooo I said I could arrange for him to stay at home and take out the garbage instead but but I digress...oops.
Up shot? You're right- no ice bins......sigh.

I wrote to disney.......
Question about the new ice rule. What does it mean by "no loose ice"? Can you have ice in a quart size ziplock bag inside a cooler? The recommendation of using reusable freezer packs......most people staying on site have no way to freeze the packs.

Here is the answer......
Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort!

Coolers smaller than 24" length x 15" width x 18" height, with or without wheels, are allowed in the Disney Water Parks. The coolers will be inspected for glass and alcoholic beverages, which are not permitted. In order to improve Guest flow, ease congestion and streamline the bag-check and entry processes, loose and dry ice is not permitted in our Theme Parks. Reusable ice packs are recommended.

Storage areas are not provided.

So no real answer. Maybe someone will get a different (and better) answer. I'm not sure why the CM mentioned the water parks alone.

I wrote back to disney saying they really didn't answer my questions of how to freeze the pack or if ice in a quart bag is ok.

Here is the response.....

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort!

We are so happy to hear you are planning a vacation with us! We appreciate and understand your request to make your vacation as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.

You will be happy to know as long as the cubes are contained in bags like you described that will be perfectly fine. Right now we do not have the ability to freeze the reusable products.

Coolers (smaller than 24" x 15 " x 18 " (61 cm x 38 cm x 46 cm)) that will fit into Theme Park lockers are allowed. Coolers will be inspected for glass and alcoholic beverages, which are not permitted. In order to improve Guest flow, ease congestion and streamline the bag-check and entry processes, loose and dry ice is not permitted in our Theme Parks. Reusable ice packs are recommended.

Please be advised that this is a general policy only. Security personnel will evaluate each cooler individually, and there may be instances when even a small cooler will be denied.

If you have any other questions or challenges, please do not hesitate to contact us by calling us at 407-W-DISNEY (407-934-7639) or by chatting with us in the Help Center of the Walt Disney World® website (only available on the US site). Cast Members will be happy to assist you further.

Last edited:
Do you really need to bring Lactaid around the park with you? I just fill up a couple of insulated bottles with ice and water and that’s what they drink. If we stop for food they can have apple juice. I’d be nervous about bringing milk around all day when it’s 80 degrees out. I’d be nervous that no solution will really consistently keep milk out of the danger zone.

@jo-jo I guess we'll see what happens when it's actually in full force. Everyone seems so in a tizzy over stroller wagons, nobody has provided any on the ground experience for the ice thing even though the ice rule was in effect yesterday.

Do you really need to bring Lactaid around the park with you? I just fill up a couple of insulated bottles with ice and water and that’s what they drink. If we stop for food they can have apple juice. I’d be nervous about bringing milk around all day when it’s 80 degrees out. I’d be nervous that no solution will really consistently keep milk out of the danger zone.
Have you ever used a neoprene bottle cooler? Thing of beauty even for dairy products. Takes up little space and maintains a consistent temperature when properly prepped.

My suggestion to you would be to take your ice packs, place in a clean plastic bag with no printing or dyes and bury them in the on floor ice machine's ice bed. Write your room # and length of stay on paper and place in bag. Inform the H/K staff what you have done and tip ahead of time (one of the few times I'd tip in advance).

Would this be allowed - doesn't seem very sanitary for users of the ice.
(if I'm understanding your meaning here)

Just a bit of a different view: we have quite a few trips under our belt with a peanut/ egg allergy kid. He’s older now but we did trips when he was quite little too. WDW is amazing at feeding allergy kids. Peanuts, milk and eggs are your typical allergies and easy to accommodate. You can easily keep his milk in the Resort room and let him have milk in the morning and at bedtime and give him water or other drinks in the park. You could easily carry simple, shelf stable snacks to fill in during the day.

Would this be allowed - doesn't seem very sanitary for users of the ice.
(if I'm understanding your meaning here)
The question is moot as the current resort ice makers do not have bins of ice. I do like an idea another poster put forth of placing items in the room's kitchen sink filled w/ ice cubes but don't know if that would be cold enough to refreeze a reusable ice pack.

Just a bit of a different view: we have quite a few trips under our belt with a peanut/ egg allergy kid. He’s older now but we did trips when he was quite little too. WDW is amazing at feeding allergy kids. Peanuts, milk and eggs are your typical allergies and easy to accommodate. You can easily keep his milk in the Resort room and let him have milk in the morning and at bedtime and give him water or other drinks in the park. You could easily carry simple, shelf stable snacks to fill in during the day.

Yes, this is true. My brother’s daughter is allergic to dairy, tree nuts, unbaked egg, and sesame. They did 1 day in Magic Kingdom and she was able to be accommodated at meals. My sister in law raved about how great they were with the allergies and wishes every place could be like Disney!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter