• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ice Packs - How to Keep Cold

Do the resorts still have ice machines? I took my kids last year, but I have no idea because we had no need for ice. I don't remember going into the little vending area at the hotel for anything either. But even if the resorts no longer have ice machines, you can fill a freezer bag with ice at your resort's food area, take it to your rom and keep your ice packs in it in the fridge overnight. Grab some salt packets too and you can make your ice even colder--fun with chemistry!

Yes, this! Add salt, it will definitely help!

Yes, this! Add salt, it will definitely help!
I've always heard of this method via camping forums but will admit I've never tried it. Is kosher salt an acceptable substitution for rock salt? I worry that the rock salt readily available in my area (it's used to keep sidewalks from freezing) isn't food grade.

Kosher salt works, it's just not as cost effective (and you need a lot of salt). We use this in our ice cream maker:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Morton-Ice-Cream-Salt-4-LB-Box/10318347

This will definitely get it below freezing for freshwater ice (approximately 28 vs 32 degrees). That seems like a lot of extra effort for 4 degrees or so. That said it also sounds like a good science experiment. Maybe one night with just ice and another night with the saltwater ice bath... really we’d need a few datapoints to make this a good epxeriment. So who wants to spend the next week testing this out! :rotfl:

Kosher salt works, it's just not as cost effective (and you need a lot of salt). We use this in our ice cream maker:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Morton-Ice-Cream-Salt-4-LB-Box/10318347

Ice cream salt is harder for me to find in NYC but kosher salt is much cheaper than the price I saw at Walmart's site so I'll give it a try with the kosher version.
We may or may not go camping in the Indian Lake area of NYS this summer; depends on somebody's report card. She gave up on Disney this summer for an opportunity to camp again soooo hope she makes it;).

Add some rock salt like you use in an ice cream maker to make a "colder than water" water bath for the ice pack, which could freeze it. Someone needs to try this science experiment!
it is colder but not enough to freeze packs as it takes a few hours/over night to refreeze them. the slat when making ice cream does not stop the ice from melting just makes the water colder. might feel frozen but most likely would not last in hot weather

This will definitely get it below freezing for freshwater ice (approximately 28 vs 32 degrees). That seems like a lot of extra effort for 4 degrees or so. That said it also sounds like a good science experiment. Maybe one night with just ice and another night with the saltwater ice bath... really we’d need a few datapoints to make this a good epxeriment. So who wants to spend the next week testing this out! :rotfl:
tired at home but mine was already frozen as we keep them that way. pack was almost melted in morning. might have lasted 30 minutes more. do not know how this would refreeze one if it could not keep one frozen overnight

tired at home but mine was already frozen as we keep them that way. pack was almost melted in morning. might have lasted 30 minutes more. do not know how this would refreeze one if it could not keep one frozen overnight

Glad to see someone tested this out! Even if it wasn't frozen solid, I still think it would make it colder than the resort fridge.

That’s pretty much what I was thinking, that you could get the ice pack cold but not frozen solid... so to be clear you tried a salt ice water bath (mostly ice, a small amount of salt water) and the ice packs were melted by morning? If so those are not promising results.

I have used mini fridges in the past to freeze water bottles and ice packs, but it really depends on the fridge and results can vary a lot...

This is a great idea!!:thumbsup2 DH is an insulin dependent diabetic and we always travel with a soft sided cooler with ice(in baggies) for his meds. I'm worried even ice in baggies won't be allowed now. But the wide mouth thermos with ice sounds great! Hopefully they will allow ice in a thermos??
I was a little surprised when dh suggested it. His thermos is OLD and UGLY, I believe he's had it over twenty years and it has been used hard. I was a little surprised but there was little visible water at the bottom, same results for our friends.(We were at the park for opening and stayed til fireworks) I think as far as a thermos goes you have to invest in an expensive one. I'm not sure about the ice but you could easily fill a ziplock and stick it in the bottom as long as you have a wide mouth. Have a great trip.

I e-mailed Disney to ask about the "loose ice" vs ice contained in a ziploc bag. I got a response today. I'll share it with you:

Chris Drake (Disney)

Apr 6, 7:27 AM EDT

Dear Patty,

Thank you for contacting us regarding updates to our prohibited items policy at the Walt Disney World Resort.

Our Disney Parks Blog recently shared more details on our Resort's rule updates, available HERE, which I recommend reviewing if you have not had a chance to do so already. I These rule updates are intended to provide a more enjoyable experience for everyone who visits by, among other things, easing Guest flow and reducing congestion. I do appreciate and understand how these changes may impact your experience within our Theme Parks.

Please know that you are still permitted to bring in ice in resealable bags, such as Ziploc bags. However, bags of ice that you purchase from stores will not be permitted. This policy update is now in effect across all Theme Parks at the Walt Disney World Resort.

Patty, I hope this information finds you well.

Chris Drake
Guest Experience Services
Walt Disney World Resort

I plan to print this out and have available if security tells us ice in baggies is prohibited.

I wouldn't bother bring any e-mail with you to try and prove a point. It isn't as if random security person will know who Chris Drake is, or know that you didn't fake the e-mail.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter