ID for Alcohol New Policy

If they came into our room there is a lot easier money to be made by stealing the 2 MacBooks and 3 iPads that most likely would be on the table than trying to open the safe to steal my passport ;)

:rotfl2: I'm with you on that! The point I was trying to make was that leaving your passport or anything of value in the room has it's risks too. Besides, if I lost my passport carrying it around with me, being stuck in the US wouldn't be such a bad thing :rotfl:

in all the times we have been to Orlando we have never lost a bag and have absolutely no problems carrying a passport about with us. We nearly always do if we have travellers chq's with us. Yes it could happen that we lose a bag/passport but its seems unlikely. If we did then yes it would cause hassle but hey again its unlikely to happen and we have insurance if it did. We'll carry on taking the low risk. Passports are so small it has no impact on us carrying it and it just goes very easily into a zip lock bag so it doesn't get wet..simple! Its just not such a big deal to take it with us everywhere! What do you all do with your camera's, mobs, ipads that you take out with you, do you not take them just in case you lose them or they get damaged or wet? How often has that happened? Its state law and something that WDW is obviously clamping down on..what can you do about it other then live with it.:confused3

Hmm I've just got done reading this thread and first of all the whole thing is just ridiculous IMHO.

I want to be sure I have all the facts:

It is Florida State Law that one carried round their passport with them at all times?

It is Florida State Law that when (when being the key word here)asked to produce ID for alcohol if you do not have a Valid US driving License or ID card you have to produce your passport?

Disney do not operate a policy of their own like other Retailers in Florida and always ask for ID from customers requesting to buy alcohol regardless of how old they look? We know this to be true just from the numbers on here who do not get asked - it's hit and miss and as and when Disney Cast Members feel the need to ask, right?

It is alleged that going forward Disney are now complying with State Law and refusing to accept a UK issued Driving License as a form of ID - as an "Alien" one has to show their passport? If it is State Law then why is it that any other place so far that I have visited and purchased alcohol from have never requested to see my Passport but have always accepted my UK Drivers License?

However it is also alleged that if enough "alien" guests complain Disney may rethink their stance on this? Why would they do that if the reason they are implementing is to comply with FL state law?

I personally don't really go out without a little handbag of some description as long as it is cute (after all I have a rep to protect) I don't ever get blinding drunk that I have no clue what I've done with my belongings and I have never lost or had anything stolen whilst holidaying in Orlando. However I'm just one of those paranoids that wouldn't want to take my passport out with me everywhere.

That said I do respect US law and I don't think there is ever any mileage in complaining about it, it is what it is and America stands proud of their laws - good for them, we're the same and I think everyone should respect the laws, culture and ways of the Country they are visiting.

I need my Grey Goose Martini, Avocado Margarita and Rosa Regale therefore I would be totally happy to comply with this "new" yet to be verified Disney policy IF Disney Cast Members all follow the same rules and that there is consistency in that they all refuse to serve alcohol unless we fes up our passports but if I see one person get served alcohol by another Cast Member on the basis that they just showed their UK Driving License well let me clear Disney Co. I shall be coming after you ... well maybe :rotfl2:

But seriously it's the inconsistency that irks me so.... if all CM's treated all guests the same then I accept it but clearly they don't. I'll be happier when I see more and more people say that they had to show passports.

I'm also curious to know if Canadians will also have to follow suit?

I'd also be interested to know what the top honcho at FL Tourism thinks - who was it again who disputed the whole International Drivers Permit fiasco, someone give me his name and I'll deffo write to him.

I tried a colour photocopy that was laminated at the Comedy Warehouse :sad1: years ago, 2007 or 2008, and it wasn't accepted.

Yes I thought that might be the case. I have taken mine out in the past just made sure we kept it as safe as we could.

Hmm I've just got done reading this thread and first of all the whole thing is just ridiculous IMHO.

I want to be sure I have all the facts:

It is Florida State Law that one carried round their passport with them at all times?

It is Florida State Law that when (when being the key word here)asked to produce ID for alcohol if you do not have a Valid US driving License or ID card you have to produce your passport?

Disney do not operate a policy of their own like other Retailers in Florida and always ask for ID from customers requesting to buy alcohol regardless of how old they look? We know this to be true just from the numbers on here who do not get asked - it's hit and miss and as and when Disney Cast Members feel the need to ask, right?

It is alleged that going forward Disney are now complying with State Law and refusing to accept a UK issued Driving License as a form of ID - as an "Alien" one has to show their passport? If it is State Law then why is it that any other place so far that I have visited and purchased alcohol from have never requested to see my Passport but have always accepted my UK Drivers License?

However it is also alleged that if enough "alien" guests complain Disney may rethink their stance on this? Why would they do that if the reason they are implementing is to comply with FL state law?

I personally don't really go out without a little handbag of some description as long as it is cute (after all I have a rep to protect) I don't ever get blinding drunk that I have no clue what I've done with my belongings and I have never lost or had anything stolen whilst holidaying in Orlando. However I'm just one of those paranoids that wouldn't want to take my passport out with me everywhere.

That said I do respect US law and I don't think there is ever any mileage in complaining about it, it is what it is and America stands proud of their laws - good for them, we're the same and I think everyone should respect the laws, culture and ways of the Country they are visiting.

I need my Grey Goose Martini, Avocado Margarita and Rosa Regale therefore I would be totally happy to comply with this "new" yet to be verified Disney policy IF Disney Cast Members all follow the same rules and that there is consistency in that they all refuse to serve alcohol unless we fes up our passports but if I see one person get served alcohol by another Cast Member on the basis that they just showed their UK Driving License well let me clear Disney Co. I shall be coming after you ... well maybe :rotfl2:

But seriously it's the inconsistency that irks me so.... if all CM's treated all guests the same then I accept it but clearly they don't. I'll be happier when I see more and more people say that they had to show passports.

I'm also curious to know if Canadians will also have to follow suit?

I'd also be interested to know what the top honcho at FL Tourism thinks - who was it again who disputed the whole International Drivers Permit fiasco, someone give me his name and I'll deffo write to him.

It has always been Florida state law that only a valid US driver Licence (along with the other from my above post). Why have they accepted it until now? Easier for them to accepted it, less chance you are part of a sting from the ATF to fine those who don't ask. Why is being asked no consistent? Staff turnover, your looks, or just they were to busy it ask.

It is not just "Alien's" - I am a American with only a UK Licence, so I would have to carry mine as well. Most likely at 40, I would not get asked anyway.

If it is Florida State law that ONLY US issued driving license's are acceptable forms of ID for the purchase of alcohol and that if you are an ''alien'' then the ONLY form of acceptable ID BY LAW is that of a passport, then we are all in agreement that Disney and in fact every other establishment that has/is/ever was accepting a UK issued driving license for the purchase of alcohol has been blatantly breaking said law. I just don't understand how that could of happened and/or how it still is happening.
In Target for example, our supermarket of choice, when buying alcohol the cashier must ID everyone regardless of age. She scans a US driving license into the till and it lets her continue. For us as UK Driving license holders, each and every time a manager has to be called, come to the till to over ride the system, enter my date of birth manually and therefore continue with the purchase. Are we saying that Target are breaking Florida State law by doing this and having this system in place?
I'm sorry I just can't wrap my head around why if this were the case, the police would not have acted on this. Which therefore leads me to have to believe that a UK Goverment Issued Photo ID is more than suffice and this is in fact a Disney only policy. I am still awaiting a reply from Disney on this matter.

It has always been Florida state law that only a valid US driver Licence (along with the other from my above post). Why have they accepted it until now? Easier for them to accepted it, less chance you are part of a sting from the ATF to fine those who don't ask. Why is being asked no consistent? Staff turnover, your looks, or just they were to busy it ask.

It is not just "Alien's" - I am a American with only a UK Licence, so I would have to carry mine as well. Most likely at 40, I would not get asked anyway.

I've actually been trying to do a search on this? Where is it State Law cited? I just want to be sure I have my ducks in a row before I complain LOL

Florida State
Acceptable Forms of ID: Acceptable Forms of ID:
An valid driver's license containing a picture, and date of birth, issued by any state or United States Territory.
A state issued ID
Military identification card
Valid Passport

You'll be fine then as an American wouldn't you have your State issued ID that you can use instead of a DL or don't all States issue these as standard?

Also I'd just like to make the point that whilst something can be Florida State Law that doesn't mean there aren't exceptions imposed on said law.

For example, it is Florida State Law that alcohol of any kind is not sold by stores on Sundays. However there are some exceptions to this law and some cities/counties in Florida are allowed to. I know Orlando is one as I have purchased on a Sunday but I was told it was only allowed after 9am. I believe Miami-Dade is another that allows it.

So whilst the State Law maybe one thing, unless we get hold someone that knows the inside out of this or law enforcement in Orlando we won't know if there is some kind of exception to the law in place.

I would guess that it has not been enforced because tourism is such a huge money maker so they don't want to piss off a lot of tourists and lose money esp tips, also asking for ID does not always happen to everyone so if they are on the fence about you looking young or not and you produce a driving license then they have probably thought its OK. Why the change now, who knows, maybe something has happended recently, maybe Disney have been fined.

I would guess that it has not been enforced because tourism is such a huge money maker so they don't want to piss off a lot of tourists and lose money esp tips, also asking for ID does not always happen to everyone so if they are on the fence about you looking young or not and you produce a driving license then they have probably thought its OK. Why the change now, who knows, maybe something has happended recently, maybe Disney have been fined.

Oh yeah it would certainly be the style to change something on the basis that something else has happened.

Right and again no problem with the spot check on asking for ID they are certainly within their rights to do so I just want to be sure that every Disney employee knows what is the acceptable form of ID e.g. if these rumours are true and verified a passport, and that they all ask for the same form of ID of a guest. So far the only thing that all CMs are consistent on is no photocopy, the inconsistency is passport or EU/UK Country issued Drivers License!

I did used to take my passport out before the UK even had photo card licenses so I can do it again, I've just got used to using just the Driving License photo ID.

If it is Florida State law that ONLY US issued driving license's are acceptable forms of ID for the purchase of alcohol and that if you are an ''alien'' then the ONLY form of acceptable ID BY LAW is that of a passport, then we are all in agreement that Disney and in fact every other establishment that has/is/ever was accepting a UK issued driving license for the purchase of alcohol has been blatantly breaking said law. I just don't understand how that could of happened and/or how it still is happening.
In Target for example, our supermarket of choice, when buying alcohol the cashier must ID everyone regardless of age. She scans a US driving license into the till and it lets her continue. For us as UK Driving license holders, each and every time a manager has to be called, come to the till to over ride the system, enter my date of birth manually and therefore continue with the purchase. Are we saying that Target are breaking Florida State law by doing this and having this system in place?
I'm sorry I just can't wrap my head around why if this were the case, the police would not have acted on this. Which therefore leads me to have to believe that a UK Goverment Issued Photo ID is more than suffice and this is in fact a Disney only policy. I am still awaiting a reply from Disney on this matter.

In the UK our card license is only valid with our counterpart license. On our rental agreements they tell you to bring both with you. I always do and the people at the counter, never ever ask to see the paper one. But the company knows my license is only valid when used together as they told me to bring it with me.

Underage drinking is taken very seriously, as is buying for underage. 21 seems very old to those that have been able to buy alcohol for 4 years. It is not to punish you or make you have to carry a passport, rather to in force how serious it is taken.

As for Target, the manager by coming over and over riding your transaction, they (the manager) is taking on full responsibility that you are legally of age to buy. They could and some will ask for a passport.

Fantasia Sam

Sorry I really don't know how to quote only a few lines from a post. So first here tells you accepted ID's.
http://www.tipsalcohol.com/florida-alcohol-laws.html

No I do not have a state ID. Normally they are for people who do not drive. I moved here in 2004 and my NJ state License expired (they are only good for 4 years). Expired make it not valid.

It really is a hit or miss to if you would be asked. As the OP said he was recognised and they still asked him days later.

In the UK our card license is only valid with our counterpart license. On our rental agreements they tell you to bring both with you. I always do and the people at the counter, never ever ask to see the paper one. But the company knows my license is only valid when used together as they told me to bring it with me.

Underage drinking is taken very seriously, as is buying for underage. 21 seems very old to those that have been able to buy alcohol for 4 years. It is not to punish you or make you have to carry a passport, rather to in force how serious it is taken.

As for Target, the manager by coming over and over riding your transaction, they (the manager) is taking on full responsibility that you are legally of age to buy. They could and some will ask for a passport.

I don't see the relevance about hiring a car.

I'm not quering the REASON for being ID'd and have alsolutely NO problems with being asked for ID and providing it. If it has to be a passport then so be it. My entire post you quoted was about every bar/restaurant/liquor store/grocery store and on and on breaking the law by accepting my UK Driving License as ID if the law is ONLY passports are acceptable.

With ref to Target, if the manager is taking the responsibilty then they themselves are breaking the law? This was my entire point.

Offical reply from Disney:-

Thank you for your patience while we reviewed your recent correspondence.

Again, we truly appreciate your inquiry regarding the current policy on International Guests needing to provide a Passport as a form of valid ID to purchase adult beverages across our Property. After partnering with our Food and Beverages department, the following clarification was provided to send to you. Cast Members are to ask for a Passport when carding for adult beverage consumption. This is due to our Cast Members not being familiar enough with other forms of International IDs to utilize them in determining if someone is of legal drinking age.

Thank you again for your email and for your inquiry. We look forward to any future opportunity to entertain you and your family at our Resort!

Sincerely,

Ramey Stinson

Guest Experience Services

Walt Disney World Resort

407-560-3283

His email address is
WDW.Guest.Communications@disneyworld.com

I would presume this is fine to send enquires/complaints to him seeing as he is in customer services. He also encouraged me to call with any further needs.

Offical reply from Disney:-

Thank you for your patience while we reviewed your recent correspondence.

Again, we truly appreciate your inquiry regarding the current policy on International Guests needing to provide a Passport as a form of valid ID to purchase adult beverages across our Property. After partnering with our Food and Beverages department, the following clarification was provided to send to you. Cast Members are to ask for a Passport when carding for adult beverage consumption. This is due to our Cast Members not being familiar enough with other forms of International IDs to utilize them in determining if someone is of legal drinking age.

Thank you again for your email and for your inquiry. We look forward to any future opportunity to entertain you and your family at our Resort!

Sincerely,

Ramey Stinson

Guest Experience Services

Walt Disney World Resort

407-560-3283

His email address is
WDW.Guest.Communications@disneyworld.com

I would presume this is fine to send enquires/complaints to him seeing as he is in customer services. He also encouraged me to call with any further needs.

Meh, sounds like a lack of common sense to me. I don't mind being IDd at almost 30, but I would object if they refused my licence on the grounds they couldn't tell my age. IMO there's a huge gap between the way a 20 year old and a 30 year old looks (particularly when I have 4 kids who have aged me considerably lol!)

Thanks for the update though. Passport it is...

I don't see the relevance about hiring a car.

I'm not quering the REASON for being ID'd and have alsolutely NO problems with being asked for ID and providing it. If it has to be a passport then so be it. My entire post you quoted was about every bar/restaurant/liquor store/grocery store and on and on breaking the law by accepting my UK Driving License as ID if the law is ONLY passports are acceptable.

With ref to Target, if the manager is taking the responsibilty then they themselves are breaking the law? This was my entire point.

I think I see the misunderstanding. The law is do not serve underage people, and do not serve those buying for underage people.
How do we prove someones age? By these recognised valid Id's, in previous post. They DO NOT have to card you, it is the server discretion. In less it is their company policy. Like Sainsbury's policy is to card if you look younger then 25. But it not UK law, to card all under 25 year olds.

Sorry about the confusion over the rental cars, my point was about the company's policy vs what the front in the house staff enforce.

I see Disney replied so I guess that is that.

In all fairness on my last trip to WDW I was 27 but I cannot remember when the last time was that I even got asked for ID.

Clearly I should be more concerned about buying an anti ageing cream than carrying my passport with me :)

Thanks Nemmie for posting.

My grievance now will be consistency IF I am asked to prove my age - they better want my passport now that I take it out with me otherwise I can tell you now I am going to be a very unhappy bunny!

Fantasia Sam

No I do not have a state ID. Normally they are for people who do not drive. I moved here in 2004 and my NJ state License expired (they are only good for 4 years). Expired make it not valid.

Oh that's a shame - you'd think you'd get some perks being a resident now :(

I think I see the misunderstanding. The law is do not serve underage people, and do not serve those buying for underage people.
How do we prove someones age? By these recognised valid Id's, in previous post. They DO NOT have to card you, it is the server discretion. In less it is their company policy. Like Sainsbury's policy is to card if you look younger then 25. But it not UK law, to card all under 25 year olds.

Sorry about the confusion over the rental cars, my point was about the company's policy vs what the front in the house staff enforce.

I see Disney replied so I guess that is that.

I'm with you now, takes me a while sometimes ;)

I have logged a complaint with Disney and I'll "vote with my feet" in that I won't be taking my passport out with me. Here begin the "if's" lol. IF I get carded and IF the CM doesn't accept my driving license which I will still have on me at all times then I won't be buying an alcoholic beverage. I'm pretty sure it will soon get Disney's attention if sales start dropping off and they figure this might have something to do with it.
The funny thing is I'm not a big drinker. However I DO like a drink around the world on the odd occasion and I love Food and Wine festival so that will be me not drinking if it effects me. It's not the end of the world but it's a little inconvenient for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter