ID for Alcohol New Policy

Thanks Nemmie for posting.

My grievance now will be consistency IF I am asked to prove my age - they better want my passport now that I take it out with me otherwise I can tell you now I am going to be a very unhappy bunny!

I could not agree more. Knowing my luck if I did ever take my passport out I would never get carded or the CM would accept my driving license. Actually no, knowing my luck I'd take it out and it would get stolen :rolleyes:

In all fairness on my last trip to WDW I was 27 but I cannot remember when the last time was that I even got asked for ID.

Clearly I should be more concerned about buying an anti ageing cream than carrying my passport with me :)

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I find people's varying attitudes on this topic really interesting. While I'm obviously careful with it, I'm pretty relaxed about carrying my passport. It's actually a permanent feature in my bag as I get asked for ID so often!

I find people's varying attitudes on this topic really interesting. While I'm obviously careful with it, I'm pretty relaxed about carrying my passport. It's actually a permanent feature in my bag as I get asked for ID so often!

I'm finding it interesting too! I was of "I'm never walking around with it" thinking because I held a UK spousal Visa stamp in mine for AGES (I now have indefinite leave to remain, which is a drivers license type card) so losing my passport wouldn't be as a simple as getting an emergency document, it would be a nightmare. (and having had my passport stolen as it was sent off to the UK Home Office, then cancelled by the Canadian Consulate, thus cancelling my Visa...I can attest to what an immigration nightmare it was!) Now that I have my biometric card, which I can keep in a safe?...I might be a bit more open to carrying it around.

queendisney said:
blimey..I'd be so pleased if I was asked for ID

I got asked in WS when buying beer and I'm 38 (and look it!) He made my holiday! I didn't have any ID so I told the CM that I was pushing 40 and he let me off! So needed that beer! I've been boasting about getting ID'd ever since!

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

I'm finding it interesting too! I was of "I'm never walking around with it" thinking because I held a UK spousal Visa stamp in mine for AGES (I now have indefinite leave to remain, which is a drivers license type card) so losing my passport wouldn't be as a simple as getting an emergency document, it would be a nightmare. (and having had my passport stolen as it was sent off to the UK Home Office, then cancelled by the Canadian Consulate, thus cancelling my Visa...I can attest to what an immigration nightmare it was!) Now that I have my biometric card, which I can keep in a safe?...I might be a bit more open to carrying it ar

My Indefinite leave to remain is on my visa, but I never got a card. Until your post I forgot that my visa is in my passport. Yes, I would sure hate to lose that.

Found this on another forum, Disney's response to another member

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort.

Guests age 21 and older may purchase alcoholic beverages with a valid
photo ID such as a State Driver's License, State or Government issued
ID with picture, Active Military ID or Passport at the following
locations (including both Walt Disney World and Operating Participant
locations):

All bars and lounges (including pool bars)
Beverage carts
Quick Service locations
Any outdoor food locations where alcohol is served
Epcot Food & Wine Festival kiosks
Catering bars
Stadium vending

Please note that if your Driver's license or desired use of
identification does not have photo and a date of birth notation as
standard parts of the form of the identification it will not be
acceptable when trying to purchase alcohol across the Disney property.

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact
us.

Sincerely,
Indiana Larsen
WDW Online Communications

This could just be inconsistency but I'm lead to think because of the paragraph explaining your photo and date of birth, that this might be a change to what they had previously replied.

Absolutely brilliant if so as

State or Government issued ID with picture

A UK Government issued photo card driving license falls in that catagory.

My Indefinite leave to remain is on my visa, but I never got a card. Until your post I forgot that my visa is in my passport. Yes, I would sure hate to lose that.

I think they started doing the biometric cards fairly recently (past 5 years or so). If the stamp in your passport is the only Immigration proof you have a right to live in the UK (outside of photocopies and whatnot obviously), the logistics of losing a passport would be awful!

Sorry if youve already covered this(just skimmed pages) but isnt our information eg name,DOB etc held on our Key to the world card?I just looked on my old one and in capitals it says ADULT.If not on the old card then surely this sort of info can be stored on the new wristband.This could all be sorted when checking in:confused3

Sorry if youve already covered this(just skimmed pages) but isnt our information eg name,DOB etc held on our Key to the world card?I just looked on my old one and in capitals it says ADULT.If not on the old card then surely this sort of info can be stored on the new wristband.This could all be sorted when checking in:confused3

But it doesn't have your photo on so could therefore be given to anyone to use.

Plus Adult in that sense is over 10's as that's how old you are to have to buy an adult park ticket which is what I assume that refers to.

Yep, thats just me thinking we're all honest and wouldnt swap cards to get a drink! When i get home i'll email guest relations too and voice my concern over carrying a passport around

Found this on another forum, Disney's response to another member

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort.

Guests age 21 and older may purchase alcoholic beverages with a valid
photo ID such as a State Driver's License, State or Government issued
ID with picture, Active Military ID or Passport at the following
locations (including both Walt Disney World and Operating Participant
locations):

All bars and lounges (including pool bars)
Beverage carts
Quick Service locations
Any outdoor food locations where alcohol is served
Epcot Food & Wine Festival kiosks
Catering bars
Stadium vending

Please note that if your Driver's license or desired use of
identification does not have photo and a date of birth notation as
standard parts of the form of the identification it will not be
acceptable when trying to purchase alcohol across the Disney property.

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact
us.

Sincerely,
Indiana Larsen
WDW Online Communications

This could just be inconsistency but I'm lead to think because of the paragraph explaining your photo and date of birth, that this might be a change to what they had previously replied.

Absolutely brilliant if so as

A UK Government issued photo card driving license falls in that catagory.

As along as they don't mean US Government ID.

I think the "or" is crucial there.

State (as in any US state)
OR
Government issued ID (as in Foreign government)

On another forum people are now debating whether or not a UK photo DL is even a form of ID!!!!

In any event hopefully Disney will come back to us with an update after a ton of people have emailed again for clarification lol.

I would read that as US Government ID.

For a DL they specify a State DL.

Yep, thats just me thinking we're all honest and wouldnt swap cards to get a drink! When i get home i'll email guest relations too and voice my concern over carrying a passport around

If we were all honest they wouldn't need to ID in the first place, but sadly people aren't.

I think they started doing the biometric cards fairly recently (past 5 years or so). If the stamp in your passport is the only Immigration proof you have a right to live in the UK (outside of photocopies and whatnot obviously), the logistics of losing a passport would be awful!

Off to photo copy now, I can not believe I never thought of it before. My Daughters is in her old passport so she carries both old and new passports. Better copy hers to.

Thanks for pointing that out.:)

Off to photo copy now, I can not believe I never thought of it before. My Daughters is in her old passport so she carries both old and new passports. Better copy hers to.

Thanks for pointing that out.:)

Definitely photocopy them! It also might be worth looking into getting a biometric residence permit, if you can. As annoying as it is that I have a second piece of very important ID, I think it would be easier to replace. Plus no one could EVER enter the UK pretending to be me since my fingerprints are part of the permit :)

Thought I would resurrect this thread as I was reading elsewhere that WDW have reviewed the position and will now accept a colour photocopy of a UK passport.( and other non US countries ) If true, that seems to be a reasonable solution. Colour copy of the passport tucked away in the purse or wallet should be adequate and obviously much safer than carrying the original.

You would assume that with this new RFID technology they could 'chip' you if you are over 21 considering you have a PIN anyway. I appreciate there will be those in the minority who will try to swap bands or what not to get the one allowing you to purchase drinks. I have been to many resorts (typically all inclusive) who distinguish between under and over age by either different wrist bands or a swipe of the room key followed by a 'date of birth' question.

The problem is that people spoil it for the rest of us, whilst carrying your passport is a bit risky, if you can take care of going through an airport with it in and out bag at every checkin/ security and boarding gate then I'm sure it's just as safe with you in WDW. It's usual precautions, zipped bag (or locked in some way) ideally in a zipped pocket within the bag and the bag cross your body. It's a pain in the bahookie for those of us who didn't carry it before, but if its that or not get my Grey Goose slush I know what I'm choosing!!lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter