If one or both of your parents have died

My dad passed away in 2006, before I graduated from college, I deleted his number years ago. My husband's mom passed in 2013 and I do not believe that he has deleted her number yet.

No cell phones when my dad died. I kept my mom's number until I had to get a new phone so I let it go and my late brother's number too.

Never had it in my phone. My parents had that number for 53 years, I think I had it memorized by age 5. And it was my number for 20+ years too when I lived at home.

My parents were long gone before I had a cell phone. A dear friend passed away a couple of years ago and I deleted his number from my phone. I did think about it for a minute but I reckoned I'd feel worse seeing his name there and not being able to call him than not seeing it at all.

I don't have his number in my iphone anymore but I may have gotten the phone right after. I know I switched my contacts over so I'm wondering if I did go in and take it out of my phone. I know I always feel bad when I see him on facebook as one of my friends so I may have taken it out of my phone so I wouldn't always see it.

My father didn't have his own cell phone when he passed away in 2015 (he shared one with my mother). However their home phone number is still under my father's name so when my mother calls me it shows up with my father's name on caller id. It was hard and strange at first but no way was I asking my mother to change that for me.

Yep. My dad died in June 2016, exactly two weeks after my birthday. I still have his cell and home numbers saved, as well as the voicemail he left me on my birthday. Can’t bring myself to delete any of it.

My father died in 2015, I still have his # as a contact and the last few txts he sent me. I suppose in a year or so I will get a new phone and then the natural course of time will take care of it, I can't stand the idea of deliberately deleting it.

My Mom is alive but deep in dementia, Dad passed about 10 years ago. I actually ported their & my childhood number to my iPhone. My DS has their beach house phone on his.

We also have my DM's & DF's license plates.

Not a parent, but I have my favorite aunt's number in my phones. She died in 2014. I miss her. A lot.

My dad had the same number since 1972. The same number I grew up with. When he gave up his landline he made it his cell phone number.

I was pretty much ok with anything/everything my stepmom got rid of. But for some irrational reason it hurt when she disconnected his phone line. (Just inside, I knew better than to say/do anything about it aloud)

He died 2 years ago. I just checked, I must have deleted it already (not that I remember doing that). But I use the last 4 digits as a pin on my gas card!

You all do know they recycle phone numbers? At some point someone else is going to have that number. And if you are incapacitated and the response team tries to reach someone in your phone contacts, they might call the number that you have listed? I mean, sure, that's a really obscure situation, but who knows? Also, if your phone is stolen, there's more info in there than you probably want a stranger to have.

My Dad died in 1987, so no cell phones. Mom passed in 2006, and I used to call her phone just to hear her voice message, which was very funny just like she was. I finally let it go when we recycled the phone some years later.

Not quite the same, but I still have one single voice recording of my dad. I play it every now and again just to feel him close with me. It's the best 45 seconds that I have left.
I have the same thing. I’m actually lucky to have several from my dad. He was a big fan of leaving voicemails unnecessarily:)! But, I am so glad I have them! They make me sad, but I listen to them often. I’ve saved them multiple places to make sure I never lose them.

You all do know they recycle phone numbers? At some point someone else is going to have that number. And if you are incapacitated and the response team tries to reach someone in your phone contacts, they might call the number that you have listed? I mean, sure, that's a really obscure situation, but who knows? Also, if your phone is stolen, there's more info in there than you probably want a stranger to have.
Sorry. I appreciate the advice, but that’s just a risk I’m willing to take. He died just 7 mos ago & suddenly. There is a lot I can’t deal with yet. Have plenty other numbers in there that will work. If they call my dad’s old number & don’t get my dad, I’m pretty sure they’ll quickly move on.

Still have my mother-in-laws number in my phone, and all of her texts...

to make it a little worse, my father-in-law uses her old phone occasionally if he’s having trouble with his — so my heart stops for a second when her name and picture shows up on my caller id. Or if a text shows up from her. :faint:

I have the same thing. I’m actually lucky to have several from my dad. He was a big fan of leaving voicemails unnecessarily:)! But, I am so glad I have them! They make me sad, but I listen to them often. I’ve saved them multiple places to make sure I never lose them.

Yes, I have also saved my dad's voicemail message in several places. It is comforting to hear his voice. I miss him so much.

Sorry. I appreciate the advice, but that’s just a risk I’m willing to take. He died just 7 mos ago & suddenly. There is a lot I can’t deal with yet. Have plenty other numbers in there that will work. If they call my dad’s old number & don’t get my dad, I’m pretty sure they’ll quickly move on.

I'm sure they don't recycle the numbers that quickly. ETA: yes they do -

http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Service-providers-recycling-cell-phone-numbers-is-2505219.php

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter