In your opinion what is the most overrated thing in WDW?

I'll play...

For me, it is BOG dinner. I'm glad we did it once, but certainly won't worry about getting that hard-to-get ADR again. This goes for a lot of Disney dining. I guess we eat too well in "regular life", lol!

For a youthful perspective, I asked my two kids their thoughts on what was over-rated. This thread has lots of responses that seemed to be through the eyes of adults.

DS is 10 -- He looked around and said it in a really quiet voice like he was speaking heresy, "Jungle Cruise. You know it is just plastic animals, right????"

DD is 5. After I tried to explain what overrated meant, she had a pretty simple answer -- "Leaving the parks to go back to our resort to sleep at night!" Disney has that kid hook, line, and sinker!

When people say how big WDW is.
Like that is a good thing!

I think it is a very good thing!! Love how big it is - more room for people to enjoy, more room for people to spread out!

For truly over-rated, for me it's FEA... I thought the queue area was better than the ride itself. And while I totally get why it's a hit with it's target fan group, I really want Norway and Maelstrom back.

Yes!

I have to say it's the character meet & greets. :duck: Nobody in my family likes them but everyone on here seems to LOVE them. I just can't get the thought out of my mind that there is a (possibly disgruntled) 20-something standing in an uncomfortable costume, trying to be cool with 1,000 people hugging him/her and taking pictures. I can't meet face characters either. All I think about is how they DON'T look like their characters. Both are weird for me.

I know ... flame on!

Agree. My kids were only into them on 1 trip, thank God.

Animal Kingdom... All of it...Just an expensive, hot zoo to me :tongue:. Now, with Avatar land it's even busier with plastic glow in the dark scenery. (I've heard some good reviews of the ride but not enough to make me spend the day in the park lol!). I just always refuse to go to that park. Just me and my families opinion :)

Awwww...AK is my favorite and I could spend 2 full days there and not feel like I saw everything.

Yeah, I've just never had an affinity for it is all so I can't really see the appeal, to each their own. I, on the other hand, HAVE to go on the people mover. If I don't, it's just not the same. Last trip we went on it about 10 times, and even got stuck in Space Mountain, and it just never gets old for me. Everyone just has their thing (my husband has to go on Carousel of Progress).

Peoplemover is MY favorite, and COP is my husband's. Love them both so much!

Illuminations. My husband loves it. I'll watch as long as I have a La Cantina frozen margarita in hand, but it's not my favorite show.

Disney Springs, especially with all the retail stores that I can go to anywhere else.
Agree, I don't care for Illuminations.

(per a prior comment that WDW serves Edy's brand Ice Cream...)
Both Breyer's and Friendly's are grocery brands too. Haven't heard of Hood. Try the ice cream at Ample Hills. It's fabulous!
The above are all New England brands. Friendly's didn't start as a grocery brand.

Further, none of the above brands is the same quality they once were. Once upon a time, the above brands only had ingredients like: cream, milk, sugar, cocoa, cocoa butter, and vanilla.

Now Friendly's chocolate chip has: corn syrup, whey protein concentrate, guar gum, mono and diglycerides, xanthan gum, and carrageenan.

Breyers choco chip has: coconut oil, whey, guar gum, carob bean gum, mono and diglycerides, Polysorbate 80, and soy lecithin.

Hood's choco chip has: corn syrup, soy lecithin, whey, locust bean gum, mono and diglycerides, guar gum, Polysorbate 80.

I have no idea why the poster thinks they are better quality than Edy's (at WDW). Edy's ingredients are similar to the lists above, except Edy's doesn't add mono and diglycerides.

At WDW, we're partial to the Mickey bar ice cream. I'm sure it is all about the shape.

Last edited:

Soarin. It's a sad indictment of Epcot that this dumb ride is a top attraction.

Epcot in general is overrated. It isn't rated that highly to begin with, but whatever it is rated is way too high. BORING.

To be honest, WDW is pretty overrated in general. If you go at the right time of year and do it right, it can be worth the money. But, speaking as parent of three young children, we may visit once every three years, tops. At the end of the day, it's still just an overpriced amusement park. There is so much more to LIFE to be experienced!!! I'll never understand the folks who make this their one vacation a year. It's actually a little sad.

Epcot in general is overrated. It isn't rated that highly to begin with, but whatever it is rated is way too high. BORING.

To be honest, WDW is pretty overrated in general. If you go at the right time of year and do it right, it can be worth the money. But, speaking as parent of three young children, we may visit once every three years, tops. At the end of the day, it's still just an overpriced amusement park. There is so much more to LIFE to be experienced!!! I'll never understand the folks who make this their one vacation a year. It's actually a little sad.
You do know the #1 purpose and topic of the board you are posting this to, right?

The way I see it is: Dumbo has been around a lot longer than the other "let's spin in a circle" rides (the AstroOrbiter is another one). Generations of kids have ridden Dumbo and then become parents and grandparents who remember loving the ride. They take their kids and grandkids on the ride, often as one of their first rides ever. The ride is a slow load/unload which causes a line to build. The internet has made this well known and people post everywhere "if you want to ride Dumbo or Peter Pan without a huge wait, ride them first thing". This causes the line to build almost immediately and stay that way all day, especially in Disneyland where neither ride has FP.

Dumbo was my first ride at Disney -- and I made sure it was my DD's first ride she went on when we were at Disneyland. #tradition

I usually ignore comments like this, but I have to address this (bolded) narrow-minded, judgemental comment. We vacation at WDW every year. Our reason? Our 13 year old daughter has high functioning autism. She needs to be in familiar environments and have a schedule to avoid major meltdowns. She needs to know when exactly she will get to ride her favorite rides and eat at her favorite restaurants. She knows what she likes at Disney and what she doesn't. That is comforting to her. She needs to be in a place where it's relatively easy to go back to our hotel when she needs a break. We have tried to vacation outside of Disney and they were disasters. We couldn't keep a schedule like she needs, all the restaurants are "strange" to her, if she was done, then all of us were done for the day instead of only 1 of us. I would love to see more of the world, of our country. But that doesn't work for my daughter and her limitations, so we have found what works.

I know there are many, many other families out there like mine, so next time think before you call our vacation choice "sad." You don't know what the circumstances may be that brings us back to Disney year after year.

And here I was thinking it was sad that they only get to go once every three years :sad: I've been around the world ... my kids have been to other countries too ... and I still prefer to go to WDW at least once a year.

And here I was thinking it was sad that they only get to go once every three years :sad: I've been around the world ... my kids have been to other countries too ... and I still prefer to go to WDW at least once a year.
So does that mean you're doubly (sp?) sad as it's usually a 6 year period for me? :D

You don't need to understand it.

And there is nothing sad about people finding joy/happiness in returning to WDW over and over.

To each his or her own. It's all fake. It's all a facade. If that makes you happy, ok. I prefer real life experiences, and I prefer that for my kids.

Disney every once in a while is all well and good. I've taken my kids to the Grand Canyon, to the Rockies, to a space shuttle launch, to broadway shows, whale watching, on a medical mission trip, and other things. There's a whole amazing world out there with real amazing people, so yes it makes me sad for people who limit their travels to a corporate-constructed illusion. I feel the same way for people who are addicted to Vegas.

It's ok if you disagree.

To each his or her own. It's all fake. It's all a facade. If that makes you happy, ok. I prefer real life experiences, and I prefer that for my kids.

Disney every once in a while is all well and good. I've taken my kids to the Grand Canyon, to the Rockies, to a space shuttle launch, to broadway shows, whale watching, on a medical mission trip, and other things. There's a whole amazing world out there with real amazing people, so yes it makes me sad for people who limit their travels to a corporate-constructed illusion. I feel the same way for people who are addicted to Vegas.

It's ok if you disagree.
And it's ok if you don't love Disney. Just find it odd you come to a board full of Disney fans to post it

Be Our Guest for dinner

We love eating lunch there but in my opinion dinner was nothing special, took too long, and cost a lot (though to be fair lunch does as well). I honestly don't care if I ever eat dinner there again. Yet people rave about it and it books up at 180 days often lol-to each their own

Same here. If your children really want to meet The Beast then I guess I can see going. The food at dinner is really not good. Lunch for one quick service credit is much better.

Thought the food at Tony's Town Square was pretty sorry.

Ugh do not get me started at Tony's! I have always wished they could get it together there. The location is great and the theming is so perfect for main street. They should make that into a 2 table service credit restaurant and make it a worthwhile dining experience.

It's ok if you disagree.

People can go to WDW every year or every other year and ALSO go other places. My kids have been to Washington DC, San Francisco, San Diego, Charlotte NC, New York City, Philadelphia, Gettysburg, Colonial Williamsburg, Hershey PA, the Bahamas...and that is just in the last 5 years.

My kids also have Autism. Disney vacations are our most enjoyable ones for the same reason mentioned above by the other poster with an autistic child. They are familiar. They are routine. Our other visits I mentioned here were about 25% enjoyable/75% complete Hell.

Sure I would love to explore Europe and Asia with my kids, but I haven't even done that yet! My kids can do it when they are adults. I frankly don't think they would enjoy it at this time AT ALL. And at the end of the day, vacation should be something everyone enjoys. Right now, WDW is that place for us.

And we don't need your pity at all.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter