In your opinion what is the most overrated thing in WDW?

To each his or her own. It's all fake. It's all a facade. If that makes you happy, ok. I prefer real life experiences, and I prefer that for my kids.

Disney every once in a while is all well and good. I've taken my kids to the Grand Canyon, to the Rockies, to a space shuttle launch, to broadway shows, whale watching, on a medical mission trip, and other things. There's a whole amazing world out there with real amazing people, so yes it makes me sad for people who limit their travels to a corporate-constructed illusion. I feel the same way for people who are addicted to Vegas.

It's ok if you disagree.
I have got to say with all due respect I am so perplexed by those have such negative views on Disney and yet........they still go there. You're absolutely allowed to have that bleak outlook on Disney but why oh why bash it to pieces and yet still go there? That is truly beyond my comprehension.

It's not a required thing at all to go. Your kids don't need to go to Disney. You are choosing to take them to Disney. I can understand going once and then having that opinion and swearing it off for good (and really meaning it too) even for your kids to never go there because you just don't believe in what the place and company stands for but lord to go every 3 years and then have the outlook you do....o_O

Be Our Guest for dinner

We love eating lunch there but in my opinion dinner was nothing special, took too long, and cost a lot (though to be fair lunch does as well). I honestly don't care if I ever eat dinner there again. Yet people rave about it and it books up at 180 days often lol-to each their own

Same here. If your children really want to meet The Beast then I guess I can see going. The food at dinner is really not good. Lunch for one quick service credit is much better.

Tastes vary and experiences vary. I was very happy with my dinner there; ratatouille isn't a common dish as the restaurants I frequent. DH enjoyed his meal as well, though didn't find the experience as magical as he'd hoped. But as I've said elsewhere, I think the room you're in makes a big difference.

To each his or her own. It's all fake. It's all a facade. If that makes you happy, ok. I prefer real life experiences, and I prefer that for my kids.

Disney every once in a while is all well and good. I've taken my kids to the Grand Canyon, to the Rockies, to a space shuttle launch, to broadway shows, whale watching, on a medical mission trip, and other things. There's a whole amazing world out there with real amazing people, so yes it makes me sad for people who limit their travels to a corporate-constructed illusion. I feel the same way for people who are addicted to Vegas.

It's ok if you disagree.

I do disagree with your not only your sentiment, but the way you present it.

It's ok if you disagree.
Then why are you on this board? I've done so much traveling, so has my husband, and we're planning a trip with our kids to Europe in a few years (when the youngest is a bit older), but there is still just something about Disney that's nice. If you think it's all fake why are you even in here? To get peoples blood boiling? Seeing the world is great, but sometimes you just want some simple Disney fun.

Tastes vary and experiences vary. I was very happy with my dinner there; ratatouille isn't a common dish as the restaurants I frequent. DH enjoyed his meal as well, though didn't find the experience as magical as he'd hoped. But as I've said elsewhere, I think the room you're in makes a big difference.
My husband and I found that it all depends on what you order and what your tastes are. My meal at dinner was amazing, loved every bite, he was like "meh, it's ok". He also agreed he should have tried something else, and probably would have liked it better.

Am I allowed to say one I've never actually experienced myself? The MK dessert party. I cannot imagine paying $80 for desserts and a view of Wishes. That's $320 for my family of 4! For desserts! and a view!

Agree, and the dining plan...

Soarin. It's a sad indictment of Epcot that this dumb ride is a top attraction.

Epcot in general is overrated. It isn't rated that highly to begin with, but whatever it is rated is way too high. BORING.

To be honest, WDW is pretty overrated in general. If you go at the right time of year and do it right, it can be worth the money. But, speaking as parent of three young children, we may visit once every three years, tops. At the end of the day, it's still just an overpriced amusement park. There is so much more to LIFE to be experienced!!! I'll never understand the folks who make this their one vacation a year. It's actually a little sad.

Here's the thing: We come to this board to share our Disney obsessions with each other, because people like you give us grief in the real world about it. Why did you think it's acceptable to even share this POV here? I could not care less what anyone thinks of my vacation choices, but it's incredibly tacky to come on the DISBoards to shame people for going to *drum roll* DISNEY.

Oh, this is easy: Every Disney-owned hotel. All of them. They are all overpriced by a ridiculous margin and offer worse amenities than any major international hotel chain, like Marriott or Hyatt -- even the so-called "deluxe" hotels. (I refuse to call them "resorts." I prefer accuracy.)

I understand the appeal of staying at a Disney hotel. It's fun to be constantly enveloped in the magic throughout a vacation. It ensures total isolation from the real world. I appreciate that and always recommend to first-timers to do just that for the full Disney experience. But I think it's important to set expectations at an appropriate level. Disney is good at a lot of things. Running hotels is not one of them. So if you stay at the Grand Floridian expecting a true deluxe experience, you will be sorely disappointed. (The Swan and Dolphin, properties owned by an established hotel brand, are much better options and usually cost considerably less than the Disney hotels.)

There's a reason why the company initially wanted to outsource all of its hotels before assuming control later. Maybe Disney should've stuck with that plan.

All Disney Cupcakes - half greasy, sugary icing - half mediocre cake. In fact, there are few bakery items at Disney (not restaurants) that I have eaten and wanted a repeat, including the French bakery - beautiful, but most are yucky to me. Loved the MS Bakery cinnamon roll though, Gaston's OK.

To be honest, WDW is pretty overrated in general. If you go at the right time of year and do it right, it can be worth the money. But, speaking as parent of three young children, we may visit once every three years, tops. At the end of the day, it's still just an overpriced amusement park. There is so much more to LIFE to be experienced!!! I'll never understand the folks who make this their one vacation a year. It's actually a little sad.

brookmey already told their story but I don't want to make it seem like everyone who goes to Disney on a yearly basis does so because of some somber reason.

Your statements are stunningly ignorant and incredibly rude and pretentious. There are dozens of reasons to go back to this place year after year. I don't feel any need to justify this. All I'll say is no two trips are alike for me, and I'm sure for many others. I am always able to experience something new.

There is certainly a world outside Disney World, and no one has ever said not to experience it. If you can believe it, there are people who love Disney AND want to see the world. But sometimes, Disney can give you a taste of a culture you may have been ignorant about. One example: staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge and visiting Africa in AK made me appreciate African culture and African cuisine. I spent a good hour talking to a cast member from South Africa who even gave me some info on how to contact people he knew back home. I've since read books about African art and architecture. Disney opened that door for me, and because of that I'm planning a trip to South Africa in the next few years.

As far as being fake and a facade, well that's just ridiculous. What's "fake" about a great meal at Narcoossee's or California Grill? What's fake about a relaxing stay at The Polynesian or Boardwalk Inn? What's fake about the joy you get and the smile on your face after stepping off your favorite ride? What's fake about the sense of nostalgia and comfort people get when they step on property?

I could spend an entire trip to WDW not riding a single ride, and instead just marveling at the incredible depth of details and theming that the Imagineers have put into this place. Every aspect of this place is meticulously detailed, down to insanely long backstories that maybe 3 or 4 people in the park would have any idea exist. You calling it a corporate-constructed illusion means that you're unable to appreciate these little aspects. You just see it as a slab of land to hold a few rides. But so many of us are happy diving deeper into the history of this place and looking to see just how deep the story that they'r trying to portray goes.

I also find it quite funny that you say there's a whole amazing world out there... yet almost all of the things you listed are right here in America. How is going to the Grand Canyon is any less touristy than Disney World? How does that help your kids appreciate the world more? Funnily enough, it seems you're stuck believing America is the whole world. And I will also bet my bank account that the kids of parents who took them to Disney World had a better time than your kids did on a "medical mission trip". And do you really think a Disney vacation and a Broadway show are comparable? I see several shows a year, but I would never rank them in terms of a vacation... maybe because I'm secure enough that I don't have to show off all my interests.

Ultimately what I find sad isn't the people that love Disney World and continue to go every year... it's the people that seem to have a problem with this. Families creating memories for a lifetime certainly don't feel that their vacations are sad or fake or illusions. But you look at that and feel the need to discredit it and diminish it. I think that speaks more about you. I think seeing the world is awesome and essential for everyone, and should sometimes take precedent over another Disney trip. But I believe people can hold two thoughts in their head at the same time. I think you can want new experiences and see the world while also at the very same time take comfort in what you're familiar with in Disney. Trying a new food in a foreign land AND eating at your favorite Disney restaurant at your favorite Disney resort. You can want to explore new horizons all over the globe AND explore the details of Frontierland or Liberty Square. You can walk through World Showcase and realize just how much you love the Germany pavilion, so you finally book a trip to see the real thing, something you may not have ever done if you didn't get that little taste.

So finally... I'd spend less time worrying about people that really like Walt Disney World. Surely you can find something better to do instead, right? I mean, there's so much more LIFE to be experienced!!!

Last edited:
Boardwalk and Yacht Club if I'm honest, not because I think they're terrible (they're beautiful and well-maintained!) but because when I was little it was the only place my parents wanted to stay year after year, and let me tell you I was so bummed to be surrounded by subtly-themed decor when I could see all the other movie/fantasy-themed hotels out there. Torture for a tiny kid!! :scared:

Oh, this is easy: Every Disney-owned hotel. All of them. They are all overpriced by a ridiculous margin and offer worse amenities than any major international hotel chain, like Marriott or Hyatt -- even the so-called "deluxe" hotels. (I refuse to call them "resorts." I prefer accuracy.)

I understand the appeal of staying at a Disney hotel. It's fun to be constantly enveloped in the magic throughout a vacation. It ensures total isolation from the real world. I appreciate that and always recommend to first-timers to do just that for the full Disney experience. But I think it's important to set expectations at an appropriate level. Disney is good at a lot of things. Running hotels is not one of them. So if you stay at the Grand Floridian expecting a true deluxe experience, you will be sorely disappointed. (The Swan and Dolphin, properties owned by an established hotel brand, are much better options and usually cost considerably less than the Disney hotels.)

There's a reason why the company initially wanted to outsource all of its hotels before assuming control later. Maybe Disney should've stuck with that plan.

My wife would agree with this... she is a world traveler and spends 25% of each year in hotels and she recognizes the substandard amenities from Disney Hotels, points them out to me in fact but to be honest. Me and the kids are too wrapped up in the Disney lore to notice the small things at the hotel. I don't require much from the hotel.. comfy bed, coffee maker, towels, hot water... pool.. place to grab a quick bite.. Although i do remember last trip to WDW trying to get online to check my work email from the resort and couldn't connect to the wifi. that was aggravating but i got over it in about 5 secs. I hate coming back to work after a week off and having 500 emails to sort through and thought it would be a good idea to take my laptop and check it every morning.. so much for good ideas! :(

The most overated thing at WDW IMO is the pressure from Disney to get us to spend and spend.. Let's put a price on things to make things more Magical. BBB, desert parties, pirate cruise, fishing, etc....

Agree that Disney is all fake and a fascade... Agree with the PP on her comments. I also prefer to give my Kids "real" experiences.. But we live in Europe and WDW is a guilty Habit like eating too much chocolate.
The Fakeness etc.. is what makes it so much fun. It's nice to escape the real world a bit; as tacky as it gets it is fun.. and there are 4 parks of "fakeness" offering various forms of "fakeness".. .. True some aspects are "fakingly" annoying.

Example my son loves to fish.. So I can if i choose pay Disney around 200/300 an hour to fish on a man made swamp and have a magical experience.. Here we say no and instead I plan a few days on the coast for "real" fishing. I know WDW fising is real but we don't Need the Epcot or MK backdrop. I think Disney take Advantage that many families plan Extended Family vacations at WDW where grandparents etc.. meet from all over the states and try and cram a week worth of Family time at WDW.. So I can see a grandpa who lives in CA. for example spending this Money if this is his one week a year to see said grandchild from maybe NY to fish.

I think also there are many guests from small towns or non-Metro Areas where seeing the Monorail is the first and only time to see any form of public Transportation or a Train... my Kids are non-excited. I mean we have high Speed Trains here as daily commutes. France is obviously fake but I think it's a cute "stage set" of France. Not the real Thing, but a nice experience.

Ecpot also had an Aquarium that puts many cities "real" Aquariums to shame. and as far as Broadway Shows... I told my husband, yes the LK Show at AK was not the original Broadway ( which I have seen) but I said it was good enough for us that we dont Need to plan a "real" Show for the Family.

Might rambled, but I am "working" and this post was interrupted many times :rolleyes1

I honestly don't view anything at Disney as 'overrated'. Sure, there are things that I like more than others, but we always try to squeeze everything we can in during our trips. Our goal on a 10 day trip is to ride every ride, see every show, visit any characters that have short lines, etc. Simply put, we think everything at Disney is cool.

I have got to say with all due respect I am so perplexed by those have such negative views on Disney and yet........they still go there. You're absolutely allowed to have that bleak outlook on Disney but why oh why bash it to pieces and yet still go there? That is truly beyond my comprehension.

It's not a required thing at all to go. Your kids don't need to go to Disney. You are choosing to take them to Disney. I can understand going once and then having that opinion and swearing it off for good (and really meaning it too) even for your kids to never go there because you just don't believe in what the place and company stands for but lord to go every 3 years and then have the outlook you do....o_O

It perplexed me more for someone who loathes Disney to post on a message board about it. I don't even necessarily disagree with this poster. I love going other places (we're camping and kayaking with whales on Vancouver island again this year) but I also enjoy Disney. We are headed there in December. Haven't been in a while and it's time to go back.

Last edited:
Country bear jamboree....15 minutes of my life I can't get back...BORING!

The great movie ride too.

Shocked at how many people said Fantasmic. With wishes gone, this is by far my favorite show in all of WDW. I'd see it multiple times in one trip if I could.

When people ask us, "Why do you keep going back to Disney, year after year?" here's what my husband says...

"Do you have a cottage? Why do you keep going back to the same lake, year after year? Haven't you done everything there is to do? Doesn't it get boring?"

And the answer is, of course it doesn't get boring! That cosy familiarity is exactly what makes the summer cottage so appealing.

Not every vacation is about expanding our horizons or experiencing new things. Some vacations are about relaxing, playing, revisiting old favourites, eating well and taking a nap every afternoon.

We don't have a cottage, but we've got Annual Passes to Walt Disney World, and - for us! - it's the same thing.

If we said we were going up to a cottage for a week, even if it was the sixth time we'd gone that year, everyone would just tell us to have a nice time. No one would criticize or imply that we needed to visit the "real" world instead.

It annoys me deeply when people put value judgments on how other people choose to relax and play. And yes, I'm also quite perplexed as to why this person would even be on the DisBoards in the first place. Is this their idea of a fun hobby? Sneering at people? I'd rather spend my time with the obsessed Disney fanatic over that kind of person, any day of the week.

Also, to answer the original question - for me, it's Space Mountain. Every few years I try it again, thinking maybe I was wrong, and I end up walking off it with a splitting headache. It's loud, dark, my eyes don't have time to adjust so I never see anything, and it's way too bumpy. I joke that my favourite way to ride Space Mountain is on the People Mover. ;)

Boardwalk and Yacht Club if I'm honest, not because I think they're terrible (they're beautiful and well-maintained!) but because when I was little it was the only place my parents wanted to stay year after year, and let me tell you I was so bummed to be surrounded by subtly-themed decor when I could see all the other movie/fantasy-themed hotels out there. Torture for a tiny kid!! :scared:

Oh, my, what torture!! :D That's an example of a child (or anyone) having too much, so not enjoying and appreciating it!! I see lots of examples of this!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter