Interest Thread - Ribbon Swap?

cassi06403

<font color=brown>I LOVE the chocolate bunny<br><f
I hope I'm following proper protocol. It has been a long time since I last posted on the boards. I've been away from my scrapbooing for a while now - turns out a two year-old and a business can keep you really busy ! ;) My crafty side is starting to emerge again. I actually started a paper piecing completely out of the blue the other day!

One of the things I wish I had more of a variety of is ribbon. I couldn't remember the last place I participated in a swap, so I came here!

Anyone interested in a ribbon swap? Anyone with more hosting experience interested in hosting one?

Hello!:) We quite often have ribbon as one (or more) groups of a general embellishment swap (e.g. brads, eyelets etc.) Not sure if we've got one planned currently, but its one of my favourites:goodvibes

I admit I like ribbon too. I have quite a bit, but I don't mind having more of it :rotfl2: There's always something I get in a swap that I don't have access to where I live. I love to do swaps.

VickiV

I would participate in a ribbon swap. When a scrapbook store went out of business a few years ago, I kind of stocked up. I have some spools with far more than I could use.

Do you all want me to host this and have it do 11/10 with the paper doll swap w/ those participating in that... and those who aren't would that be enough time???

And if so, break it down by color, seasons (together), holidays(togethter) and 10 per group...

ideas, thoughts, suggestions?? and how much per person (1 yd = 3 ft)
Ribbon only or do we want fibers?

I think we did 3 yds of fiber in the past. My local stores haven't had any interesting fibers lately. I think 1 yd of ribbon per person is a good amount. You could have themed groups, such as Disney, holidays, colors, etc. or just have sign ups for spots for random ribbons. It doesn't take much to shop for ribbon locally. However, in the past, there have been people that have ordered online. I don't know how much time would need to be alloted for that. Also, if it was due November 10, would that cut MazdaUK and PrincessJayne out of the swap due to their mailing time? I would probably sign up no matter how it's set up.

VickiV

I could probably just about make that - it depends how soon the sign-ups go up, as I'll have to order a few things. and I can't do that til I know how many and which group. A week later would be better.

I'd say yard of ribbon, but maybe 5-6 per group instead of 10? (Its harder to find full spools here). Could we also have like the scrap paper - send in a yard of random ribbon (or more) and get a suprise back? I've got lots of odd yards which I won't use (surplus from swaps etc. where I miscalculated :rolleyes1)

Why don't we shoot for sign ups the end of November due in Jan that way we could give everyone time to shop...

Let me put something together and get some input...

I'd vote for both themed groups and a "scrap" ribbon group. A Disney group would be amazing! Maybe Christmas, Halloween, brights, boy, girl???

Now that y'all have explained this it sounds like fun :)

I thought you meant to just buy spools of ribbon and trade those--clearly I was confused :confused3

Hi ladies! Nan asked if I'd like to hostesses this one, and I accepted. My momma, wdwmickey (Cheryl) will be my co-host, and both of us are happy to answer any questions you may have.

I'm thinking of having sign-ups on October 29 (it's a Saturday so I can monitor sign-ups) with a due date of December 31; would this work for everyone?

I like the group ideas I've seen so far and would love to see more.

We've been brainstorming ;)

How about a sign-up date of October 15? Groups of 5. 1 or 2 yards of ribbon? What about width...maximum 5/8 inch??? Or do we want groups for narrow and groups for wide?

Group ideas:

Pastels
Brights
Earth tones
Stripes
Polka dots
Animal Print
Holiday--Christmas; Halloween; mixed holiday group?
Disney
Sports
Birthday
Surprise (ie: scraps)

What do y'all think? Any and all suggestions welcomed :)

OK...here's my suggestions...I wouldn't specify width, but that's just me. So, either way is ok. I would make two seperate groups for Halloween and Christmas and then maybe another mixed holiday. There are so many options! Then, what about animal print, sports, birthday, boys, girls, earth tones.

I know I was just looking on ebay and came up with a ton more ideas ;) I'm thinking animal print; any pattern; definately seperate Christmas and Halloween; patriotic.

I'm not sure on the width...we just never use ribbon wider than 5/8" for scrapping.

In prior ribbon swaps, I have gotten some small spools of ribbon back, the ones about 1 1/2" across the spool. I imagine it's a matter of convenience to just go buy something already packaged, or perhaps they were on clearance :thumbsup2Mostly though, I have received cut lengths of ribbon.

VickiV

I've had some small spools - I think they were from a mixed pack by Basic Grey. I've got some very girly (ballet shoe print!) ribbon left from a swap but I wouldn't want a whole girly group, so I'd put that into a mixed group.

I think a yard is about right - that lines two pages and gives some trim for extra elements:goodvibes

I will have to mail by 4 December (what with Christmas) to get to you by 12/31

Mazda ~ will that give you enough time? We can totally move the due date into January. Let me know what works best for you.

I'm really liking the idea of doing color groups. How do you guys feel about that? For instance red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, etc and then the ribbon could be stripes, dots, or whatever pattern. KWIM?

Let me and my momma know how you prefer the groups to be set up since we've never even thought about a ribbon swap we're not quite sure what would be the best way to set the groups ;)

Love the colors idea!! I LOVE ribbon!!! LOL I will be so excited!

Cheryl - I agree on the limiting the wide end...I thought you meant to not allow anything thin. Not that I use super-thin ribbon, but some I use is maybe not quite 1/2"...but it could be as I don't know that I have ever actually measured!! LOL

Did you decide to do this the 15th for sign-ups or keeping the 29th? I will need a buddy if it's the 29th. The 15th I can handle on my own. Let me know! I will be getting ready to start picking some up little by little as soon as the groups are up!! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter