Is The 50th Celebration That Big of a Deal?

BrightMorningStar

Mouseketeer
Is there really anything that big of a deal going on during the 50th that would be worth trying to go in March instead of April or May?

Last edited:
The decorations in resorts and parks are pretty. There are some exclusive souvenirs, prices also exclusive as you'd anticipate for a special event.

On the whole, I don't think you'll miss anything significant if you don't go while it's still on.

But, that's just me. I'm not overly impressed by any but Christmas merch and decorations.

I would say no, unless you live for fireworks like I do. People are pretty polarized on their opinions of Harmonious and Enchantment, but IMO, they are both amazing shows and I would go to see them, because this will be your only chance.

I would also say no. Everytime in the past we have been to Disney it seems they were celebrating something, 25th year or this or 30th year of that. Disney marketing plays these up as a way to advertise the parks and while there is nothing wrong with that, none of them have ever been that big of a deal to make a trip specifically due to a particular celebration.

Nope not at all. I’d vote May over March… crowds are usually better in May, more of a chance of Tron being open. More of a chance of the construction being somewhat completed and more areas accessible at Epcot. And the 50th fireworks shows were not well received, so you’ll get to view the new show at Epcot and the updated version of the beloved Happily Ever After. The return of HEA alone would be enough for me to go in May vs March!

I'm another vote for May over March. Except for the different color scheme and themed merchandise, there's been little that's special about the 50th anniversary.

March is now perhaps the most crowded month of the year, while May (especially before Memorial Day) is one of the best months to go. Lower crowds and great weather.

I agree. No need to specifically go for the 50th unless you were already planning to go.

The one cool thing for us is that we had gone in March of 1972, the first year the Magic Kingdom opened (Park opened in October the year before) and have a March of 2022 photo in the very same spot with castle in the background almost exactly 50 years later. We have a photo of the castle with the 50 on it too from the March trip. I wouldn't have made a special trip, but I will say I hung up some of these photos and they do make me smile every time I see them. Just reminds me of 50 years of great family memories at Orlando / Disney.

Photo Ops and limited souvenirs. We got our 2022 50th Christmas Tree Ornament (a lot bigger than the 40th ornament), and lots of pics of the castle.

And bragging rights that you were there!

I would go in May to ride Tron. We are at WDW and the 50th touches are very underwhelming.

Yes the 50th was lackluster and could have been so much more.... I hated on Enchantment and Harmonious when they first opened but they slowly grew on me....so much that I planned one last trip to see them both before they go away. Would I recommend someone book a trip specifically for the 50th "festivities"? No. As noted above...March is crazy busy...and if you want to ride Tron even more reason to wait until May. You'll also likely get HEA 2.0 (which is a crowd favorite) and perhaps EF (still no confirmation as to what is happening once Harm ends).

What are the resort decorations I should look out for?
Nothing much that I recall other than little touches like floral arrangements or garlands using the 50th colors.

Sorry if what I said earlier suggested there were bunches of special 50th decorations in the resorts.

For instance, at the GF the poinsettias around the gingerbread house were blue and purple with gold touches--the 50th anniversary colors. Even Santa's suit was blue. Those were too weird for me.

honestly (and this is coming from someone who can afford Disney once a decade so take it with a grain of salt) I feel like they probably had much more extravagant plans for the 50th....but then covid came along before they could execute their plans so they cobbled something together.... WDW's 50th reminds me of that time in Grade 11 I left an English essay til the very last night of Christmas vacation and threw something together at 1am just so I could say I did the assignment 🤦🏼‍♀️

Not really a big deal aside from a few decorations and some special desserts. Other than to say you were there I’d not rush to see the 50th celebration.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter