I've reached my breaking point with Disney and this mess

Not here, the supposed leader of reopening. We have eaten out every week since restaurants were allowed to reopen. The first week we were the only patrons in the restaurant. The last Friday there were two other groups in the restaurant. This past Saturday was the first time we saw a place mostly full to the 50% capacity now setup.

When salons were allowed to reopen, few did. It took several weeks before the majority were open.

The mall has been open for weeks. Only 50% of the stores are open.

People have been slow to emerge.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/georgiaShows Georgia still -21% typical mobility.

We're a little south of you in Coweta County. While some businesses have been slow to open here, people have been out in droves. We've dined in restaurants several times since they've opened and all but one has been filled to current capacity limits. A couple days after restaurants were allowed to open for dine-in, we went to Texas Roadhouse and had a 90 min wait to get in. The hair cutting place DH and DS went to had a 115 min wait. Mask use also seems to be considerably reduced. It seemed like about 90% around here wore masks before the re-opening and less than 50% now, from what I've seen.

Down here at least, it doesn't appear that too many people are hesitant to resume normal activity.

We are not "afraid" of the virus, but I like to think as a family we are prudent and cautious. I think the is a big difference between the two. When it comes to catching anything from the common cold to the corona virus we try to be diligent in washing our hands avoiding contact with people we don't know and for the most part practicing proper hygiene. The reality is as much as we love WDW when this all started we knew it was going to be a while before we returned. We were there the first week of February this year and I won't repeat the whole story but the short version is someone gagged on Expedition Everest in from of us, had a little spit up come out and hit us in the face on our second day of our trip which was Sunday and I was in the emergency room by Wednesday with 103 fever and severe dehydration. Instead of flying home the following Saturday, we rented a car and drove home on Friday. That simple, riding a roller coaster we love at WDW and three days later in an emergency room with the flu. So realistically we will not be returning anytime soon. We had another trip planned for March 29th but that was cancelled as well, we did not reschedule because I did not want to go through anything like the OP is.

No matter how hard we want it, or wish it the reality is it will take time to return to "normal" if there is even to be a normal again. When I return to WDW I want the best experience possible and the experience as close to what I remember as possible and until then I am willing to wait.

You know it’s not just touching stuff that causes you too catch the virus, right? The virus does not absorb thru your skin. After you touch something which has active virus on it, you then have to touch your eyes, nose or mouth to introduce the virus into your body. Which is why you are told to wash your hands or use hand sanitizers & keep your hands away from your face. Those 3 things & everyone wearing masks greatly decreases risk of catching/ spreading it.

Right, and no one ever touches their faces, especially when it's hot and you're sweaty.

I personally think there is probably more risk at WDW than at a grocery store, but it doesn't really matter what I think. I'm not going.

Actually, Disney does owe him (and all it’s other customers) something. It owes him exactly what he paid for. When money for a service trades hands, said service should be given. I understand that the situation is fluid, but as such, maybe Disney shouldn’t have been offering deals it wasn’t sure it could honor. It’s a bait and switch. “Here, pay full price for all this, and we’ll give you this valuable item for free!” Then after you pay, “oops, sorry. You won’t be getting the free item now and you still have to pay full price for everything else”. But he can always just get his money back and feel lucky that he has the opportunity to do so, right? I understand Disney can’t control the pandemic but they can control their shady behavior. I love Disney and I own a few DVC contracts but even I can see how unethical this is. But some Disney defenders on here (most people on here) are so blinded by their belief that Disney can do no wrong that they can’t see the wrong that’s right in front of them.
Disney owes us nothing. They have no control over this situation. They cancelled and refunded the money. No services were even exchanged. And seriously look around you right now. I don’t hold disney to some unrealistic standard I’m not blind. I’m realistic. It’s not unethical. It is a situation that changes day by day. If you disagree so strongly sell your contracts and never go again. But stop. There are much bigger issues in the world right now. This is not one of them

Disney owes us nothing. They have no control over this situation. They cancelled and refunded the money. No services were even exchanged. And seriously look around you right now. I don’t hold disney to some unrealistic standard I’m not blind. I’m realistic. It’s not unethical. It is a situation that changes day by day. If you disagree so strongly sell your contracts and never go again. But stop. There are much bigger issues in the world right now. This is not one of the

First of all, don’t tell me to stop. I really don’t know who you think you are but you have no right to tell me to stop. I’m in the medical field. I’ve “looked around me” a lot. Unless you’re working with sick patients then I’d guess I’ve “looked around me” more then you. Fact is, people paid inflAted prices for the benefit of free dining which was then rescinded, but the inflated prices were not. That’s unethical. No Disney can’t control the situation but they can honor their deals. Just saying “people don’t have to pay the inflated prices they can get a refund” is ridiculous and besides the point. But like I said, on here anyone who speaks anything against Disney is a heretic. I guess people should just be happy that Disney has allowed them to vacation there and never second guess anything they do.

There are a few more things happening in the world right now. And I can say what I want, when I want. And things change. Do you not realize that. Don’t go to Disney anymore. It will make the experience much more pleasant for the rest of us

There are a few more things happening in the world right now. And I can say what I want, when I want. And things change. Do you not realize that. Don’t go to Disney anymore. It will make the experience much more pleasant for the rest of us
Yes things change. That’s why Disney shouldn’t be charging for parkhoppers they won’t honor and inflated room rates. And no, you can’t tell me to stop. Don’t care who you are. I have a right to speak too. I spend A LOT of money at Disney so I’m sure disney wouldn’t t like to see me stop visiting. Typical Disney defender quote “then don’t go” haha, you guys say that to anyone who disagrees with anything Disney does. BTW, you’re welcome to come to the hospital and be on the front lines of dealing with this, until then don’t talk to me about “the situation changing” because I’m dealing with it up close and personal.

Yes things change. That’s why Disney shouldn’t be charging for parkhoppers they won’t honor and inflated room rates. And no, you can’t tell me to stop. Don’t care who you are. I have a right to speak too. I spend A LOT of money at Disney so I’m sure disney wouldn’t t like to see me stop visiting. Typical Disney defender quote “then don’t go” haha, you guys say that to anyone who disagrees with anything Disney does. BTW, you’re welcome to come to the hospital and be on the front lines of dealing with this, until then don’t talk to me about “the situation changing” because I’m dealing with it up close and personal.

I believe the price of the parkhoppers will be taken off your package eventually.
I just don’t think it has happened yet.

As for the inflated room prices, the deluxe resorts have been inflated for years. Moderate prices have been creeping up to not worth it for us, but I still find the value resort prices reasonable for the most part. The 35% discount is definitely nice to soften the blow, especially if you’re at a deluxe.

LOL Disney has had inflated room prices for the last 15 years. I am guessing the cost of park hopping will be refunded. And frankly, Disney doesn't care if you stop visiting, regardless of how much money you think you spend there. There are thousands willing to take your place. They won't miss you.

Have they said they won't be refunding guests for Park Hoppers if park hopping isn't allowed?

It’s a bait and switch.
Bait and switch is defined as:
noun
noun: bait-and-switch
  1. the action (generally illegal) of advertising goods which are an apparent bargain, with the intention of substituting inferior or more expensive goods.
    "a bait-and-switch scheme"
Are you suggesting Disney intended to bait and switch when they were trying, like every other business affected by the virus, to work their way around an unknown? Because the virus is/was an unknown in every way. Spread, infection rate, economic impact, recovery, contagiousness, etc. We've all been trying to figure out something that is literally a moving target that affects far more than what we can see in the present.
But some Disney defenders on here (most people on here) are so blinded by their belief that Disney can do no wrong that they can’t see the wrong that’s right in front of them.
I'm not blinded in the least. I know Disney will profit on anything and everything they can. They are greedy. And I am someone who goes to Disney 2-3 times per year. But this situation is far beyond their greed and impacted far more areas (safety, economics, etc) and more quickly than most people could've predicted. I don't see what Disney has done/doing as bait and switch. I also know that what is right in front of me is a very fluid situation that changes daily here, with regard to new cases, new procedures for hospitals and doctor's offices, new testing requirements, businesses trying to change to adapt to things. You can't fault anyone for that. Disney is big enough that they probably won't go under, which is more than a lot of smaller businesses around here.
Typical Disney defender quote “then don’t go” haha, you guys say that to anyone who disagrees with anything Disney does.
Personally, as someone who deals with the virus every day and has since the middle of March, I don't disagree with what Disney is trying to do. Not because I'm a true defender.... but honestly... you and everyone do have the choice to not go if it's not what you want or the way you want it. In my opinion they are trying to rectify the situation in some way. More than other places have. See VRBO issues where people have lost thousands of dollars, or my own travel insurance that wouldn't cover pandemics, in spite of us not ever having a pandemic before. Go figure... We did get reimbursed most of our money after my doctor had to write a letter to the company, but we were still out a few hundred. Disney is doing more than those companies. I'm trying to have a little grace and understanding for people and businesses working their way through this unknown.
BTW, you’re welcome to come to the hospital and be on the front lines of dealing with this, until then don’t talk to me about “the situation changing” because I’m dealing with it up close and personal.
I'm on the front lines just by where I live and how I've been personally affected and I don't agree with your opinion. I live with it every day, several members of my family in the health care field, all of us have been directly impacted by the virus in some way. All of us have been wondering why someone would even attempt to go to Disney, or anywhere, right now and then being upset because they can't or it's not what they wanted/expected. But we have a very different perspective being in the thick of the virus where other areas have not. YMMV. We've been having to wear masks every day to get groceries, before it was mandatory most places. We've been under curfew (still are) every day since the beginning of April. We've had to quarantine for two weeks from exposure, some of my family had virus and/or antibody testing including myself. We haven't been able to have more than 4 people who are not immediate family in a car or gathering since April also. Most places don't have those extreme restrictions, but they also don't have the extreme virus impact we've experienced.

It is scary to have to get groceries in a place where you knew 1 out of 25 people around you have the virus, and the last thing you would be concerned about is worrying if the grocery store is not operating they way they *should* or as normally as they had been prior to the virus. I don't have the option to not get food, but I do have the option to not go to Disney. Disney is far down on my priorities list right now.

I can only speak to my experience and how it's impacted me and my family. Thankfully things are improving here and our cases are going down. Thankfully the other areas of our country are understanding more about the virus, but we were the beginning of the wave of it, directly impacted by NYC cases, and going blindly for a while trying to adjust.

Again, this is my opinion, experience and YMMV. And if you are working directly with virus patients, thank you.

Bait and switch is defined as:
noun
noun: bait-and-switch
  1. the action (generally illegal) of advertising goods which are an apparent bargain, with the intention of substituting inferior or more expensive goods.
    "a bait-and-switch scheme"
Are you suggesting Disney intended to bait and switch when they were trying, like every other business affected by the virus, to work their way around an unknown? Because the virus is/was an unknown in every way. Spread, infection rate, economic impact, recovery, contagiousness, etc. We've all been trying to figure out something that is literally a moving target that affects far more than what we can see in the present.
People throw out bait and switch often with no apparent understanding of what it actually means.

I am guessing that Disney has probably lost hundreds of millions during this pandemic. Disney do not want to upset future guests but they simply have no option. The limited capacity in resorts/parks/restaurants means that everyone who had already made their reservations just simply cannot be accommodated. It's really sad and extremely disappointing for everyone but Disney are being very responsible and protecting guests and cast members. I for one am say hats off to them. I am sorry to all who have had to change plans, and I may well be one of those in the future, but at least you are getting your money back or discounted rates instead of free dining. Currently I am have been refused a refund for a rental in Croatia and airport hotel in the UK for a trip we had planned next week. Hopefully travel insurance will cover it but it's a hassle. However I simply value mine and my families health way more than any vacation.

I don't understand who is going to go to WDW as soon as they open. That's just asking to get COVID-19.
I have wrestled with this issue, but I figure it can’t be anymore risky than going to the grocery store or work. I’m in Louisiana, besides New Orleans area, people are still very much out and about, with no apparent jump in cases locally. I think with the proper precautions: masks, hand hygiene, and social distancing to the extent possible, will do the trick. Also, the whole point of shutdowns was to flatten the curve, not necessarily to keep low risk groups from getting the virus. It is envitable that it will work it’s way through the population, even when a vaccine is available, many will refuse to take it. Am I supposed to stay inside my house for the next 2 years? Can’t do it.

The entitlement here is embarrassing, OP you are not the only one who has gone through this.
I'm frustrated at the lack of info myself but I see that disney is working on everything so I will try to have patience.
You should read the small print when you book a trip, Disney can change anything at anytime.
This pandemic is out of everyone's control and disney as well as many other companies lost millions yet you expect price reductions? It's a simple choice of waiting until things are able to be somewhat normal if your concerned about getting your monies worth.
That guest email address I've used twice recently and got responses back with 48 hours. If your not receiving a response yet it likely due to the fact they are absolutely swamped with more important things then dealing with a complaint they can do nothing about at this time.

As I read the back and forth it always amazes me when price and value and fairness enter into the discussion. I am not going to comment on those things here, although I have on other posts. The irony of the situation I guess you could call it is that there are literally hundreds if not thousands of travel/ vacation opportunities out there. And even though I am blessed to live in a place that affords me the opportunity to earn good money and live a standard of life that far exceeds probably 99% of world there are still a ton of opportunities that exceed my ability or comfort level to afford. However when it comes to all things Disney there is an implied belief that it should be affordable to all.

I am not trying to slam anyone's position but when I look at it I see a round the world cruise with a bunch of stops in different parts of the world that I would love to go on with the wife but when two tickets are selling for well over $100k I say "I can't afford that". And for the most part everyone here has that break point where they will admit to themselves that's too much!

Only problem is when discussing Disney, it's never "that's too much" but always that's not fair and it should be more affordable.

**Everyone's** point of view and opinion is valid. Every one of us has a unique perspective of what is a very unusual and stressful situation that's been going on now for a couple of months.

Just by going to Disneyland or WDW, you and all the rest of us are spending "A LOT of money at Disney." This doesn't make you extra special because of all of the money you have spent there.

A LOT of people work on the 'front lines' right now in different roles. Some in healthcare. Some in law enforcement & fire departments. Others in retail locations like pharmacies, grocery stores, big box stores, etc. Delivery drivers like the USPS, UPS, FedEx, Amazon...they're on the 'front lines,' too. Right now, ANY JOB that involves direct contact with the general public is basically working on the 'front lines.' We are ALL appreciative and grateful for those workers. It's very stressful for people working in those situations.

EVERYONE is dealing with changing situations right now all of the time. It's not just you.

ANYONE who is mad, frustrated, angry at Disney over their current travel policies should absolutely voice their concerns & frustrations to that company if they want to. Type out a letter and mail it in. Email them. Call their customer support number. But if you call, don't expect the customer support agent or his/her supervisor to really be able to have much wiggle room to make a special exception for you or anybody else.

Why? Because it's a changing, fluid situation. Because the company, along with EVERY OTHER BUSINESS IN THIS COUNTRY, is doing the best it can right now.

Does being offered and getting booked on a free dining package and then having that free dining taken away suck? TOTALLY! BUT...when you first booked your trip, maybe you didn't have free dining. So in the grand scheme of things, did you really lose ANYTHING? Maybe not. And in the glass is half full point of view, you're pretty darn lucky to be able to afford to go ANYWHERE right now.

A LOT of people have had a lot of plans disrupted, postponed, and cancelled. It's totally frustrating. But right now, honestly, there's not much we can really do about it. For example...

• we were supposed to go to Disneyland in March during our kids' spring break. Just before that trip, YDD got influenza (confirmed w/a formal flu test), so we postponed the trip to Easter weekend.
  • Then corona virus happened. Easter didn't happen. We postponed our plans to the weekend before Memorial Day.
  • Then that changed to "maybe we can go Memorial Day weekend." That didn't happen.
  • Then we hoped to go in early July. I now expect that won't happen. So we moved it to Thanksgiving instead. Frustrating! An Anaheim hotel I booked in early July cancelled my reservation because they're entirely closed.
  • On top of all that, we WERE supposed to go to Hawaii with my sister for the week ending 7/4.
  • You think WDW is frustrating? Try rescheduling Hawaii travel plans right now. ALL of our Hawaii flights got totally screwed up. By the grace of God, my sister was able to move the condo reservation to spring break 2021 with no added cost and no $$ from deposits lost.
  • Right now, you COULD go to Hawaii, but you'd be quarantined in your hotel room or condo for 2 weeks after your arrival. You CANNOT go to a grocery store. You CANNOT leave to go pick up restaurant food to go. Break the rules? You get arrested and face several months in jail and/or a hefty fine.
  • NOW the state of Hawaii is talking about forcing all visitors to get COVID-19 tests 3 days before you arrive. If you refuse, then they give you a rapid test when you land at the airport. Plus, they'll take your temp before you get on the plane and if you have a temp, you don't fly. If you test positive upon arrival, then you and your entire party get to quarantine in your room for the duration of your stay.
Don't like it? Hawaii says, "THEN DON'T COME!" You want to complain about it to somebody in charge? Go for it! Good luck getting anywhere with that. If the testing requirement is still in place come March, we probably won't go and we'll postpone yet again.

Don't like how it is at WDW right now? THEN DON'T GO! It's that simple. By comparison, all of the complaining about WDW's new & updated policies is small potatoes. At least Florida WANTS visitors to come vacation there. Hawaiian residents have started to yell at and harass people on beaches and out at places if you don't look like a local. You're not going to run into that at WDW.

Some people living in other countries aren't allowed to travel outside their country, their province, etc. still. So on a certain level, everybody needs to get a grip and take a chill pill. There's a lot going on right now. Have a little bit of patience.

</end rant>

EVERYONE is dealing with changing situations right now all of the time. It's not just you.

Does being offered and getting booked on a free dining package and then having that free dining taken away suck? TOTALLY! BUT...when you first booked your trip, maybe you didn't have free dining. So in the grand scheme of things, did you really lose ANYTHING? Maybe not. And in the glass is half full point of view, you're pretty darn lucky to be able to afford to go ANYWHERE right now.

ANYONE who is mad, frustrated, angry at Disney over their current travel policies should absolutely voice their concerns & frustrations to that company if they want to. Type out a letter and mail it in. Email them. Call their customer support number. But if you call, don't expect the customer support agent or his/her supervisor to really be able to have much wiggle room to make a special exception for you or anybody else.

Here here, @VandVsmama you laid it all out on the table perfectly.

To the bolded, couldn't agree more. You can be upset and frustrated about how everything went down. You can vent on here, and to whomever you want, but is it really going to change the situation? No, sadly it won't. But maybe getting it off your chest makes you feel better, and I understand that.

However, what I don't get is that I think some on here are expecting something from Disney for canceling the free dining. Yes, it really stinks they rescinded the offer, but they had to given the current situation. How that equates to now Disney owes you something and feeling you should receive extra compensation boggles my mind.

The situation sucks big time, but pretty much so does everything right now! Disney did not bait and switch, nor do they owe anyone, anything. It is another crappy outcome of Covid, plain and simple. Businesses right now are basically "winging it" and think about when they offered the free dining, way back in the beginning of April. I honestly don't think they had any idea the parks would not open until mid July.

Could you imagine people showing up with free dining and not being able to get an ADR on a particular day and not being able to walk up anywhere ? People would be irate over that. So they cancelled all plans. Even paid plans. Honestly in this situation Disney was damned either way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter