JAMBO! The UN-official AKL Thread ~ UPDATED(short film/pg 8 & slideshow/pg 12) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, we're headed to AKL next month. We have ressies for a deluxe savannah room (queen/bunk beds/daybed). We have a child who is a total giraffe fanatic . . . our whole reason we originally chose AKL was so she could watch giraffes first thing in the morning for 9 days. I am a frequent migraine sufferer, and the likelihood that I had to send DH and 3 kids off to the World without me at least one day is fairly high. If I end up under a construction room, I'll be in serious trouble.

What's the best trail/floor/rooms to request?

When you get back next month from your trip will you mind posting how the construction was, we will be going in August and just curious. TIA!!:)

Okay, we're headed to AKL next month. We have ressies for a deluxe savannah room (queen/bunk beds/daybed). We have a child who is a total giraffe fanatic . . . our whole reason we originally chose AKL was so she could watch giraffes first thing in the morning for 9 days. I am a frequent migraine sufferer, and the likelihood that I had to send DH and 3 kids off to the World without me at least one day is fairly high. If I end up under a construction room, I'll be in serious trouble.

What's the best trail/floor/rooms to request?

Zebra Trail, Arusha Savannah. This is the side of the Lodge where the pool and restaurants are located. Deluxe savannah rooms are located on the 5th floor.

Zebra Trail, second or third floor.

That ensures you're not directly underneath any construction (on the 5th floor) and that you're far away from the construction at the end of Kudo trail.

Sorry to quote my own post...but...I just noticed you reserved a DELUXE SAVANNAH view room.

You're going to be on floor 5...that's where all the deluxe rooms are.

It's also the floor all the construction is currently going on. I'm pretty sure you will NOT get a deluxe on Zebra trail, as that's where all the conversions are going on right now. You will likely get one on Kudo trail....to avoid the sites and sounds of construction on the new animal barn, you want to be close to the lobby.

On the construction front, read back a few posts (last page, I think) for more info.

On the room, it's all about value and personal preference. There are PLENTY of "publilc" viewing spots for you to watch the animals scattered throughout the resort. So it's not like having a pool view room will prevent you from seeing the animals. :) You just might have to spend 3 or 4 minutes heading to a spot, rather than just walking out your sliding glass doors to your balcony.

But for me, I prefer the savannah view and see enough value in it to pay (before recently buying into DVC...now we'll just spend more points) the premium to get it. There's something about being able to have your morning coffee, or your evening glass of wine, out on the balcony, watching the animals roam and/or eat that just....I don't know.....it's almost life affirming (yes, I know...it sounds sappy). That being said, we are not theme park commandos (with little kids, now, we can't be!), and we spend a fair bit of time in the room and hanging out at the resort. If you spend little to no time in your room......well, then it might not be worth it to you.

So, ultimately, you have to make the decision. You won't, I don't think, be disappointed with either one. :)

When are the Villa's on the 5th floor going to open? Are they taking ressies?

Thanks

Sorry to quote my own post...but...I just noticed you reserved a DELUXE SAVANNAH view room.

It's also the floor all the construction is currently going on. I'm pretty sure you will NOT get a deluxe on Zebra trail, as that's where all the conversions are going on right now. You will likely get one on Kudo trail....to avoid the sites and sounds of construction on the new animal barn, you want to be close to the lobby.

I had DH call. I told him I'd read in some places that floor 5 was conceirge, and in some places that floor 5 was deluxe. Obviously, if all the deluxe rooms are on 5, they can't stick us IN a room they're converting, so I'd be okay (right? I'm assuming they're closing down a wing at a time to do the conversions). He called and the CM he talked to said (1) all the construction was being done outside the existing building (obviously the CM doesn't know about the 5 and 6th floor conversions) and (2) that the deluxe rooms are all on the 2-4th floors.

DH has decided on the "we'll deal with it when we get there" approach. <sigh> I may have to make some calls and see what I can get worked out.

I had DH call. I told him I'd read in some places that floor 5 was conceirge, and in some places that floor 5 was deluxe. Obviously, if all the deluxe rooms are on 5, they can't stick us IN a room they're converting, so I'd be okay (right? I'm assuming they're closing down a wing at a time to do the conversions). He called and the CM he talked to said (1) all the construction was being done outside the existing building (obviously the CM doesn't know about the 5 and 6th floor conversions) and (2) that the deluxe rooms are all on the 2-4th floors.

DH has decided on the "we'll deal with it when we get there" approach. <sigh> I may have to make some calls and see what I can get worked out.

Was he speaking to CRO? You might have better luck calling the AKL directly if so.

Was he speaking to CRO? You might have better luck calling the AKL directly if so.

Yes, I'm sure he did call CRO. Is 3 weeks out (Oh my goodness, can't believe it's just 3 weeks away!) too far out to call and talk to AKL about specific room requests?

We are at AKL Concierge June 9-14th and I emailed them to ask about construction disturbances during our visit

Here's what they said

We are experiencing some noise in the lobby area and near the rooms that are being worked on. At the time you are coming the Kudu trail will begin construction so I anticipate that during day time hours you may hear some noise if you stay at the resort

Anyone? :confused3

Just wondering but I saw a pool view pic over on another thread and its amazing! They had a view of the pool, savannah, the Flimingoes PLUS EE. Now I no they were on the 5th floor and I know I wont be on the 5th floor, but hoping maybe 3rd or 4th. But anyways, can I request a certain area of rooms. Like Giraffe Trail rooms 3018 - 3032 or 4018 - 4032. I no I can request a certain trail just want sure about getting really specific room numbers. And when it comes to requesting this, should I have my AAA TA add it or should I just contact AKL myself and have them note. If AKL, should I call or fax my request?

Yes, I'm sure he did call CRO. Is 3 weeks out (Oh my goodness, can't believe it's just 3 weeks away!) too far out to call and talk to AKL about specific room requests?

Yes, I think it is too early to request a room at the lodge itself. I was just thinking they could give you a better idea about the location of the deluxe rooms and where the construction will be at that time (although it looks like the post above has already answered the second question). That way you could make your decision and call CRO and have them put it on your reservation, if you wanted to.

I've looked back through this thread, and no one seems to have asked this - so here I go......! We have booked a standard room, what are the best areas / room numbers to request?

Thanks!

Am I going bonkers? Did I read somewhere that the construction should be done by December? Am I making things up? Early stages of Old-timers?

:rotfl: :rotfl2: :lmao: The entire construction both inside and outside and the villas arent supposed to be 100% complete until sometime in 2009. The lobby porition and maybe the conversion of the 5th floor is supposed to be done by Dec but I think thats it.

Am I going bonkers? Did I read somewhere that the construction should be done by December? Am I making things up? Early stages of Old-timers?

Okay...it must have been something about the 5th floor being done by December. Or maybe something about a Universal hotel renovations done by then? I dunno...

Thanks, though.

We'll be at akl concierge June 9-14th - looks like we might have a pool view room

Does anyone have pics of a 6th floor pool view - just curious as to what to expect.

Thank you

It took us over a month to read all 523 pages of this thread (evidently, we really don't have a life).:teeth: We have laughed, cried, and prayed along with you during this time.:grouphug: We have been lurking :surfweb: on this thread and now we are ready to become active members of the Jambo group. We too are a little anxious about the construction at AKL, but we decided that we will just handle it when it comes. We try to not let things like this bother us because we are just happy to be at WDW.

We would have to agree with others that it is very hard to wait for our Deluxe vacation trip. We want to thank you for all your tips, pictures, and reports. :thanks:

I've looked back through this thread, and no one seems to have asked this - so here I go......! We have booked a standard room, what are the best areas / room numbers to request?

Thanks!

I copied the following info about standard rooms (I don't think it was from this thread - I think it came from a thread asking about standard rooms - but I didn't copy the source - sorry!)

Hope it helps! :)

"The other location for the standard rooms is on the Giraffe Trail, facing the front of the resort, too. I believe there is some parking over there, but the main thing is that these rooms hear/see a lot of the bus action, as it's near the bus stop. I would definitely request a room on the Ostrich Trail, over the Giraffe Trail.

I would make it general and just request to NOT be on the 1st floor. Some of those rooms by the bus stop are a bummer. Their balcony is right against the sidewalk (why didn't they plant a buffer). Each morning walking to bus we passed people sitting there reading the paper, we could have reached in and touched them.

Standard rooms are on the Giraffe or Ostrich Trails or lobby rooms.
Giraffe Trail is to the right as you enter the lobby. The bus stop is beyond the far end of the rooms. Anything above the second floor would probably not have bus noise problems. Advantages are this is very close to the busses, restauarants and pool. (even a short cut door into the building so you don't have to walk up the hill in the heat to the lobby.) Disadvantages are there are no animal viewing areas nearby, so you have to make a special trek to see them.
Ostrich trail is to the left as you enter. Standard rooms have parking lot views - though most have a lot of foilage to soften the view. Across the hall are Sunset Savannah view rooms. There are a few animal viewing areas as you walk down the hall to your room. Some rooms seem like a long walk to the busses, but not nearly as long as it would be if you were on the end of the savannah view trails. Rooms are not overly convenient to the pool or restaurants. This probably the quietest area of the resort.

We had a std. room on the Ostrich Trail and it was great! The room was towards the end of the hall on the lobby level (so we didn't need to wait for elevators). Our view was beautiful greenery, no driveways or parking lot. We stopped at the viewing areas in our hallway (I think there were 2) to watch the animals each time we passed by. We requested garden view vs. parking lot view when we made our ressie."

It took us over a month to read all 523 pages of this thread (evidently, we really don't have a life).:teeth: We have laughed, cried, and prayed along with you during this time.:grouphug: We have been lurking :surfweb: on this thread and now we are ready to become active members of the Jambo group. We too are a little anxious about the construction at AKL, but we decided that we will just handle it when it comes. We try to not let things like this bother us because we are just happy to be at WDW.

We would have to agree with others that it is very hard to wait for our Deluxe vacation trip. We want to thank you for all your tips, pictures, and reports. :thanks:

Oh my stars!! You read the whole thing??? WOW!!! I'm impressed!!! :worship:

I think you have the right attitude - it WILL be fine. We'll be there in 5 weeks and will post on this thread when we get home. Can't wait! :hyper:

Question...a WWYD...we are going to be staying at AKL in September and have booked a deluxe concierge room (we have 5 people, so we won't fit in a standard). With all of the construction talk, I am nervous. Not so much about noise (we will be out at the pool, in the lounge or in the parks not just sitting in the room during working hours) or "looks" (I figure they will "hide" it well) but I am concerned with dust/etc in the air. One of our sons has a severe asthma problem and allergies to dust and some chemicals. SO...does anyone know if I can request to be far from the construction and still be in the concierge area of the building? Can I request a deluxe room in another area of the resort? If so, how long of a hike are we talking about? We have stayed at AKL before, but not at the club level.

I don't even know if my questions are making any sense;) :confused: :lmao: BUT... advice from those who have more AKL knowledge would be most appreciated! :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 TIA!!

Could we start another Animal Kingdom thread? 500+ pages is kinda tough on the newer guys isn't it? Just a thought.

By the way I love all the pictures on this thread! I can't wait for my first trip in September!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter