JAMBO! The UN-official AKL Thread ~ UPDATED(short film/pg 8 & slideshow/pg 12) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
There actually is another AKL thread - the AKL FAQ.
Here's the link:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=68312 :)

The funny thing about that thread is when I started posting over there I was told to use this thread because it's more recent. I subscribe to both just in case but it can be a bit confusing. But for me, as long as its about the AKL I don't care if I have to bounce between two threads. We're 26 days 15+ hours and so excited!

We have read both threads in their entirety and this particular thread has more information, pictures, and suggestions. IMHO. I know if you want to read the entire threads, you need the following: time, endurance, :surfweb: and popcorn::

By the end of the threads, my wife was ready to:badpc: and me too.

We have read both threads in their entirety and this particular thread has more information, pictures, and suggestions. IMHO. I know if you want to read the entire threads, you need the following: time, endurance, :surfweb: and popcorn::

By the end of the threads, my wife was ready to:badpc: and me too.

:welcome: JAMBO Tony and Susan! You'll always find something interesting on this thread.

This thread is amazing! I must admit to not having read the whole thing but what I did read convinced my DH and I to switch our reservation from POR to Animal Kingdom :banana: :banana: We've got 2 pool view rooms booked for 8/23 - 9/3 (we'll be doing free dining from 8/26 - 9/3!!!!) and we'll be celebrating our 21st anniversary! We're taking the kids (and a friend) but that's ok with me cause it wouldn't be Disney without my kids plus they're all old enough that DH and I can go off on our own if need be :rolleyes1 I REALLLLLY wanted to book Savannah View but since we needed 2 rooms it was more $$$ than hubby would go for LOL At least I convinced him to go with the Pool View! I'm sooooo excited, this will be our first time at AKL...I've always wanted to stay there. I don't even care about the construction :lmao: I'm just happy to be going to the Lodge at last!

Just wanted to share my joy & excitement!

Gottalovedisney,

Jambo to the AKL Thread! You'll be so glad that you switched to the AKL.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. There are so many AKL experts here.

Question...a WWYD...we are going to be staying at AKL in September and have booked a deluxe concierge room (we have 5 people, so we won't fit in a standard). With all of the construction talk, I am nervous. Not so much about noise (we will be out at the pool, in the lounge or in the parks not just sitting in the room during working hours) or "looks" (I figure they will "hide" it well) but I am concerned with dust/etc in the air. One of our sons has a severe asthma problem and allergies to dust and some chemicals. SO...does anyone know if I can request to be far from the construction and still be in the concierge area of the building? Can I request a deluxe room in another area of the resort? If so, how long of a hike are we talking about? We have stayed at AKL before, but not at the club level.

I don't even know if my questions are making any sense;) :confused: :lmao: BUT... advice from those who have more AKL knowledge would be most appreciated! :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 TIA!!

We will be there in September too, and we are also concerned about the same thing as both myself and my DS have asthma, but my nephew has severe uncontrolled asthma, so naturally my sister is more concerned about this. Anyone hear anything about construction dust or chemicals? This is probably a concern for more than just us! :confused3

This thread is amazing! I must admit to not having read the whole thing but what I did read convinced my DH and I to switch our reservation from POR to Animal Kingdom :banana: :banana: We've got 2 pool view rooms booked for 8/23 - 9/3 (we'll be doing free dining from 8/26 - 9/3!!!!) and we'll be celebrating our 21st anniversary! We're taking the kids (and a friend) but that's ok with me cause it wouldn't be Disney without my kids plus they're all old enough that DH and I can go off on our own if need be :rolleyes1 I REALLLLLY wanted to book Savannah View but since we needed 2 rooms it was more $$$ than hubby would go for LOL At least I convinced him to go with the Pool View! I'm sooooo excited, this will be our first time at AKL...I've always wanted to stay there. I don't even care about the construction :lmao: I'm just happy to be going to the Lodge at last!

Just wanted to share my joy & excitement!

I just was wondering how you booked a pool view I am also going the same time and was advised that no pool view was available w/free dining during that time. Please let me know I am really trying to change my room. I just want to get a pool view room and if I was lied to about availability than I am going to write quest relations and complain. I was one of the first to call on the 12Th and should of had my pick of rooms but the cm was so rude. please let me know TIA

I just was wondering how you booked a pool view I am also going the same time and was advised that no pool view was available w/free dining during that time. Please let me know I am really trying to change my room. I just want to get a pool view room and if I was lied to about availability than I am going to write quest relations and complain. I was one of the first to call on the 12Th and should of had my pick of rooms but the cm was so rude. please let me know TIA

Hi Tonnie...to be honest I just got lucky :confused3 I originally booked 2 standard rooms at POR on the 12th, I too was on the phone first thing in the morning....I realllly wanted AKL but at that time I didn't think DH would go for it so I didn't even bother checking so I'm not sure if they had any availability at AKL for those dates...then that night hubby said I should have booked AKL like I wanted (darn those indecisive hubbys! :rotfl: ) Of course when I called the next morning AKL was sold out...I kept checking online every day, sometimes a few dozen times a day and kept coming up with nothing available at AKL...then on Wednesday low & behold they not only had standard rooms but pool view as well! I literally RAN to the phone and called Disney and was able to switch over...so it's very possible when you called on the 12th they were sold out but keep trying and keep checking, I'm proof that rooms do open up! Sending lots of pixie dust that you're able to get the pool view room! Maybe we'll run into each other during our trip :grouphug:

I am so stressed about the construction going on. Both of our ds's are on the autistic spectrum and they may have a hard time with the noise. While we absolutely love AKL, I'm thinking of switching. Our kids MUST have afternoon breaks just for some quiet time. The sound of loud construction would make that unbearable for them!

I just checked online and there's a pool view room available 8/27 - 9/3, not sure if that works for your dates or not but i just wanted to let you know!

Thanks for the pixie dust. I hope I do see you. We will be in on the 27th until 9/3. I will be the one with enough luggage to stay the month.

Congratulations on 21 years!!! You will have a great time. We stayed for our belated honeymoon and got hooked. Now I am traveling with the kids and they are so excited. I am going to call everyday to get my room changed so thanks for the advice..

I just checked online and there's a pool view room available 8/27 - 9/3, not sure if that works for your dates or not but i just wanted to let you know!

Thanks those are our exact dates.. did you check online under the free dining link or just disneyworld.com:cool1:

I just checked and it is available. What should I do? Would you book online and cancel existing ressie or call and complain? I honestly don't think they ever check for me because for some reason the first CM noted my account that I couldn't have a pool view he totally screwed up my reservation. I called in the next day and get him again!!!:mad:

He was really rude for no reason. I asked him for a non-smoking room due to medical reasons and you would of thought I asked him for a kidney.
UPDATE:

I just called this morning and asked again and it was available. I didnt even have to mention online booking she said alot of rooms were available. Makes me wonder because I called sunday night after 9pm and nothing was available. Maybe some people lost their ressies. Thanks again

I just checked and it is available. What should I do? Would you book online and cancel existing ressie or call and complain? I honestly don't think they ever check for me because for some reason the first CM noted my account that I couldn't have a pool view he totally screwed up my reservation. I called in the next day and get him again!!!:mad:

He was really rude for no reason. I asked him for a non-smoking room due to medical reasons and you would of thought I asked him for a kidney.

I would book the room online and then cancel my existing ressie, that way you're guaranteed you're getting what you want. You could certainly still send a letter regarding the rude CM, there's no reason for that! Good luck!

When are the Villa's on the 5th floor going to open? Are they taking ressies?

Thanks

There's new info saying there will be a few units opening, for points booking, in July. Previously, we were all told September first...and it seem a larger pool of rooms IS opening on Sept 1 (with more to follow in December and completeion scheduled for May of '08).

The villas will be available for booking for OWNERS at AKV on May 16th. For all DVC members who do NOT own AKV points, the rumor is June 6th, though I haven't seen any confirmation from DVC/DVD on that. Maybe someone else has...

I'm not sure WHEN CRO will begin taking cash ressies for those rooms. I haven't heard anything on that front...

I had DH call. I told him I'd read in some places that floor 5 was conceirge, and in some places that floor 5 was deluxe. Obviously, if all the deluxe rooms are on 5, they can't stick us IN a room they're converting, so I'd be okay (right? I'm assuming they're closing down a wing at a time to do the conversions). He called and the CM he talked to said (1) all the construction was being done outside the existing building (obviously the CM doesn't know about the 5 and 6th floor conversions) and (2) that the deluxe rooms are all on the 2-4th floors.

DH has decided on the "we'll deal with it when we get there" approach. <sigh> I may have to make some calls and see what I can get worked out.

Not to besmirtch CRO, but.....all deluxe rooms are on the 5th floor. Standard rooms are on floors 2 - 6. That's the way it's always been, so....

As for the construction only being outside the building, again, it seems CRO isn't particularly well informed. I'd call the actual front desk of AKL (407-938-3000) because it seems that those manning the phones are not very up to date with their information.

They are closing down a wing at a time, so you'll likely be put out on Kudo trail....That's why I suggested requesting a room close to the lobby...because at the END of Kudo trail is where they're building the new animal barn..which means being exposed to construction noise.

Am I going bonkers? Did I read somewhere that the construction should be done by December? Am I making things up? Early stages of Old-timers?

Zebra and Kudo trail are supposed to be complete by December.

Which leaves the rooms surrounding the lobby, ostrich and giraffe trail to be completed by May of '08.

The new building, across the sunset savannah from the main lodge (approx 1/4 mile away in most places) isn't due to be completed until '09, and probably will start construction late this year or early next.

Question...a WWYD...we are going to be staying at AKL in September and have booked a deluxe concierge room (we have 5 people, so we won't fit in a standard). With all of the construction talk, I am nervous. Not so much about noise (we will be out at the pool, in the lounge or in the parks not just sitting in the room during working hours) or "looks" (I figure they will "hide" it well) but I am concerned with dust/etc in the air. One of our sons has a severe asthma problem and allergies to dust and some chemicals. SO...does anyone know if I can request to be far from the construction and still be in the concierge area of the building? Can I request a deluxe room in another area of the resort? If so, how long of a hike are we talking about? We have stayed at AKL before, but not at the club level.

I don't even know if my questions are making any sense;) :confused: :lmao: BUT... advice from those who have more AKL knowledge would be most appreciated! :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 TIA!!

It's hard to say. I can say that I was at the contemp during the room remodels and never noticed any kind of dust, smells, etc in the tower. That being said, in this case they're doing wall demo, etc, so....

The funny thing about that thread is when I started posting over there I was told to use this thread because it's more recent. I subscribe to both just in case but it can be a bit confusing. But for me, as long as its about the AKL I don't care if I have to bounce between two threads. We're 26 days 15+ hours and so excited!

I bounce back and forth between threads too.

You must be so excited to get out of WNY! Although fiance says it's getting nice up there, but the last few weeks have been miserable, I hear. It's been absolutely beautiful here this past few weeks...we'll try and keep it that way for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter