July 28, 2007 - "Rome-ancing the Mouse Cruisers" -11 days! Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
JUST FOUND THIS FORUM, WE BOOKED UP 2 WEEKS AGO FOR THE CRUISE:woohoo: , THERE ARE 7 OF US TRAVELLING, MY WIFE ALLISON, DAUGHTER EMILY 9:cheer2: AND SON ZAK 6pirate: , MY FATHER AND HIS WIFE AND THEIR GRANDAUGTHER CHLOE 12:cheer2: . OH AND ME I'M IAN BY THE WAY!! WE ALL LIVE NEAR BEVERLEY IN EAST YORKSHIRE,UK

WE TRAVEL TO BARCELONA ON THE 26TH JULY FORM HETHROW.

YOU HAVE ALL BEEN BUSY WRITING HUNDREDS OF PAGES ON THIS FORUM, NOT HAD CHANCE TO READ THEM ALL, IS THERE ANYTHING IMPORTANT WE NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE CRUISE?

Hi Ian!

Welcome to the DIS & welcome to our cruise. Some of us have met on other cruises, some of us have met in small get-togethers (called meets), and others, like me, have only met virtually here in this forum (soon to be rectified in a little over 2 weeks).

On the first page, first post, you'll see links to an excel sheet with our names (those of us who shared), cabins we're in, etc., link to a powerpoint with deck plans showing what cabins we're in, and a link to a word document that has a packing list. Also on the first page, you'll see posts by Andrew Derek UK that has a lot of info about us - who we are with pictures, excursions we're going on, get-togethers (called meets), and more information.

I think it's safe to say that we're looking to make friends on this cruise, and make it a most memorable experience, so just jump in - a lot of people have excellent tips, friendly advice, humor, and friendship that they, errr, we... are eager to share. :)

Here is a summary of things we've discussed (most assuredly incomplete, but here goes)

Lime green: Official color of the DIS. People use ribbons, Mickey paint chips (Home Depot), t-shirts, etc., in lime green to recognize each other (this is done at parks and cruises

Recommendations:
* Lime green ribbons: Put lime green ribbons or have something lime green during Cruise and at meets prior to cruise (AnnaS - Anna)
* Glow necklaces: Preferred color lime green, however, any color would work - to wear when we meet Friday night and when we go to the Sailaway Party on Saturday night . (salliep - Sallie)
* Local gift bag worth $15-$20 with something from your area - to be exchanged at DIS meet (one per DISer/Family)... If you just want to come to the meet and not exchange a grab bag - that is fine! The idea is for us to get together and meet each other, and develop that friendship that makes going on a cruise even more special
* Decorate doors with artwork, images, etc., that will make your stateroom unique. No tape, however, doors are metal, so magnetic sheets are fine. Eeyorelvr10 had idea to have a plastic sleeve protector & attach magnets to it, then just put your decorated sheet of paper in it. MrsJobba1 is going to laminate hers. Some have shared their creations on this thread.
* Fish extenders outside staterooms
* Small, nominal gifts for fish extenders (optional & gifts can be anything - just for fun)

Here are a couple of samples what a fish extender looks like. Some people have been able to find these at the local dollar store, some people are making them. I got a couple of 6" canvas bags that I'm going to attach one on top of the other & we'll decorate & hang from the fish outside the stateroom door. (Different, but I couldn't find anything like the pics below & I'm not very creative)

SSMC05door.jpg

100_0406.jpg

DIS Meet: Sunday, Promenade Lounge (Deck 3) at 09:30
Group Picture: TBD (Suggestions: At DIS Meet, Pirate Night, or Last night of cruise)

Photos of fellow DISers cruising: Page 529, Post 7933 (disneylover5 - Lisa)
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=19165821&postcount=7933
Photos are also on Page 1, Post 12

Thank you Lisa, for compiling them, and Andrew for putting them on first page, as well as reorganizing first page

Lanyards: To be handed out prior to the cruise & during the DIS meet (Kyla - Jeanne)
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=19168700&postcount=7950

Nametags for the lanyards (disneylover5 - Lisa)
Lisa updates this list as she gets new information

Meet before the cruise
* Meet at the Magic Fountain for the 22:30 show.
.... http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/albums-en/magic-fountains-montjuic/
* Drink (or two) at the Grand Marina hotel near the ship before the Magic Fountain meet. Suggestion to meet in Grand Marina Lobby at 19:30
.... http://www.grandmarinahotel.com/eng/index.html
.... http://www.venere.com/hotel/?htid=131756&action=location&lg=en&tripref=34989
* Click to see info on 4Cats dinner and magic fountain meet. Reservations aren't going to be made - meet at the restaurant at 19:45. It opens at 20:00 (or 8pm) This a restaurant that Picasso used to frequent & he designed the first menu.
.... http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...postcount=7160

List of Pirates (Andrew the Pirate Keeper)
There are several posts with the list, but you can find a good list at post #11469
(btw: WMRegina gave me that weebles wobble tag - she would laugh at knowing that is my pirate name)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1064311&page=765http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1064311&page=586http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1064311&page=581http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1064311&page=535

Important components of the Packing List (Sandaneli - Sandra... made after weeks of ideas pouring out)

List of things to do:
*Make fish extender, buy fabric, figure out pattern actually sew
*Make door decoration, buy magnet, download pictures or "scrapbook" image somehow put image on magnet, test magnet with image attached
*Buy green glow necklaces
*Buy lime green ribbons to tie on clothes
*Buy extra TP to start rolling. Let's see 2 people times 6 shore visits = at least 12 rolls, then there is the supply for those not bringing or rolling
*Purchase/make or otherwise acquire hundreds of things for fish extender disboard gifts.
*Purchase extra luggage for said fish extender gifts
*Get part time job to pay for hundreds of fish extender gifts and overweight luggage charges.
*Purchase 2-4 white tshirts and iron on transfer sheets for printer to make 2 tshirts to wear on cruise to be identified by other dissers. (extra shirts are for mistakes)
*Make tshirts and then make them again when the first ones don't come out because I will have forgotten to reverse the printing. (I know me).
*Locate and purchase items of local interest for grab/swap at DisMeet.
*Print out family photos, coordinate with names and make booklet with names matched to faces so I don't totally blow it and call people by the wrong names.

Here are some documents that you might be useful:

Hopefully the attached lists & such are updated, if not, please post or send me a pm with your info, and I will add it.

Cruise Packing List (MS Word)
http://www.maryjomellado.com/Cruise_Packing_List.doc

List of DISers going on Med Cruise -we're up to over 270 people (MS Excel)
http://www.maryjomellado.com/MedMagicCruisingList.xls

Deck Plans with staterooms marked that have DISers in them (MS Powerpoint)
http://www.maryjomellado.com/MedCabins.ppt

Calendar with Ports, etc. (MS Powerpoint)
http://www.maryjomellado.com/calendar_vacation_spain2007.ppt

Map of Mediterranean & cruise route - animated (MS Powerpoint)
http://www.maryjomellado.com/MedCruise2007_DIS.pps

Other Notes:
JoAnn, I mean, Captain Provider, will be providing TP rolls to those who sign up. I imagine her stateroom will look something like this when she unpacks:
Toilet_Paper.jpg

peb30024.jpg

paper_lg.jpg

And we'll be well prepared for any church, right?
mummy.jpg

(This actually reminds me of the time that I got the bright idea to dress my ds as a mummy for Halloween when he was in 3rd grade (I think). I wrapped him up in toilet paper, and when I ran out, I used paper towels. I'll never forget the image of him sitting in the car on the way to school with his arms sticking out (think of the little brother in his snow suit in the movie "A Christmas Story"), and then shaking his head and saying, "I'm not very happy," with tears in his eyes. OMGosh, I felt like such a terrible mommy!! I called work & told them we had a domestic issue I had to take care of, and then went to the store & bought a ton of gauze. I dressed him up, and of course, as the day wore on, the gauze was falling off -- he got the award at school for the best homemade costume. He ended up a happy little boy that day... but the image of him sitting in my car w/paper ripping everytime he moved... it's really funny ....... now)

SPACE RESERVED FOR TP ROLLERS & TP BRINGERS

I see that they've heard we'll be in Italy and are preparing the artwork just for us.

11450creation1.jpg

I did call them late this morning and told them the situation. They are telling the kids and then coming home early to spend some time with him before they take him to see the vet late tomorrow. He's been failing for some time and the vet told them there was nothing more he could do so they have expected this but didn't think it was going to happen so soon. I know how hard it is to make the decision to let go of a beloved pet.

Sandra,

I just want to extend my sympathy for your friends. Last vacation I was on in December my cat came home with a slashed abdomen. Now he's a very expensive tabby cat - but I was very lucky to have someone look over him while we were gone and take good care of him. Even if he passes away when you are not there - the kindness you are showing now is surely felt and appreciated. I'm always amazed and the complexity of my dog's emotions and her capacity to love and feel. I know that I would want to be called if anything happens to my girl. I'm glad they have you and your family to look after him.

I'm danfromca's sister btw - been too swamped trying to finish work so that I can get away for vacation. Looking forward to meeting all of you.

Roan

JUST FOUND THIS FORUM, WE BOOKED UP 2 WEEKS AGO FOR THE CRUISE:woohoo: , THERE ARE 7 OF US TRAVELLING, MY WIFE ALLISON, DAUGHTER EMILY 9:cheer2: AND SON ZAK 6pirate: , MY FATHER AND HIS WIFE AND THEIR GRANDAUGTHER CHLOE 12:cheer2: . OH AND ME I'M IAN BY THE WAY!! WE ALL LIVE NEAR BEVERLEY IN EAST YORKSHIRE,UK

YOU HAVE ALL BEEN BUSY WRITING HUNDREDS OF PAGES ON THIS FORUM, NOT HAD CHANCE TO READ THEM ALL, IS THERE ANYTHING IMPORTANT WE NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE CRUISE?

Hello Ian, Glad yo made it over here. I'm sure that you'll settle in really quickly. Be warned there are an awful lot of chatterboxes here so you need to keep sprinting to keep up :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: WELCOME!!!:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

"When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable."
--Clifton Fadiman

Hello and Welcome !!!! I thought I would would let you know about the kids gift bag swap if you have the time and would like to join in!!!! Its coming up in the:) :) next post!!

I will post this a few times for those who missed the original posts:

Children's gift bags
..... If you would like your child to participate in the kid gift bag exchange, please send me a PM as well post here if you like. I am going to match up girls and boys as close to their ages as possible. So, please send names and ages.
It will be $15-20.00 dollars- one gift per child, those who have more than one child, if this is too much, please let me know and we will change it to 10.00 dollars, although here in the US, 10.00 will not get you much!

I must have all names by Thursday July 12th, as many would like to start shopping. I will PM everyone with their matches Friday. I was asked if the kids gift bags need to be location specific. I do not think so, do the best you can, its the thought that counts!!!

so far we have:

Carley 13 (Sallie)
Alice 12 (Andrew)
Stephen (Andrew)
Ethan 9 (Izzi)
Joshua 11 (Izzi)
Kylie 10 (Diane- 4kittymagic )
Madelynne-8 (Brian)
Elizabeth, 8 ( bridegirl- suzy)
Hunter, (boy), 8 ( bridegirl- suzy)
Julia, 5 ( bridegirl- suzy)
Dash (boy), 5 ( bridegirl- suzy)
Serena, 2 1/2 ( bridegirl- suzy)
Alex Turner 11 (boy)
Meredith Turner 5 (girl)
Ben 10 Iowazipcode
Emily 13 Iowazipcode

Sandra,

I just want to extend my sympathy for your friends. Last vacation I was on in December my cat came home with a slashed abdomen. Now he's a very expensive tabby cat - but I was very lucky to have someone look over him while we were gone and take good care of him. Even if he passes away when you are not there - the kindness you are showing now is surely felt and appreciated. I'm always amazed and the complexity of my dog's emotions and her capacity to love and feel. I know that I would want to be called if anything happens to my girl. I'm glad they have you and your family to look after him.

I'm danfromca's sister btw - been too swamped trying to finish work so that I can get away for vacation. Looking forward to meeting all of you.

Roan

Roan,
Thank you so much for your kind words. Everyone here has been so thoughtful and supportive. Good luck trying to get everything done so you can enjoy your trip. You're not alone many of us are feeling crunched right now with so much to do and so little time. The post counts have really dwindled from 20 pages per day down to maybe 3 or 4. It's easier to keep up with now.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone as well, even though it seems like so many of us know each other already.

Thanks again,
Sandra

Welcome,
Beware this board is addictive and a lot of fun.

Sandra

Congrats, Julie!!!

Ok, this sounds really good for me, could you give us the website address???

I tried at both cafepress and zazzle and got rejected by both for "copyright issues".

Has anyone else found an online place to make the shirts?

I would love to but I'm afraid I wont have time to iron on or go in person.

Thanks for the info and thanks to you Dan for the idea of going to the mall and trying. I may do this today.

Sandra,

Roan

Hello Roan, it's nice to meet you. And welcome Homeruk!!

Maryann

HI Maryann
I just PMd you!!!! Let me know where you are going to get the shirts from and I will do it too!!!

Welcome!! If you have any questions, just ask. Most likely someone here has the answer or can point you in the right direction. If you start to panic, just come on here for moral support!!! Looking forward to meeting you.

Sandra,

Roan

Hi Roan, Good to meet you. There is a group of us having a private brunch on Aug 3rd in Palo. (Just in case your brother has'nt told you)!! I will post that information again soon as a reminder. See you soon...

Just came across this website. Disney is one of their customers. I put my order through so now I will just wait and see. It could be that because Disney is one of their customers (it says it right on the site), the copywrite issue was not a problem.

http://artapart.com/

Good luck!

Maryann

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: Glad to have you with us! It looks like you already have been given a good summary of events. We will be looking forward to meeting your family very soon!:dance3:

Just came across this website. Disney is one of their customers. I put my order through so now I will just wait and see. It could be that because Disney is one of their customers (it says it right on the site), the copywrite issue was not a problem.

http://artapart.com/

Good luck!

Maryann

Thanks, Maryann I checked this out and I ordered a shirt. I hope it comes before we leave. We are going to try some iron-on ones too.

I found a neat web site yesterday to check weather in advance for some of our ports:http://www.visiteurope.com/ccm/vacation/weather/?nav_cat=260&lang=en_US

Harold Ann,
thanks for the weather website. Looks like its still raining in London. I leave for London in 12 days!

How much did the Tshirt cost to order?

Don't know how I'm ever going to catch up. I'm starting to panic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter