Just back, DAS return time

Status
Not open for further replies.
This again is where I disagree with you. I don’t believe guests that need the DAS accommodation are having a superior experience in comparison to the average guest.

I think that it would come down to the nature of their issue. There probably are those who will have a better experience. There will also be those that, even if you give them instant access to every ride, will still, in their minds, have a lesser experience. Again, it all comes down to how a person chooses to see their experience. You will have those that can only do 1/2 days and then need to go and rest to get the strength up for the next day, but still consider their trip a success and have a great time. Conversely, there may be someone who has no issues and gets to go and dozens of rides but still feels like they did not get to do what they wanted. A trip to WDW is what you make of it. You can choose to look at the positive or just see the negative. And not every day or trip will be the best trip ever, this is true for everyone. I am not able to go on all rides, especially those with longer wait times because I can not wait in line that long. I spend most of my trips walking around Epcot and AK, eating, and hanging out at the resorts. I do very few rides while there. But I still consider my trips to be amazing because, let's face it, a week at WDW is still better then a week at work. If you show up there already with the attitude that you are getting a "less then" experience, then you probably will.

I'd like to comment on the issue raised about all of the excessive walking while waiting for a DAS return time. This applies to groups with and without a DAS. In general, we tour by area meaning we stay in an area and see everything we want before moving on. This can involve using FP+, standby and dining. With the amount of walking typically done in a day, saving excess steps this way has made our trips a little less exhausting. So to the PP, if you have a DAS for SM and want to ride something during your wait time, try Carousel of Progress, Buzz, Monsters, Inc. or other things in closer proximity. There is no way I would ever do SM, then Splash and then come back to Buzz.

I'd like to comment on the issue raised about all of the excessive walking while waiting for a DAS return time. This applies to groups with and without a DAS. In general, we tour by area meaning we stay in an area and see everything we want before moving on. This can involve using FP+, standby and dining. With the amount of walking typically done in a day, saving excess steps this way has made our trips a little less exhausting. So to the PP, if you have a DAS for SM and want to ride something during your wait time, try Carousel of Progress, Buzz, Monsters, Inc. or other things in closer proximity. There is no way I would ever do SM, then Splash and then come back to Buzz.
I personally agree there, but my point has been there are some people who still have to do more walking because of the DAS system due the nature of their issues and that this can be solved by allowing them to get return times from the app and wouldn't introduce more abuse. Alternatively having kiosks/CMs throughout the park giving return times could also help them. I am not saying that this is an issue for all, but I am pointing out a deficiency in the system. For me it does t affect much personally at Disney World since these days I havehto use an ECVEand rent from Gold Mobility, so the battery lasts with all of the extra back and forth and then Disneyland's system is so much more efficient (just like their FP system) than Disney Worlds that it isn't an issue there because they thought it through and managed a way to avoid issues.

But for those that think needing to go to the attraction for a return time isnt an issue, consider this: A single parent brings their kid to the parks and the child is on the Autistic spectrum. Due to issues they have, it is safer for everyone if they wait away from the crowds. But as soon as the child see the ride they expect to ride and perhaps they can't understand the concept they will have to come back, so they have a melt down. This is easily avoidable if they could have gotten a return time from the app or from another location, but the current system at Disney World would cause issues in this case (aside possibly from Magic Kingdom with this new Guest Relations team).

There are many more examples out there about how having to go the attraction to get a return time is not the wisest way to handle it, but this should hopefully give some an idea.

If you explain your needs to the CM, they will take you through the alternate entrance, although you may have to enter the shrinking room (after everyone else has done so) and exit back out through the hallway, but they do this with service dogs because the ride must be stopped for the safety of the service dog and they have to load from back there.

Many of the other attractions still do have alternative entrances if you are insistent on needing to use them, but you need to explain why you need them, some of these are:
  • Rockin Roller Coaster
  • Tower of Terror
  • Buzz
  • Test Track
  • Finding Nemo

Thanks for this but I was told point blank there wasn't another option last time and when I said I had used one previously was actually told I was lying! It was the oddest conversation I'd had. I think a lot depends on the CM there but since then I've just not ridden the ride as I'm too paniced about it. I use the Nemo one all the time as the walkway is too dark for me to get around and the CMs there always seem happy to walk me around to the other entrance. I may try again in May at Haunted Mansion if everyone is going on it just to see if they will be more accomadating as I think last time I tried was back in 2017.

I only actually use DAS on one or two rides where I know I'll have issues and I'm happy to queue or use FPs for the others. I actually think the system works well from my point of view but then I can also see how others find it awkward. I don't think there is an ideal system however and the old one used to be abused so much. I just wish there was a way that my annual pass could be marked up permanently as having to go back on every trip to explain again is just time consuming or at least put it in a different area so you don't have to queue with people who are waiting to make dining reservations or the other myriad of things they do at guest services. It just seems to take forever.

people keep on talking about how much walking there is with the DAS sorry I do not buy this for the most part and I am someone that has medical needs and I go alone 95% of the time. But think of how much less walking you do by using the FP lines some of the stands by lines have so many cross back it is unreal ( finding Nemo at epcot 7DMT at MK and so on) I do not hear the people that are complaining of having to get a return time find something to. do close by ( get something to eat, do another attraction rest use the bathroom go shopping most of this can be done close by) The average guest also has to plan there day if they want to avoid the extra walking they might have a small child that has to use the bathroom right after they pass one I do think there are some time where getting a return time somewhere other then the ride is good ( like I have been saying some kids with ASD) but I do not think anyone should get a return time for space motion over by BTMRR but maybe be allowed to get it somewhere closer ( like the FP kiosk they have in tomorrow land.

we can go back and forth all day but none of use are CM that decided how the DAS should be used and more than likely the CM that does decide how it should be used does not use it, If something is not working for you if you think Disney can do better then I would stop in to GR and let them know, Email Disney and let them know as I do not think they will read this thread

no one that goes to Disney will have the perfect trip ( ok maybe someone with a VIP tour) but the vast majority of people will be very tired from walking all day tired of standing all day, over stimulated ( even though without SPD) form being around all the stimulation. people will get way to hot stay in the parkway too long and get very tired ok see no one has the perfect vacation the DAS is to make it more equal to leave the playing field not make going to Disney perfect because really how has the perfect vacation at Disney anyways ( well without paying for a VIP tour the whole time you are their and staying for longer than a week)

I personally agree there, but my point has been there are some people who still have to do more walking because of the DAS system due the nature of their issues and that this can be solved by allowing them to get return times from the app and wouldn't introduce more abuse. Alternatively having kiosks/CMs throughout the park giving return times could also help them. I am not saying that this is an issue for all, but I am pointing out a deficiency in the system. For me it does t affect much personally at Disney World since these days I havehto use an ECVEand rent from Gold Mobility, so the battery lasts with all of the extra back and forth and then Disneyland's system is so much more efficient (just like their FP system) than Disney Worlds that it isn't an issue there because they thought it through and managed a way to avoid issues.

But for those that think needing to go to the attraction for a return time isnt an issue, consider this: A single parent brings their kid to the parks and the child is on the Autistic spectrum. Due to issues they have, it is safer for everyone if they wait away from the crowds. But as soon as the child see the ride they expect to ride and perhaps they can't understand the concept they will have to come back, so they have a melt down. This is easily avoidable if they could have gotten a return time from the app or from another location, but the current system at Disney World would cause issues in this case (aside possibly from Magic Kingdom with this new Guest Relations team).

There are many more examples out there about how having to go the attraction to get a return time is not the wisest way to handle it, but this should hopefully give some an idea.

Except for people that have to go to First Aid to deal with medical issues, no one with a DAS has to walk more than anyone else. If they allowed DAS return times via the app but added 30 minutes or more to the standby time to account for more walking time would that work?

Except for people that have to go to First Aid to deal with medical issues, no one with a DAS has to walk more than anyone else. If they allowed DAS return times via the app but added 30 minutes or more to the standby time to account for more walking time would that work?

Now that is an interesting question. Curious to hear the responses.

The lawyers at Disney can’t spend all of their time thinking about every single possible scenario and then turning DAS into something that will address every scenario. Some responsibility for a guests enjoyment must fall on the guest. My non verbal autistic nephew is indeed one of those types who would a severe meltdown at a ride entrance. So his parents have chosen other family vacations that allow him to participate without incident

At that point, I’d be just using FP+. Prebook three then grab additional as necessary. An extra half hour wait, in or out of a line isn’t worth it to most people I would think

The lawyers at Disney can’t spend all of their time thinking about every single possible scenario and then turning DAS into something that will address every scenario. Some responsibility for a guests enjoyment must fall on the guest. My non verbal autistic nephew is indeed one of those types who would a severe meltdown at a ride entrance. So his parents have chosen other family vacations that allow him to participate without incident

My 13yo very high functioning, autistic niece is mainstreamed in school, takes taekwondo, piano lessons, and has been in various junior league sports like soccer and takes care of herself physically. But WDW is just too much for her. They have gone twice over the years and her parents have decided that although she does enjoy many aspects of going, it is still too much stress, too many sites, sounds, and stimulation for her. There are many local activities that they can enjoy together as a family that does not put as much stress on them all.

I don't understand why you would add for walking time? Disneyland doesn't do this when you get a return time at a kiosk, how is getting it from the app any different, other than you don't have to take a CMs time, meaning Disney can save a bit of money.

I don't understand why you would add for walking time? Disneyland doesn't do this when you get a return time at a kiosk, how is getting it from the app any different, other than you don't have to take a CMs time, meaning Disney can save a bit of money.

I made the suggestion because a PP wanted to use the app since it took so long to walk to a ride. Others objected because everyone has to walk to the ride for standby and using the app for DAS without adding extra time would give them a time advantage over other standby riders, something DAS is not intended to do.

I have been following this thread and trying to see everone's point of view. A quick background. I am the parent of a 19 year old who has been using the DAS system and prior to it the GAC. We mostly use FPP and maybe 1 to 2 DAS per park day. Over the years my son's tolerance levels for waiting as increased. He can handle 30 minute waits and sometimes he is even able to handle up to 1 ride at a 50 minute wait. Lately due to cutbacks, even during low crowd times most rides are now easily over 50 minute waits each, which he wouldn't be able to tolerate due to his disabilities. He is prone to mental exhaustion a result of his disabilities, this can develop into difficuities focusing on tasks and directions, which can lead to meltdowns. So we try to limit his rides and spread them over two park days each. Even now at his age he still has a difficult time grasping how the DAS system works and doesn't like having to walk away from the ride. I understand that people look at having DAS on MDE would give a time advantage. But that would be very rare. It take 12 minutes to walk from Splash Mountain to Buzz Lightyear at a regular walking pace. ( I personally timed this). It takes 5 minutes for a cast member to set up the DAS return. Sometimes longer if there are people ahead of you that are waiting to be helped by the cast member at the enterance. Having a kiosk available where a DAS can be assigned for that land only would be an idea that would address both the caregivers that have children who don't understand why they are not going on a ride and it would address the issues of people thinking it would be a time advantage, since they could only have DAS assigned for the rides in that area.

I made the suggestion because a PP wanted to use the app since it took so long to walk to a ride. Others objected because everyone has to walk to the ride for standby and using the app for DAS without adding extra time would give them a time advantage over other standby riders, something DAS is not intended to do.
But they don't have to walk to the ride, then walk elsewhere, say rest room, first aid, what have you, which can be quite far from the ride, while waiting. That is my point about why using the app to get a return time should be allowed and why an extra wait shouldn't be necessary. As I said it really isn't any different than the kiosk system at Disneyland, other than not needing to take up a CMs time. Letting them book a return .Time through the app would give no advantage over the current system, other than to reduce some extra walking.

I have been following this thread and trying to see everone's point of view. A quick background. I am the parent of a 19 year old who has been using the DAS system and prior to it the GAC. We mostly use FPP and maybe 1 to 2 DAS per park day. Over the years my son's tolerance levels for waiting as increased. He can handle 30 minute waits and sometimes he is even able to handle up to 1 ride at a 50 minute wait. Lately due to cutbacks, even during low crowd times most rides are now easily over 50 minute waits each, which he wouldn't be able to tolerate due to his disabilities. He is prone to mental exhaustion a result of his disabilities, this can develop into difficuities focusing on tasks and directions, which can lead to meltdowns. So we try to limit his rides and spread them over two park days each. Even now at his age he still has a difficult time grasping how the DAS system works and doesn't like having to walk away from the ride. I understand that people look at having DAS on MDE would give a time advantage. But that would be very rare. It take 12 minutes to walk from Splash Mountain to Buzz Lightyear at a regular walking pace. ( I personally timed this). It takes 5 minutes for a cast member to set up the DAS return. Sometimes longer if there are people ahead of you that are waiting to be helped by the cast member at the enterance. Having a kiosk available where a DAS can be assigned for that land only would be an idea that would address both the caregivers that have children who don't understand why they are not going on a ride and it would address the issues of people thinking it would be a time advantage, since they could only have DAS assigned for the rides in that area.
The wait for setting up a return time is a other issue where allowing guests the option to request a return time through the app would help.

I didn't really think about this, but let's look at when we went to get a return time for spaceship earth on our most recent trip. The DAS system was down for them, but they tried for about 10 minutes before figuring that out. They ended up issuing us immediate FPs for the attraction, so that worked for us, but imagine if someone was behind us, as even giving us the immediate FPs took another 5 minutes.

Or when we went to get a return time for Navi River Journey and there were three people ahead of me, that's 15 minutes waiting to get a return time.

I didn't think anything of it at the time because that is the norm, but now that I think more about it, this is yet another reason why allowing people to book through the app makes more sense. Dont require it, but allow it.

But they don't have to walk to the ride, then walk elsewhere, say rest room, first aid, what have you, which can be quite far from the ride, while waiting. That is my point about why using the app to get a return time should be allowed and why an extra wait shouldn't be necessary. As I said it really isn't any different than the kiosk system at Disneyland, other than not needing to take up a CMs time. Letting them book a return .Time through the app would give no advantage over the current system, other than to reduce some extra walking.

It would definitely give them an advantage over the current system.

Everybody claims that, but nobody actually says how. Seriously, how is it any different than going to the kiosks that Disneyland uses?

The system at Disneyland gives DAS users an advantage as well, but my understanding is that it can’t be helped due to space issues at the attractions themselves.

If you can’t see how being able to get a return time from the other side of the park v. having to actually go to the ride, like anyone without a DAS has to do, is an advantage, then i don’t know what else to say.

But then you can think about all the people in line on their feet the whole time while those with a DAS could be sitting down. Again, DAS is not for those with mobility issues but I understand that you can have both a need for DAS and have mobility issues. That should be taken care of with a wheelchair or ECV though. You keep talking about the kiosk system at DL. We went there last year and used it and although it might have saved us some walking time for certain attractions, I felt that we spent a decent amount of time looking for the kiosks until we got used to where they are and since we were only there 2 days, that was pretty much most of our trip. LOL The issue with the kiosks being hard to spot sometimes was that there were so many people crowded around them and they also had long lines with people using them as information as well as for DAS return time. Maybe if a person had a choice of going to either a kiosk or a ride giving them more options that would be OK. I really don't think that Disney will ever give over the control of assigning DAS to each individual on the app. The app has way too many problems. Can you just hear the complaints if the app goes down and someone has to walk all the way to guest services to get it straightened out.

Everybody claims that, but nobody actually says how. Seriously, how is it any different than going to the kiosks that Disneyland uses?

I've said it. Ok, so let's say you want to go on Dumbo, your family is at IASW so they have to walk over to Dumbo to get in line. Their time starts when they actually get to the ride, not as they are leaving IASW. Now say someone with DAS wants to ride Dumbo and they get to start their "wait" before they even leave IASW. These rides are only a few minutes walk, but they can just as easily do this if they are across the park giving them as much as a 10-15 minute head start. Now is that 10 minutes per ride a huge difference, probably not. It might add up a bit depending on how long you are there and how many rides you can get on. And I don't think that most people would care. But if they went to this policy then someone would figure out the numbers and find it to be worth it to lie to get the DAS and so any little advantage starts to get abused. Personally I really do not think that that is the reason why they have not put it on the app. As I just posted, Disney wants to retain control over handing it out. Maybe they want to for their internal records, maybe they want a cast member checking everyone's picture to make sure they are part of the group, who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter