Just back from DVC tour- got some juicy tidbits (rumors)

In the FWIW department, I once spoke with some DVC managers, who would be in the know, and asked about a number of then current rumors.

Their answer was interesting. They love rumors and never deny anything. It keeps the competition guessing!

From a business standpoint, that makes sense. It takes years for some things to develop, and there's no business advantage to letting the competition know what you're going to do next.

So let the rumors fly.

Finally, keep in mind that in a few cases DVC actually ANNOUNCED resorts, and then later cancelled. Eagle Pines and New York (manhattan) for example.

popcorn::

I don't really see DVC as an attractive idea away from Disney theme parks, and I think their difficulties with VB and HHI illustrate that. As someone else has already pointed out, a particular place might be a great place to visit on DVC points -- but DVC has to SELL the contracts in those resorts. It's not the same thing at all.

It seems though that there is high demand for Hawaii, every rumour you hear has people screaming HAWAII, I would be suprised if they don't do it but I think it will be sometime away.

I think if they made it a smaller resort hotel it would sell out especially for people wanting to do small add-ons to existing contracts. As you also said with DCL being virtually a given and a real push to get west coasters into DVC then Hawaii makes sense (at least to me).

One thing that has been overlooked in our speculation is the other Disneylands. To me, a DVC Hong Kong, or DVC Paris makes a LOT more sense than a DVC Maui. Paris, in particular, would seem like a natural considering the huge number of European visitors WDW gets.

I totally agree with this completely! I'd love to see DVC at the non-US parks. There are a LOT of DVC members worldwide especially in the UK but with the new Hong Kong park having opened its generating a lot more Disney interest in that region.

As DVC members in New Zealand, its no different to us to go to LA or Hong Kong or Tokyo - they are all the same distance to get to and much the same cost. Hawaii would be the closest point for us if they went ahead so we'd be really keen for that but Asia would also be really cool.

If you tie this in with a the other rumour about one of the cruise ships being DVC and cruising Asian intineraries then definitely DVC in Asia makes huge sense.

But... they are all rumours :)

Thanx for the rumors.

FWIW, read elesewhere on this here internet thingy, that any stand alone resorts, (aka Hawaii, Mexico, the Moon, etc) would be just Disney Resorts and not DVC. Foil hats available upon request.
:stir:

As others have said, a backdoor to AK does not seem practical because of the distance. It scales off at around 3500 feet (app 3/4 mile) to Harambe or Camp Minnie Mickey. (see map) Unless Disney is planning a new waterway or some sort of jungle trail I don’t think that will happen.

However, since the area between AKL and AK was originally slated to contain Beastly Kingdommie, perhaps there is some future expansion concept that includes an AKL gate.:rolleyes1

I don't think either would be way out of the question. Why not make a water way or even a Jungle Trek....???? Probably not in the near future.. But once somemore future expansion is completed of the villas. This gives more incentive.. I have always thought it crazy to have to board a bus to get to AK from AKL, after all the distance is not all that great... Like someone else mentioned about the same distance as from BWV to MGM and I very much enjoy that walk... And a Jungle Trek would keep with the theme and make a walk very enjoyable.. And I am sure they could make changes somewhere where the backstage area is not scene.. And if it becomes a waterway, make it a 'Jungle Cruise' ... Ok so it wasn't that funny.. But a boat ride would be nice also...although I think much more work and $$$ to complete...

Thanx for the rumors.

However, since the area between AKL and AK was originally slated to contain Beastly Kingdommie, perhaps there is some future expansion concept that includes an AKL gate.:rolleyes1

14664Picture-1b.jpg

while this is close to what I saw at Chicago/Woodfield Mall's Doorway to Dreams - its not the same -

they have an AKV "trail" up in that 'white' area - and they pictured Giraffes walking from there to the current building - which is hard for me to conceptualize not having been to AKL but the map they showed there had designated areas for now, in development now, and future development dates of 2008/9 - and then "projected future plans' - or some such designation with no date - but a 'dotted' circle - the one I remember was a very small (think size of a dime - not sure what the scale of the map was!!)

so this area in white is much larger than the area of the map on the wall that had the buildings, and water, and giraffes roaming...

it also had me wondering how one side of the AKV would have a 'view' of a savanah area, while the other side would be parking lot... would they have a price structure then?

And if it becomes a waterway, make it a 'Jungle Cruise' ... Ok so it wasn't that funny.. But a boat ride would be nice also...although I think much more work and $$$ to complete...

Maybe the waterway could show another side of water.:lmao:

It's an interesting idea, shows you've got your imagin-ears on!:thumbsup2

And to throw a knuckleball into the mix, the Reedy Creek master plan shows the area between AKL and Ak as "Resource Management" on the use side and "Marginally Suitable" on the building end. If I decipher Reedy Creek speak correctly, this means recreational usage (golf course, horse trails etc) and new construction, while not prohibited, would be discouraged. (Enviromental mitigation above and beyond would be required):confused3

while this is close to what I saw at Chicago/Woodfield Mall's Doorway to Dreams - its not the same -

they have an AKV "trail" up in that 'white' area - and they pictured Giraffes walking from there to the current building - which is hard for me to conceptualize not having been to AKL but the map they showed there had designated areas for now, in development now, and future development dates of 2008/9 - and then "projected future plans' - or some such designation with no date - but a 'dotted' circle - the one I remember was a very small (think size of a dime - not sure what the scale of the map was!!)

so this area in white is much larger than the area of the map on the wall that had the buildings, and water, and giraffes roaming...

it also had me wondering how one side of the AKV would have a 'view' of a savanah area, while the other side would be parking lot... would they have a price structure then?

If by "white area" on my map, you are refering to the AKV, that is a tightly cropped cut from the overall siteplan.

As to the parking lot view, if I'm not mistaken, the units of AKV are full width of the building, so they have both a parking view and a savannah view.:)

"Back door exit" to AK? As in walking? I am not that familiar with proximity, but is that possible? If so, that would be a great perk.

It's a bit over 3/4 of a mile, as the crow flies, from AK to AKL.

Between the two are copious amounts of swampland, a large pond/lake, and a whole HOST of backstage buildings and areas....and a pretty busy road that Disney would have to "flyover" with some sort of pedestrian bridge.

I'd say a walkway is unlikely, at best.

Did it look like this:

AKVconstruction.gif

If by "white area" on my map, you are refering to the AKV, that is a tightly cropped cut from the overall siteplan.

As to the parking lot view, if I'm not mistaken, the units of AKV are full width of the building, so they have both a parking view and a savannah view.:)

Not the case. The units are 1/2 the width of the building (one unit on each side of the hallway)....at least at Jambo. We haven't seen Kidani plans yet.

Where I think you're confused is that on Ostrich and Giraffe trails, DVC didn't "buy" the entire trail...there are still some parking lot view "regular" hotel rooms that have been left in those areas. So the room diagrams we've seen only show 1/2 the "trail"...the DVC half on the "inside" part of the hallway..

Did it look like this:

AKVconstruction.gif

Yep, that's it...

Pictures are much better than any words I tried to come up with!

(and the words I was trying to come up were "artist rendering")

Not the case. The units are 1/2 the width of the building (one unit on each side of the hallway)....at least at Jambo. We haven't seen Kidani plans yet.

QUOTE]

I think you're correct. I was just looking at some concept drawings over on
:scared1: Scape, and it looks like there will be parking lot and pool views.

I know CM's may not have the confirmation about CRV, but there's just too much evidence pointing to it being a DVC. Again, speculation and rumors. BUT - when we went to Contemporary two weeks ago and pulled up at valet, the valet said sorry - we can't valet you for free because there is no DVC here yet. DH says well, what are the building over there (pointing to the new construction) and the valets all say Disney is calling it an expansion but its common knowledge it is a DVC building. Then we went to Poly another night. DH pulled up and the valet said he would valet us free that night as courtesy since we're DVC members although since there is no DVC at Poly he is not supposed to. DH asks the guy well, when are they going to put DVC here at Poly? The valet says, they're building it right now at Contemporary and then the rumor is Poly will be the next one years down the line. The CRV is a sure thing, as far as I concerned. I need no more proof.

As for the Poly - I love rumors! Wouldn't that be fun???

In our lifetime! Prior to events at the Contemporary, Polynesian Villas did quite well in the wishlist dept. IIRC it was typically second to AKV and well ahead of the Contemporary. Keep the faith!

You can't float a boat, regularly, across a water treatment pond. You'd have to go around it.

then, if you can't connect to that pond, I don't think there will ever be a boat connection.

QUOTE]

I think you're correct. I was just looking at some concept drawings over on
:scared1: Scape, and it looks like there will be parking lot and pool views.

Don't forget that "STANDARD" rooms will be the ones with the parking lot views. You pay less points for the less desired view. I am kind of wondering what they will do with the "pool view" idea. Will those also be "standard"? My guess is "yes".

Ok, one down (GCV). Now Disney needs to step up on the other rumors :woohoo:

Honestly didn't expect the confirmation of DLR DVC to come this quick.

I think the easiest of the other rumors for Disney to take care of quickly is the direct access to AK from AKV. This thread has nicely laid out the challenges. All Disney has to do is make it happen ;)

Don't forget that "STANDARD" rooms will be the ones with the parking lot views. You pay less points for the less desired view. I am kind of wondering what they will do with the "pool view" idea. Will those also be "standard"? My guess is "yes".

I believe that the standard view rooms in Kidani will be pool or parkng lot view. In Jambo, the standards will be pool view as the parking lot view rooms will all be value villas.

Rumors are just that, rumors. I don't care which salesman you have, he is still a salesman, and anything not written into the contract is supposition and cannot be counted on for being the truth. I have been a member since DVC's inception and I have heard all those rumors and more, but the bottom line, other than maybe CA, Disney is only profitable to DVD at Walt Disney World. If you want to go to any of those other places buy a less expensive timeshare and plan your vacations there using it. I did.

Well, these aren't exacatly rumours, as Disney already discussed its desire to expand DVC into Hawaii, Mexico, and the Carribean several months back. Of course, the salesperson may have just been expanding on the information already released rather than indicating actual plans on the table.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter