• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just off the Wish

gatordoc

hopelessly addicted...
Home yesterday after 10 days on the Wish. A few brief thoughts.
The good:
Festival of Foods - would happily have eaten there every day, especially the barbecue (we even came back early from Castaway one day to have that instead of the CC barbecue). The Mexican and pizza are also very good.
Palo steakhouse dinner - the A5 Japanese Waygu is an amazing menu addition, and honestly a bargain at the price they’re charging. Everything else was excellent as well. Brunch was good, but no better or worse than the other ships.
Enchanté - forget about the negative reviews you may have seen. Both brunch and dinner were stellar. And the truffle menu, which they only have at certain times of year, was truly sublime.
The Rose - amazing bar. Especially great for a before dinner drink.
The Victrophonics - the one truly do-not-miss show.
Pirates Rockin’ Parlay Parlay Party - the soundtrack of our youth (and maybe yours if you’re of a certain age). We loved it!
Lord Leopold and Lady Lilly in the Grand Hall. They’re hilarious! And the same two CMs also host Match Your Mate, which was the best adult show by far.
The bad:
Not having a walking/jogging track. I can’t use treadmills, so it was really hard to get my daily exercise in. Did a lot of back and forth, and lots of stairs to try to compensate.
The movie theater seats were extremely uncomfortable. We couldn’t even make it through a relatively short movie without having to get up and move around.
Not enough shaded outdoor seating areas. And they shorted the cushions on the deck 4 loungers (they don’t cover the leg rest), which was pretty uncomfortable.
The good and bad:
This is where I put the staterooms. The bed is amazing. The couch is incredibly uncomfortable. Love the shower door. Hate that the TV is by the bed so that you can’t really watch if someone else wants to nap. The shelf space was OK, but would have preferred more drawers.
The MDRs also fit here. 1923 was our favorite as far as food quality; food in the other two is fine but nothing special. The Arendelle show was good, but no Olaf, which was disappointing. And the show in Marvel really didn’t deliver on what was teased in various previews.
Overall, the cast and crew were all amazing - always trying to help, and genuinely seemed interested in interacting with everyone. We had several fairly long conversations with some of them, which we really enjoyed. In summary, we had a great time on the Wish, and are looking forward to sailing her again.

We were on the 3 night part of this that returned on this past Monday. Did you notice any of these things?

When boarding the ship and they announce your name they wasn't a line of crew members clapping you just walked on

We didn't get the offer to get the Platinum embarcation gift ( truffles, fruit plate, wine)

We never ever saw our stateroom host at all. They cleaned our room but never once saw them

I have several more but don't want to hijack this thread.

To address a few questions:
Yes, we did BTBTB (3- 4- 3- nights).
We did this because it was a new ship to us and we wanted to see everything. But wouldn’t do that routinely (though we do have a 7-night total BTB scheduled later this year).
If you have the same stateroom (which we did), you do not have to pack when you leave the ship. Just take your passports and any essentials, leave the ship around 9:45, go through customs, wait in a designated location in the boarding area, then re-board around 11:15.
Our name was announced the first time we boarded. With BTB, you re-board as a group earlier than everyone else - no name announcements then.
We got our platinum gift (we chose truffles) on each cruise, but we had to call room service to request it. We also got three sets of bags, water bottles, etc. in our stateroom - one set at the beginning of each cruise.
Our stateroom host was awesome! We had the same one for all three cruises, and saw him all the time. He also made some of the best towel animals we’ve ever had. We would definitely request him again.
To be fair, the third cruise was challenging. The weather was terrible - cold and about as windy as I’ve ever seen. We couldn’t dock in Nassau, and our server told us that down below things were so bad that all his stuff went flying off shelves. I’m not sure how he did it, but Captain Andy did manage to dock us at Castaway. But most everything was cancelled because of cold and wind, and very few people even attempted to go in the water. We felt really bad for people who were on their one and only cruise, because they missed so much of what’s great on DCL.
Happy to answer other questions anyone might have 😀

The good:
Festival of Foods - would happily have eaten there every day, especially the barbecue (we even came back early from Castaway one day to have that instead of the CC barbecue). The Mexican and pizza are also very good.
Palo steakhouse dinner - the A5 Japanese Waygu is an amazing menu addition, and honestly a bargain at the price they’re charging. Everything else was excellent as well. Brunch was good, but no better or worse than the other ships.
Enchanté - forget about the negative reviews you may have seen. Both brunch and dinner were stellar. And the truffle menu, which they only have at certain times of year, was truly sublime.
Pirates Rockin’ Parlay Parlay Party - the soundtrack of our youth (and maybe yours if you’re of a certain age). We loved it!
Lord Leopold and Lady Lilly in the Grand Hall. They’re hilarious! And the same two CMs also host Match Your Mate, which was the best adult show by far.
The bad:
Not having a walking/jogging track. I can’t use treadmills, so it was really hard to get my daily exercise in. Did a lot of back and forth, and lots of stairs to try to compensate.
The movie theater seats were extremely uncomfortable. We couldn’t even make it through a relatively short movie without having to get up and move around.
Not enough shaded outdoor seating areas. And they shorted the cushions on the deck 4 loungers (they don’t cover the leg rest), which was pretty uncomfortable.
The good and bad:
This is where I put the staterooms. The bed is amazing. The couch is incredibly uncomfortable. Love the shower door. Hate that the TV is by the bed so that you can’t really watch if someone else wants to nap. The shelf space was OK, but would have preferred more drawers.
The MDRs also fit here. 1923 was our favorite as far as food quality; food in the other two is fine but nothing special. The Arendelle show was good, but no Olaf, which was disappointing. And the show in Marvel really didn’t deliver on what was teased in various previews.
Overall, the cast and crew were all amazing - always trying to help, and genuinely seemed interested in interacting with everyone. We had several fairly long conversations with some of them, which we really enjoyed. In summary, we had a great time on the Wish, and are looking forward to sailing her again.
When we were in the Wish back in August, the Arrendelle show included Olaf. I guess he was removed????

The good:
The bad:
The good and bad:
I 100% agree about the walking track which many have complained about....I also 100% agree about the movie seating which I have not seen many comments about. They need to get their $ back from that casemaker. Those seats are almost akin to a torture device. thanks for your review. I love the ship and obviously too late to fix the track issue, but that movie seating will just have to go....:)

Do you think it's nice to do it that way it does it become too repetitive? And do you have to pack and get off the ship all the time?
Sorry, just answering the question. Not the cruiser. We have only done 7 night or longer for that exact reason. We were booked back to back on the Wish, but they got canceled when the ship got delayed.

When we were in the Wish back in August, the Arrendelle show included Olaf. I guess he was removed????
We were told that he broke, but might be coming back (although perhaps only to the picnic).

When boarding the ship and they announce your name they wasn't a line of crew members clapping you just walked on
When we were on the Wish in December we thought this was just awkward, being announced into an atrium where no one cared. It was a much better experience on our Fantasy cruise in 2014 where there were people lined up and clapping.

To address a few questions:
Yes, we did BTBTB (3- 4- 3- nights).
We did this because it was a new ship to us and we wanted to see everything. But wouldn’t do that routinely (though we do have a 7-night total BTB scheduled later this year).
If you have the same stateroom (which we did), you do not have to pack when you leave the ship. Just take your passports and any essentials, leave the ship around 9:45, go through customs, wait in a designated location in the boarding area, then re-board around 11:15.
Our name was announced the first time we boarded. With BTB, you re-board as a group earlier than everyone else - no name announcements then.
We got our platinum gift (we chose truffles) on each cruise, but we had to call room service to request it. We also got three sets of bags, water bottles, etc. in our stateroom - one set at the beginning of each cruise.
Our stateroom host was awesome! We had the same one for all three cruises, and saw him all the time. He also made some of the best towel animals we’ve ever had. We would definitely request him again.
To be fair, the third cruise was challenging. The weather was terrible - cold and about as windy as I’ve ever seen. We couldn’t dock in Nassau, and our server told us that down below things were so bad that all his stuff went flying off shelves. I’m not sure how he did it, but Captain Andy did manage to dock us at Castaway. But most everything was cancelled because of cold and wind, and very few people even attempted to go in the water. We felt really bad for people who were on their one and only cruise, because they missed so much of what’s great on DCL.
Happy to answer other questions anyone might have 😀
We were on the last 3 days with you when Nassau was canceled. It was our first DCL Cruise (2nd cruise ever). We had a fantastic time and can’t wait to sail with DCL again. I don’t have other ships to compare the Wish to, but can see where others are coming from with the layout and stuff. I am not tall, but on the fluffy side and I was very uncomfortable in the seats at the Walt Disney Theater too. The seats were wide enough, but rows were way too close together. Even with an aisle seat where I could stretch my leg out, I could barely make it through Little Mermaid and Aladdin.

I am not tall, but on the fluffy side and I was very uncomfortable in the seats at the Walt Disney Theater too. The seats were wide enough, but rows were way too close together. Even with an aisle seat where I could stretch my leg out, I could barely make it through Little Mermaid and Aladdin.
This makes me feel so much better, because I was in agony and barely made it though Aladdin. We skipped Little Mermaid. After our WIsh cruise we were back on the Fantasy (this month), and it was like night and day. I get it right, make the seats smaller and with less padding, so you can fit in more seats and save some money. But it will play into my decision on which ship(s) to sail in the future. I find it hard to believe we are the only two who noticed this. I really look forward to the DCL shows, but not so much on the new ship and I have no reason to think the Treasure will be any different.

It’s kind of depressing to hear the theater seats are uncomfortable. We were going to try to see the shows this time since they’re supposed to be good on Disney ships. We never made it to a show on our Fantasy cruise because our kids were younger and needed to sleep.

I found the seats in the Walt Disney theater to also be pretty bad. I could imagine trying to do Avatar in those seats.
Agree. Didn’t think they were as bad as the movie theater, but maybe that’s only because the shows were shorter than a movie. We were planning to see Avatar while on the ship, but cancelled that because there was no way we were going to last three hours in those seats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter