Learned something about myself at Disneyland a couple of weeks ago...

LiDa

Mouseketeer
I visited Disneyland alone, which I have done a few times before. Never did WDW alone & I was considering visiting WDW for about 5 days on my own. I have always known that one day at Disneyland, which is less than 90 minutes from where I live, is not the same thing as flying across the country to spend 5 days at WDW on my own, but I paid attention to how I was managing. Was I enjoying it? Was I bored? Was I lonesome at all? Did I ever feel awkward? And so on.

And I have to say that one day at Disneyland absolutely cured me of my desire to visit WDW alone. I was never lonesome & never bored, but most of the CMs were not as supportive as I had expected & I felt as if I didn't want to ride a few things alone, even though I used to enjoy them with my friends & mom.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? If so, did you end up changing you mind & what contributed to the change?

Thanks!

I visited Disneyland alone, which I have done a few times before. Never did WDW alone & I was considering visiting WDW for about 5 days on my own. I have always known that one day at Disneyland, which is less than 90 minutes from where I live, is not the same thing as flying across the country to spend 5 days at WDW on my own, but I paid attention to how I was managing. Was I enjoying it? Was I bored? Was I lonesome at all? Did I ever feel awkward? And so on.

And I have to say that one day at Disneyland absolutely cured me of my desire to visit WDW alone. I was never lonesome & never bored, but most of the CMs were not as supportive as I had expected & I felt as if I didn't want to ride a few things alone, even though I used to enjoy them with my friends & mom.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? If so, did you end up changing you mind & what contributed to the change?

Thanks!
I think perhaps what you experienced, though unfortunate, may be attributed to a different culture between the parks. Disneyland tends to be a locals park, so I would expect not all of the CMs are as thrilled to be there. In my experience in Florida, the CMs do tend to go out of their way, within reason, to make sure the guests are having a good time. Even chatted with one as I floated around the lazy river at Blizzard Beach a few times. I think it's because WDW is more of a destination park that CMs normally have a more pleasant disposition, not wanting to ruin a once in a lifetime vacation that WDW is for many people. Just my thoughts, so not 100% certain.

I think perhaps what you experienced, though unfortunate, may be attributed to a different culture between the parks. Disneyland tends to be a locals park, so I would expect not all of the CMs are as thrilled to be there. In my experience in Florida, the CMs do tend to go out of their way, within reason, to make sure the guests are having a good time. Even chatted with one as I floated around the lazy river at Blizzard Beach a few times. I think it's because WDW is more of a destination park that CMs normally have a more pleasant disposition, not wanting to ruin a once in a lifetime vacation that WDW is for many people. Just my thoughts, so not 100% certain.
Yes, I say exactly this all the time. I'm honestly not a huge fan of Disneyland largely because it's a day trip for locals & that creates a vastly different experience. But, I do think my reaction was about more than JUST that so many of the CMs were so unpleasant. To be fair, there were 2 or 3 lovely CMs who can come work for me in my theatre anytime! I tell my staff all the time: just because YOU do this all the time, doesn't mean our guests do. Part of your job is to make sure the guest is having a pleasant experience & don't take our your boredom, frustration or discomfort on the guests.

I just can't see myself spending a week alone at a Disney park. I could change my mind again!

Yes, I say exactly this all the time. I'm honestly not a huge fan of Disneyland largely because it's a day trip for locals & that creates a vastly different experience. But, I do think my reaction was about more than JUST that so many of the CMs were so unpleasant. To be fair, there were 2 or 3 lovely CMs who can come work for me in my theatre anytime! I tell my staff all the time: just because YOU do this all the time, doesn't mean our guests do. Part of your job is to make sure the guest is having a pleasant experience & don't take our your boredom, frustration or discomfort on the guests.

I just can't see myself spending a week alone at a Disney park. I could change my mind again!
I would give a solo trip to WDW a try. I recommend two days for Epcot since it's hard to do in just one day with the sheer walkable size. Really only takes 4-5 days for the main parks. Then you could try a water park if you wanted. The Disney Water Parks can be fun. I usually do short trips since I am a 2 hour flight away, but if you are coming from across the country, five days is a good minimum starting point. I have done Disney, Universal, SeaWorld, and Discovery Cove all solo with little problem, though Discovery Cove I think would be better with someone, due to the nature of the park.

I like to do a couple days at WDW and a couple days going to the beach, going birding, visiting museums, etc. which I’m pretty comfortable doing alone. There’s a lot else to see in central Florida!

I did a solo trip in 2019 (well the last 3 days were solo) and had a fantastic time - I'd definitely recommend it!

I take at least one, sometimes two or three solo trips a year to WDW. Just for reference, I'm a 66 yr old woman and do split stays most of the time. I will be there April 15 - 22 solo, 7 nights 6 1/2 park days. I am doing a split stay, 2 nights at All Star Music and 5 days at Dolphin.

Two reasons for the split stay. One, it is just less and makes no sense to do arrival day at a more expensive resort. I drive down from Georgia and usually get there between 1 and 3. I do the 2nd night again because it's cheaper, because I like to stay in the Epcot resorts so I'm going to have to ride a bus to MK and AK anyway, since I tend to stay at the Dolphin their bus drops you off at TTC in MK - yes I know I can walk to YC or BW and bus from there - so might as well bus it from a WDW resort.

I walk over to Epcot at some point every single day when I'm staying at an Epcot resort and even if I'm doing the whole trip at CSR, I still end up at Epcot for some part every day. I always have PHs (thank you Disney APs will go on sale while I'm there so I'll be at GS waiting for it to open on that day to convert my PHs to an AP).

I love my solos trips. I get up when I want, I do what I want, I ride or don't ride what I want, I eat where and when I want. I've never been treated badly at WDW, frankly most of the time I just get the same treatment I get when I go with my son and his family. I also eat at TS restaurants when I'm solo. Most of the times I do get a little more attention at those then when I'm with my son.

I’m originally from FL and grew up going to WDW, from the time I was 3. I now live in SoCal, about 90 min away from DL, as well - I have been there once (with my ex), and although it was fun, and there is incredible history, it is not the same to me in terms of immersal. Maybe it’s the size of the property/“bubble”, a difference in CMs or other guests, or just my own bias, but it isn’t the same.

I’m married, but DH is not a huge disney fan; I tend to get my fix by meeting my sister and her daughter, AP holders who live near WDW, usually before or after trips home to see my parents. Because of the long flight, I started coming into Orlando the night before I met them, and I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed those first solo days. I now don’t hesitate to add 2-3 days solo whenever I’m coming out, and with aging parents, that has become 3-4 times a year! I am not much of a loner, so it still seems weird to me to be planning solo visits. It’s still a little weird saying “one” for everything, but the CMs have never been anything but lovely, same with almost all guests I’ve interacted with - in probably 10 solo quick-hits, I’ve only had one couple (at FWF) act weird to me. Frankly, after my initial insecure twinge, I saw that reaction as their problem ;). I now notice that there are MANY solo visitors, and honestly, no one is paying attention anyways. On my last visit, a solo guy was seated next to me on GotG, and he apologized for being solo, and I laughed and said, “Me, too!” It abdolutely does feel different from being with others, but where it’s a bit awkward not having a friend to turn to in delight during a great ride, there is glorious freedom in being able to do what you want, when you want. And again, WDW is just so immersive - it is just different from DL.

Anyways, novel aside, my point: if you’re still thinking of it, I’d recommend starting with 2 days tacked onto doing something else in FL. Life is too fleeting to not give it a shot:).

Ehh, DL CM's aren't quite as friendly as WDW's overall. I wouldn't worry about that though. I actually find that DL is more solo-friendly to me, because a lot of guests drop in for a little while. They may be alone or in adult groups and it's not considered "werid." WDW has more of the family vibe, though I still don't think most people notice or care about a solo traveller. CM's are more apt to talk to you or do something special though.

The only place I've gone solo is DL. I don't think I felt odd but I felt more like an observer than a participant. My 'home' resort is WDW (where I've been going all my life) so I was mostly just doing the compare/contrast thing between the two coasts.

I've done WDW in most combinations from two people to large groups... friends, family, parents, kids, etc and I've taken time on those trips go 'go alone' for a few hours here and there, and I slip back into observer mode during those times. Perhaps it's just my nature to do that, but I definitely remove myself a bit from the experience when solo.

Regarding CM's on the two coasts: the cast in WDW seem more aware they're performers and stay in character. The CM's at DL seem less so... more like they're working a local fair or amusement park.

You didn't really go into detail about what happened, but part of it might be expectations. I have made solo trips to both DL and WDW. Many more to WDW. When I went to DL I really didn't feel like I fit in and that was because I didn't. The people there were grouped and possessive whereas WDW which caters more to an international crowd is more open and inviting. Mostly it centers on what your expectations are. When you are with your family you are surrounded by people you know and trust. In any solo situation including your solo visit to DL, you are surrounded by people you don't know. In many cases you have to ride in the same location as people you have never seen before in your life. If you lack in self confidence it can be quite unnerving.

I'm not exactly painting a colorful picture, but your expectations might be different in WDW. You are expecting that the experience will be different and therefore might be a little more comfortable with it. It is a big step, I realize, but I've made 1 solo trip to DL and in spite of not feeling part of it, I still enjoyed it. I have made close to 20 of my trips to WDW solo, and had a fun time everytime. The trick is to let yourself relax and whatever you do, do not wander around thinking people are looking at you or judging you in anyway. They are, like you, to busy finding their way around to care even a little bit about what you are doing. I did occasionally sometimes wish that I was with someone to share the experience with, but it was a fleeting thought and I quickly got back to enjoying myself.

I like to do a couple days at WDW and a couple days going to the beach, going birding, visiting museums, etc. which I’m pretty comfortable doing alone. There’s a lot else to see in central Florida!
I lived there for too long, so I'm over it! lol

You didn't really go into detail about what happened, but part of it might be expectations. I have made solo trips to both DL and WDW. Many more to WDW. When I went to DL I really didn't feel like I fit in and that was because I didn't. The people there were grouped and possessive whereas WDW which caters more to an international crowd is more open and inviting. Mostly it centers on what your expectations are. When you are with your family you are surrounded by people you know and trust. In any solo situation including your solo visit to DL, you are surrounded by people you don't know. In many cases you have to ride in the same location as people you have never seen before in your life. If you lack in self confidence it can be quite unnerving.

I'm not exactly painting a colorful picture, but your expectations might be different in WDW. You are expecting that the experience will be different and therefore might be a little more comfortable with it. It is a big step, I realize, but I've made 1 solo trip to DL and in spite of not feeling part of it, I still enjoyed it. I have made close to 20 of my trips to WDW solo, and had a fun time everytime. The trick is to let yourself relax and whatever you do, do not wander around thinking people are looking at you or judging you in anyway. They are, like you, to busy finding their way around to care even a little bit about what you are doing. I did occasionally sometimes wish that I was with someone to share the experience with, but it was a fleeting thought and I quickly got back to enjoying myself.
LOL. I think you're giving me way too much credit for over-thought. I have been to WDW almost 20 times, sometimes with people I like, sometimes not so much. I have been to DL a handful of times, always alone, & just don't care for it - it's sort of down-market compared to WDW. It's daytrippers at DL vs. people who either have the money to spend on WDW or have saved up to make it a good one. I'm sorry if that sounds rude, but it is my honest assessment.

I went to DL this time purposefully on a day where Biblical rains were forecast because I knew it would keep the crowds away. And it did! I generally spend a lot of time on my own -- shopping, dining, theatres, museums, etc, so that's never an issue for me. I even went on a 3-day business trip to Tokyo with 24 hours notice, so i didnt get a chance to learn any of the language. Talk about being isolated! And I was fine. I don't feel conspicuous & don't care what people think of my being alone. It's none of their business! (This is what I tell people at my theatres when they tell me they feel funny on their 1st theatre visit alone.)

When I posted about being cured of wanting to visit WDW alone, I absolutely should have specified: I think I could manage for 1 day or possibly 2 just fine. But, I don't want to get to the point where I wish I were home & have 4 more days to go. I don't want to travel all the way across the country to think, "You lived in FL & swore you'd never be back for a good reason! This was a mistake." I was wondering if anyone had decided to go solo & come to the conclusion that it wasn't worth it. That's not something that people readily admit, esp. not here!

LOL. I think you're giving me way too much credit for over-thought. I have been to WDW almost 20 times, sometimes with people I like, sometimes not so much. I have been to DL a handful of times, always alone, & just don't care for it - it's sort of down-market compared to WDW. It's daytrippers at DL vs. people who either have the money to spend on WDW or have saved up to make it a good one. I'm sorry if that sounds rude, but it is my honest assessment.

I went to DL this time purposefully on a day where Biblical rains were forecast because I knew it would keep the crowds away. And it did! I generally spend a lot of time on my own -- shopping, dining, theatres, museums, etc, so that's never an issue for me. I even went on a 3-day business trip to Tokyo with 24 hours notice, so i didnt get a chance to learn any of the language. Talk about being isolated! And I was fine. I don't feel conspicuous & don't care what people think of my being alone. It's none of their business! (This is what I tell people at my theatres when they tell me they feel funny on their 1st theatre visit alone.)

When I posted about being cured of wanting to visit WDW alone, I absolutely should have specified: I think I could manage for 1 day or possibly 2 just fine. But, I don't want to get to the point where I wish I were home & have 4 more days to go. I don't want to travel all the way across the country to think, "You lived in FL & swore you'd never be back for a good reason! This was a mistake." I was wondering if anyone had decided to go solo & come to the conclusion that it wasn't worth it. That's not something that people readily admit, esp. not here!
OK, sorry for the unneeded advice, but I don't understand people wanting to go for two for two week even with others. There are four separate theme parks (as you know) and since I don't care about the water parks, my maximum plan is for 4 days. I try not to make them consecutive and I also go with the park hopper to add even more variety to the trip. But never more than 1 day in any one park.

I can handle just so much of that rodent before I feel I need a room with padded walls. But whatever you feel is good for you is obviously the direction you should go. I know that as much as I liked going with others, I found it just as rewarding and with a lot more freedom, solo. I just enjoy doing what I want when I want too without having to consider someone else's wants and needs.

Hahaha!! I’ll admit that I don’t think I’m cut out for a full-on solo trip only to WDW (more than 3 days/nights), but hey, never say never. I’m planning to snag an AP on the 20th, but I imagine I will only have it until my parents no longer need support or my niece loses interest. I’m far more likely to do a full-on solo trip somewhere else, tbh.

I love WDW, but like you, I moved away from FL. I know I may move back someday if I still have family there, but removing all other differences, that freaking FL weather is hard to take! Omg, the humidity. Every time I visit, I’m like, “how did I manage to survive in this?”

Why not just go for a long weekend? Alaska Air has nonstops from SD. And there are a bunch from LAX.

OK, sorry for the unneeded advice, but I don't understand people wanting to go for two for two week even with others. There are four separate theme parks (as you know) and since I don't care about the water parks, my maximum plan is for 4 days. I try not to make them consecutive and I also go with the park hopper to add even more variety to the trip. But never more than 1 day in any one park.

I can handle just so much of that rodent before I feel I need a room with padded walls. But whatever you feel is good for you is obviously the direction you should go. I know that as much as I liked going with others, I found it just as rewarding and with a lot more freedom, solo. I just enjoy doing what I want when I want too without having to consider someone else's wants and needs.
LOL. I have been at WDW for as long as 8 days, but that included one day at Universal, at least one night at a restaurant on International Drive & a night St Church Street Station, which doesn't exist anymore. So, I feel the need to get away for a bit.

And no need to apologize. I think in my effort to not make my post too terribly long I left out some important info, which made me sort of misrepresent my experience at both WDW & DL & as a solo traveler. A lot of people assume it's awkward to be alone, but I don't find it so. I prefer travelling w/ others, but crave spending the day alone in general. Just 5 days at WDW seems a lot! :-)

Hahaha!! I’ll admit that I don’t think I’m cut out for a full-on solo trip only to WDW (more than 3 days/nights), but hey, never say never. I’m planning to snag an AP on the 20th, but I imagine I will only have it until my parents no longer need support or my niece loses interest. I’m far more likely to do a full-on solo trip somewhere else, tbh.

I love WDW, but like you, I moved away from FL. I know I may move back someday if I still have family there, but removing all other differences, that freaking FL weather is hard to take! Omg, the humidity. Every time I visit, I’m like, “how did I manage to survive in this?”

Why not just go for a long weekend? Alaska Air has nonstops from SD. And there are a bunch from LAX.
You get me! lol. I used to come home from work at 1:00 a..m. & it was STILL 85F & 85% humidity. So gross.

I'm in the SFV, nowhere near San Diego, but I could fly out of the Burbank airport (1 stop) or drag down to LAX for a nonstop, if I don't mind that nightmare.

I was thinking of treating myself to JSX, which is one of those airlines that rich people fly when they don't want to be near the lower classes! The 1st time my boss flew it (by accident, it was a JetBlue codeshare), he said he felt terribly underdressed! I think it sounds like a great cocktail party story.

I don't ever feel weird going solo. My next trip to WDW this fall is a 2 week trip. 2 wonderful weeks of not working, no cooking, no cleaning, no "honey, where is the....". Just 2 full weeks of doing whatever I want, eating whatever I want, sleeping in if I want, etc. Sometimes I chat with people if they are receptive but I mostly do my own thing. I have found that the cast members at WDW are fine with having a conversation. I think that they are just happy that you are not complaining about something. LOL I would admit it if I did not enjoy my trips, but so far, that has not been my experiences.

And no need to apologize. I think in my effort to not make my post too terribly long I left out some important info, which made me sort of misrepresent my experience at both WDW & DL & as a solo traveler. A lot of people assume it's awkward to be alone, but I don't find it so. I prefer travelling w/ others, but crave spending the day alone in general. Just 5 days at WDW seems a lot!
I think for people who have lived close by to WDW and have been often, it is a different experience then for those who travel there. I'm sort of a mix of the two. I live in Georgia and it's a 7 1/2 hour drive so sorta close. The weather is similar although we might not get as much rain in the fall. As I've gotten older and my financial situation has changed, I do go more often than your average bear but probably not as often as a native. There are years I go 4 times a year and years I might only go twice. At least one trip a year is solo, one trip is usually with my son and now his family. I go anywhere from 4 days to 7 days solo, just depends on what # trip is for that year. I have a trip next week for 7 nights, 6 1/2 park days, solo. Its a longer trip because I thought it would be the only trip for 2023 (turns out I might be taking a short one in Dec). I travel solo a lot, hubby hates to travel and when he does, it's in our RV and he doesn't have to leave it if he doesn't want to. I love to travel, when my son was young I could drag him along but darn those kids, they grow up and have families of their own. DW is my go to place because it's safe(ish) for an older woman solo, it's familiar, and I just enjoy it. I never regret being there solo but I'm sort of a loner and crave time to do whatever I want to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter