Learned something about myself at Disneyland a couple of weeks ago...

I haven't been too many times to WDW (4 if I'm counting right lol) and only once to DL, only one of those trips to WDW had someone with me, but I didn't feel excluded at DL or like everyone was trying to keep something from me but I'm extremely introverted and get kinda overwhelmed at the attention at WDW so if that did happen at DL I don't think I'd really notice.
You mentioned that you were basically keeping tabs on yourself and how you felt; maybe that skewed your data? I've found that if I'm looking for something I tend to find it or overexaggerate it in the moment, not saying that you do or did but that I have noticed that about myself when reflecting afterwards, I believe it's called investigator bias at least that's what they told me back in Psych class lol.

You get me! lol. I used to come home from work at 1:00 a..m. & it was STILL 85F & 85% humidity. So gross.

I'm in the SFV, nowhere near San Diego, but I could fly out of the Burbank airport (1 stop) or drag down to LAX for a nonstop, if I don't mind that nightmare.

I was thinking of treating myself to JSX, which is one of those airlines that rich people fly when they don't want to be near the lower classes! The 1st time my boss flew it (by accident, it was a JetBlue codeshare), he said he felt terribly underdressed! I think it sounds like a great cocktail party story.
Ohhhhh, yeah. Yeah. Getting to LAX from there is not pretty. Honestly, that’s worse than driving to LAX from SD, in my experience (we do international flights ftom LAX). That makes a short trip tougher, so I get your hesitation. JSX is supposed to be awesome, my MIL got shifted onto them during the SWA issues, but there are so many stops to get to MCO, the last I looked. Def a fancy sweatpants airline!!

I’m going to throw out an idea: have you priced out car service to LAX and a nonstop flight? That might sound splurgey, but it’s a heck of a lot cheaper than 2 extra days at WDW. Another idea: there’s a nonstop between Ontario (that’s sorta kinda near you..? And also not LAX, haha) and MCO. It’s a red-eye going out, but 6 pm departure coming back. If the red eye to MCO on a plane full o kiddos does not appeal, I’ll often do two one-way flights, a one-stop en route out and a nonstop returning.

This all assumes that a faster transport makes a quick trip more appealing. Before Alaska had nonstops from here, my trips were far less frequent, for sure.

I'm not sure how relevant my experiences are, as I have (sadly) never done a solo trip and I'm also someone who loves time alone (I'm a mom of littles so alone time sounds like heaven these days).

On our last trip to WDW, I found myself semi-alone quite a bit (ie, wandering alone with my sleeping toddler in the stroller while husband took our other kiddo on rides or whatever). Since we also did not fully understand rider swap at the time, I rode alone on quite a few attractions. I never once felt like anyone - guests or CMs - treated me any differently than they did when I was with my group. I sat down at several places for a drink/snack while toddler slept. While I might not say that tons of people were "supportive" (because I'm not actually sure what that would entail), no one ever bothered me, or looked at me sideways that I noticed (granted, I know I wasn't technically alone, but I did FEEL alone as I had no one to talk to). Since I was tied to the stroller, I killed a lot of time seeking out photo pass locations and I took lots of photo pass photos either on my own or next to a stroller with the shade pulled down 😂 I felt a little funny about that at first just bc I'm not someone who typically takes pictures of myself alone, but the CM's were unfailingly fun, encouraging, kind and friendly.

On the occasions that I WAS actually alone, I honestly didn't feel like anybody thought anything of it, if they even noticed at all. When I was young and single and most of my friends were already married, I did lots of things locally, solo - including going out to eat, the movies, sitting at the bar, etc. I felt like more people thought it was weird when I did THOSE things than anyone did in WDW. In WDW, it's super common for guests to be solo for various reasons, and no one blinks an eye. We once had dinner at Biergarten with a really wonderful young woman who was solo for dinner because the rest of her group wanted to eat somewhere else, but she was dead set on Biergarten. Like me, parents are often solo in WDW for various reasons. My own mom was solo a lot on our last trip because my dad couldn't join her for health reasons, and she wasn't up for being in the parks as much as we were with our young kids. Point being, I never have made assumptions about solo guests in WDW, and I don't feel like anyone has ever really made any assumptions about me when I've been solo in WDW, however briefly.

If you don't want to do WDW solo because you're afraid you'll be lonely, or because you think you'll feel awkward, then there's nothing wrong with that. But I wouldn't not go out of fear of being judged. Because first of all, if anyone judges you, then that's a them problem, not a you problem. And secondly, I just don't think anyone is actually judging :confused3

I don't ever feel weird going solo. My next trip to WDW this fall is a 2 week trip. 2 wonderful weeks of not working, no cooking, no cleaning, no "honey, where is the....". Just 2 full weeks of doing whatever I want, eating whatever I want, sleeping in if I want, etc. Sometimes I chat with people if they are receptive but I mostly do my own thing. I have found that the cast members at WDW are fine with having a conversation. I think that they are just happy that you are not complaining about something. LOL I would admit it if I did not enjoy my trips, but so far, that has not been my experiences.
That sounds lovely!

I think for people who have lived close by to WDW and have been often, it is a different experience then for those who travel there. I'm sort of a mix of the two. I live in Georgia and it's a 7 1/2 hour drive so sorta close. The weather is similar although we might not get as much rain in the fall. As I've gotten older and my financial situation has changed, I do go more often than your average bear but probably not as often as a native. There are years I go 4 times a year and years I might only go twice. At least one trip a year is solo, one trip is usually with my son and now his family. I go anywhere from 4 days to 7 days solo, just depends on what # trip is for that year. I have a trip next week for 7 nights, 6 1/2 park days, solo. Its a longer trip because I thought it would be the only trip for 2023 (turns out I might be taking a short one in Dec). I travel solo a lot, hubby hates to travel and when he does, it's in our RV and he doesn't have to leave it if he doesn't want to. I love to travel, when my son was young I could drag him along but darn those kids, they grow up and have families of their own. DW is my go to place because it's safe(ish) for an older woman solo, it's familiar, and I just enjoy it. I never regret being there solo but I'm sort of a loner and crave time to do whatever I want to do.
Get outta my head! lol

Ohhhhh, yeah. Yeah. Getting to LAX from there is not pretty. Honestly, that’s worse than driving to LAX from SD, in my experience (we do international flights ftom LAX). That makes a short trip tougher, so I get your hesitation. JSX is supposed to be awesome, my MIL got shifted onto them during the SWA issues, but there are so many stops to get to MCO, the last I looked. Def a fancy sweatpants airline!!

I’m going to throw out an idea: have you priced out car service to LAX and a nonstop flight? That might sound splurgey, but it’s a heck of a lot cheaper than 2 extra days at WDW. Another idea: there’s a nonstop between Ontario (that’s sorta kinda near you..? And also not LAX, haha) and MCO. It’s a red-eye going out, but 6 pm departure coming back. If the red eye to MCO on a plane full o kiddos does not appeal, I’ll often do two one-way flights, a one-stop en route out and a nonstop returning.

This all assumes that a faster transport makes a quick trip more appealing. Before Alaska had nonstops from here, my trips were far less frequent, for sure.
Thanks for all of this. I have never considered Ontario, but I should look into it. I moved to LA from the east coast right before the pandemic, so I never really got the chance to figureout the area before everything got locked down. Now I'm just working-working-working.

I once took a car service from SFV to LAX & it was well over $100. Nearly passed out. I have also parked at LAX (coupon, too!) & it was so cheap that I thought "This is the way." The question then becomes: which is worse & more time-consuming ... adding time to get to LAX & then to & from the garage OR flying out of Burbank & making an extra stop? Haven't decided yet.

Last edited:
I grew up going to WDW on family vacations. When we moved to Florida, I went sometimes with just my sister or just a friend, and didn’t really think I would like going alone. Then my sister and I had a trip planned and something at work came up at the last minute and she couldn’t go. It was too late to cancel without losing a lot of money, so I decided to go solo and salvage what I could. I was totally surprised at how much I enjoyed it! I had always spent so much time making sure everyone else was having a good time, that I hadn’t been doing anything I preferred. The solo trip changed that. I have gone on solo trips as long as 17 days, and had a great time. These days, I will book a trip, and maybe I will be solo for the entire thing, or maybe my sister or a friend will join me for part of it, but the solo days are still my favorite way to do WDW.

Of course, some of it depends on how much you enjoy traveling solo anywhere. I have gone to the UK solo for a couple of weeks and loved it. I have traveled around the US solo and loved it. Some people don’t even like to go to their local restaurants solo, and that’s okay. Everyone is different.

I grew up going to WDW on family vacations. When we moved to Florida, I went sometimes with just my sister or just a friend, and didn’t really think I would like going alone. Then my sister and I had a trip planned and something at work came up at the last minute and she couldn’t go. It was too late to cancel without losing a lot of money, so I decided to go solo and salvage what I could. I was totally surprised at how much I enjoyed it! I had always spent so much time making sure everyone else was having a good time, that I hadn’t been doing anything I preferred. The solo trip changed that. I have gone on solo trips as long as 17 days, and had a great time. These days, I will book a trip, and maybe I will be solo for the entire thing, or maybe my sister or a friend will join me for part of it, but the solo days are still my favorite way to do WDW.

Of course, some of it depends on how much you enjoy traveling solo anywhere. I have gone to the UK solo for a couple of weeks and loved it. I have traveled around the US solo and loved it. Some people don’t even like to go to their local restaurants solo, and that’s okay. Everyone is different.
I'm thinking I was mostly concerned that I would run out of interest after a few days & be stuck. Or that I would grieve my mom's passing too much to enjoy it.

It's interesting how many people have posted how nice it is to not have to lead a group or ensure other people are happy -- or some variation. I've tried to think back & I don't ever remember that being an issue. We sort of had an agreement: unless there was a really good reason, everyone had to do at least one thing that everyone else wanted to do. The only line that was ever drawn was when my friend wanted to ride the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster & my mom & I were absolutely NOT onboard, figuratively & literally! The sensation that I am about to die is not remotely entertaining to me! So, my mom & I went elsewhere & held our friend's bags until he was done. Otherwise, when my mom wanted to ride Winnie the Pooh, we all rode Winnie the Pooh. when I wanted a character meal, we all had a character meal. Etc. It really was never framed as sacrificing a part of self. But, hey, to each his own.

Last edited:
Or that I would grieve my mom's passing too much to enjoy it.
I am sorry for your loss. :grouphug:

We actually go do WDW after someone has passed and it helps us deal with grief. Sounds weird, I know, but Disney is known to be a place that tugs on the heartstrings, so if you shed a tear or two during a parade or show or fireworks, you just blend in with everyone else. Thrill rides can be very therapeutic also. We went to Disney after my grandmother passed, after my mom passed, and after my dad passed.

Otherwise, when my mom wanted to ride Winnie the Pooh, we all road Winnie the Pooh. when I wanted a character meal, we all had a character meal.
That's kind of part of the fun of going solo. You do what you want to do, maybe you don't want to ride WTP. Is it a huge sacrifice, of course not, but just being able to do what you want when you want and no having to worry if maybe someone else doesn't want to do that but will, that's nice.

Thanks for all of this. I have never considered Ontario, bt I should look inot it. I moved to LA from the east coast right before the pandemic, so I never really got the chance to figur eout the area before everything got locked down. Now I'm just working-working-working.

I once took a car service from SFV to LAX & it was well over $100. Nearly passed out. I have also parked at LAX (coupon, too!) & it was so cheap that I thought "This is the way." The question then becomes: which is worse & more time-consuming ... adding time to get to LAX & then to & from the garage OR flying out of Burbank & making an extra stop? Haven't decided yet.
We only use LAX for big, long-haul trips, and we budget in the car service. But with parking and precious time…worth it! Not for a few days, though. Hope Ontario is a good option for you!

I am sorry for your loss. :grouphug:

We actually go do WDW after someone has passed and it helps us deal with grief. Sounds weird, I know, but Disney is known to be a place that tugs on the heartstrings, so if you shed a tear or two during a parade or show or fireworks, you just blend in with everyone else. Thrill rides can be very therapeutic also. We went to Disney after my grandmother passed, after my mom passed, and after my dad passed.
Thank you.

That's kind of part of the fun of going solo. You do what you want to do, maybe you don't want to ride WTP. Is it a huge sacrifice, of course not, but just being able to do what you want when you want and no having to worry if maybe someone else doesn't want to do that but will, that's nice.
I used to love watching my mom & friend have fun on their choices.

Echoing everyone here who loves a solo trip for the fact of being able to ride you want, eat what you want, imbibe what you want-- all when you want!

Adding something hard to overstate that I didn't see mentioned yet: WDW is an incredibly safe place to be a woman walking alone, even at night. I love to walk! I'm a very antsy person! At WDW, I can walk solo anywhere on property, day or night, and feel safe. Even non-park areas like the Boardwalk or the path between Jambo and Kidani. And, there's so much to see, hear, and sometimes even smell while I'm bopping around. Cannot overrate this aspect of solo travel at WDW!

Echoing everyone here who loves a solo trip for the fact of being able to ride you want, eat what you want, imbibe what you want-- all when you want!

Adding something hard to overstate that I didn't see mentioned yet: WDW is an incredibly safe place to be a woman walking alone, even at night. I love to walk! I'm a very antsy person! At WDW, I can walk solo anywhere on property, day or night, and feel safe. Even non-park areas like the Boardwalk or the path between Jambo and Kidani. And, there's so much to see, hear, and sometimes even smell while I'm bopping around. Cannot overrate this aspect of solo travel at WDW!
Now THAT I can generally agree with. It's important to never feel 100% as if you don't need to be aware, but, relatively speaking, yes it's safer. But I still don't understand the other part & probably never will! lol

Yes! The safety aspect is huge for me. I travel solo but when I am in cities, I tend to be back at my hotel by dark. At WDW, I am one of the masses on the bus going back to the resort. I have no issues walking around DS when it is dark either. It makes a huge difference.

Last edited:
I worked at Disneyland a while ago, and it’s always going to be something more special to me as the original and my “home park.” So I am sorry to hear some of the experiences with CMs at DL. I never once thought of myself working at some “lesser” local’s amusement park, but there was quite a lot of pride among my peers working at Walt Disney’s flagship, original “Magic Kingdom” from which everything followed. I have personally not noticed much difference between Florida and California CMs, though I might have a bias.

While I’m comfortable being solo at either resort, I admit that being solo at WDW does feel even more freeing for me. Maybe it’s because I’m far away from my hometown, where I would usually try to find friends or family to try out a new restaurant or do some activity. But being all the way across the country gives you a built-in excuse to try any restaurant or experience without obligation. You can leave behind all the pressures of your home.

It’s one of the reasons why I even think New York City is a great place to go to relax. (New Yorkers would call me crazy to say that, but it’s true.)

That said, what are some things that CMs can do better to help make solo visitors feel at ease?

I worked at Disneyland a while ago, and it’s always going to be something more special to me as the original and my “home park.” So I am sorry to hear some of the experiences with CMs at DL. I never once thought of myself working at some “lesser” local’s amusement park, but there was quite a lot of pride among my peers working at Walt Disney’s flagship, original “Magic Kingdom” from which everything followed. I have personally not noticed much difference between Florida and California CMs, though I might have a bias.

While I’m comfortable being solo at either resort, I admit that being solo at WDW does feel even more freeing for me. Maybe it’s because I’m far away from my hometown, where I would usually try to find friends or family to try out a new restaurant or do some activity. But being all the way across the country gives you a built-in excuse to try any restaurant or experience without obligation. You can leave behind all the pressures of your home.

It’s one of the reasons why I even think New York City is a great place to go to relax. (New Yorkers would call me crazy to say that, but it’s true.)

That said, what are some things that CMs can do better to help make solo visitors feel at ease?
Thank you so much for your sweet response. I have learned another lesson: editing posts is good, but will give a lot of people the wrong impression because you will leave out a lot of stuff! lol

As a NYer, I am not sure why you think NYers would say visiting NYC is not relaxing. I would hope my fellow NYers wouldn't judge how anyone does anything.

Almost everyone who has responded (thank you, all!) has made the assumption that traveling w/ others is somehow restricting & I am actually a little shocked by that idea. I do not consider compromise & supporting my family & friends in choosing things to do on vacation as the slightest bit tiresome or restricting. I just don't get that one at all. There have been times when I just needed a half-hour alone after all that togetherness, but that's not the same thing as "it's nice to not have to worry about what anyone else wants to do at all, during the entire vacation, oh-are-you-still there."

The other assumption being made by most is that I am uncomfortable being alone, that I feel conspicuous or awkward. That is simply not the case.

In looking back at my original post, I see that I did suggest that CMs should have cared that I was travelling solo & that was somewhat incorrect. I didn't expect them to be a sort of companion, but just to acknowledge that I was alone & might say a quick something whereas a group would just move on. I had several instances of just rude, nasty & dismissive behavior. This behavior would have been offensive whether I was alone or with a group. I had CMs give snarky I-don't-really-care responses to a simple greeting; had one literally TURN AWAY w/o a word when I said something to her after she had looked me square in the eye & dropped the sides of her mouth in disgust; had another use a tone of voice that was so disdainful & so inappropriate that I would have been offended by that alone had she not also turned away as she was telling me, in essence, that I was interrupting her personal conversation with another CM. In one of my jobs, I am a theatre manager, & if any of my staff had spoken to any of my guests the way I was spoken to, they would have been corrected, written up or sent home, depending on whether it was a 1st offense or they had already been coached. To behave this way at a Disney park, which is the North Star of guest services, which is their defining characteristic, is absolutely unacceptable.

I didn't mean to compare CMs at WDW or Anaheim. I meant to say that I have great knowledge of WDW & have visited many, many times, but do not really care for DL. I know the pride many SoCalers take in having The Original, & I'm not judging that pride. But, the 2 places are vastly different. For example, I find DL tight & always overcrowded whereas WDW always has room to spread, even during very busy times. DL is 2 parks plus an entertainment district & WDW is, I think, 6 parks (I've lost count, w/ all the openings & closings) + a much larger entertainment district. My friend & I once calculated that you could easily spend a very busy 2 weeks at WDW w/o ever setting foot in MK -- in Anaheim, Disneyland is the main attraction. And so on. They're just different.

When I say that I am cured of wanting to visit WDW alone, I don't equate the two: well, I didn't enjoy DL that much, so I wouldn't enjoy WDW that much. It was more like desperately craving ice cream & thinking you could have it for 3 meals a day for a week ... then having the world's largest banana split & thinking, "That did it. I'm good, thanks." I don't want to get stuck in WDW, having lost interest, & finding I have 3 or 4 more days to go before my return flight.

Thank you, again

Almost everyone who has responded (thank you, all!) has made the assumption that traveling w/ others is somehow restricting & I am actually a little shocked by that idea. I do not consider compromise & supporting my family & friends in choosing things to do on vacation as the slightest bit tiresome or restricting. I just don't get that one at all. There have been times when I just needed a half-hour alone after all that togetherness, but that's not the same thing as "it's nice to not have to worry about what anyone else wants to do at all, during the entire vacation, oh-are-you-still there."
When you get married and have your own family, your life is all about compromise. And we all know that Moms, especially, get the short end of the stick on many things. Just because you become a parent, doesn't mean that you are no longer an individual person with your own likes, feelings, wants, and needs. Yes, sometimes parents need a bit of time to themselves to do what they want or be selfish. How is that a bad thing? When you are the one to compromise 24/7, those few days a year is a much needed mental health renewal. It is different when you are single or without kids and just have to take care of yourself. Spending those few days on vacation with others is not the same as going with your kids. And even if someone is single, everyone deserves to be able to do things that they want to do.
It is never an even 50/50 when more than one person goes somewhere, someone always is the one to give up more. Usually if someone doesn't feel that imbalance, then they are probably the one that others are compromising more for.

Ohhhhh, yeah. Yeah. Getting to LAX from there is not pretty.
Have you ever tried the Flyaway bus? Best thing in L.A. in my opinion! If you live in the Valley it's a short drive (or Lyft) to Van Nuys, cheap parking, very frequent, cheap bus departures and zero stress. It's the only way I go to LAX, and I go often.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter