Leave a Legacy tombstones

On our very first visit, these “monuments” were one of only two things in all of WDW that made me think “what is this doing here?” (The other was the carni Dinoland area at AK)

Dan

I loooooove these! It really brings a sense of collective community and history to the park, IMHO. People came before, they were inspired, they built, now YOU can also be inspired and be a part of this great big beautiful tomorrow! ;)

*stops drinking the water* ;)

Why does it look horrible? :confused3

I like it, but maybe that's just me.

Yeah, I mean, I don't really love them or anything, but I don't hate them either. They look just fine to me. I've never understood the hatred for them.

If I did anything with them I might try to consolidate all of the plaques onto as few stones as possible and then remove the remainder, but that's just to free up more walking space. Some of the stones aren't even close to full.

I really don't like them but they do at least fit the design aesthetic of Future World. I would prefer they move but in the grand scheme of things they are not at the top of my "things Disney could do to improve my park experience" list.

Maybe they have to relocate them because of this?

"Disney has previously announced that EPCOT would undertake a complete re-envisioning of both the Main Entrance and also much of Future World. According to the scuttlebutt, this new vision would include a large hotel right at the main entrance. This location would allow the hotel to use the existing Monorail station as a connection for guests of the hotel to the Magic Kingdom."

I don't like them because of their impact on traffic flow.

I'm also a little bummed that these are going away. I love passing by little Cat and her family as I start my trips.

I always thought of them as the EPCOT graveyard. Michael Eisner really did some strange things during his time with the company. The tombstones (and the hand/wand attached to Spaceship Earth) were not the best ideas. The wand is long gone. The graveyard following suit is long overdue.
Hey I miss that wand was it you that got it removed? hehehe

My husband was so confused by these when we entered Epcot, haha. I had to explain to him what they were.

I think they're ok, but the space could probably be used better, imo. I prefer bricks on a walkway to something like this, tbh.

If it were me, I'd move them elsewhere to make room for...oh, I don't know...maybe a fountain. Yeah, a fountain! With big prism-like sculptures! :banana:

I'm not a fan of them, but don't have anything invested in them either. I agree that maybe they could condense the pictures onto fewer stones and maybe then use the stones to outline the area instead of being right in the middle. I do hope if they are moved they are placed somewhere nice for those who have made that investment, sounds like lots of fond memories, and that I do understand.

It’s a poor use of space. They should put a bigger golf ball there. Why? Well why were there 3 Death Stars? Starkiller was a Death Star. More = better. Fact.

My husband was so confused by these when we entered Epcot, haha. I had to explain to him what they were.

I think they're ok, but the space could probably be used better, imo. I prefer bricks on a walkway to something like this, tbh.

Yea I'm sure they could put in some carts and kiosks to sell you stuff. Maybe a big hat? ;)

Why does it look horrible? :confused3

I like it, but maybe that's just me.
Chances are you never saw how beautiful the entrance was when Epcot opened. Many of us are reminded of a cemetery. The original though was to simulate the monoliths from the movie 2001 A Space Odyssey which at the time was the future. They never sold like they expected and for good reason, I think. The quality sucked, they could have done a lot better with that. At one point I thought of buying one and then a saw what they looked like and decided no. All those empty stones were supposed to be filled up with pictures.
But Disney Never said that they would ALWAYS be in WDW. It was my understanding that they were only promise to stay 20 years. Which brings me to my next point...it hasn't been 20 years yet. Sales ended in 2007, which means they are supposed to stay until 2027
Those that haven't passed the time, will still be on display someplace in WDW, probably in Epcot, just not in the entrance, but, after that all bets are off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter