Leaving Soon & Live reports, cruise updates pg19

After seeing the pictures of the shows I'm now tempted to add a short cruise to our (hopefully) trip in 2011. The girls will be 8 & 7 - do you think there's enough for kids to enjoy on the cruises? I've always thought of cruises as an Adult thing?

Are the shows on in the evening or late night?

Most cruise lines now cater for children, Disney cruises are for children or for us that don't want to grow up.
We did our 1st Disney cruise when Matt was 9, I believe its the single best thing we ever did for his development(others have posted this also). Before the 1st cruise he would not goto any kids club, shy, wouldn't speak to anyone until he got to know them well. That 4 night cruise totally changed him, we couldn't get him out of the kids club and he hasn't stopped talking to anyone that will listen for the past 6 years since. He enjoyed it so much we booked a 7 night for the following year, this time he was in the clubs from opening to closing, we had to drag him out to eat and sleep. Now at age 15 he is too old for the clubs but he would love to still be allowed in.
For an idea of whats onboard look at some of the navigators here http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/cr-stateroom-navigator.htm
Latest at the top.

The shows are on twice if you dine at 6pm then the show is on at 8:30pm, if you dine at 8:30pm then the show is on at 6pm. they also did a matinee show 1 day but don't think this is a regular thing, we have not seen it before, shows last 50-60mins.

There are so many factors which combine to affect the way you feel about a place, aren't there? Food and service are the obvious ones, but mood, expectation, appetite, companions, even other diners, all have a significant impact. Seating is a big one for me. Alongside thoroughfares; next to restrooms and kitchen entrances; facing walls; behind pillars; and remote corners are all big no-nos.

No two dining experiences are the same. I could list loads of examples of places we've fallen in love with and then had a less than stellar experience on a subsequent visit and, similarly, plenty where we've given a place a second chance and been pleasantly surprised.

Great post Deb and I agree with every word.

I've always enjoyed the food at Cali Grill but on one occasion we seemed to be surrounded by families with very young (and impatient) children for whom the dress code meant nothing and that brought the whole experience down a bit. Likewise, LeCellier I have eaten at many times and have enjoyed the food but the last 2 occasions we were 'a party of 2' and were stuck in the centre (which I am almost certain was just a thoroughfare without tables many years ago!) and I bet there wasn't much more than a 6 inch gap between the tables. No such thing as a private conversation there.

Because I've been happy with the food at both places, I will return to both, but to LeCellier only as part of a larger group - even then, they do seem to be packin' 'em in these days ;)

Most cruise lines now cater for children, Disney cruises are for children or for us that don't want to grow up.
We did our 1st Disney cruise when Matt was 9, I believe its the single best thing we ever did for his development(others have posted this also). Before the 1st cruise he would not goto any kids club, shy, wouldn't speak to anyone until he got to know them well. That 4 night cruise totally changed him, we couldn't get him out of the kids club and he hasn't stopped talking to anyone that will listen for the past 6 years since. He enjoyed it so much we booked a 7 night for the following year, this time he was in the clubs from opening to closing, we had to drag him out to eat and sleep. Now at age 15 he is too old for the clubs but he would love to still be allowed in.
For an idea of whats onboard look at some of the navigators here http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/cr-stateroom-navigator.htm
Latest at the top.

The shows are on twice if you dine at 6pm then the show is on at 8:30pm, if you dine at 8:30pm then the show is on at 6pm. they also did a matinee show 1 day but don't think this is a regular thing, we have not seen it before, shows last 50-60mins.

Wayne's heard me say this before - our son was exactly the same..
a really shy homebody....until he went on his first disney cruise at the age of 14....
he went to the teen club and we basically didn't see him again, except for meals...
he completely changed from that cruise (and the second cruise)...
he changed in school to becoming one of the school leaders - really outgoing..

he admits that this happened...that the cruise brought him out of his shell...

if only for that, it was worth every penny...

he adored every second of both cruises and adored the CMs working in the teen club...he still quotes them several years later...(he's 22 now)...

all in all it was a wonderful experience for him....and coming from overseas, he was a bit of a novelty, which i think worked in his favor...
the kids were amazed and interested by the fact that he didn't live in the US...

all in all it was a wonderful experience for him....and coming from overseas, he was a bit of a novelty, which i think worked in his favor...
the kids were amazed and interested by the fact that he didn't live in the US...

I believe both our 1st trips on Wonder and Magic Matt was the only child from UK on both ships. Over 4 Disney cruises we never came across anyone(except staff) from UK.
This cruise there were 180 of us onboard, sat in promenade lounge one evening there were 3 familes around me, all from UK. Maybe we have been pushing it too much:rotfl2:

Wow, what a brilliant holiday Wayne .. and FAB-U-LOUS photos too ::yes::

Sorry I never got the chance to get to the meet, time just got away from us

Wow, what a brilliant holiday Wayne .. and FAB-U-LOUS photos too ::yes::

Sorry I never got the chance to get to the meet, time just got away from us

Shame you didn't get there Mandy, it was great to meet up with all who turned up. Ended up being there 3 hours.
Hope you enjoyed staying at the Poly, what about your cruise? did you have a good trip?

Hi Wayne
really enjoying the blog .We are on our last day at BLT after doing our first Disney Cruise.Also stayed at BCV.
We really loved the cruise and would love to do it again.We are going to steal some of your show photos.:rotfl2:We were on the rescue ship !!

The restaurants I agree with UKDEBB .We have eaten in Cali grill many times and have always had a perfect time and food ,but we book for about 7.30 so we have plenty of time to eat before fireworks and I love to watch the sun set.
Le Cellier we went once and was a disaster but I do think we will give it another try.
Boma not our taste.
Yachtsman will definatley go again it was really worth the 2 ,amazing steak.
After the cruise where you are looked after so well it is hard for all of WDW to come up to our standards.
Well I must pack our 100 cases .
Janet

Hi Wayne
really enjoying the blog .We are on our last day at BLT after doing our first Disney Cruise.Also stayed at BCV.
We really loved the cruise and would love to do it again.We are going to steal some of your show photos.:rotfl2:We were on the rescue ship !!

Yachtsman will definatley go again it was really worth the 2 ,amazing steak.
After the cruise where you are looked after so well it is hard for all of WDW to come up to our standards.
Well I must pack our 100 cases .
Janet

Steal all the pics you want. If you want more or higher res let me know, I resize them to post.
Glad you enjoyed the cruise, even though our stateroom host was the worst we have had he was still better than any WDW resort we have stayed at. Are you missing the toilet noise though? :goodvibes Who was your cruise Director? we have had Rachel for 4 cruises, this was 1st time we had someone different, Brent, not as good as Rachel.
The rescue would add a little excitement to the cruise I bet.
Sounds like Yachtsman is somewhere we will have to try. I want to book flights 1st, if OKW/SSR offer with free DDP is still on then we will probably go for it, Matt wants to. I could easily go back to offsite.
Safe travels home.

Pics from Castaway Cay. Got off the ship early so we could get sunbeds without having to walk far and be close to snorkling area, myself and Matt went out snorkling for almost 2 hours, eventually found the Mickey statue and the submarine, never managed to find them on previous trips. Never seen so many fish there.

P1010572Medium.jpg

IMG_1839Medium.jpg

IMG_1846Medium.jpg

IMG_1848Medium.jpg

P1010503Medium.jpg

IMG_1806Medium.jpg

IMG_1810Medium.jpg

IMG_1819Medium.jpg

IMG_1817Medium.jpg

IMG_1820Medium.jpg

IMG_1823Medium.jpg

P1010525Medium.jpg

IMG_1873Medium.jpg

P1010579Medium.jpg

P1010551Medium.jpg

P1010608Medium.jpg

i really shouldnt have read this *** now i want to cruise!! those images are amazing, id love to go there!! another thing to add to the "when the kids are older" list:rotfl2:
thanks wayne - Tracy x

Last evening on the Ship.:sad1:

Menu
P1010630Medium.jpg

P1010626Medium.jpg

Roasted Cornish Hen
IMG_1882Medium.jpg

Garlic and roasemary marinated lamb sirloin, most tasteless meat all week, glad I had ordered a piece of grilled beef tenderloin to go with it:)
IMG_1883Medium.jpg

Baked Alaska, proabably worst dessert of the week, not a great menu compared to rest of week.
IMG_1884Medium.jpg

Chocolate decadence
IMG_1885Medium.jpg

Pic with Laura (server) & Mikey (Assistant server)
IMG_1890Medium.jpg

All week Mikey had been saying how he wished he was taller like Matt so I told him to get on a chair and for once be the tallest.
IMG_1892Medium.jpg

Final towel.
IMG_1893Medium.jpg

Farewell show(this is about all that was worth seeing, acts they had were really poor for final night.
IMG_1900Medium.jpg

IMG_1907Medium.jpg

IMG_1908Medium.jpg

End of a fantastic week.
A few things that I felt should have been better, you get individual margerines onboard instead of butter, maybe others don't mind, we do.
Character breakfast was watered down orange instead of proper fresh juice, this one didn't bother Karen but does me.
Show on last night I thought was really bad, comedian not funny and musician boring.
Only saw our room host once for 10 seconds, all others have been friendly and talkative.
Apart from that not much to fault, shame the 4 nighter next August is as much as we paid for 7 nights this year, too expensive for me, looks like RCCL again if we cruise next year.
Will post a few pics of our final 2 days soon.

Still loving the reports Wayne! Having finally got the hang of snorkelling this year I now feel the need to go on the cruise just so I can look for the Mickey statue...

Regarding signature restaurants, Carl and I really enjoyed Cali Grill on both occasions we've visited due to fantastic servers, but it was topped this year by Citricos, where we thought the food was amazing. We were also given personalised menus for being newlyweds without having to ask for them in advance. Also had a very good server here.

i really shouldnt have read this *** now i want to cruise!! those images are amazing, id love to go there!! another thing to add to the "when the kids are older" list:rotfl2:
thanks wayne - Tracy x

I should be on commission:rotfl2:

17 years ago I didn't want to goto America, wasn't interested in theme parks, hated driving abroad and certainly no intentions of ever getting on a cruise ship. How things have changed.:goodvibes

Shame you didn't get there Mandy, it was great to meet up with all who turned up. Ended up being there 3 hours.
Hope you enjoyed staying at the Poly, what about your cruise? did you have a good trip?

I'm so pleased that the Meet went well Wayne.

Our Cruise was great thanks, there's soom pics on here http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2271039 if you want to take a look

That reminds me, I must get round to typing my Poly Trippy up :)

Still loving the reports Wayne! Having finally got the hang of snorkelling this year I now feel the need to go on the cruise just so I can look for the Mickey statue...

Just seen the 5 pics you have in your signature, Wow, you both look a little different to how you looked at the Poly,:goodvibes

We took some underwater pics of Mickey but on film, hope they turn out OK.

Just seen the 5 pics you have in your signature, Wow, you both look a little different to how you looked at the Poly,:goodvibes

We took some underwater pics of Mickey but on film, hope they turn out OK.

LOL, we scrub up alright, don't we?!

Did you use a disposable underwater for the photos? We had them last time we went to Discovery Cove and the pictures were pretty good. Had them again this year but haven't had them developed yet.

LOL, we scrub up alright, don't we?!

Did you use a disposable underwater for the photos? We had them last time we went to Discovery Cove and the pictures were pretty good. Had them again this year but haven't had them developed yet.

Are you sure you got the right pics? you looked nothing like that 2 days before :rotfl2:

No its not diposable, I saw a canon underwater camera on Ebay couple of years ago which was very cheap so bought that. For what we use it now we could use disposable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter