• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

Also ... I think I'm gonna buy a yoga mat.

I have one by Jade yoga (Harmony) that I got at REI which I love. It is very grippy, which I like--it was probably my main criterion for selection, and the reason why I needed to touch/feel before I bought. Nothing like having your feet slide out while in down dog. It is natural rubber. I have used this regularly for 3 years and it has worn in the rear foot area (makes sense given body weight pressure).

I had a Manduka, which I gave away (to one of my yoga instructors). It was too hard. I could just never get comfortable. It was a pricy mistake for me.

If you can, spend the money to buy a good one. Gaia, Manduka, and others are pricey but well worth it in comfort and longevity. Plus, you won't slip as much on them with sweat hands.
Thanks or the recommendations! Someone at work also recommended Manduka. I have to decide what I'm willing to pay, since I don't know how much I'll be using it post-coronavirus.

I have one by Jade yoga (Harmony) that I got at REI which I love. It is very grippy, which I like--it was probably my main criterion for selection, and the reason why I needed to touch/feel before I bought. Nothing like having your feet slide out while in down dog. It is natural rubber. I have used this regularly for 3 years and it has worn in the rear foot area (makes sense given body weight pressure).

I had a Manduka, which I gave away (to one of my yoga instructors). It was too hard. I could just never get comfortable. It was a pricy mistake for me.

Interesting to hear that you didn't like the Manduka, since I've only heard good things about it (although honestly, I haven't really looked into it that much). I would love to check out yoga mats in person, but social distancing means I'm trying to only shop at the grocery store and also not touch things too much. Stupid coronavirus. I will look into Jade yoga and see if they have one that looks like I might like it. Thanks for the recommendation!

I think I'm going with the manduka begin mat, which I can get for about $38 (including tax, free shipping) from REI. If I don't like it ... I've spent $40 on worse things.
It's currently estimated to arrive March 23rd ... hopefully I'm still here then. The way things are at the moment, I'm contemplating heading over to the parents' in Queens at any moment. We'll see. Maybe I'll hold off and go early next week.

EDIT: Yeah, I know, that's not the highest end yoga mat. But I don't really need a super great quality one because I'm using it for barre (which can be done on a hardwood floor mostly) more than yoga. I have grip socks if I need them, and if the grip is really bad, I can try to buy a cheap towel.

Last edited:
Just wanted to drop this link my coworker sent me:
https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/fr...us_a5_b-bx_Ib_TsDD-TgUn-naL9FqL2frGJMeR1E5DpQIt's a list of fitness studios that are doing online classes. Gonna try and maybe catch FlyBarre and/or Pure Barre streaming workouts if I can. Maybe I'll check out Rumble or Barry's Bootcamp, but I'm not sure I'm in the right place for either of those right now.
I'm also considering downloading the Peleton app. But I'm gonna wait until next week to decide. I want to see how this week's schedule goes and if I have time to add in new workouts.

Just wanted to drop this link my coworker sent me:
https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/fr...us_a5_b-bx_Ib_TsDD-TgUn-naL9FqL2frGJMeR1E5DpQIt's a list of fitness studios that are doing online classes. Gonna try and maybe catch FlyBarre and/or Pure Barre streaming workouts if I can. Maybe I'll check out Rumble or Barry's Bootcamp, but I'm not sure I'm in the right place for either of those right now.
I'm also considering downloading the Peleton app. But I'm gonna wait until next week to decide. I want to see how this week's schedule goes and if I have time to add in new workouts.
That’s a really helpful link! I bought an even crappier $25 yoga mat, so don’t feel too bad.

I am very much in favor of social distancing. Let's slow down the spread of this thing so that it doesn't overwhelm our healthcare system. Please.

What I'm not in favor of is how judgemental social distancing has made people. Everyone's social distancing is different. For some people it means entirely staying inside. For others it means controlling what outside-the-house activities you do and when. There's no right or wrong way to social distance (unless you're not doing it at all - that's wrong), so maybe don't judge people who do things a little differently than you do. This is a situation where we should be treating other people kindly, and instead everyone's trying to prove that they're better than anyone else by being the best social distancer.

Nope. Not having it. Social distance however you want. I don't care. Do what works best for you. And don't judge me for doing what's best for me.

Also, WASH YOUR HANDS!

I'm supposed to be at work right now but I can't concentrate so I'm only half working until my 4pm meeting and then calling it a day after that meeting (probably).
I went for a run today. Even though I ran 13.1 a week and a half ago, I still feel like I'm close to square one, which is disappointing but not surprising since I'm barely running. I want to try to make a plan for the next few months and see if I can stick to it. I'm trying to decide between getting to 6-7 miles during social distancing and then targeting a June half (if any of those exist) or going for 5-6 now, upping that to a max of 7-8 during the summer, and then targetting a late October or November half. We shall see. I just think having a plan and having something on the horizon will help me feel like I actually can run, since right now I feel like I'm starting over with every run.

I feel you there. I was eyeing a half this Spring, but everything has been canceled so my motivation to build mileage went out the window. I don't typically work from home so these last 10 days have been very weird. We thought we would be back by the 30th, but now the state has a stay at home order till 4/7 and they just announced schools and daycares are closed through 5/4 so I bet we will be home longer than the 7th. I am trying to stay active as sitting all day in one room is taking a toll. I am hoping to keep up a base and then pick a race once everything has settled. We do have a 5k in June so maybe that will happen :confused3

I feel you there. I was eyeing a half this Spring, but everything has been canceled so my motivation to build mileage went out the window. I don't typically work from home so these last 10 days have been very weird. We thought we would be back by the 30th, but now the state has a stay at home order till 4/7 and they just announced schools and daycares are closed through 5/4 so I bet we will be home longer than the 7th. I am trying to stay active as sitting all day in one room is taking a toll. I am hoping to keep up a base and then pick a race once everything has settled. We do have a 5k in June so maybe that will happen :confused3

It's definitely tough to keep running distance when nobody knows when races will resume. I've been trying hard to stay active despite my office being across the room from my bed (being at my parents' helps because at least there are stairs), but my step count is definitely down. I've mostly been doing 30 minute barre classes online (my studio has a lot of online classes that I get free access to as a member), and my studio is starting 60-90 minute livestream classes soon, so I'm hoping to sign up for those to stay motivated. It's tough. My office is scheduled to reopen April 13th, but I don't know if that will change. I hate that everything is so up in the air right now, but I guess that's how it goes when you're dealing with a pandemic.

I ran twice last week! ~3 miles on Monday and 1.9 miles on Thursday (I was running late and needed to get to work). Plan for this week is 5K Monday and 2-2.5 mi Wednesday. Gotta try to get out early tomorrow because I want to check in to work around 9ish.

Also did 3 barre3 live stream classes and an Instagram SaltDrop class. So things are okay. This week and next week are gonna be a little tough because of Passover stuff, but I'll do the best I can. That's all I can ever ask of myself.

Happy Palm Sunday (is that the right greeting?) if applicable.

I ran twice last week! ~3 miles on Monday and 1.9 miles on Thursday (I was running late and needed to get to work). Plan for this week is 5K Monday and 2-2.5 mi Wednesday. Gotta try to get out early tomorrow because I want to check in to work around 9ish.

Also did 3 barre3 live stream classes and an Instagram SaltDrop class. So things are okay. This week and next week are gonna be a little tough because of Passover stuff, but I'll do the best I can. That's all I can ever ask of myself.

Happy Palm Sunday (is that the right greeting?) if applicable.
Good job running twice! Pedestrians and cyclists in my area haven’t been steering clear of me well enough for my liking, so I’ve mostly been running on the new treadmill. It’s even harder (physically and mentally) than I remember and I am SOOOO SLOW on it. I’m equal parts grateful and dreadful.

Happy Passover! By the time you read this, I hope you enjoyed the extra-long Yom Tov/Shabbat.

Good job running twice! Pedestrians and cyclists in my area haven’t been steering clear of me well enough for my liking, so I’ve mostly been running on the new treadmill. It’s even harder (physically and mentally) than I remember and I am SOOOO SLOW on it. I’m equal parts grateful and dreadful.
I've been lucky that not too many people are out and about here, so I can usually social distance and run okay. My friends who are still in Manhattan say it's pretty difficult to get out there. Although apparently Times Square is great for running right now.
I hope the treadmill isn't too bad! It's probably great training for the mental suckiness of a marathon.
Happy Passover! By the time you read this, I hope you enjoyed the extra-long Yom Tov/Shabbat.
Thank you! 3 days stuck in the house with my family ... super fun. (It actually wasn't that bad, but ... I miss normal. Everyone in my family misses going to shul. It's weird.)

I hope the treadmill isn't too bad! It's probably great training for the mental suckiness of a marathon.
Honestly, it’s terrible. Just awful. It feels completely different from running, like I’m starting from scratch. Intervals are the only way I’ll be able to go beyond 3 miles on this thing. First world problem for sure and I totally brought this upon myself. :charac2:

In other news, I made my first non-disastrous vegan matzo balls, along with charoset so good that my boyfriend started eating it straight from the food processor. Quarantine eating has been goooood.

Honestly, it’s terrible. Just awful. It feels completely different from running, like I’m starting from scratch. Intervals are the only way I’ll be able to go beyond 3 miles on this thing. First world problem for sure and I totally brought this upon myself. :charac2:
Treadmill definitely takes some getting used to. But we're living in crazy times and for now life is just about adjusting to whatever our new normal is ... and I guess for you that means the treadmill. There are definitely worse problems to have, but I get why this is tough.

In other news, I made my first non-disastrous vegan matzo balls, along with charoset so good that my boyfriend started eating it straight from the food processor. Quarantine eating has been goooood.
Vegan matzo balls? Nice! I refuse to eat anything with schmaltz, so this idea definitely appeals to me.
Did you do a seder? Or was the charoset just for fun?

Presented without comment (although it speaks for itself):

Peak Week - NYC Marathon:

Peak Week - Princess Half Marathon:

End of March/Beginning of April:

(Actually, it's less bad than I thought it was ... but 3 barre3 classes + SaltDrop feels like a bit of a fluke)

Vegan matzo balls? Nice! I refuse to eat anything with schmaltz, so this idea definitely appeals to me.
Did you do a seder? Or was the charoset just for fun?
We had a mini seder for just the two of us, punctuated by four glasses of wine. I decided not to go the zoom route, so having me in charge is like the blind leading the blind, because I was pretty tuned out as a kid during our lonnnnng seders with observant family members. It was important to me to do something this year for comfort, even if I passed over most of the Haggadah. Which I sort of feel like I have to apologize for, but I’m not sure why.

We had a mini seder for just the two of us, punctuated by four glasses of wine. I decided not to go the zoom route, so having me in charge is like the blind leading the blind, because I was pretty tuned out as a kid during our lonnnnng seders with observant family members. It was important to me to do something this year for comfort, even if I passed over most of the Haggadah. Which I sort of feel like I have to apologize for, but I’m not sure why.

Honestly, most of the Haggah is fairly unnecessary anyway (and I say this as someone who says the whole thing ... and always gets bored in the middle). As long as you went over the basic story, I think that's what matters most. Everyone's seders were a little weird. This was the first time in my life that I did a seder without a grandparent there (although my dad has been leading the seder for a while, so at least that was consistent, it was just the empty seat at the other end of the table that was weird). I feel like this year it's the thought that counts. Nobody did a normal seder.

Glad to hear that you are still getting some classes in even if virtual. The weather here has started to improve so been able to get out more to run. I agree that everything is weird right now. Easter definitely did not feel normal by any stretch. Trying to make the best of the situation. At least everyone is still healthy so there is that.

Glad to hear that you are still getting some classes in even if virtual. The weather here has started to improve so been able to get out more to run. I agree that everything is weird right now. Easter definitely did not feel normal by any stretch. Trying to make the best of the situation. At least everyone is still healthy so there is that.

I'm glad to hear you're getting outside to run! I haven't been doing that as much as I wanted ... I need to be better about it. It's definitely all weird. But right now just being healthy is a huge blessing, so I'm trying to focus more on that and less on what I'm not doing.

Day 6,852 of "stay-at-home" (I may be exaggerating that number a bit):
I'm still doing okay. Hope y'all are too. I'm back at the apartment and the change of scenery (and increased independence) is nice. Gotta do a small grocery run on Monday (although I can get a Fresh Direct slot on Thursday ... but there's some stuff I'd rather have before then, like yogurt).

Hot Take: I hate the 7pm healthcare workers salute thing. It's so frikkin loud and out of nowhere. It has freaked me out every single night since I got back to the apartment.

Back to normal takes...
barre3 Livestream classes have been great. I chat with the instructors, I chat with the other students ... it's nice to talk to someone that isn't my roommate, my family, or my coworkers. And the classes are good too. I miss being in the studio, but this is a nice alternative.

I've been running a little bit too. Did 5.5 miles on Friday. Hoping to do 10 on Tuesday. NYC is a little eerie right now ... here are some pictures from Friday's run:

I've been thinking about buying one of the INKnBURN masks (if I can get one ... apparently they sell out in minutes) because some of them are cute, but I have an aversion to paying for things when my multitude of random running buffs somewhat serve the same purpose. So we'll see how that goes.

Anyway ... that's life with the new normal. I hope y'all are doing well. And as always, let me know if there's anything I can do to help or support you in anyway as we all deal with this major change to our lives and routines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter