Longer stay or larger unit? *Updated on pg. 3*

Desnik

<font color=teal>I actually love packing and plann
I cannot make up my mind so I've come here for some advice. ;)

I am planning our Aug. 2012 trip (end of the month) and I know that we want to stay at BLT. We love the location. When I say "we" I mean DH, DD13 & DS8.

I don't have a lot of points to work with and am already borrowing so that is why I am having a hard time deciding what to do. My choices are a 1 bedroom LV for 5 nights or a studio LV for 9 nights. I have been in both of these rooms during a tour at BLT so I know that the studio is small but for me it is doable. But would it be doable for 10 days?:rotfl2:

My kids have no issues sleeping in the same bed and we plan on being in the parks daily. We never cook in the villa but I always use the washer/dryer (we have been staying in 1 bedrooms the past couple of trips). My kids want to stay longer in the studio, DH & I can't decide.

Another big question is, am I worrying about all this for nothing? Will I even be able to get a LV studio or 1 bedroom at BLT 7 months out for the end of Aug?

Thanks in advance for any help!!:goodvibes

Tough decision. 10 days in a studio with two kid might just be enough to drive me crazy. We are going through the same dilema right now, we have my parents coming on a trip with us, we initially thought a two bedroom, but a 1 bedroom would fit all of us and we can stay an extra two days. Good luck with the decision.

It's a tough call. Our family of 4 (2 teen DDs) would not do well in a studio for 9 nights. If I were deciding, I would rather be comfortable in a 1 bedroom for 5 nights vs. a studio for 9 nights, especially having experienced the larger room over the past few visits. However, if your family gets along extremely well and you don't mind the cramped space and extra cost for meals and entertainment for the extra nights, then the studio may be the right option for you. Whatever you decide, I hope you have a great trip!

similar situation here trying to make not enough points work for an extended family trip for 2012. Making up the difference by spending 3 nights at a value resort. I'd do the bigger unit for 5 nights and go OOP for the rest.

I did think about a split stay but DH is difficult, he hates a split stay. He likes to check in and unpack and not move until its time to go home. It's funny because he never does any of the packing and unpacking!;):rotfl:

Anyway you can make it a one bedroom for 6 nights? Kind of get the best of both worlds, especially if you are borrowing anyway??

I'd really want the extra time, but don't think I could handle 9 nights, 2 kids in a studio.

Would you consider Old Key West? Much larger rooms, and lower in points.

We used to be hell bent on location, now it's all about the points and time there. They are all beautiful resorts.

Good luck with your decision.

Anyway you can make it a one bedroom for 6 nights? Kind of get the best of both worlds, especially if you are borrowing anyway??

I'd really want the extra time, but don't think I could handle 9 nights, 2 kids in a studio.

Would you consider Old Key West? Much larger rooms, and lower in points.

We used to be hell bent on location, now it's all about the points and time there. They are all beautiful resorts.

Good luck with your decision.

I only have 200 points and I am borrowing all of them from 2013 for this trip in 2012. So I can't do longer than 5 nights in a 1 bedroom at BLT.

We did consider other resorts, but not OKW. We don't like it at all. We have stayed there and all agreed its not for us. We have stayed at all the other resorts too so we were also trying to stay somewhere different since we have never stayed at BLT. The location and transportation is swaying me for BLT also because when going to the parks DD will need to be in a wheelchair. She has RSD and can't walk long distances or be on her feet for long periods of time.

Thank you all for the help so far!! You have all brought up good points and things that I will be thinking about further.

Personally, I'd go with the 1BR in the scenario listed. It's a lot of days to concede vs the studio, but for us the benefits would be:

• Mom & Dad get their own bedroom
  • DS and DD get their own beds at BLT using the sleeper chair
  • Washer/dryer in the villa...for us this is a huge benefit
  • Extra bathroom...another big benefit
  • Leg room...just makes the vacation more leisurely.

5 nights/6 days is enough time to enjoy the parks and still enjoy the relaxed setting of a 1BR. Again, this is what would be our choice. I can certainly see why others would prefer 4 extra days at WDW over enhanced accommodations.

I think it's way too much if a personal decision to let others make it for you, but.... I do know that I could NOT stay in a studio for 9 nights even if it was just 2 adults, let alone 2 adults and 2 youngsters. If you need to have a wheelchair in that tiny BLT studio besides, I KNOW I couldn't do it. There is virtually no way to move around in a BLT studio with the sofa bed pulled out. I don't even know where you could possibly store a wheel chair even folded up in there with 4 people. That would be an issue for 5 days, let alone 9-10.

Add to the above the fact that when we have stayed 9-10 days in the past, it has gotten long for us. We actually are glad to be going home. We have gone back to the 1 week trips because it leaves us wanting more and being happy to go home and plan again.

On the other hand....Since you are virtually wiping out 2 years worth of points to do this trip, maybe longer is better.

Oh, and I couldn't do without an inroom laundry that long either. I HATE going down to a common laundry on vacation....It takes too much time out of my day.

We place the highest priority on room size and choose a 1B over a Studio pretty much every time. I'd sooner sacrifice a specific resort or view if necessary.

For a couple of nights, I could get by with a Studio. But 9 days with no privacy, no washer / dryer, no kitchen...no thanks.

I don't know if this fits your needs or budget, but have you considered renting some points to extend your stay in a 1 br? Plus, although it's not a big difference each day, if you look into renting, maybe you could reduce the cost somewhat by trying for a standard view vs a lake view? At the usual rental of around $10/point it might add up to a couple of hundred $$ saved.

We stayed in a 1 br last year, and it was just me, my wife and our adult son, and the extra space and such as mentioned by the pp were definitely great.

We do 13 days in a Studio with our 3 and 4 yro DD. We have a great time and wouldn't change it. We choose to go longer than stay in a bigger room. I would like the kitchen option or laundry in room, but oh well. I can do laundry and cook when I get home from my 2 week vaction.

you say you realized how small the studios at BLT is and are willing to do it anyway.

so next question at night does anyone in your party need to go to the bathroom - he/she could accidentally wake everyone in the party up because there is just not enough room to walk around once the sleeper sofa is open.

now I love studios and stay in them all the time. the free laundry mat is on the first floor. so that for me is not a problem. the kitchennett is good enough for most things. (okay do miss a real oven)

To me 7 days is a short, rushed trip, so I would absolutely choose the studio.
I'm not sold on the BLT studio, though. I may attempt BWV to save points and get roll on boats to 2 parks instead.

Oh, I missed the BLT part. We are at Beach Club. We did BLT in the past. Yep, really small. We also switch up between at least 2 places while we are there. AKL and BCV.

I guess the reason why the size of the studio didn't bother me so much on the tour was because we weren't staying in it, just walking through it.:lmao:

Now that I am home & looking at the pictures we took of it I am asking myself, can I really do it for 9 nights? All the other pluses are making me feel like I should just do the studio, then I think of all the valid points you all bring up for the 1 bedroom, and you can see how this is a tough choice for me.

As far as the wheelchair being in the room, it won't be. We just need it for the parks so we'll rent one when we get there. At the resort we take it easy and there are many spots for DD to sit and take a break so we usually don't need one at the resort. If we should need the wheelchair at the resort it does fold up.

As for the bathroom in the middle of the night, I'm the only one that is an issue for. The rest of them sleep like the dead :rotfl: You should see me trying to wake them up in the morning even at WDW, no early park days for our family.:rotfl2:

I am trying to stick to a budget so paying OOP for a split stay(DH doesn't want that anyway) at a non DVC resort is out and so is renting points. This won't be our only vacation in the summer so I need to keep this one on budget.

The was I would look at it, could you survive the short trip?

Imho, 4 full days at Disney, with extra pushing, would be a lot more grueling than 8 half days (with lots of mid-day relaxation)

Boy, this is a common dilema, and everyone has their own answer. In our case we usually go for the larger unit. That means that although there are only two of us, we usually book 1 BRs. That's because DH doesn't get unlimited vacation time to "de-stress" So since we can't go for quantity, we go for maximum quality, which is the 1 BR. Maybe if DH were retired, and thus had unlimited vacation time and less stress, we'd consider studios more often. Nah! We're spoiled DVCers!

Those BLT studios look rather tight.

I also recommend BWV, with a request to be close to the elevators for medical reasons.

I have foot problems and own at BWV. DH and I stayed at Contemporary in our pre-DVC days. With all things considered, I would probably go for the BWV studio. If you believe your daughter will have no problems getting from the parking lots of the parks to the front door then she will not have a problem getting to the bus stop at BWV.

My one major concern would be waiting for a bus from MK back to the resort. There are NO BENCHES really close at the bus waiting areas at MK. You can spend 20 minutes waiting for a return bus. We've had excellent luck lately. You could consider getting a cab for this one thing.

I DO suggest BWV over BCV. Many people on the boards talk about how convenient it is to just walk over from BCV to EP. Let me tell you, if you have mobility issues, that is not a short walk! I'd much rather take the boat into Epcot than trek from the back of BCV!

One other thought...a longer trip would mean that you could take mid-day breaks at the room.

I wish people understood that even though someone may function normally in the real world, they may be impaired to walk 10 miles a day at Disney!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter