Longer stay or larger unit? *Updated on pg. 3*

If you prefer One Bedroom villas but are resigned to stay in a Studio this one time, the one piece of advice I would add is to avoid borrowing all of the points and cut the trip down to maybe 6-7 nights. Sure 9 nights is better than 7 but your enjoyment level is bound to diminish over the course of the trip--particularly if the close quarters start to play a role.

I'm sure there are many people who are content with a Studio villa. But since about 2/3 of all DVC villas are One Bedroom or larger, obviously there are many more who prefer the luxury of a bigger accommodation.

Studios will always be more economical but unless you are content with that size villa going forward, you gotta compromise somewhere along the way.

We just stayed 9 nights in a BLT studio. We had no problems with the size, but there were only two adults in the room. With a lake view you'll have a good chance of being able to use the balcony in the afternoons (whereas MK views are too hot and sunny in the afternoons), so that will give the family some more living space. You would have plenty of storage space. The kitchen has a pullout pantry as well as drawers and shelving. And there's room for the luggage in hallway in front of the connecting door to the lockoff 1BR.

The bathroom was okay, but the sink area was really small. Also there isn't a lot of space for the toiletries. No drawers, just some under sink shelves and small shelving space tucked into the wall. I ended up moving some bathroom items into the kitchen figuring as long as we weren't brushing/combing hair it'd be okay. That way one of us could be in the kitchen finishing up while the other was using the sink in the bathroom. The worse part of the bathroom was where to hang all the towels. They only give you one towel bar that is located at the end of the tub. There isn't even a place to hang the hand towel. We thought about hanging the towels on the shower rod but the hooks for the shower curtain were rusty. We compromised and pushed back the curtain and cleaned the rod and DH hung his towel there.

As to the laundry, the laundry room is on the first floor just off of the north elevators. There are three washers and 6 dryers. It was really convenient. We sometimes sat at the pool while the laundry was going or sometimes stayed in our room. By having access to more than one washer and dryer the laundry was done really quick. And they are full size machines so more clothes fit into them than the stack washer/dryer in most of the DVC resorts.

A 1BR at BLT is fabulous. The living room area is really wide and the kitchen really nice and there are two bathrooms.

Maybe you should consider a split stay. A few days at BLT and the rest of trip at a cheaper point resort. I would move from the studio to the larger villa too. That way you only have a limited time being on top of each other in a small studio.

We just returned on Saturday from an 8 day stay. Our last 4 nights, we were in a BLT-LV studio with the two of us and our 5 yo son. We loved the views and my son was in heaven! The location can't be beat for getting back and forth to MK, although the fastest route is walking. If you take the monorail, you have to stop at the Poly and GF before getting to MK. If you want to go to Epcot, plan at least 40-45 minutes via the monorail. The other parks you would have to go by bus. Fortunately, the AK bus stopped at the Contemporary bus stop before going to Poly, so it was empty. We did not go to HS during the 4 days we were at BLT.

We were most bothered by the room size. Granted, we spent the previous 4 night in a Kidani 2BR, so it was a huge difference. But, we were in an OKW studio earlier this year and it was much bigger than the BLT studio. Not only is the sleeping area cramped with the hide-a-bed open, but the bathroom is really small. Getting ready in the AM was difficult, even though it was just the two of us. Personally, I don't think I would ever stay in a BLT studio again with more than two people. To maximize your time, I like a PP's idea of doing 4 nights in a studio followed by 3 nights in a 1BR. You could consider buying the up to 24 points from DVC for $15/pt if needed, especially if you are booking at 7 months. I generally take length of stay over size of room, but after last week in the BLT studio, I will look at things a little differently when planning future trips.

Tough decision . . . good luck and let us know what you decide!

I'm with Mickey's Apprentice...BWV may be a better choice for a studio. We've stayed there with my 85 yo mother, and it worked well, although it was in a 1 BR. The boats are very convenient, and certainly no farther than walking to the monorail or directly to MK. (That is, if you're near the elevator at BWV.)

We've also stayed at BLT in a studio with 3 adults for 5 nights (including both 85 yo parents). It was very awkward with the way it's configured, in addition to it being small. I/we were always "skirting around" each other trying to get to the bathroom/kitchen area. It was like someone was always in the way. There is NO WAY I would stay there with 3 people again, unless one was very little. There is, however, a lot of storage, so that wasn't a problem. It was more of an "everyone's in the way" problem.

Good luck with your decision! Just know what to expect, and have a great time!

Did a last minute trip with DW and DS(4) 2 years ago around NYE. 9 nights at different studios, OKW, BLT, BWV. Moving was no big deal as the resort moves your luggage for you. Go to park in morning and evening go home to new resort.

While location of BLT makes it nice when going to Magic Kingdom, it's not that big a deal when going to other parks. BLT is our least favorite resort from unit size and set-up. Feels too much like a hotel. Both my wife and I travel a lot and are tired of the hotel feeling. Plus you check in at the contemporary so to me it has a red headed stepchild feel to it. Pool is poorly located in my opinion as the sun is blocked by the building for most of the afternoon. Guess it's a matter of opinion. With the point premium I doubt we'll stay there again.

We were comfortable but cramped in a studio for 9 nights, and that was 3 of us. I would max stay and max room size as best you can. Have fun!

You all have given such great advice & I am really taking into consideration everything being said here.

Thank you so much to those who were just in a BLT studio for giving me a first hand opinion having just been there. It really helps.

We have stayed in a studio at SSR, BWV, & AKV with no issues about space but all those trips were no longer than 5 days. The lack of counter service options at the BW really bother us & feel the room decor is lacking but I do love the location & the BW at night. We really just have our hearts set on BLT for this trip.

DH said he doesn't mind splitting the stay as long as we are still at BLT. So now I am thinking maybe I should split it up a few days in a studio followed by a few days in a 1 bedroom. If I do that then the trip can only be 6 nights. My other option I am now considering is to just stay in the studio but for 7 nights.

Keep the advice coming, thank you all so much!!!:goodvibes

So now I am thinking maybe I should split it up a few days in a studio followed by a few days in a 1 bedroom. If I do that then the trip can only be 6 nights. My other option I am now considering is to just stay in the studio but for 7 nights.

I am not a split stay person...just don't care for it. But if you don't mind it, it sounds like the 6 night studio/1BR combo might be good. By the time you need to do laundry, you would be in the 1BR.

Part of your answer is how long do you really want to be at WDW? For us, 6 nights is plenty long if we are not going off-site.

First of all, let me disclose that we have never stayed at BLT (although we really want to). That being said, regardless of the resort, I would choose the longer stay over the size of the room. I am a 1-BR kind of gal b/c I do love my washer and dryer, but I would gladly use the laundry room for the chance to stay 4 extra nights! Your talking almost twice as long of a vacation (5 vs 9 nights). Now that my kids are older, we spend most of our time out of the room. If you spend a lot of time in the room that might sway me to suggest the 1 BR but if you think you will not be in the room except to sleep... hands down pick the studio! :thumbsup2

PS: Just something to think about: longer stay = more money spent on food, tickets, etc. That would be my biggest consideration.

If possible, I would probably go Standard view for the 1BR portion to save some points. If not available, I would book the LV studio then wait list for SV 1BR.

We are now in this exact situation. We are squeezing in a little trip in feb with left over points and we can only afford a studio. There will be 4 of us DH and me and our 2 girls aged 14 and 9 for 10 nights at OKW. We've talked it round and round and we see so many cons with the room that we've almost cancelled and paid cash! I think we've been spoilt by DVC we are so used to big villas now but roll back to pre ownership and we were happy and excited to be staying to be staying at All Stars and thought we'd hit the big time if we were at a moderate resort. Looking at it this way I have accepted our studio stay, we are going to be in our favourite place as a family. I have friends here in the UK that would love to take their kids but can't afford 1 trip this is our girls 5th time out. We are lucky to be able to go so regularly and we are going to focus on that and not floor space. Next trip 2013 will be back to. 2 bed though that's for sure!!

I would choose length over size. 100% if you cannot leave BLT.

I also would choose size over location. *

I would have no issues split staying 1st 4 nights cash ressie @ POR/FQ then 5 nights 1 bedroom blt. (IF $$ was in your budget you could use MS and prolly link rooms to not move.) I would prolly do DDP in POR, and get savings for buffets, and dinner show or 2 in.

*IE is a 1 bedroom at BVW stand room was more days than 5 @ BLT.. easy pick; you might even make 7 nights in a value 1 bedroom at AKV.

I couldn't do a studio for more than a couple of days. I've become very spoiled over the years with the kitchen, laundry, more than 1 bathroom, TV etc. Plus how are you going to hang 4 swimsuits everyday? OUr kids live to swim even at WDW, and love going to the resort pool. Plus I know you said you weren't cooking, but it's nice to have plenty of fridge space for sodas/juice/beer, fruit, etc.

Anyway, no matter what you decide, it's WDW, and I hope you have a great trip!!

I would choose a longer stay!!! When we get there I never want to leave, lol. If you were going with 4 adults in a studio, I would say forget it. But with 2 children it should be fine!!!

We only use studios & always try to get the maximum # of days / nights out of a trip. We decided to try BLT over next spring break because we figured it would be convenient to walk to / from MK with the heavy crowds & overcrowded buses. We're also only 3 people and are only staying for 6 nights. I'm already wondering if it will feel like the little cabins on a ship. I'm afraid we'll hate how small it is. After touring the BLT studio at SSR a couple of years ago we knew we'd never plan a LONG trip in it. It's just toooo small and they are just too point intensive. I also would not be a fan of wasting time with a split stay. I know you've said you have your heart set on BLT but you could get soooo much more unit somewhere else for your 200 points. I would seriously consider staying somewhere else for this trip & just save BLT for a long weekend sometime. All the other studios at all the other properties are larger. BLT got the short end of the yard stick on that one. At the end of August you could get a 1 bedroom elsewhere AND stay longer than a week. Win / Win.

I know this is treasonous, but could you possibly do 5 nights in the 1 bedroom and then stay *gasp* off-site or value for another 3-4 nights on cash? I'd want the long trip but particularly with longer stays don't think I'd be able to do it without the washer/dryer and kitchen since dining on long stays can get $$. Only time we're okay with studios is if its for a quick weekend since we're timeshare-spoiled now.
This past trip I only had enough points for 5 nights in a 2 bedroom villa, but we added on a couple of nights ahead before friends arrived at DLH on rented points so it was pretty reasonable. Then after the villa we added a few nights due to the way our flights worked out ... had been considering going to another non-Disney park but our AP's made staying near Disney the cheapest option so we moved to the Marriott and it wasn't as painful as I thought it would be leaving the villa since the Marriott upgraded us to concierge for free ...

We only use studios & always try to get the maximum # of days / nights out of a trip. We decided to try BLT over next spring break because we figured it would be convenient to walk to / from MK with the heavy crowds & overcrowded buses. We're also only 3 people and are only staying for 6 nights. I'm already wondering if it will feel like the little cabins on a ship. I'm afraid we'll hate how small it is. After touring the BLT studio at SSR a couple of years ago we knew we'd never plan a LONG trip in it. It's just toooo small and they are just too point intensive. I also would not be a fan of wasting time with a split stay. I know you've said you have your heart set on BLT but you could get soooo much more unit somewhere else for your 200 points. I would seriously consider staying somewhere else for this trip & just save BLT for a long weekend sometime. All the other studios at all the other properties are larger. BLT got the short end of the yard stick on that one. At the end of August you could get a 1 bedroom elsewhere AND stay longer than a week. Win / Win.

The only 1 bedrooms we can stay in for 7 nights are OKW, which I mentioned is not an option for us because we don't like it, and AKV Kidani standard view which is what we have done the past two years. We wanted something different this time and plan on being in the parks and feel AKV is just too far from everything. Oh and the parks we go to are MK, Epcot & maybe 1 day at DHS.

I know this is treasonous, but could you possibly do 5 nights in the 1 bedroom and then stay *gasp* off-site or value for another 3-4 nights on cash? I'd want the long trip but particularly with longer stays don't think I'd be able to do it without the washer/dryer and kitchen since dining on long stays can get $$. Only time we're okay with studios is if its for a quick weekend since we're timeshare-spoiled now.
This past trip I only had enough points for 5 nights in a 2 bedroom villa, but we added on a couple of nights ahead before friends arrived at DLH on rented points so it was pretty reasonable. Then after the villa we added a few nights due to the way our flights worked out ... had been considering going to another non-Disney park but our AP's made staying near Disney the cheapest option so we moved to the Marriott and it wasn't as painful as I thought it would be leaving the villa since the Marriott upgraded us to concierge for free ...

Staying off site isn't an option for us for a bunch of reasons but also, DH hates a split stay and also trying to stay on budget, a cash ressie or non DVC resort is out too.

Thank you both so much for presenting other options for me to consider!! As I read my own answers I think I am closer to choosing the studio for 7 nights. If I did that I would also not have to use all our points. Hmmm:scratchin

A thought I haven't seen expressed yet: I have stayed in BLT studios twice--once LV and once SV...they are small, but I did not find them intolerably small...but what I did notice was how easy and pleasant it was to "expand" the space...

My ground floor villa opened onto a patio that was directly across from the "beach" and lawns leading to the Contemporary...that provided a huge amount of space in which kids (or adults) could sit, relax, play--still in sight and easily monitored (for kids) and not all "stuffed" into the room...

Plus the community hall, lobby, courtyard, pool area and all the public spaces over at the Contemporary (many that even have tv's going!) all provide "hang out space" that also allow for easy monitoring of children...

So, you could plan a 9-night visit knowing that if you plan on using the common areas for relaxation time, your time "stuffed" into the small studio could be pretty limited--you don't need "walk around space" when you're sleeping...you do need some space getting ready in the mornings, and that time might be a bit crammed (altho a couple people could walk over to the Contemporary to get coffee/rolls or whatever while the other couple shower/dress...and then the dressed/showered ones could take their rolls/juice/coffee onto the patio (works less well for a balcony) or outside on the grounds while the other two get ready...

Anyway, just a thought if you'd really like to extend your time ... seems to me the choice between 5 nights and 9 nights is a big deal...if it were an extra day/night or two, it would be a closer call...but giving up 4 nights/5 days for space would be a hard choice for me to make!

Good luck w/whatever you decide, and have a great time!

The only 1 bedrooms we can stay in for 7 nights are OKW, which I mentioned is not an option for us because we don't like it, and AKV Kidani standard view which is what we have done the past two years. We wanted something different this time and plan on being in the parks and feel AKV is just too far from everything. Oh and the parks we go to are MK, Epcot & maybe 1 day at DHS.

I didn't even bring up OKW bcuz I saw that you said that you didn't like it and we don't like OKW either so I wouldn't push it on anyone BUT if I were considering a LONG trip and was trying to save on points.... I would also consider SSR which is reasonably priced on the points (WE happen to LIKE it there too). I just don't think I could do a BLT studio with 4 people for 9 days. I am worried about 3 of us staying there for 6 nights. We didn't use all of our points last year because we went to Europe so we had a little surplus - that's another reason we're trying BLT next year. I wouldn't normally waste so many points for 1 stay and I am not anticipating we'll stay there very often because it is a point hog.

How about a studio at VWL? Have you considered that? It is also super close to MK (the water taxi is fun) and would use a lot less points AND would be a lot larger studio than a BLT studio. I really liked the VWL studios - it is the first place I want to revisit after we finish trying out all the resorts. Really nice sized kitchenette - good counter space & lots of closet space too... You could always ask if there's availability. I assume you're going in Dream season (you mentioned end of August didn't you). A VWL studio is only 120 points there for a week at that time & extra weekday points are only 16 / night. We only have 250 points so we always use studios rather than larger units in order to save points and be able to have more trips so I am all about finding the best use of points. I do not concern myself too much with where the resort is located. We visit every park multiple times so it doesn't matter that much. What's an extra 5 minutes on a bus out of a 24 hour day. Some are closer some are further.

That's one of our family's age old questions! Length of stay vs. room size/view/time of year etc

I'd probably go with the studio for the longer stay. We don't spent a ton of time in our room anyway. We only get down to WDW once a year so stretching it out is our personal preference. Now we've never stayed in a studio since we have 4 kids so we always have a 2 bedroom. I could imagine though staying in a studio with just two of our kids no problem. :thumbsup2

If cost isn't that big of an issue (ie you could do a OOP stay your DH just doesn't want the hassle) I would rent more points from another member and stay at least 7 days in the one bedroom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter