• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magic Key Passes

The disclosure notice on the tickets and passes page has been completely rewritten as of today. Now mentions any litigation will take place in Orange County Ca as well as other wording changes.

View attachment 690436

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/magic-key-terms-conditions/

I’m seeing this in the current Magic Key Terms & Conditions. I have no idea if the Orange County language is new or not.

But, it’s in there with stuff about inherent dangers of theme park rides, physical injuries, and using video of you in ads and stuff. Seems a lot more focused on claims arising out of actually being in the park. Not so much targeted at claims relating to the pass itself.

I’d vote this doesn’t mean much. I mean, the terms and conditions also explicitly state that passes ARE available for renewal… so take that for what it’s worth.

Yeah, I'm not seeing this as a new thing or related to magic keys specifically, and that it's mostly related to physical concerns when present inside the resort (e.g. slip-and-fall, electrocution, vehicle accidents, etc...). The litigation requirement has always been Orange County.

To that end, I don't think even a T&C update can preempt the subject-matter jurisdiction of federal court, as that has been a venue in the past for those individuals filing under diversity jurisdiction.

But I'm not a lawyer, so what do I know? lol.

Imagine is there for me, I can see all 4, they just say unavailable.
I wonder if it's now checking to see if you are logged in and a CA resident. I tried both signed in and not signed in and still can't see it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220805-100351.png
    Screenshot_20220805-100351.png
    90.4 KB · Views: 7
I wonder if it's now checking to see if you are logged in and a CA resident. I tried both signed in and not signed in and still can't see it.
It’s always done that with certain tickets and passes. You never used to be able to see any of the SoCal level passes unless you had the right zip code. I do, so that’s probably why I see them. My zip is 15 minutes from the park all side streets.

Why on earth Disney would think that MKeys aren't 'paying attention' on weekends is beyond me!! I'm sure there are multiple 'hits' on the MK page 24/7 to check for renewal info.

I wonder if Disney is hoping to settle that lawsuit before release/renew of any sort of AP program. Pure speculation on my part and IANAL, but could it be that they're hoping to be able to tailor a new program, or at least new 'language' on the current one, to whatever the decision is to avoid another lawsuit? Or could the judge have put some kind of 'stay' on issuing renewals pending a settlement? Either would make sense if it's expected that the settlement will result in 'other than minor' changes to the program. Why do renewals now, if X weeks/months down the road they're going to have to revamp things based on the decision? I know it's not a class action suit, but if the plaintiff 'wins' others will/may file suit based on that decision.

But there is no 'rule' that says they have to offer renewals, right? They could just let the current program 'lapse' and the passes expire via 'attrition'. It would be 'easier' on Disney than another 'cancel/refund' like they did during the covid closure. That was a nightmare of calculations, prorations, refunds.

It would be more honest (and better PR) if Disney was up front about what they're 'thinking', though, even if it was just to say "We don't know what we're going to do". But that's never been their strong suit.

Last edited:
But there is no 'rule' that says they have to offer renewals, right? They could just let the current program 'lapse' and the passes expire via 'attrition'. It would be 'easier' on Disney than another 'cancel/refund' like they did during the covid closure. That was a nightmare of calculations, prorations, refunds.
This is true. Although Disney has announced that renewals will be made available to current Magic Key holders “this summer” 🤷‍♀️

This is true. Although Disney has announced that renewals will be made available to current Magic Key holders “this summer” 🤷‍♀️

We were told the same about Magic Bands, though. But when WDW's MB+ were released recently, the language for MBs at DL was changed from 'coming this summer' to (IIRC) 'later in 2022'.

At this point, I take any kind of 'coming/opening on X date/season' with a pretty big grain of salt. TPTB can and do change those dates arbitrarily with no rhyme or reason.

Last edited:
That’s usually when most price increases occur.

It has varied in past increases, but yes, they have often been on Sundays (2018 and 2019 were Sundays). February 11, 2020 and October 25, 2021 increases were on a Tuesday and Monday, respectively.

My point was just that Sundays are not immune to having a change happen as the person I was responding to was suggesting.

We were told the same about Magic Bands, though. But when WDW's MB+ were released recently, the language for MBs at DL was changed from 'coming this summer' to (IIRC) 'later in 2022'.

At this point, I take any kind of 'coming/opening on X date/season' with a pretty big grain of salt. TPTB can and do change those dates arbitrarily with no rhyme or reason.

Always said "coming in 2022" on everything I read. I only ever saw the summer language for WDW.

Why on earth Disney would think that MKeys aren't 'paying attention' on weekends is beyond me!! I'm sure there are multiple 'hits' on the MK page 24/7 to check for renewal info.

I wonder if Disney is hoping to settle that lawsuit before release/renew of any sort of AP program. Pure speculation on my part and IANAL, but could it be that they're hoping to be able to tailor a new program, or at least new 'language' on the current one, to whatever the decision is to avoid another lawsuit? Or could the judge have put some kind of 'stay' on issuing renewals pending a settlement? Either would make sense if it's expected that the settlement will result in 'other than minor' changes to the program. Why do renewals now, if X weeks/months down the road they're going to have to revamp things based on the decision? I know it's not a class action suit, but if the plaintiff 'wins' others will/may file suit based on that decision.

It would be more honest (and better PR) if Disney was up front about what they're 'thinking', though, even if it was just to say "We don't know what we're going to do". But that's never been their strong suit.
The problem with letting them expire with no renewals is that they will lose a ton of money. They need APs.

The problem with letting them expire with no renewals is that they will lose a ton of money. They need APs.
I'm firmly of the opinion Disney does not like annual passes. They know day ticket visitors spend way more at the parks than AP holders do. One night at GCH costs about the same as 1 AP. Have you walked in that place? It's packed out.

APs are probably chump change, but those pennies fill the gaps and provide a steady stream of visitors to the park.

I wouldn't be surprised if the thought, no matter how fleeting, has come up to jacking up day tickets to cover the cost of APs and see how it plays out. Obviously, this scenario will never happen but it is an interesting concept. I bet a lot of people would lay down extra coin for an improved experience.

In the end APs are probably necessary and will always be around. Just like this current situation. I'm still confident MKs will come back and I wouldn't be surprised if there are no changes other than blackout dates and some more air tight language regarding reservations.

Last edited:

It is actually classified as a class action lawsuit.

It is actually classified as a class action lawsuit.
Is it? When was it certified by the judge as a class action? Last I heard the judge allowed the suit by the individual plaintiff to proceed, but I didn't hear he'd classified it as a class action.

I've googled and can't find anything. If you have a source I'd like to read about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter