Marathon Weekend 2018

It is still very very possible ;)

I hope so! There are still many parts of the world woefully underrepresented at WS. I'd love to see a pavilion from South America (Brazil, anyone?), Eastern Europe, Sub-Saharan Africa or the Middle East.

... OMG Middle Eastern food is so good, and really healthy, too.

It was a whirlwind of announcements at D23, definitely. There was a huge rumour that Brazil was going to get mentioned, but it never came to be. That might be where you got your signals crossed.

still hope for the D23 event at Epcot coming up. Most are guessing they will clarify the announcements from the expo and possible add some new stuff (like a new country)

still hope for the D23 event at Epcot coming up. Most are guessing they will clarify the announcements from the expo and possible add some new stuff (like a new country)

Bob Chapek did say there is more in store for Epcot...

Oh yeah! I didn't say nothing's going to happen at Epcot, I really hope something does. All I'm saying is it hasn't happened, yet.

I'm honestly not that particularly excited about any of the announcements. I love that there are some big additions coming but none of them shout out to me. That said, talk to me in a few years when the announcements become reality and I'm sure I'll be excited to check them out

Saw a sports medicine doc today who diagnosed me with femoracetabular impingement. Basically my hip bones are squishing the cartilage and either irritating/inflaming it or possibly tearing it (MRI scheduled next week to know more). Anyone dealt with this issue before?

First step for now is 6-8 weeks of PT and no running. Hopefully that will allow things to calm down and align better so I can resume running without causing irritation again. Got the okay to bike, so hopefully I can maintain a fairly decent level of cardio with that. If I can't start training for Dopey by mid-September, I'm going to be...unhappy.

Saw a sports medicine doc today who diagnosed me with femoracetabular impingement. Basically my hip bones are squishing the cartilage and either irritating/inflaming it or possibly tearing it (MRI scheduled next week to know more). Anyone dealt with this issue before?

First step for now is 6-8 weeks of PT and no running. Hopefully that will allow things to calm down and align better so I can resume running without causing irritation again. Got the okay to bike, so hopefully I can maintain a fairly decent level of cardio with that. If I can't start training for Dopey by mid-September, I'm going to be...unhappy.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I know how hard it is to stay off your feet in the middle of training. Can you swim, as well as bike?

I'm really sorry to hear that. I'm glad rest and PT is likely to fix it, but so tough to have something like that when you have big races coming up. You are a strong runner though, so I know you can get where you need to be even with a short training lead up. Here's hoping the MRI goes well and that the PT and rest do their job quickly.

Last edited:

Oh boo, it's never cool when a fancy name goes with it! Never heard of it so no help, but bere's to rest & PT doing their job & maybe a little pixie dust!

Best of luck with the MRI, PT, and recovery. Hope the MRI results bring you some positive news [not worse than it already is]. 6 - 8 weeks will be over before you know it!

So sorry to hear this. I hope things heal as quickly as possible!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I know how hard it is to stay off your feet in the middle of training. Can you swim, as well as bike?

Thanks! Swimming is approved as well. I've done a little but I'm not a great swimmer and being at the mercy of the weather (outdoor pool) and limited pool hours doesn't allow for a lot of consistency.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I'm glad rest and PT is likely to fix it, but so tough to have something like that when you have big races coming up. You are a strong runner though, so I know you can get where you need to be even with a short training lead up. Here's hoping the MRI goes well and that the PT and rest do their job quickly.

Oh boo, it's never cool when a fancy name goes with it! Never heard of it so no help, but bere's to rest & PT doing their job & maybe a little pixie dust!

Best of luck with the MRI, PT, and recovery. Hope the MRI results bring you some positive news [not worse than it already is]. 6 - 8 weeks will be over before you know it!

So sorry to hear this. I hope things heal as quickly as possible!

Thanks, all!! I know this group fully appreciates the frustration. I feel like I've been planning this weekend forever already - race registration, booking hotel, flights, ADRs and now that it's FINALLY time to start training, I can't.

On a non-injury note, I splurged on race retreat for the day of the marathon, mostly to take advantage of early expo access. Supposedly there are character meets at the retreat? Can anyone who's done this in the past shed light on what to expect? Mostly wondering if it's the race theme character(s) (say, Goofey/Dopey) or something more random.

On a non-injury note, I splurged on race retreat for the day of the marathon, mostly to take advantage of early expo access. Supposedly there are character meets at the retreat? Can anyone who's done this in the past shed light on what to expect? Mostly wondering if it's the race theme character(s) (say, Goofey/Dopey) or something more random.

Last time, I think it was Judy Hopps and Nick Wilde from Zootopia - although I could be wrong. In 2016, it was Br'er Rabbit, Br'er Fox, and Br'er Bear one day and the Country Bears another day (although as I'm looking at pictures those two groups were there for the 5k and 10k breakfast when they had that, and I don't have pictures for the half and full day).

Happy Sunday everyone! I hope you all had a great week!

As always Sunday's are for Disney...

Today's question: You can choose only one Mickey shaped food item. What would you choose?

Those chocolate/vanilla shortbread cookies you can buy at the gift shops!

(Also Mickey Butter served with bread - I realize it's the same as what they serve now but special Butter shapes were cool!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter