Marathon Weekend 2018

Good gravy! That's a lot of merch! How much of this stuff disappears while Race Retreat members are in there?
No idea, but hot items can go fast though. I know in 2016 they were out of Dopey jackets when I went to the expo the Wed. evening, but they had I think almost everything else still.

So, a few months ago I was considering registering for the Marathon since it will be the 25th Anniversary and I want so bad to be a part of that. But for a number of reasons I never intended to register too far in advance, so I didn't and had kind of stopped thinking about it for a while. But this past weekend, I found out that my sister is signed up (she has a friend who did it last year and I knew the friend signed up a couple weeks ago but had no idea my sister did). So now it's back on my radar and I haven't ruled it out. I just can't really register since I have an uncertain job situation at this time and can't bring myself to drop the money. Hopefully something works out in the next couple months.
Hope it works out for you, at least I doubt the full will sell out so you've got that on your side :)

Last year went quite well actually. There were plenty of pins, jackets, shirts, etc for people to choose from that first day. The shoe ornament said were a hot item. I was happy to get one. I also got a dopey jacket.

Ugh, now I have to figure out how to get in there without a mob. I want in early, without having to buy a marathon which I have no intent on running.

Ugh, now I have to figure out how to get in there without a mob. I want in early, without having to buy a marathon which I have no intent on running.

Why do you have to be in early? If you get the race retreat for your girlfriend who is running the marathon, she can go buy anything needed during the expo early hours.

Why do you have to be in early? If you get the race retreat for your girlfriend who is running the marathon, she can go buy anything needed during the expo early hours.

I got a bib, also, but not for neither the half nor the full. I don't want to wait for a couple of hours until I can get mine.

The question is, can she grab my bib? Can I write something to say she's authorized to grab it in my stead?

I got a bib, also, but not for neither the half nor the full. I don't want to wait for a couple of hours until I can get mine.

The question is, can she grab my bib? Can I write something to say she's authorized to grab it in my stead?
5K merchandise doesn't go that fast so I don't think you have to worry.

She cannot get your bib, you must pick it up with an ID.

Ugh. Some other races allow this.

I found this thread from last year:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/packet-pick-up-services.3497431/

Did that actually come to pass? And did they keep doing this?
It was tested for that one race but did not continue. Again since you are doing the 5K you shouldn't have any problems with packet pick up. It has been located in the past just outside Champion Stadium. I find the expo to be nice experience with fellow runners all excited for their various races. Now there are times it can get a little crazy mostly due to merchandise but I have never had any major issues.

It was tested for that one race but did not continue. Again since you are doing the 5K you shouldn't have any problems with packet pick up. It has been located in the past just outside Champion Stadium. I find the expo to be nice experience with fellow runners all excited for their various races. Now there are times it can get a little crazy mostly due to merchandise but I have never had any major issues.

Fair enough. I'm thinking I didn't make my desired end result clear.

I want to get in to the Expo as early and get out as quickly as possible.

I'm not really interested in most of the merch in there, especially the non rD stuff. We've seen most of the general stuff at the expos at the various races, already. The only non rD "pavilion" we probably won't see anywhere else is the New Balance shoes. And one thing you guys have said is to not wear brand new anything before a race. The non rD stuff we'll get at the Philly Marathon expo, or we'll just find it online. That's why I asked about the rD stuff, specifically, and you guys said only a small selection is available for pre-order. Most of the stuff has to be grabbed from the expo, itself. That's fine, I can do without.

Barring that, that was also why I said "noon‽" when the expo times were released. That's a lot later than I wanted it to be. I could deal with 11, but noon cuts into some of my plans a lot more than I wanted it to, so I have to re-arrange a few things. I like 10, I'd do even earlier if possible, or even not go at all, which was why I dug up that old thread last post. I would have loved getting our bibs delivered to the hotel; we wouldn't have had to go to the expo at all! More time to do park stuff. That's no longer being offered.

10 o'clock is reserved for Race Retreat purchasers. Great, my girlfriend could get her Dopey stuff. I'm still stuck until noon waiting for my 5k bib. I'm not going to do anything at Disney without her, and she won't without me, save run the other three races. That was why I also asked if there was a way I could authorize her to pick up my bib. She could get in, get both our bibs, get out, I don't mind waiting outside 20-30 minutes. I do have a problem with waiting 2 hours.

If ChEAR Squad Platinum offered early expo entry along with the Race Retreat people, I'd've already purchased both. Because CSP doesn't, I hesitated buying either one. My girl and I talked about it, and because of that restriction, we've decided not to buy neither the ChEAR Squad nor the Race Retreat at all.

My original plan was to eat at The Wave for breakfast (mmmmm, (not so) unlimited mimosas), go to the expo by 10, get our stuff, spend the day at Epcot. Now it's looking like we may either QS breakfast, or look for a PPO (good luck Felis), and hit Epcot at rope drop. Sometime around 11:30-1:00 or so, walk over to BC/YC and take the bus from there to the expo.

So I talked with my girl about this. We found a reservation at The Wave for 7:30 that morning. We booked that, and then plan to hit Epcot by rope drop or shortly thereafter. Around 11:30 to 1:00, we'll go the BC/YC and grab a bus to the expo.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Does anyone know when they will release the days for ROL during Marathon week-end? I was just on WDW site and noticed times for all other night shows (except SW fireworks actually) are listed...

Last year went quite well actually. There were plenty of pins, jackets, shirts, etc for people to choose from that first day. The shoe ornament said were a hot item. I was happy to get one. I also got a dopey jacket.
No idea, but hot items can go fast though. I know in 2016 they were out of Dopey jackets when I went to the expo the Wed. evening, but they had I think almost everything else still.
I think in general there tends to be one or two items that sell out every race. For example 2016 Dopey Jackets, at the Disneyland Half in 2016 it was the Ogio bags, at the 2017 Marathon weekend it was the 1/2 marathon pin.

Depending on when you arrive there can be a long line even to get into packet pickup particularly at open. I know there was this year on Thursday morning before the expo opened. I think that line goes down pretty quickly. I remember seeing pictures on facebook of the line to get into the EXPO building on Weds last year and it was really long on Wednesday.

I think in general there tends to be one or two items that sell out every race. For example 2016 Dopey Jackets, at the Disneyland Half in 2016 it was the Ogio bags, at the 2017 Marathon weekend it was the 1/2 marathon pin.

Depending on when you arrive there can be a long line even to get into packet pickup particularly at open. I know there was this year on Thursday morning before the expo opened. I think that line goes down pretty quickly. I remember seeing pictures on facebook of the line to get into the EXPO building on Weds last year and it was really long on Wednesday.
I do remember that. I've luckily never experienced that.

IDK if I just hit it at exactly the wrong time, or what, but 2017 Marathon expo was second only to opening day of PHM 2013 in gnarliest expo experience for me! I arrived by car at noon - couldn't even cross Osceola (I was on Victory Way) when the light turned green, traffic was so backed up. I bailed and went to CSR to eat, then tried again around 1pm. Got into the parking lot no problem, no line to enter WWOS... but a loooong line to enter the building for Dopey pickup. It moved at a good clip, but lots of going around and around the queue. When I got out of there, the line to enter the actual expo in the J Center was stretched all the way around the fields, so I skipped it entirely and bought nothing. Sunday night I bought a Dopey mug in MK and that was the entirety of my "race" merchandise haul lol!

I also got a dopey jacket.
If this was not the preorder kind can you post a picture...pretty please!!!

I want to get in to the Expo as early and get out as quickly as possible.
I picked up my Bibs, picked up my pre-orders, did one circuit of the merchandise, made 2 purchases and was back on a bus to my hotel in 60 minutes!! Packet pick-up is really well organized and fast! I also walk at cheetah pace, and was not overwhelmed by crowds at all! That was late afternoon on the first day of the Expo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter