Marathon Weekend 2018

So freaking excited! I just wish it wasn't so cold for training, it aggrivates every old injury.

Oh, yes to thinking of it in small segments. Even though I run for time on long runs, I play math mind games the whole run, get 6 in, then just 4 more & I'm at 10, then add 3, oh 13 already...then just 4 oh it's already 17 or even smaller chunks, anything to keep the mind from dreading it.
OK, thanks again to all of you for your encouragement!

Honestly if I hadn't registered, booked flights, and told all my friends and family I was doing this I'd probably back out! But I guess I'm committed! One run at a time, and 9 weeks to go until my first ever full marathon.

For those of you Northerners - what you done with long runs in the winter? Not sure if I should go to the indoor track at my University or try to run outside. It's +10F in Winnipeg today....

For those of you Northerners - what you done with long runs in the winter? Not sure if I should go to the indoor track at my University or try to run outside. It's +10F in Winnipeg today....

Depends on your tolerance for cold and amount you're willing to spend on cold weather running clothes. I personally like my Columbia Base Layer running gear: Shirt and Pants. I combine these with a jacket and some other items and have run in as cold as -25F WC for 9 miles and -10F WC for 18 miles. For me, my hands tend to get the coldest first so I usually wear something graded for skiing.

OK, thanks again to all of you for your encouragement!

Honestly if I hadn't registered, booked flights, and told all my friends and family I was doing this I'd probably back out! But I guess I'm committed! One run at a time, and 9 weeks to go until my first ever full marathon.

I layer up, I probably go more layers then some but I hate cold. For me my thighs & butt have the most trouble in the winter so like today was heavy tights and fleece lined pants over them about 28 when I started so not as cold as you. I do mittens for my hands and a face mask sometimes even or when real cold my balaclava. If it's colder I'll add another layer, I don't care if I'm bulky. I'm lucky enough in my daily life that I can reschedule my long runs around the weather, so if my normal long run day looks terrible I'll move it to what may be a smidge warm &/or less windy. I will not go out on icy roads, blizzards or if the windchill is terrible (nothing blocks the wind where I usually run). If it's like 10-20 degrees and no wind I can manage a short run, but I go lots slower as I don't want to pull something.

I'm sure once there running at Disney you'll do great, but yeah one mile at a time & you'll get there!

For Disney 2013, I trained outside almost exclusively (I'm in Pennsylvania).

This time, I will probably try to do the same, but I might do some long-ish runs on the treadmill - in my basement - near our woodburner. It will help simulate super hot conditions that we might experience (it was 90 degrees in 2013, and we were on pavement. I wanted to die). If my body gets used to running in the cold too much, it might be harder for me to keep pace when it is 50+ degrees warmer in Florida.

For Disney 2013, I trained outside almost exclusively (I'm in Pennsylvania).

This time, I will probably try to do the same, but I might do some long-ish runs on the treadmill - in my basement - near our woodburner. It will help simulate super hot conditions that we might experience (it was 90 degrees in 2013, and we were on pavement. I wanted to die). If my body gets used to running in the cold too much, it might be harder for me to keep pace when it is 50+ degrees warmer in Florida.

Another option to help prepare for training in winter but racing in the unpredictable Florida weather is heat acclimation training outside (similar to your strategy on the treadmill):

So during most of your training you'll be wearing just enough clothes to border on being cold when training outside but staying comfortable. When you enter those last two weeks of training during your taper, switch to overdressing on everyday. It takes approximately 8-10 workouts to acclimate to a different condition (thus for people who run 4+ times per week about 2 weeks).

For example, for a cold workout I might wear columbia long sleeve, tights, and gloves. This would keep me comfortable in the cold weather but wouldn't hinder my performance. But during the taper during the same workout, I'd wear two columbia long sleeves, a cheap running jacket, two pairs of tights, and gloves. It was INCREDIBLY hot and uncomfortable to run in. I didn't care about pace anymore because I was in the taper. I was more concerned with giving the same effort but in this simulated heated environment. By wearing a poorly circulating running jacket, I semi-created a humid environment close to my skin (not allowing the moisture to leave). It is ABSOLUTELY critical that you continue to drink water as if it were a hot environment because this technique will dehydrate you very quickly and you'd like to continue to recover (taper) in advance of the race as well. Also, be very careful during your cool down because without the massive heat being generated by your body you'll get cold quick because of the sweat.

I used this Heat Acclimation strategy in preparation for the 2016/2017 Dopey Challenge. The 2016 marathon was relatively hot and humid (Temp + Dew Point of 140) compared to when I left WI (WC of -50F). That year was the slowest Disney Marathon winning time (2:33) ever. The winner, Fredison Costa, mentioned while accepting the award that he was about 15 minutes off his predicted time (because of the weather). That year, I was roughly 10 minutes off my time (3:45 vs 3:55) using my Heat Acclimation strategy even though I came from the frozen tundra. Is it perfect? Of course not. But it certainly can help make some of the necessary physiological changes in the body to enable you to be better prepared for racing in the heat (on the completely unknown chance it'll be T+D of 140 or like this past year with a T+D of 67).

The wife and I broke down and got annual passes for this year. Already signed up for 2 race weekends, and the DVC discount was too good to pass up. Might have to go wine and dine as well to make it an even better deal. We will see.

Like the way we rationalize getting our money’s worth out of annual pssses by signing up for more race weekends. Did the same thing. :)

Depends on your tolerance for cold and amount you're willing to spend on cold weather running clothes. I personally like my Columbia Base Layer running gear: Shirt and Pants. I combine these with a jacket and some other items and have run in as cold as -25F WC for 9 miles and -10F WC for 18 miles. For me, my hands tend to get the coldest first so I usually wear something graded for skiing.
Yep - it is all about the gear.

Made my fastpasses, it's getting real guys!

I also ran my first actual marathon last weekend (Savannah Rock n' Roll - super hot, but nice course). Now I'm trying to do the Higdon plan for like 8 weeks between marathons (which is about right for Goofy I think) - but would you guys do anything different from a regular marathon plan to prep for the Goofy?

I feel pretty good, and even did a run yesterday and this morning, but somehow the half + full is freaking me out a little bit now.

Also, does anyone know how you go about requesting a late checkout? I wasn't sure if that was something I should do now or if I needed to wait until closer to the trip.

Hope everyone's training is going well! We are so close, and I am so excited to be back in Disney!

I will agree with others about being skeptical of only running two 16 mile long runs on my @DopeyBadger plan, but I finished my first marathon on Saturday and only have a little bit of

I also ran my first actual marathon last weekend (Savannah Rock n' Roll - super hot, but nice course). Now I'm trying to do the Higdon plan for like 8 weeks between marathons (which is about right for Goofy I think) - but would you guys do anything different from a regular marathon plan to prep for the Goofy?

I feel pretty good, and even did a run yesterday and this morning, but somehow the half + full is freaking me out a little bit now.

Also, does anyone know how you go about requesting a late checkout? I wasn't sure if that was something I should do now or if I needed to wait until closer to the trip.

Hope everyone's training is going well! We are so close, and I am so excited to be back in Disney!

I was there too! Super hot and those last few miles were torture, so congrats to you!

I have no suggestions, I am just doing a condensed plan as well and will not be trying for a PR (I am only doing the full at WDW).

Congrats on your first marathon!

For late check out, I guess call the reservation line or ask your travel agent if you used one. I would think you could add the request now to your room reservation but does Disney even do late checkouts? Might be especially hard for them to grant on race weekends because a lot of folks would be trying to do it.

Just wanted to mention Splash Mountain will be going down for a second refurbishment starting January 8th. If you previously booked this as a FP you have/will be notified and I believe given a different FP.

It just sort of hit me that the conclusion of Dopey is in 2 months. It's happening
:jumping1: So excited I've started having Disney Parks dreams!!

switch to overdressing on everyday
I can attest that this strategy works. Where I live we train all winter for our Spring Marathon-which inevitably always falls on the hottest day in May. So over dressing throughout April is the only way I can deal with the humidity come race day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter