Marathon Weekend 2020

I’ve been lurking for awhile, but this is my first time posting because I’ve got a massage question. I’m running the marathon and it’s my first, and my sister booked me a Swedish massage for that afternoon as a Christmas present. I’ve read online that you’re not really supposed to get a massage after on the same day as a big race because it’s too much for your muscles.

But I don’t really have the timing flexibility to change the date. But I’m not terribly fast, and since it’s a Swedish massage and not, like, deep tissue, might I be okay? (I should add that I’ve never gotten a massage before either). Does anyone have any experience with getting one after a marathon? Did you survive?

I’ve been lurking for awhile, but this is my first time posting because I’ve got a massage question. I’m running the marathon and it’s my first, and my sister booked me a Swedish massage for that afternoon as a Christmas present. I’ve read online that you’re not really supposed to get a massage after on the same day as a big race because it’s too much for your muscles.

But I don’t really have the timing flexibility to change the date. But I’m not terribly fast, and since it’s a Swedish massage and not, like, deep tissue, might I be okay? (I should add that I’ve never gotten a massage before either). Does anyone have any experience with getting one after a marathon? Did you survive?
You’ll be fine. Don’t be shy telling your therapist about what to focus on and what to stay away from. After my last LR, I would have paid big bucks for a shoulder and foot massage.

Still got the remnants of the cold lurking hoping I'll be up to hitting the mill tomorrow.

Funny how much my Dec trip ended up affecting my Jan trip. And not just the cold. I was flip flopping between Cape May or 'Ohana's after the 5k. We ended up at Cape May's for a late breakfast on the 17th so I went that route again going for a slightly later time then I had originally planned, to allow enough time for shower, grab a boarding group, and get to Beach Club (not in that order of course). And ended up going with Morimoto's for dinner after the half. I didn't have much love for Disney Springs back in the Downtown Disney days and my friend dragging me to Raglan's may have been the best thing thats happened to me in a long time.

I see that the vendor map has numbers now, but can't find anywhere saying what vendors will be at the expo and what booth they are in. Does that usually come out closer to the event weekend?

Merry Christmas everyone!

Another nervous first-time marathoner question here. We're arriving on Tuesday the 7th before the marathon. How much should I be limiting park time before the race? We've got a pretty hardcore day planned on the 9th (DD's birthday, she wanted to do DHS for ROTR then AK after-hours). I'm planning on taking things pretty easy on the 11th. Should I be planning to sneak in a few easy runs during the week or will park time be enough on my feet? We're doing a split stay between BRV and BLT, so I've got good running options.

One marathon weekend I did a massage with DW after the half before the full. I think DW did a more traditional relaxing massage and I did the sports, deep tissue (ow, ow, ow ) massage. I think I felt pretty good afterwards, but during it was pretty rough. I've also gotten post race massages at other races and usually they feel pretty good. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Another nervous first-time marathoner question here. We're arriving on Tuesday the 7th before the marathon. How much should I be limiting park time before the race? We've got a pretty hardcore day planned on the 9th (DD's birthday, she wanted to do DHS for ROTR then AK after-hours). I'm planning on taking things pretty easy on the 11th. Should I be planning to sneak in a few easy runs during the week or will park time be enough on my feet? We're doing a split stay between BRV and BLT, so I've got good running options.

Part of it depends on your expectations. There are a lot of people on here that don't really want to sacrifice family fun time for better race performance. I'm usually in that camp. Since it's your first marathon I might ease up a little on the park days on Friday and Saturday but I wouldn't avoid the parks. I probably wouldn't do a lot of additional runs beyond the park time, maybe a short 1 or 2 miler. ( I like Hanson's tapering strategy though so I decrease volume but not necessarily the intensity. )

I have same problem with my 3rd and 4th toes curling under and bruising nail. I finally got a regimen of keeping nail really short, filing the top edge of nail as smooth as I can and then applying glide liberally so that it will slide and not blister/bruise/tear off nail. Been working really well for last 3months...keeping my fingers (?toes) crossed that it works for the full.

I have a similar issues. For me copious amounts of glide or Injiji socks are the two things that make a difference.

RACE -Half
NAME -Ryan (Will be running with DS Noah)
DIS'er name - IamTrike
Costume/Clothing -Live action Aladdin. (Noah will be Eugene Fitzherbert )
Corral -
Hopefully B based on my submitted POT
Pre-Race Meet-up? - (Yes or No) Maybe
Early Bird or Late Arriver - Early
Front, Middle, or Back of corral -
Front
Expected Pace -Running pace will be somewhere sub 9 but we'll be stopping for every picture.

RACE -Full
NAME -Ryan
DIS'er name
-Iamtrike
Costume/Clothing -No costume planned.... I still have a time.
Corral - B
Pre-Race Meet-up? - (Yes or No) Yes
Early Bird or Late Arriver - Early
Front, Middle, or Back of corral - No idea.
Expected Pace -
I have no idea.... Not sure if I want to run with the 3:50 Pace Group, or try and run with some of you.

Unless you are going for a BQ or something, enjoy the parks and have fun! I would probably try to get in a couple of 2-3 milers (maybe on Weds and Friday) just to help shake things out.

Ok, I've been lurking for quite a while. I'm excited for my first Dopey (and Run Disney event). I lost my passion for running in 2018. I found that passion again at the beginning of 2019 and committed myself to completing this challenge. Running is such an important outlet for me. 5 half marathons completed this year, including 2 PRs last month. I ran in the monsoon that was the Marine Corps Marathon. I've lost nearly 40 pounds since last Christmas. And I just completed a solid Mock Dopey this past weekend. I'm ready to make the trip in 2 weeks!
I was at MCM too - that weather was AWFUL! Congrats on the weight loss - you are going to love Dopey!

My participation has been down because I have been equal parts lazy/terrible and injured, haven’t trained to the level I want, and I’m embarrassed. My flat feet have caught up to me and I have had really bad heel spurs for much of the year but it’s no excuse. I haven’t lived up to any of my goals and this Dopey is going to be a personal disaster. I’m going to have a great vacation with my family and get out there and give it my best shot, but I don’t know what’s going to happen. I’m not in a good headspace about my fitness; added to my social anxiety in the best of times I’m not sure I’d bring much to the celebration that Marathon Weekend should be so I’ll probably avoid any meetups.
Sorry you have been injured - go out there, give it your best - it may go better than you think! Enjoy the time at Disney with your family.

Also I’m staying at Pop...should I bring bagels/snacks from home or should I plan on taking an Uber to Walmart my first day?
I used Instacart last year (Publix) and found it affordable and easy. Garden Grocer is great but you do need to order in advance. A case of water, and extra water to fill your bottles, will end up saving you $$$ in the long run given what Disney charges for a bottle of water!

I have packing on the brain today. I’m trying to come up with my packing list. What are some items you like to bring to race weekends that I might be forgetting? I’ve got the basics down like clothes, shoes and fuel. Also I’m staying at Pop...should I bring bagels/snacks from home or should I plan on taking an Uber to Walmart my first day?

Sunscreen. Disposable rain gear. Disposable winter gear for the morning wait. Hand warmers. First aid for blisters. Toenail clippers. Water bottle if you carry one. Running/fuel belt if you use one. Extra body glide or tape. Anything you use to treat old injuries when they flare up.

After the humidity played havoc with my knees in 2018, in 2019 I brought my heating pad along with an extension cord. Of course I didn’t need it since the weather was so different, but I had it.

Is runners square unavailable at this point? I am trying to sign up. It sends me to the registration for races that all say full. There is no link saying runners square is full, it is not on the list at all.

Honestly, I do not change my park time and have run the marathon 4 times. (Finished 3 times including 2018) Remember to stay hydrated and don't eat too much greasy or salty food.
I do try to do an early morning jog, (I know dirty word), very relaxed. Stretch in the pool and make sure to get some sleep.

I have packing on the brain today. I’m trying to come up with my packing list. What are some items you like to bring to race weekends that I might be forgetting? I’ve got the basics down like clothes, shoes and fuel. Also I’m staying at Pop...should I bring bagels/snacks from home or should I plan on taking an Uber to Walmart my first day?
I have used amazon prime now twice. It was super easy. Bell service delivered everything to my room.

Another nervous first-time marathoner question here.
I am glad someone else is nervous about their first marathon too! I followed my training plan, but I am still worried about not finishing. I am trying to think positive thoughts and visualize myself finishing, but it is still panicking me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter