Marathon Weekend 2023

Were they asked to limit the size to some extent because things are already crowded at the parks in general with the 50th?
This prediction would make sense to me. The runDisney weekends were intentionally made to be generally slower park times right? If that’s not the case anymore and MW is near New Years, maybe they do have limited capacity given expected traffic elsewhere.
The only reason for any kind of expanded demand for the CC was it wasn't there this year.
I also wonder if the removal of APs, dining plans, etc. with no renewal in sight has created a culture of fear that something will be taken away. So people are doing events now out of fear that they won’t get the opportunity again

Does any have a link to the course maps from last year? Curious to see how they were laid out. Thanks!

Does any have a link to the course maps from last year? Curious to see how they were laid out. Thanks!
I’m pretty sure they take them down from the site as the event guides change for a different race weekend. There are tons of websites that have the maps on them though. It’s an easy search.

I’m pretty sure they take them down from the site as the event guides change for a different race weekend. There are tons of websites that have the maps on them though. It’s an easy search.
Thanks yeah I started on RD website. I will try other search’s in general to see what comes up. Just don’t want to find any suspect websites:)

Thanks for sharing this! This is my first time seeing the course - the last time I ran it included ESPN. Didn't realise so much had changed, big differences being Epcot park time at the start so extra miles before MK and AK (I'm sure Everest previously was pretty much around the halfway point) which are all good changes in my mind!

Anyone who ran the old ESPN and new course have any opinions on how they compared or things to note?

I know some people HATED that ESPN section I actually enjoyed it as there was lots of character stops with zero wait times and all the characters were in their sportswear.

Thanks for sharing this! This is my first time seeing the course - the last time I ran it included ESPN. Didn't realise so much had changed, big differences being Epcot park time at the start so extra miles before MK and AK (I'm sure Everest previously was pretty much around the halfway point) which are all good changes in my mind!

Anyone who ran the old ESPN and new course have any opinions on how they compared or things to note?

I'm not sure one is better than the other, just different. Running through Epcot at the start is similar to how the course was 8-10 years ago, though it's more crowded than it was then because they are not using the Red and Blue course options. I find that a quiet and serene way to get into the groove of 26 miles. The section from AK to DHS through Blizzard Beach is not at all interesting to me. I prefer the route heading down Osceola and through ESPN. The new course hits Everest later, making it possible for more people to be able to ride it during the race. When it came at roughly halfway, the faster runners tended to miss out. MK comes later in the race with the current course which means some of the slower runners do not run down Main Street in the dark with the castle lights still on, though the new 5am start time helps alleviate this somewhat. Cone alley comes later in the race now and tends to be a bit less crowded.

Again, I don't think the course with ESPN or the current one are materially better or worse than each other. They're simply different in a few ways.

FWIW it seems like the only one that might change year-to-year is the 10k, and even that one starts and ends at Epcot, it’s just a matter of where it loops from there. It’s a very good bet that otherwise what you see here will be what you’d get in 2023.

I'm not sure one is better than the other, just different. Running through Epcot at the start is similar to how the course was 8-10 years ago, though it's more crowded than it was then because they are not using the Red and Blue course options. I find that a quiet and serene way to get into the groove of 26 miles. The section from AK to DHS through Blizzard Beach is not at all interesting to me. I prefer the route heading down Osceola and through ESPN. The new course hits Everest later, making it possible for more people to be able to ride it during the race. When it came at roughly halfway, the faster runners tended to miss out. MK comes later in the race with the current course which means some of the slower runners do not run down Main Street in the dark with the castle lights still on, though the new 5am start time helps alleviate this somewhat. Cone alley comes later in the race now and tends to be a bit less crowded.

Again, I don't think the course with ESPN or the current one are materially better or worse than each other. They're simply different in a few ways.
Though the castle hasn't had lights for a few years now. They changed them to projections.

MouseGen on YouTube has really great videos of most of the recent races - he ran Dopey, Fairy Tale Challenge and the Springtime Surprise Challenge this year, as well as the Wine & Dine races in 2021. He even stops for almost all of the characters. Highly recommend his videos!

https://youtube.com/c/MouseGen

I think he’s said that he films then with the thought that someone could have it going while running on the treadmill. I think that would make me feel ill but it’s a cool idea.

Since the race starts earlier (like you mention), you still may hit Everest too early to ride - probably similar timing as when it was at the halfway point with a 5:30 start.

Also, this year, (did I start one corral earlier than I usually do??), it was weird because I hit Epcot before/right as the park was opening! They were holding people back before they let them in, so there weren’t all the spectators like normal. Part of that had to do with them opening Epcot in January later than they used to (~10??).

Also, this year, (did I start one corral earlier than I usually do??), it was weird because I hit Epcot before/right as the park was opening! They were holding people back before they let them in, so there weren’t all the spectators like normal. Part of that had to do with them opening Epcot in January later than they used to (~10??).

They did the fast start for the marathon on Sunday. A lot of people started the race about a half an hour before they normally would.

OK, so nobody really knows anything, but here is my guess. runDisney is purposely keeping a low profile until they figure out what to do. We don't know what options are even available but could include:
  1. Do nothing; all the bibs available have been sold
  2. Release some of the bibs they held back on registration day (if they did), either a few at a time, or all at once
  3. Increase the field by perhaps 5,000 for each race and have a supplemental registration. I can't imagine their IT system is capable of identifying who was in the original queue and started registration when the sell-out occurred, or that runDisney would even attempt to even if possible
  4. Open up spots for new and renewing platinum Club runDisney folks who have not already signed up for a race
  5. Other options or variations on these options
My guess is most likely #1, or maybe #2. It would be very interesting to see the response to #4, both from the Clubbers and the non-Clubbers

I think it's definitely #1, but how clever and a great selling tool if they allowed anyone signing up for the Platinum Club to be able to register for WDW Marathon weekend. Yes, it would upset a lot of people, but I really don't think they care. Look how many folks were upset when AP/DVC early registration went away - didn't change a thing.

I know some people HATED that ESPN section I actually enjoyed it as there was lots of character stops with zero wait times and all the characters were in their sportswear.
My read on the new course is that it has a bit more balance than the old one. Every 6-7 miles you hit a park: Epcot at 3, MK at 10, AK at 16, HS at 23, then Epcot again at the end. With the old one you got a verrrrry long stretch between AK and HS, and as you mention, I don't think a lot of people were thrilled with ESPN as a feature of that route.

I will say that I still didn't like the mile 17-23 portion of the 2022 race. It was getting hot, very quiet, and the one reprieve was the BB parking lot. IMO the toughest portion of either of the two marathons I've done so far (Chicago being the first). I just don't think you'll have a lot of happy customers either way, it's just a tough, barren section.

I preferred the old version, TBH. Starting in EP instead of open highways leads to some serious crowding early in the race: I preferred getting into a groove early with room to do my run-walk pace unimpeded. And that “scenic” tour of BB’s parking lot is a real downgrade from WWOS, IMO. Western Way is the new Victory Way, so that’s a wash.

I very much prefer the new course! Leaving MK and being nearly halfway was a great feeling. Yes, the bit after AK is mentally challenging, and the BB part is a joke, but it's better than the long slog on Osceola parkway with only ESPN to look forward to at the end IMHO.
My only hope is that they include more HS time - I remember the "good old days" with the disco tunnel and lots of HS time.

My favorite part of the course is the initial run through Epcot. I love running through that park before the sun comes up. I never ran the ESPN course but I'd much rather hit Epcot twice and the short BB route than spend a bunch of time at WWoS.

I preferred the old version, TBH. Starting in EP instead of open highways leads to some serious crowding early in the race: I preferred getting into a groove early with room to do my run-walk pace unimpeded. And that “scenic” tour of BB’s parking lot is a real downgrade from WWOS, IMO. Western Way is the new Victory Way, so that’s a wash.
Add me to the list that much preferred the old course. While going through Epcot twice is nice, it was crowded at the start (especially with the quick start this year). I actually enjoyed WWoS. I like the short track section and running into the ballpark was a blast. And more real bathrooms!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter